Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't even get past level 9....

1234568»

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by dzoni87

Whats with all these people leveling to like... level 9 and judging an MMORPG according to it?

Did MMORPGers changed this much?

Where have you been? That's more or less what professional MMORPG reviews do most of the time, unfortunely.

seems like they are moving away from that on many sites though as many are now doing the multi part over the course of weeks reviews as I feel MMOs should be done... although still many do the basic play the game for a day and review it...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper
    Originally posted by dreamer05

<

The pvp battlegrounds can be pretty fun but with no real reward I don't see any motivation to keep going and going. >   SNIP

I have never, ever understood this viewpoint.

The motivation and reason to keep going when involved in pure instanced/battleground pvp is surely just because the actual pvp is fun. Besides isn't working as part of a team and winning the match the "reward"?

Some would even go as far as saying that "winning" is not even as important as improving your gameplay. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eipmtgcGILE&feature=g-user-u

looking badass to me is certainly something to strive for... offers motivation and reward

Which reminds me that I seriously don't care whatsoever about the looks of what I wear in a MMORPG, which is ironic because I an extremely vain in real life when it comes to clothes. 

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by dzoni87

Whats with all these people leveling to like... level 9 and judging an MMORPG according to it?

Did MMORPGers changed this much?

Where have you been? That's more or less what professional MMORPG reviews do most of the time, unfortunely.

seems like they are moving away from that on many sites though as many are now doing the multi part over the course of weeks reviews as I feel MMOs should be done... although still many do the basic play the game for a day and review it...

I stopped reading MMORPG reviews ever since SWTOR got its Game of the Year award from Massively, so I appriciate the positive heads-up about changes in the review world.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

<

The pvp battlegrounds can be pretty fun but with no real reward I don't see any motivation to keep going and going. >   SNIP

The motivation and reason to keep going when involved in pure instanced/battleground pvp is surely just because the actual pvp is fun. Besides isn't working as part of a team and winning the match the "reward"?

Some would even go as far as saying that "winning" is not even as important as improving your gameplay. 

looking badass to me is certainly something to strive for... offers motivation and reward

Cool

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

<

Which reminds me that I seriously don't care whatsoever about the looks of what I wear in a MMORPG, which is ironic because I an extremely vain in real life when it comes to clothes. 

lol and i'm complete opposite Iove badass looking gear in games(one of the reasons I enjoy RPGs) but IRL don't really care much about fancy nice looking clothes at all.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Originally posted by austriacus
    Originally posted by Kuro1n
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Emerwyn
    Originally posted by Eir_S

I don't hate the game or think that it's terrible (aside from a few features that should be expected in a AAA mmo)

This is the part that always interests me.  I'd love to hear more.

How about...

1. Player to player direct barter/trade system - no comment, it's just unbelievable that GW2 doesn't have this basic feature.

2. Open world PvP - despite the "dynamic" events the world feels so "safe" and predictable that much of the excitement of adventuring is just gone and dead. ("dynamic" = grindy repetitive public quests that you learn to time and grind after 20 minutes in an area.)

3. Duels - see point 1. Just unbelievable.

Those just popped in my head in a frame of a second, and are just so basic and fundamental that makes the game feel unfinished, or kind of Beta. Could think a dozen more missing geatures if I was bored enough.

I didn't ask you, but ok.. I can see how some people would miss those features.  I just want to reiterate a point I've tried making here several times - ie: why, if an MMO does not have these "standard" features, is it less complete?  Are you really saying every game should have every feature that you feel is standard?  I think that would get boring.  Oh wait, it did, and it even has a name.  It's called 2006-2012.

Also, I doubt you could name a dozen more features the game is missing.

As for the rest of you, be nice to the OP.  I had to get to level 15 with my warrior before I really felt like it fit, and frankly the starter zones are waaaay more boring than the second and third leveling areas.

Not to be rude but that feels very passive agressive. :s

Anyway I agree with the post, duels aren't that important to me but open world pvp on a few servers would be very nice for those of us that really like this feature, I tried proposing this on so many forums and every time people starts flaming me because I should go back to wow or something (which I never played or liked even).

Also just as you say here the game becomes a bit more fun 15-20 I gotta agree, yet at level ~40 I'm stuck without motivation again. Only reason for PVE for me is in order to PVP and going WVW on my server is harsh as it's currently very imbalanced. :(

Guess I just gotta grind it out (?) x__x

Maybe you can try to see the dragons as motivators. The shatterer is at 50, the sunless is at 65 and jormag is at 80.

That should help.

Well I guess that could be interesting. :p

Just gotta get there, starting to get tired of my class yet not really tempted to roll an alt. Oh well, level 50? Lets start with that. No sleep tonight.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by MosesZD
    Originally posted by Emerwyn

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people will find having duels a basic mmo feature, especially in a AAA game that is heavily focused into PvP.

If you think otherwise then that's good for you, I guess. Probably in time you'll change your mind, when another game attracts your inconditional praise and love. I like seeing things from outside the box while others are too busy having their honeymoon with a videogame.

The whole game feels like a dumbed down mmo to me. Fun in its own right, and worth the cash (I've already spent around 100 hours, so that's that). But far from the promised Eden it was sold as.

Not really.   Sadly though it seems that most self-identified PvPers think it's all about them.   It's not.   Most people never duel or PvP.   Most of those who do barely dabble in it.  And only a small minority  do it 'hardcore' despite all the bravado and claims.

Regardless of how many people do it, it's still a pretty basic feature.  Maybe not select an enemy (with your tab or mouse or whatever) and hit a button to do an attack level feature, but a feature that has been in MMO's from the beginning (EQ and UO) and is in the king of MMO's (WoW).

If any feature is in those three games... it's a basic feature.  Open world PVP also was in those games.