Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Rohan Landscape Subject of Latest Video Diary

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Turbine and the Lord of the Rings Online team have released a new developer diary to give players a look at the landscape of Rohan, the primary game zone in the upcoming Riders of Rohan expansion. Riders of Rohan is expected to be released on October 15th and will feature a level cap increase along with tons of new content. Check it out!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Still lame that Lotro xpac will only add mounted combat to the new region. It's ridiculous and lazy of Turbine to design it that way. No other mmo has ever restricted their mounted combat to one region or zone no matter how bad it was.
  • BarelyEinsteinBarelyEinstein Member UncommonPosts: 245

Lotro isn't adding half asses mounted combat like all the other mmos, it wouldn't work in the normal landscape.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by Czanrei
    Still lame that Lotro xpac will only add mounted combat to the new region. It's ridiculous and lazy of Turbine to design it that way. No other mmo has ever restricted their mounted combat to one region or zone no matter how bad it was.

WOW, gamers/people love to find  any reason  to complain, make your own game, please so we can cry, whine. complain at everything...

• GeezerGaz82GeezerGaz82 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    I love the amount of detail in it's storyline and it's landscapes and can't wait for this expansion.  Keep up the good work guys :)
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Czanrei

First off it is a huge zone, bigger than any 4 other zones combined.  2nd, your comment about mounted combat is ridiculous and shows you know zip about game design.  Mounted combat is designed to fight mounted npcs, there are no mounted npcs  in any of the other zones.  To add such to the other zones would be huge redesign effort and for what?  3rd, I don't know any game that has mounted combat that does not restrict it to certain zones, there are so few of them.  

Looking forward to trying this expansion out.

• starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230

having it in the rohan area alone is stupid and not accurate to lore lol.  The npcs bieng mounted or not is not the issue. You didnt see them in the movies and books going ok guys there not on horses lets get off ours lol. 

They should have though about that in the first place and there gonna have to redsign it anyways b/c how stupid do you think thats gonna look for people who havent played the game to say oh you can only do mounted combat in this area? Its gonna come off as a cheap and desperate attempt to sell the rohan xpac and thats exactly why thier doing it that way.

This just goes to show you how incompetent turbine has been all along. A dev diary on grass and there hiding the mounted combat still from what ive seen im not terribly impressed.

Mounted combat needs to be everywhere and accurate to the movies/books but hey we have runekeepers and gandalf clones with bears so go figure.

Im glad gw2 will be out for a month and they delayed ror. From what i seen it looks like gw2 made huge dent in lotro even if those people come back for ror there gonna get bored and leave since you cant do mounted combat anywhere but rohan.

ROI was a huge disapointment to when i saw the tower and the whole xpac area i was meh. That isengard tower was a joke. If you look at the castles in gw2 they look like what mirkwood and the isengard tower should have looked like.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by starwarsnut

having it in the rohan area alone is stupid and not accurate to lore lol.  The npcs bieng mounted or not is not the issue. You didnt see them in the movies and books going ok guys there not on horses lets get off ours lol. 

They should have though about that in the first place and there gonna have to redsign it anyways b/c how stupid do you think thats gonna look for people who havent played the game to say oh you can only do mounted combat in this area? Its gonna come off as a cheap and desperate attempt to sell the rohan xpac and thats exactly why thier doing it that way.

This just goes to show you how incompetent turbine has been all along. A dev diary on grass and there hiding the mounted combat still from what ive seen im not terribly impressed.

Mounted combat needs to be everywhere and accurate to the movies/books but hey we have runekeepers and gandalf clones with bears so go figure.

Im glad gw2 will be out for a month and they delayed ror. From what i seen it looks like gw2 made huge dent in lotro even if those people come back for ror there gonna get bored and leave since you cant do mounted combat anywhere but rohan.

ROI was a huge disapointment to when i saw the tower and the whole xpac area i was meh. That isengard tower was a joke. If you look at the castles in gw2 they look like what mirkwood and the isengard tower should have looked like.

Hmm not sure where to start with this stupidity:

1. Lore? Movies do not count as Lotr lore nor even the games ... they are adaptations.

2. You can freely fight on foot or on mount against other mounted or footed foes.

3. Mount tech is often limited to expansion areas if dramatically new. You couldn't fly in Wow on the main continents for years until they redesigned the entire game. Also where are all these other mmo's that have mounted combat everywhere in game? You sound like there are dozens of them. I would hope they move forward with support for all their new systems in future expansions but we'll have to wait and see. The NDA is lifted, the forums are unlocked and tons of video and forum info is available on it. There is little not to be known and nothing the Devs are hiding behind a haze of smoked grass (perhaps you are jealous over the quality the working class can buy).

4. All new major mmo releases impacts other mmo's. Players like to try new things and very few these days only stick to one. I am glad you have your hard on for GW2 as it obviously fills a hole in your soul but other players like options and many Lotro players ONLY play that mmo and no others due to the unique community and the fact it is a Lotr game. Choice is good. You don't need to sound like you hate yourself for liking anything other than your latest and greatest game and being butthurt over past gaming experiences ... I can only imagine why you didn't get along with some communities 0.o

5. I hope you come back and compare mmo tech 10 years from now with games developed in the mid or early 2000's. You will sound so terribly idiotic that even you may recognize it. Older games have to be played for their gameplay because at some point their graphics simply will not impress. I imagine you will do the exact same to GW2 in the future when a new shiny mmo comes out and becomes your new saviour. I agree ROI was a pseudo-xpac but this one is quite large and we will have to wait and see what it adds to the overall game.

In the meantime I'll leave you curled up in your dark corner and let you come to terms with your feelings on why you think past mmo's have touched you in all the wrong places.

You stay sassy!

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Mines of Moria was quite possibly the best expansion I've ever played.

The Lorien updates released after it felt subpar.

The Mirkwood expansion after that was a pale imitation of the first expansion.

The Isengard expansion, to be blunt, sucked.

LotRO was once my favorite MMORPG, but it's gone downhill steeply since Moria. I won't be buying this expansion.

<3

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

LotRO was once my favorite MMORPG, but it's gone downhill steeply since Moria. I won't be buying this expansion.

I think they were very deep into developing Moria when the poop hit the fan financially.  This explains why Lothlorien was delayed, so they could get the expansion out the door, and everything after it was much smaller in scope.

I understand why they've gone F2P and why they deliver a lot elss these days.  I just don't understand why they've been charging full price (or even more when you look at RoR) and treating their customers like crap.  They have a decent F2P model, but maybe that's why they are price gouging their remaining customers. 

I'll never buy another Turbine product ever again.

Thank god I love other IPs almost as much as LOTR.  Some people stick with the game simple because it's middle earth.  I also feel bad for the artists and coders who are stuck with a puny budget and not enough time to deliver polished and well tested expansions.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

Mounted combat really isn't a game changer.  It certainly isn't more desirable than getting Edoras and Helm's Deep.

If the developers knew what they were doing in the beginning, we'd have gotten a small Edoras and Minas Tirith starting area.  They also would have skipped the areas ignored in the book, such as Angmar and Forochel and gave us a smaller Moria along with Lothlorien.  There also would have been a much better two faction system with real PVP.  The first expansion would have given us Isengard and Helms deep.  They totally messed up their design of a LOTR MMO from the start.  But then again it's from teh same team that effectively killed off the future of their own Asheron's Call franchise with the sequel. 

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

I think they were very deep into developing Moria when the poop hit the fan financially.  This explains why Lothlorien was delayed, so they could get the expansion out the door, and everything after it was much smaller in scope.

I understand why they've gone F2P and why they deliver a lot elss these days.  I just don't understand why they've been charging full price (or even more when you look at RoR) and treating their customers like crap.  They have a decent F2P model, but maybe that's why they are price gouging their remaining customers. 

I'll never buy another Turbine product ever again.

Thank god I love other IPs almost as much as LOTR.  Some people stick with the game simple because it's middle earth.  I also feel bad for the artists and coders who are stuck with a puny budget and not enough time to deliver polished and well tested expansions.

They have been bought up by WB and are now forced to meet WB's profit margin expectations.

There is your answer..... hence the reason why I stopped playing LOTRO.

Moria was indeed the best expac and Mirkwood wasn't too bad either, as it added a lot to the game (like the whole skirmish system) and was priced accordingly.

It was with Rise of Isengard expac that I trully felt ripped off with a subpar and lackuster expansion that I pulled the finger to Turbine and said goodbye and moved on.

The Rohan expansion is steeply overpriced and it took litterly a huge riot on the forums for them to add the upcoming instance cluster to the expac and throw in some turbine points.

Yes! You hear that right! They tried to initially sell you a questpack for 60 bucks! Until it hugely backfired straight into their faces! And rightfully so.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Rip off their customers?  Obviously a very ignorant statement.  The Lifetimers have it made, they get 500 turbine points a month, easily enough to buy all the expansions, plus other things like special mounts etc.  For the rest of the players like me, just playing the game generates lots of turbine points for everyone.  Just subbing for a month unlocks a lot of things on your characters that does not go away when you unsub.

I invested $20 a year ago and maybe spent another $20 and I have full access to the current content with about 2500 turbine points saved up.  I am not a dedicated player, as I play other games on my leisure time too.  Sure I could have spent a lot more on fluff in the item shop and I could in the future if I start playing the game more.

So much for posters trying to peg this as an expensive game.  It is not.

• BencikBencik Member Posts: 2

Hi all,

Reading all these posts its makes me kinda a sad as i have to agree that this could be more beautiful game iwth better animations,modelts etc. if they would had a more money, but as i guess WB games has their budget, so... for us that means some cuts as well. F

On the other hand, story, game quests are great and fact that you are having action in middle earth makes this one of the best mmorpg in world for sure. I havent played lot of other mmorpg, so i thought world is not big, but talking with others its looks like LOTRO, has very big landscape and this last Riders of Rohan update will make this world even bigger.

This game is made for playing and having fun with quests, people around(that is very nice and helpful), not for grinding, killing and showing others how greta you are. I know that this is and will be the onliest mmorpg ill play as i dont have much time, but i enjoy everytime i play it.

If we talk about paying im happy you have to pay, somehow it make a nice people that plays this game and not lots of trolls and smart ass. There is other part of coin as well, but the money Turbine asks is very small, if you dont have this money, then maybe its time to get out and start to amke some money.

Thank you.

Theowien