Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So now what?

EmerwynEmerwyn Member Posts: 70

In the 10 days since release, I have:

* Reached level 80

* Completed all the areas I came across to 100%, including Orr ones (except Straits of Devastation which I left at 98% because in my server there is a skill point bugged ever since pre-release)

* Leveled Artificier and Tailor to 400 and crafted myself a full Rare/Exotic (orange) gear set, weapons included (with seldom Trading Post aid - stil not working most of the time).

*Finished the story mode and all the instances, including Arah in Explorable mode with a PuG (someone said this was supposed to be a challenge for the months to come?).

* I don't like the PvP in GW2. (WvW is Wintergrasp all over but even more zergy, structured PvP is broken and completely off balance in every possible imaginable way).

So, what is left for me to do?

Sure, I've played 5-10 hours a day, but I'm noticing people are already quitting the game, and 10 days after I started playing this mmo what can I do to entertain myself? Because I remember how GW1 got me addicted for months and was so much more challenging and difficult to progress through and achieve your goals. But here it appears I've reached all the goals I'd care for in barely a week.

Mind that I'm not complaining that I didn't get my budget for the price I paid, since I've paid the same for games I've uninstalled in 2-3 days and I've still felt satisfied. But I've come from playing WoW during over six years, and I refuse to believe 10 days is all I'm getting from this "new Jesus in mmo form". 

"Get a life" comments, please abstain. The fact that anyone replies here means they at least care about playing mmo's and voicing their opinions as much as I do. I'd like comprehensive replies as to what can I really look forward to now in Guild Wars 2, anything that a PvE'er like me could find somewhat entertaining other than farming low level hearts in other starting areas. Those are just a disguised form of grind, and a tedious one at that.

This is not a troll post, either. It sounds snarky because I feel deceived, but I'm actually hoping someone will tell me what I'm missing that will make GW2 a long-term source of fun as it was promised to be.

Comments

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    CS:GO for PvP
  • DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

To be fair, GW1 had a TON of time wasted just moving around.  So naturally a lot of the content lasted longer.  That said, I'm pretty sure anyone could finish any of the campaigns and get top level armor in 10 days.  So how did it maintain your interest?

That said, explorable mode dungeons have more than one way to go through them.  You could also work getting new weapons, armor appearances, etc, etc.  There's actually a large variety out there.

Have you done all the puzzles and mini-dungeons in the world?

Very likely there are a lot of DEs you haven't seen yet, if that interests you.

PvP will get more structured as time goes on.  You have to remember this less than two weeks since release.  It does need some sort regarding queues and so forth, but that will come, I'm sure.  Sucks to have to wait, however.  There's still structured PvP as an option, however.

There's also a lot of stuff you can mess around with regarding your class build, I'm sure.  Every class I've looked at has a ton of intriguing options for level 80 builds that really change how the class is played.  Similarly, classes generally play quite a bit differently from each other, so you could see how you like another class.

• SchwaSchwa Member Posts: 29

I'm not saying this to troll you, because I believe that you should be able to play the game however you want to play it.

But if you put in the amount of hours required to do all of what you said you did (you said 5-10 hours, sounds about right, but I bet you low-balled it) you are probably burnt out already.

Take a break. 

And it's okay to take a break, because you don't have a subscription fee holding you hostage  :)

edit: typing

Originally posted by Schwa

I'm not saying this to troll you, because I believe that you should be able to play the game however you want to play it.

But if you put int he amount of hours required to do all of what you said you did (you said 5-10 hours, sounds about right, but I bet you low-balled it) you are probably burnt out already.

Take a break. 

And it's okay to take a break, because you don't have a subscription fee holding you hostage  :)

Certainly taking a break is an option too.

But I would point out that if GW1 entertained him for a long time, then certainly GW2 should do the same if he likes the gameplay.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

I have a feeling GW1 was probably one of your first MMOs, which meant that you were still learning the system. I beat GW1 2-3 weeks every time after a new addition was released. The only reason I kept playing was PvP and trying to make my character look cool. GW2 isn't different in that regard. Not sure why you were expecting more? Of course, once all the bugs are worked out, I'm sure that ANET will release a couple free content updates.

I also think you have rose colored glasses for GW1. The PvP in GW1 was horribly imbalanced. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    There is now way you did all that playing 5 hours a day, closer to the 10 or even more.  What do you expect, you blew threw the game.  Might try this thing called getting a life or going outside.
  • Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

Sounds like you are an "Achiever" personality on the Bartle scale.

I'd be pretty positive that you haven't seen nearly all the DEs and Secret Areas while leveling up (no, sorry, 100% map exploration won't get you that) but seeing them involves taking your time. Playing this game "optimally" means not playing it efficiently.

http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/interviews/dynamic-events-dev-journal-colin-johanson

WoW kept you playing for 6 years because it had weekly lockouts and long gear grinds...

Although if you do have interest in the cosmetic Legendary Items you can start grinding out your Skill Points and working on them.

This is a game designed more for explorers and casual players. You can take a break for several months or a year. You can roll an alt and take your time. You can decide it was "just too casual" and head over to Pandaland or wherever else your fancy takes you. TSW is a good game that you should be able to completely play through in the first 30 days.

You can chug a fine scotch or you can savour and sip it. As long as you enjoyed it all is good, but what you get out of the experience will be directly related to how you approached it.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Unfortunatly for all the die hard hopefuls this game has no real end game. Which means most the population will be back to WoW in 2 months time. You still get your moneys worth so i guess it doesn't matter but those hoping for the entire genre to change and WoW to die will be sorely disappointed.
  • tabindextabindex Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Shatter30
    There is now way you did all that playing 5 hours a day, closer to the 10 or even more.  What do you expect, you blew threw the game.  Might try this thing called getting a life or going outside.

Good MMO's replace real life.

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by Emerwyn

* Reached level 80

* Completed all the areas I came across to 100%, including Orr ones (except Straits of Devastation which I left at 98% because in my server there is a skill point bugged ever since pre-release)

* Leveled Artificier and Tailor to 400 and crafted myself a full Rare/Exotic (orange) gear set, weapons included (with seldom Trading Post aid - stil not working most of the time).

*Finished the story mode and all the instances, including Arah in Explorable mode with a PuG (someone said this was supposed to be a challenge for the months to come?).

* I don't like the PvP in GW2. (WvW is Wintergrasp all over but even more zergy, structured PvP is broken and completely off balance in every possible imaginable way).

So, what is left for me to do?

Sure, I've played 5-10 hours a day, but I'm noticing people are already quitting the game, and 10 days after I started playing this mmo what can I do to entertain myself? Because I remember how GW1 got me addicted for months and was so much more challenging and difficult to progress through and achieve your goals. But here it appears I've reached all the goals I'd care for in barely a week.

Mind that I'm not complaining that I didn't get my budget for the price I paid, since I've paid the same for games I've uninstalled in 2-3 days and I've still felt satisfied. But I've come from playing WoW during over six years, and I refuse to believe 10 days is all I'm getting from this "new Jesus in mmo form". 

"Get a life" comments, please abstain. The fact that anyone replies here means they at least care about playing mmo's and voicing their opinions as much as I do. I'd like comprehensive replies as to what can I really look forward to now in Guild Wars 2, anything that a PvE'er like me could find somewhat entertaining other than farming low level hearts in other starting areas. Those are just a disguised form of grind, and a tedious one at that.

This is not a troll post, either. It sounds snarky because I feel deceived, but I'm actually hoping someone will tell me what I'm missing that will make GW2 a long-term source of fun as it was promised to be.

You had to add the red part?

Well to my answer your telling me you have done every single explorable mode path in every of the 8 dungeons?

Then i guess all thats left for you is to do them again untill you get all the cosmetic armor parts you want and while doing that gathering skill points instead of lvling up past 80 to get the 200 skill points for legendary weapons.

Seeing as you dont care for the pvp part.

I can say i agree about your view of WvWvW pvp but thats just my oppinion.

• EmerwynEmerwyn Member Posts: 70

Thanks for the replies so far, guess GW2 is just not a full time mmo, but something to keep in the side and play now and then. I'm not heading to Pandaland either, Blizzard destroyed the game with sheer greed, but I hoped GW2 would at least last till Torchlight2 / Neverwinter release.

Legendary items.. yeah I read what you need to craft one. Among other things, 250 Shards of Zhaitan, and you get 4 per boss killed in explorable mode. Sounds like Aion all over in that aspect.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    I would give sPvP a try again .. I didn't think I would enjoy it after WvW ( which I thought was kinda meh ), but I had a really enjoyable few hours 

Thanks for the replies so far, guess GW2 is just not a full time mmo, but something to keep in the side and play now and then. I'm not heading to Pandaland either, Blizzard destroyed the game with sheer greed, but I hoped GW2 would at least last till Torchlight2 / Neverwinter release.

Legendary items.. yeah I read what you need to craft one. Among other things, 250 Shards of Zhaitan, and you get 4 per boss killed in explorable mode. Sounds like Aion all over in that aspect.

Mind explaining what exactly kept you interested in GW1 for months?  Because I'm not seeing what it had that GW2 doesn't in this regard (again, if you like the gameplay).

There are things you can spend a lot of time doing certainly.  If that is fun for you, then GW2 does have that.  It's just not progression-based content, but I don't see how that matters.  There's also a lot of fun silly stuff like the Keg game and various puzzles.  I know I spent about 6 or more hours doing just one of the jumping puzzles.

I guess I'd like some explanation as to why the various options available aren't acceptable to you.  It is rather puzzling considering you apparently have liked WoW (which pretty much necessitates doing the same thing over and over again far more than GW2 does with its many options for repeatable content) and you have liked GW1 which didn't have progression content.

Originally posted by Drachasor

Mind explaining what exactly kept you interested in GW1 for months?  Because I'm not seeing what it had that GW2 doesn't in this regard (again, if you like the gameplay).

There are things you can spend a lot of time doing certainly.  If that is fun for you, then GW2 does have that.  It's just not progression-based content, but I don't see how that matters.  There's also a lot of fun silly stuff like the Keg game and various puzzles.  I know I spent about 6 or more hours doing just one of the jumping puzzles.

I guess I'd like some explanation as to why the various options available aren't acceptable to you.  It is rather puzzling considering you apparently have liked WoW (which pretty much necessitates doing the same thing over and over again far more than GW2 does with its many options for repeatable content) and you have liked GW1 which didn't have progression content.

No, doing the puzzles and getting a Legendary Weapon sound like good time spenders, so I think I'll work on that for now.

About the gameplay, GW1 wasn't anywhere close as soloable as GW2 is. I've basically solo-steamrolled the story mode, bar the very last mission in which you need to complete the dungeon. I guess it's just a bit of nostalgia, but I don't feel accomplished when things come so easy.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

I was hoping it would last as well. At least the game will kill a few overly greedy cash shop games where there's literally no point whatsoever in playing now with the value you get for your money here.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

* Reached level 80

no game is made for people like you. honestly that's abnormal. did u sit and play 24/7? ive been playing like 20 hours a week, which is a lot, and my main is only lvl 28. guess u gotta find another game to devour. 

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

"There's nothing to do!"

"Yes there is!"

"Oh, I don't want to do that."

Also GW1 was entirely soloable with henchmen, there were solo builds made.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

No, doing the puzzles and getting a Legendary Weapon sound like good time spenders, so I think I'll work on that for now.

About the gameplay, GW1 wasn't anywhere close as soloable as GW2 is. I've basically solo-steamrolled the story mode, bar the very last mission in which you need to complete the dungeon. I guess it's just a bit of nostalgia, but I don't feel accomplished when things come so easy.

I thought GW1 was much more soloable. All it took was a couple hirelings and off you went. Sure there were some parts that other people became needed but the main game was pretty easy really.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Good luck finding anything on the horizon that fills the time like WoW once did.
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077
    I don't really believe it was 5 hours a day, not to do all of that. I have played a lot since launch and I'm level 68 and not anywhere close to 100% in *every* zone in the game. Nooo way at all lol
  • AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    He said 5 - 10 hours a day.
    Originally posted by Valentina
    I don't really believe it was 5 hours a day, not to do all of that. I have played a lot since launch and I'm level 68 and not anywhere close to 100% in *every* zone in the game. Nooo way at all lol

I did say 5-10 hours.. maybe closer ot 10 most days, but I work part-time in week days, so I can't really sit at the computer all day even if I wanted.

In any case, that part of the post doesn't matter, it's not the real body of the question.

Originally posted by Eir_S
    Good luck finding anything on the horizon that fills the time like WoW once did.

If you are paying a max of 15 bucks a month, it isn't hard to find a way to fill your time with gaming.  Seriously.  Buy a lot more games, buy indie titles, buy some older games you didn't play.  Get them on Steam or elsewhere when they are on sale ideally.  You can honestly get a ton of good gaming out of 15 bucks.

And there are quite a lot of games that give you a ton of playtime (like Civ IV).  So, not hard, even if you are spending a lot less money.

Just saying.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Eir_S

If you are paying a max of 15 bucks a month, it isn't hard to find a way to fill your time with gaming.  Seriously.  Buy a lot more games, buy indie titles, buy some older games you didn't play.  Get them on Steam or elsewhere when they are on sale ideally.  You can honestly get a ton of good gaming out of 15 bucks.

And there are quite a lot of games that give you a ton of playtime (like Civ IV).  So, not hard, even if you are spending a lot less money.

Just saying.

I have a ton of Steam games, I just can't play anything right now without my pc restarting (buying a new PSU).. but anyway, I was referring to MMOs.  If people are unsatisfied with GW2, those same people will be waiting a long time for something that gives them a lot of replay value.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

I'm still trying to find all the hidden jumping puzzles. There are hidden chests in places without achievements.

While you have completed all the marked content, I question how much unmarked content you haev completed.

I am 80, upto Orr and keen to keep going but I know there are so many things I have missed because I wasn't looking for them. While I finished gendarren fields a week ago only last night I did the jumping puzzle there. 

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?