Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New video card is freezing games

LawlieLawlie Member Posts: 49

Hi everyone, i recently purchased the AMD Radeon HD 7770 GHz edition, i have it installed (hopefully correctly) the video card came with a cable that i attached to the video card then to a random black pin, there was 6 of them so i just tried one of them...

Everything started up properly, i then installed the drivers from the CD which took me to a website to get the drivers from.

So i boot up a game, i get passed the login screen and character selection, but when i get in to the actual game it freezes maybe 10seconds into it, the screen freezes and locks my whole computer up forcing me to to restart it.

Anyone know what the problem could be? maybe bad drivers? bad video card? im pretty sure the drivers were up to date, and its funny because ive had this problem before years and years ago with my voodoo card, i ended up just taking it into a computer store.

Computer specs are

Windows 7 64bit

intel core i7 2.7ghz

6gig ram

800watt ps

Thanks, i really hope someone can help!

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Which game? I've had specific games do the same thing with my 5770 card and the fix was to install an older driver.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    I can tell you the new Radeon drivers with the 7900 series are having lock up issues with directx 11.  Beta drivers are solving some of it, but not all. 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by Lawlie

Hi everyone, i recently purchased the AMD Radeon HD 7770 GHz edition, i have it installed (hopefully correctly) the video card came with a cable that i attached to the video card then to a random black pin, there was 6 of them so i just tried one of them...

What does that mean?  You do need to plug in a 6-pin PCI-E connector from the power supply to the video card, but that's attached to the power supply and doesn't come with the video card.  If you used a molex to 6-pin adapter that game with the video card, then don't.  That's only a way for people to use a video card with a power supply that doesn't have enough PCI-E power connectors.

What power supply do you have, anyway?  The nominal wattage doesn't mean very much.  List the brand name and model.

Also, which video drivers are you using?

• LawlieLawlie Member Posts: 49

The game i tried was Aion and GW2

Im installing the beta driver now, if this doesnt work ill try some older drivers.

Thanks for the replys

Sorry this is really confusing for me, i cant tell which one is the power supply connector cause theres tons of them all wrapped together making it a mess...  i guess ill have to undo it all?

The game i tried was Aion and GW2

Im installing the beta driver now, if this doesnt work ill try some older drivers.

Thanks for the replys

You should look at what Quizzical is asking. If nothing else, you may learn something about how your computer is put together, which is never a bad thing.

** edit **
    Doh! You already did!

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

Everything started up properly, i then installed the drivers from the CD which took me to a website to get the drivers from.

So i boot up a game, i get passed the login screen and character selection, but when i get in to the actual game it freezes maybe 10seconds into it, the screen freezes and locks my whole computer up forcing me to to restart it.

Anyone know what the problem could be? maybe bad drivers? bad video card? im pretty sure the drivers were up to date, and its funny because ive had this problem before years and years ago with my voodoo card, i ended up just taking it into a computer store.

Computer specs are

Windows 7 64bit

intel core i7 2.7ghz

6gig ram

800watt ps

Thanks, i really hope someone can help!

The part in green could be where the problem lies.  It sounds like you used the adaptor that comes with most video cards for connecting a molex connector (from the power supply) to a 6-pin connector on the video card.

Normally this should work, but it might imply that your power supply isn't built to support the wattage that the video card needs to operate.  If the power supply was built to support that wattage, then it would probably have the correct 6-pin connector, and you wouldn't need to use the molex adaptor.

Is this a custom built computer?  Or is it a pre-built system, like a Dell or HP?  Do you know anything about the power supply?  Wattage or anything?

It sounds like a power issue.  Your power supply either can't support the amount of wattage the video card needs, or you didn't properly connect the video card to the power supply.

Sorry this is really confusing for me, i cant tell which one is the power supply connector cause theres tons of them all wrapped together making it a mess...  i guess ill have to undo it all?

If the connector with 6 holes goes back to the power supply, you've plugged your video card into the right set of wires. If the plug with 6 holes goes back to a plug adapter with 4 holes, and then back to the power supply, you've plugged it into the wrong wire. Remove the adapter (6 hole to 4 hole). Then find the 6 hole adapter that goes all the way back to the power supply.

If you didn't use any of the wires from the video card box, you've probably used the right set of wires.

The top side of the power supply should give you a brand name and power supply model name.

** edit **
    If your power supply doesn't have a 6 hole adapter, then you might need a new power supply.

Yea its custom built, its one of those ibuypower ones i had them put together for me on their website.

the power supply says its XION 800 watt power supply, then it says 800watt again on a white label with some other stuff

going to open it up now and see if i have cables connected properly

This is probably your power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817190023

It's a piece of junk, but shouldn't be bad enough to prevent a Radeon HD 7770 from working.  Do make sure that you have a hard-wired cable from the power supply plugging directly into the video card, rather than going through some other adapter.  That should help with load balancing, as the power supply has four very weak +12 V rails, and a PCI-E power connector is probably on a different rail from a molex connector.  The rail distribution is probably chosen under the assumption that not much power will be pulled through a molex connector, so that's not what you want to power a video card.

Originally posted by Quizzical

This is probably your power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817190023

It's a piece of junk, but shouldn't be bad enough to prevent a Radeon HD 7770 from working.  Do make sure that you have a hard-wired cable from the power supply plugging directly into the video card, rather than going through some other adapter.  That should help with load balancing, as the power supply has four very weak +12 V rails, and a PCI-E power connector is probably on a different rail from a molex connector.  The rail distribution is probably chosen under the assumption that not much power will be pulled through a molex connector, so that's not what you want to power a video card.

Figures, last time i let a company build me a computer..

Okay so i opened it up and seperated all the cables and it wasnt connected into the power supply, no idea what it was connected to but its connected now and hopefully this will solve my problem as to  why the games are freezing.

Sigh

Now its freezing at the login screen and kicking me back to the desktop saying

"Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered"

I downloaded the new beta drivers for it as well..

What drivers are you using?  I asked earlier, and you never answered.
    What drivers are you using?  I asked earlier, and you never answered.

Sorry, im downloading the first one from here

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx#1

ive also tried the beta one

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Same issue it's not the driver. I have the exact same video card. It still does the display driver not respoding crap sometimes when watching youtube videos but at least I can play my games.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946

Follow that link and go down to the little mechanic icon guy with the "Microsoft fix it" Fix this problem. Save and run. Restart system, run game.

I spent 2 hours hooking up this new video card and was very frustrated. Hope this helps.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Make sure that any other video drivers you had are uninstalled.  What video card are you upgrading from?

Also, you want Catalyst 12.8, not the 12.7 beta drivers.  12.8 is probably just the finalized version of the 12.7 beta.

The reason I asked what drivers you were using is that sometimes people will insist that they have the latest drivers, even though they have drivers that are three years old or some such.  You've found AMD's web site, so presumably you've found the right drivers.

Make sure that any other video drivers you had are uninstalled.  What video card are you upgrading from?

Also, you want Catalyst 12.8, not the 12.7 beta drivers.  12.8 is probably just the finalized version of the 12.7 beta.

The reason I asked what drivers you were using is that sometimes people will insist that they have the latest drivers, even though they have drivers that are three years old or some such.  You've found AMD's web site, so presumably you've found the right drivers.

I'm upgrading from a Geforce 9800gt

I also noticed when i was attaching the cable from the video card to the power supply there were 3 cables coming from the powersupply, once again i didnt know which one to plug it into....hope it doesnt matter

Originally posted by nilden

Same issue it's not the driver. I have the exact same video card. It still does the display driver not respoding crap sometimes when watching youtube videos but at least I can play my games.

Follow that link and go down to the little mechanic icon guy with the "Microsoft fix it" Fix this problem. Save and run. Restart system, run game.

I spent 2 hours hooking up this new video card and was very frustrated. Hope this helps.

Okay i downloaded what you did but im still getting the freezing, its weird cause once i log into the game and dont do anything its fine, its when i try to move, thats when the screen just locks up and if im lucky kicks me to desktop.

This is so annoying, i dont know what else to do besides take it back to bestbuy and let them deal with it

You've uninstalled the old video drivers, haven't you?  When switching from Nvidia to AMD or vice versa, you need to make sure that the old drivers are gone.  It's sometimes recommended that you run Driver Sweeper after uninstalling them to make sure that the old drivers are completely gone.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by nilden

Okay i downloaded what you did but im still getting the freezing, its weird cause once i log into the game and dont do anything its fine, its when i try to move, thats when the screen just locks up and if im lucky kicks me to desktop.

This is so annoying, i dont know what else to do besides take it back to bestbuy and let them deal with it

After reading everything it looks like you have done all you can on your part then. You have the correct driver 12.8 catalyst for your operating system, you applied the microsoft fix for GPU processing time. I'm sure you don't have anything crazy running in the background and restarted your system etc.

Like I said even after running that fix I still get the display driver has stopped responding. It's very frustrating buying a new video card only to have it not work and be a known issue with the card.

The only other thing I can sugest is MSI Afterburner to get a more detailed look at your core clock etc. You can adjust it manually from MSI afterburner. (It's what the microsoft fix tries to do, you want it to be around 1000) The problem being a GPU processing time.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/gui.htm

Good luck and I feel your pain.

Just a quick edit to make sure your power setting are set to never sleep or idle as well.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

You've uninstalled the old video drivers, haven't you?  When switching from Nvidia to AMD or vice versa, you need to make sure that the old drivers are gone.  It's sometimes recommended that you run Driver Sweeper after uninstalling them to make sure that the old drivers are completely gone.

I deleted the old nvidia driver by going into control panel / devices / hardware then uninstalling it before installing the new one

So i downloaded driver sweeper and its detected 3 nvidia items,

Nvidia - chipset

Nvidia- Display

Nvidia- PhysX

Should i remove those? says some of them are in windowssystem32
    vcod1510.dll  theres a bunch of them...

just trying to be extra careful, dont want to delete system32 or something, because ive done that before.. lol

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Here is what I would do.

Make a good set of backups - you should be doing this anyway.

Format your hard drive. If you can afford it, just get a new drive, and keep your old drive as "installed backup" without needing to format.

Reinstall Windows, from scratch.

Reinstall new drivers for everything - make sure you get the latest versions from the web, not from install CDs

Restore your programs from your backups (Do Not Restore from a Restore Point, just your software and data).

Then, if it still doesn't work, I would RMA the card for a new one.

Originally posted by nilden Same issue it's not the driver. I have the exact same video card. It still does the display driver not respoding crap sometimes when watching youtube videos but at least I can play my games. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946 Follow that link and go down to the little mechanic icon guy with the "Microsoft fix it" Fix this problem. Save and run. Restart system, run game. I spent 2 hours hooking up this new video card and was very frustrated. Hope this helps.  

I have gotten this same response with my AMD card and the solution ended up being using old drivers, and then once the newer drivers came out, using those drivers. The issue was specific to the Unreal Engine. They eventually got it fixed, or AMD got their stuff fixed. I ended up just not playing the game it was so frustrating in the meantime though.

If the plug from the power supply fits neatly into the plug on the video card, and there are no extra or missing spaces on the plug, then you've plugged the right one in. There is only one way the plug can be plugged in, so if it clicked in, it's plugged in correctly.

If the issue is the driver, Best Buy probably isn't going to fix it. I wouldn't blame the people who built the computer either...unless Quizzical says they charged you too much money. :-)

What eventually worked for me was uninstalling the new driver, and going back several driver revisions. I think 11.8 was the current driver, and 11.3 actually worked with the Unreal Engine and the game I was trying to play. I uninstalled/reinstalled 1 revision at a time until it worked. Then I decided the game really wasn't worth it, and the Unreal Dev Kit wasn't worth it either and got rid of both. Guild Wars 2 is probably worth it though. :-)

I deleted the old nvidia driver by going into control panel / devices / hardware then uninstalling it before installing the new one

Nvidia - chipset

Nvidia- Display

Nvidia- PhysX

just trying to be extra careful, dont want to delete system32 or something, because ive done that before.. lol

There's your problem.  You never uninstalled the old video drivers.  Device Manager doesn't know much about video drivers, so you'll need to handle them yourself.  Go to Control Panel, then Programs and Features.  The Nvidia video drivers should be somewhere on the list, though I don't know off hand what they're called.  I haven't used an Nvidia card in a while, but it's likely that the Nvidia software would know how to uninstall everything that needs to be uninstalled.  

My recommendation would be to uninstall both the Catalyst 12.8 that you just installed, and also the Nvidia video drivers.  After that, run Driver Sweeper to make sure they're gone.  Then do a clean install of Catalyst 12.8.

Originally posted by Quizzical You've uninstalled the old video drivers, haven't you?  When switching from Nvidia to AMD or vice versa, you need to make sure that the old drivers are gone.  It's sometimes recommended that you run Driver Sweeper after uninstalling them to make sure that the old drivers are completely gone.

Nvidia - chipset

Nvidia- Display

Nvidia- PhysX

Don't remove the PhysX. That's used for games and some games will give you grief if you uninstall it. Not sure about the Chipset, that might be necessary for your motherboard. The display driver you should be able to uninstall safely.

** edit **
    Er...yeah. What Quizzical said. :-)