Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All remaining mmos should go B2P now that GW2 is released

Comments

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

"GW2 is B2P so everything else should be"

- Makes me wonder if the OP is one of those kids who has been crying about how every game that comes out should have dungeon finder, auction house, easymode questing, fantasy tab target etc. "Because WoW had XXX so everything should dontchaknow"

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

We simply do not know what the overall cost to develop GW2 was and what the overhead on each box sale goes back to paying off this. ANET and NCSoft both have a target profitability that GW2 is expected to meet. And it's NOT based on baxed sales alone. It includes the Cash Shop. And most certainly, GW2 is required to pull in much more profit than GW1. We are on a whole new level here.

ANET has done a very good job at keeping their word and not putting questionable items in the shop. I thought for sure the CS would reveal items that would have made the playerbase go WTF!!!!! But it hasn't. Kudos for sticking to your word ANET. Frankly, however, the Cash Shop Sucks. What's in there that people want? Cosmetic and frilly stuff are typically one time or at least infrequent purchases. Cash Shops make their money in consumables. And GW2's CS is borderline pointless. So what are you going to buy? Armor Skins? Yeah Right! 500Gems to change the look of a set of armor that you will wear for a day or 2 and throw away? Really ANET? Disposable Armor Skins for 500 Gems? XP Buffs? In a game where your actual level has much less significance? Maybe Karma Boosts, but still hardly worth real money. Look at the chests. 6 Copper last one I sold. Hardly a desireable item.

So what's the problem? If no one is using it, it's not going to meet it's target profit margin. Then what? Something will have to change. I don't see NCSoft going "Well, OK ANET, it's not a problem, you did well with boxed sales but the cash shop is a flop. Kepp up the good work!" I dout it, They will expect to see a percentage of ongoing sales and I just can't see that happeing with this Cash SHop's current offerings. Something's gonna have to change at some point.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    while i agree with the idea have you ever heard that saying..you get what you pay for..a lot of companies will piggie back off gw2 success like companies did with wow to make a quick buck making inferior games.its bound to happen..even if it cost a developer 10 million to make a game..they are bound to sucker in idiots to double there money then after a wwhile close the game down and move onto their next rip off.not saying all companies are like that but you just have to look how many companies sprouted up after WOW to make a killing.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

@OP

What why in hell should they,, GW2  is one of the most boring games i have played in a long time PVE wise and the qs are jsut stupid to get into its PVP.. GW2 had to be b2p as people would not have paid a sub for it..

If a game is good enough then its worth a sub any day of the week.. I will be subbing to PS2 when that comes out.. yes its f2p but there is a sub option and the game is awesome so ill sub..

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    This is probly a very good game but i wont buy a none sub based game unless i want a single player game. Pity i would of liked to try it but i dont like the idea of game company banning me for something stupid and me then haveing to go buy another copy of the game. At least if it was sub based they wouldnt do that and you wouldnt have to worry about finding 60 bucks in a few months just to get that latest add on
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by jpnole

Sub, F2P... it doesn't matter. With GW2 upon us, they will not be able to compete. To sub another mmo besides GW2 would imply   that the other mmo offers more or is somehow superior. This isn't the case. WoW may have more content, and Rift has added quite a bit, but in the end, why pay for another sub if the experience doesn't equal that of GW2?

As for prior AAAs gone F2P, they could all take a lesson from GW2's cash shop, but even that won't be enough. LOTRO, DDO, Etc, Etc,  they are all way too restrictive. GW2 gives you everything with the cash shop completely unnecessary. Meanwhile, new F2Ps simply don't have the budget to keep up since they lack the box fee.

Basically, all MMOs should seriously consider dropping their current pricing models and figure out a fair B2P "box price" with a GW2 quality cash shop to compliment it.

First two casualties of GW2:

City of Heroes     http://www.examiner.com/article/ncsoft-is-shutting-down-city-of-heroes

Black Prophecy    http://lorehound.com/news/black-prophecy-shutting-down-on-sept-26th/

I will update as the list grows.

CoH and BP closing had nothing to do with GW2.  Correlation does not imply causation.

Eve is still going strong after 9 years as a P2P game.  My guess is it will still be doing well when GW2 goes the way of the dodo.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by f0dell54

Sub, F2P... it doesn't matter. With GW2 upon us, they will not be able to compete. To sub another mmo besides GW2 would imply   that the other mmo offers more or is somehow superior. This isn't the case. WoW may have more content, and Rift has added quite a bit, but in the end, why pay for another sub if the experience doesn't equal that of GW2?

As for prior AAAs gone F2P, they could all take a lesson from GW2's cash shop, but even that won't be enough. LOTRO, DDO, Etc, Etc,  they are all way too restrictive. GW2 gives you everything with the cash shop completely unnecessary. Meanwhile, new F2Ps simply don't have the budget to keep up since they lack the box fee.

Basically, all MMOs should seriously consider dropping their current pricing models and figure out a fair B2P "box price" with a GW2 quality cash shop to compliment it.

City of Heroes     http://www.examiner.com/article/ncsoft-is-shutting-down-city-of-heroes

Black Prophecy    http://lorehound.com/news/black-prophecy-shutting-down-on-sept-26th/

Your post history says it all, here you go Mr. Prediction http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4641221#4641221 I guess you ate your words on that one. You're nothing but a next-big-thinger. Then you come on here spewing this crap. Bitch please. I can't wait to read your posts when ArcheAge, WildStar, and EqNext launch.

ROFLMAO

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

I lol'ed about his SWTOR comment, but he did unintentionally touched on a good point.

GW2 in a way was responsible for CoH's shutdown. It was because of GW2's development cost that NCSoft's earning dipped into the red the last quarter, and CoH had to bit the bullet to make their books look good. Even though it was still profitable and was actually earning more than Guild Wars 1.

The saddest part is that CoH was more revolutionary and genre-defining that GW2 can ever hope to be. So, congrats ANET for killing a true champion of the MMO genre and replacing it with generic fantasy MMO #3458403.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

No... 

B2P just means Cash Shop with initial cost. It works with GW2 since it goes for a more simple approach and was designed around the cash shop making their money. 

That being said, I can see games being released B2P that were going for a F2P model and want something for more 'quick' cash for players to fund the production costs, but its not going to be an ideal method for a lot of games. F2P with a pay option I still feel is the best option. 

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

So you're saying all current F2P games should add a box price then?

Everyone who is shouting to the heavens how great B2P is hasn't thought about it for more than 1 minute. You buy the box.... and then there is STILL a cash shop. That is a F2P model with an entry fee. You are actually asking for all F2P games to become more expensive because they let you in for free and you want them to charge you to get in and then still have the store.

I don't see how that makes sense at all. But I can only imagine that with that statement and saying that the closing of those two games was due to GW2 that this is just a troll post anyway.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by f0dell54

Your post history says it all, here you go Mr. Prediction http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4641221#4641221 I guess you ate your words on that one. You're nothing but a next-big-thinger. Then you come on here spewing this crap. Bitch please. I can't wait to read your posts when ArcheAge, WildStar, and EqNext launch.

Wow...lol. That explains everything.

Bite Me

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHHAHA

Sorry, couldn't contain myself from this GW2 fanboism. DAOC is STILL sub-based after YEARS of F2P, B2P, and WoW. Yet, they've still YET to be shutdown because they still generate a steady profit from the 100k who still play.

You have ZERO idea what you're talking about as a "quality MMO" that uses subscriptions is still the best profit. Look at WoW, if they went B2P or F2P they'd lose MILLIONS each month in profit.

B2P is for games that are meant as one-offs with limited support or use a cash-shop to facilitate revenue while they work slowly on expansions.

PayAsYouGo (aka: "F2P") is for companies wanting to rip you off by lieing to you saying it's "Free". This model earns you several TIMES less than P2P if your MMO isn't a piece of crap.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

If you actually like the game then $15 is not an issue. I paid for loads of accounts in SWG for years, and it did not bother me at all.

The only thing that should put in cash shops is unlocking playable content and stuff that is restricted from not paying a monthly sub, not items like mounts, vehicles, buffs, clothing, costumes etc. All items like that should be attainable in game through questing, crafting or buying with in game currency

As they can not seem to do that, then they should abolish F2P / B2P and all cash shops, as cash shops are becoming a cancer to MMOs.

Plus also then offer Lifetime subscriptions. LOTRO LT sub was well worth it.

The cash shop in LOTRO has ruined the game. eg I play other games, then sudddenly spot that there is only a day left to get a mount from the store, so instead of levelling a character up to 20 and get the Riding Skill, I get the riding skill from day 1, and the mount, and no gameplay involved = game ruined. It would be better to be able to level to 20, get the riding skill, and then do a quest to get that mount.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by Psychow

$20 says the OP's wet dream is to post the following update:

World of Warcraft    http://www.nytimes/article/WorldOfWarcraftToCloseDueToGW2

Oh man! I can only dream!

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

So you're saying all current F2P games should add a box price then?

Everyone who is shouting to the heavens how great B2P is hasn't thought about it for more than 1 minute. You buy the box.... and then there is STILL a cash shop. That is a F2P model with an entry fee. You are actually asking for all F2P games to become more expensive because they let you in for free and you want them to charge you to get in and then still have the store.

I don't see how that makes sense at all. But I can only imagine that with that statement and saying that the closing of those two games was due to GW2 that this is just a troll post anyway.

Yeah but you don't need to touch the cash shop at all in GW2. All other games with cash shops are so restrictive they practically steer you there.

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHHAHA

Sorry, couldn't contain myself from this GW2 fanboism. DAOC is STILL sub-based after YEARS of F2P, B2P, and WoW. Yet, they've still YET to be shutdown because they still generate a steady profit from the 100k who still play.

Yes but it's days are numbered now. Especially due to GW2's PVP.

You have ZERO idea what you're talking about as a "quality MMO" that uses subscriptions is still the best profit. Look at WoW, if they went B2P or F2P they'd lose MILLIONS each month in profit.

OK I will go along with this as WoW has millions of subs so addicted to their characters that they would probably play them even if WoW scaled back to 8 bit graphics. I still think GW2 will cut a couple million WoW subs.

B2P is for games that are meant as one-offs with limited support or use a cash-shop to facilitate revenue while they work slowly on expansions.

GW2 is anything but a one off. It's a revolution in mmo creation and will generate millions of box sales by the time it's lifecycle ends.

PayAsYouGo (aka: "F2P") is for companies wanting to rip you off by lieing to you saying it's "Free". This model earns you several TIMES less than P2P if your MMO isn't a piece of crap.

Agreed!

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

Talk to us when it brings in more money and players then WoW, tell then most will not listen (this includes me) and subs will rule

image image

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    Originally posted by Aconsar
    Originally posted by vort3x

I've said it a couple of times before. Any game with a sub is a complete ripoff. Does anyone honestly belive that a game with a couple of millions of subscribers needs 15€ per month from each of those subscribers just to cover their expanses?! Riiight... With all the money they get from those subs they could probably change all the servers for new servers every month!!

Besides, noone will ever make a game that I can consider good enough to pay 300€ per year just to play. Geez such bollocks. Now imagine I play 5 years... I'd spend about 1500€ only on gaming fee... pfff

Name another hobby you could do for an entire year, as much as you want, for that same price?

I can't think of anything outside of sitting outside on my porch and watching the sky because of travel costs otherwise.  If GW2 never has an expansion or any content that releases (expansions/etc) that aren't free, then I would agree.  But you know exactly well they will have expansions, just like GW1, that will be $30, $40, or $50 each.

I get your point but I can think a few off the top of my head.  Reading books - buy a few a month, library the rest.  Netflix Streaming (~ $8/month).  image

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330
    The one flaw of B2P is what happens when everyone has bought it and they make virtually no more on box sales...They then have to rely on the cash shop meaning prices may go up and they may add restrictions as to get more sales. i honestly dont mind a subscription its only $15....people complaining should complain to the electric or water companies ffs...$15 is NOTHING compared to bills...
  • karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    GW2 isnt B2P its FTP.
  • Spicy_NoodleSpicy_Noodle Member Posts: 8

Probably the one of the most 'fanboish' threads going over-the-top with his rediculous future predictions. GW2 is a good game, don't get me wrong, but it is no where near revolutionary when it comes to an MMO. It has it's pros and cons, but more than half of the actual content has already been seen before. Don't go off having this preset mind presuming, 'GW2 FREE! OMFG! ITS FREE, BETTER THAN ANY SUB GAME!' because it truely is not. I guarantee more than half the actual players would pay a subscription fee on GW2 if it ever came to that point -- not because it HAS a subscription, but its not worth the money for a subscription. 

People bitch and complain about sub fees saying its 'rediculous' and over-priced, when in fact, a lot of the times its actually cheaper. I rather pay monthly for a game than an actual game that'll most likely have 5+ expansions within the next 2 years. I especially hate it when people can't even afford $15 a month when i know for fact they spend more than that on other games, then they moan about an MMO with a subscription fee. GW2 is deluded with a bunch of fan boys who all their initial arguements end with 'it has no sub fee'.

Look at WoW -- after 6 years of the actual release, it has come out with a total of 4 expansions. In total, it costs $30 to buy all the games with it's discounts oppose to GW1 where you'd end up paying set prices of the beginning (excluding their discounts no). In the end, subscription games would have their box prices illuminated with more discounts than a F2P games such as this. Towards the end, it either costs almost on par to a little bit more that isn't even worth bitching about. If you can't afford $15 a month for a game, you shouldn't even be on the internet.

GW2 isn't revolutionizing anything. Compare to GW1 and any other competitive MMO that came out around the same era, it always had the same idea of F2P. If it was so amazing, it would of already changed the industry; and it hasn't.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by Odinthedark1
    The one flaw of B2P is what happens when everyone has bought it and they make virtually no more on box sales...They then have to rely on the cash shop meaning prices may go up and they may add restrictions as to get more sales. i honestly dont mind a subscription its only $15....people complaining should complain to the electric or water companies ffs...$15 is NOTHING compared to bills...

Thats when they start pumping out expansion packs for $40 a pop.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

CoH was ok but the NCsoft is hell greedy and wants profits, profits, i hope the community of DoH will win at her race to keep it alive ...

• ChtugaChtuga Member UncommonPosts: 116

So far according to you, GW2 has "killed" a couple other F2P games...  

I think the business model is still unclear and if the developer dont make enough money the cash shop will become more and more agressive.

And I think we need to give GW2 a couple more months to see if its still is as popular.... Looking at X-fire the game seem to drop players like a rock last couple of days... 

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Of course does not equal ... actually it surpasses a looooot. For this reason Gw2 as was Gw will become my filler at some time, in meantime will more then gladly pay sub for Swtor, Rift, Wow, ... and other great games. Gw2 as Gw could never ever existed as sub based game. Being p2p is the only reason. Because a lot people think cheap=good. It is not. Not in gaming industry not in real world.