Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All remaining mmos should go B2P now that GW2 is released

1235»

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Misaris
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by Misaris

Does not compute.

So you mean every other game needs to rip people of by selling necessary items in a cash shop and "pretend" Buy to Play?

LOL, sorry but good games still deserve my sub money because I´m getting new content and updates for my monthly sub.

(At least in EvE and TSW)

Btw, I have a sub for EvE and I got the liftetime sub for TSW; this is REAL Buy to Play because there is nothing in the cash shop anyone really "needs".

I haven't felt the need to buy anything.  The GW2 cash shop model is a good one. 

Uh-huh. Then if no one is buying stuff of their cash shop, I wonder how they will finance update work without laying off 2/3 of their staff within the next month.

NCsoft sold less GW2 copies than Bioware sold SWTOR copies, and since there is ZERO subscription money flowing in @NCsoft, it´s like if Bioware had lost all their subscribers after the 1st free month which was included with SWTOR.

I´m really wondering how that is going to work. At some point they will try to get more money, most likely with a paid expansion for another 50 bucks in 3-4 months.

In previous guild wars expansions they were pretty regular with a short time in between. I have seen anet interviews saying they will have expansions spaced further apart because people felt they didn't have enough time to see the older content. 

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by jpnole

Sub, F2P... it doesn't matter. With GW2 upon us, they will not be able to compete. To sub another mmo besides GW2 would imply   that the other mmo offers more or is somehow superior. This isn't the case. WoW may have more content, and Rift has added quite a bit, but in the end, why pay for another sub if the experience doesn't equal that of GW2?

As for prior AAAs gone F2P, they could all take a lesson from GW2's cash shop, but even that won't be enough. LOTRO, DDO, Etc, Etc,  they are all way too restrictive. GW2 gives you everything with the cash shop completely unnecessary. Meanwhile, new F2Ps simply don't have the budget to keep up since they lack the box fee.

Basically, all MMOs should seriously consider dropping their current pricing models and figure out a fair B2P "box price" with a GW2 quality cash shop to compliment it.

First two casualties of GW2:

City of Heroes     http://www.examiner.com/article/ncsoft-is-shutting-down-city-of-heroes

Black Prophecy    http://lorehound.com/news/black-prophecy-shutting-down-on-sept-26th/

I will update as the list grows.

It would be easier to just get a job or a better paying one. But then, you would have to be a productive member to society. I know, icky.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by stayontarget
    90% of all mmo's are f2p,  so why do you care so much about what the other 10% do. 

Because he would rather play a better game that he can't afford.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Sheesh, the OP makes no sense at all. I like GW2. That doesn't change that it's basically like a F2P game, you know, with a casho hop, PLUS a buy price. So in matters of money, it's worse than a F2P game.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I don't care about 98% of mmorpg's.  They can go whatever model they want.

I just want 1-2  mmorpg's I like (i.e.  upcoming  ArcheAge or Black Desert Online) to have at least option of no CS, no rmah, no gold selling  pure sub servers.

• AbangyarudoAbangyarudo Member Posts: 156

All that will happen will developers will come to the conclusion many have already. MMORPGS are not profitable nd too costly to produce. This will be a sad day as I like mmorpgs especially the more niche variety but there wil be no place for that. Lets be honest about GW2 it can't stand as a subscription title. It is too shallow by itself and many of the "innovations" were just foundation from other games. What is sad is that developers have been show time and again people want the same ole wow, add flavor of the month title crap. Peop[le want perfect games that don't dwell into learning anything new gameplay wise without having to pay the massive development cost. That is what led to so many casualities this last year or two people became unreasonable with the genre. 

CoH had its faults and its mechanics were dated but it was a gameplay rich game that people didn't really understand the depth to. A game like this is not apperciated in the new generation so NCsoft had to make a decision the change in priority was the real cause of death for CoH. CoH over its life cycle had more money put into it then the technically shallow GW2, GW2 will pull in alot of money for very little cost comparably to more full featured games. The real casualty will be the MMORPG industry because people don't care about features they just care about mindless gameplay and with the cost of MMORPGS companies will not be able to afford anything less then a popular release. 

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by daltanious
    Originally posted by jpnole

Sub, F2P... it doesn't matter. With GW2 upon us, they will not be able to compete. To sub another mmo besides GW2 would imply   that the other mmo offers more or is somehow superior. This isn't the case. WoW may have more content, and Rift has added quite a bit, but in the end, why pay for another sub if the experience doesn't equal that of GW2?

Of course does not equal ... actually it surpasses a looooot. For this reason Gw2 as was Gw will become my filler at some time, in meantime will more then gladly pay sub for Swtor, Rift, Wow, ... and other great games. Gw2 as Gw could never ever existed as sub based game. Being p2p is the only reason. Because a lot people think cheap=good. It is not. Not in gaming industry not in real world.

Wow, taking back my words. :-) Cold not resist, at the end purchased GW2 aprox 1 week before release of MOP (despite concurrent sub at that time to wow and co). What a positive surprise! From old only brings name.

Had a blast in this week before MOP. And for the first time I'm actually sorry dates overlap so close. Playing of course MOP now, but I'm already happy now for time when I will be back to GW2.

About sub .... to me GW2 is so good, that would deserve sub. And i will be willing to pay.

Not only love fast paced combat, there are many many great candies at any point of game.

Game is incredible, but to consistently maintain in good shape servers, to have enough support staff, to constantly upgrade and work on game, ... requires money. B2P covers expenses and give some money at start. Later there must be some form of constant income as players will not be buying new copies at eternum. There are many combinations, but i always preffered paying sub with all inclusive.

Ok, have only up to lv. 14 all 8 alts .. but so far very impressed. With Aion was also enjoying to some degree at release. But only up to lv. 20, then free fall. Never ever will get me back no matter what they do. So much I was disappointed. But if I try to remember at that time ... fun factor was not even remotely comparable to GW2. And besides all I see GW2 is taking seriously security and spamming. I report every ingame spam mail, every gold spammer on chat (this has been always my hobby in many games :)) .... but there is no escalation. In Aion after few weeks for test I have zoomed chat pannel to entire screen ... was covered enterely with spam messages in less then 10 secs. Were more bots mining or doing other stuff then real players. etc etc. Not to mention as I remember had to replace my credit card as I was unable to interrupt payments.

So, big YES for Gw2.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    lol GW2 has been out a month and you wanna blame COH and some other game I never heard of closing on it? I love GW2 but come on, you gonna say every game that closes from now on is because of GW2?

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

If an MMO yust keeps getting quality content.. why not ask subscription. GW2 has a whole different feel and style then most MMOs... thus if people dont like that style they yust go to a different MMO even if it has sub, simple as that.

and gw2 does kinda have subs, in the form of alot more paid expansions that will come (much more then for example WoW releases)

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED