Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want the Trinity back! *sob*

124»

Comments

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by grapevine
     to fill a roll

I'll take one with turkey, swiss and mustard. Thanks.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

the trinity works fine for me in non pvp games, like ffxi. i loved it in that game, but anygame where there's is any sort of pvp there seems to be a lack of people wanting to play the 2 major classes, healer and tank.

I think aion did the cleric well, (maybe a little 2 op) but made for more people playing and enjoying the class. tank however, i still dont know what they can do with it to make more people want to play it

• lightningjaclightningjac Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

No way! Never! We only just managed to get rid of the trinity, finally!

Never been a fan of trinity systems but that's what we were stuck with for a long time. It doesn't fit with the D&D origins of the games, nor ultlimately with the Tolkeinesque roots of the genre as a whole. It also presupposes the complete idiocy of any enemy you face. Let's face it, if you were a troll/gnoll/kobold/bandit and some guy kept healing this big guy with the shield in front of you, who would you kill first?

I'm still waiting for an MMO to come along with no healing at all, but proper mitigation/avoidance mechanics. Maybe one day...

I never understood the zeal of some people to get rid of it. For me it is something that works. That's like saying "We have used the wheel for so long, I am tired of my cars/bikes/carts driving on wheels, let's replace the wheel with something else!" Why change something that worked, just for the sake of novelty?

And I am totally honest here: I simply do not *want* to do so much thinking, planning and reacting. I play my games for relaxtion and recreation, but that's just me. ;)

Spock said that once, why humans in their recreation often seek out such strenuous taks is illogical, and I just can agree with him. ^^

Where is my hover cars damnit im bored of driving on the ground

• IamAproposIamApropos Member Posts: 173

After playing Ascalon Catas (first dungeon) in GW2 and wiping about 50 times... I WANT MY TRINITY BACK LIEK NAO!

*stomps feet* *whine* *cry* *moan*

I've ran AC twice, once with me being a guardian with 4 elementalists.   The problem wasn't that we didn't have a tank or healer its that PUG's are just impossible.  They wouldn't revive downed players and when they were downed or full dead they wouldn't do anything and completely wait for you to fully revive them....  Was a completely HORRIBLE experience because of the unskilled PUG's.

The second time I ran was with a balanced group, 2 Guardians, 1 Warrior, 1 Ranger and a Thief.  This run was also with a couple people on voice chat bein able to coordinate together.   The warrior kept face checking and had absolutely no awareness, pulling other mobs while we were fighting a group already.  All that and we still had a successful run.

That being said, I have spent my countless hours over the last 10 years waiting on healers or tanks.  I have also suffered thru numbers of worthless mouthy know it all tanks / healers who have no clue how to do their jobs.   Absolutely do not want Tank / Healer designated roles in Guild Wars 2!!!

Is the system that Guild Wars 2 challanging for Dungeons?  Oh yes it is, very much so and especially so for Ascalonian Catacombs.   The later dungeons are not as difficult.

Though I had one bad run with AC  There is no way in HELL I prefer the designated classes.   I love how Anet has designed this and wont return to the old ways.

IamApropos
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

No way! Never! We only just managed to get rid of the trinity, finally!

Never been a fan of trinity systems but that's what we were stuck with for a long time. It doesn't fit with the D&D origins of the games, nor ultlimately with the Tolkeinesque roots of the genre as a whole. It also presupposes the complete idiocy of any enemy you face. Let's face it, if you were a troll/gnoll/kobold/bandit and some guy kept healing this big guy with the shield in front of you, who would you kill first?

I'm still waiting for an MMO to come along with no healing at all, but proper mitigation/avoidance mechanics. Maybe one day...

I never understood the zeal of some people to get rid of it. For me it is something that works. That's like saying "We have used the wheel for so long, I am tired of my cars/bikes/carts driving on wheels, let's replace the wheel with something else!" Why change something that worked, just for the sake of novelty?

And I am totally honest here: I simply do not *want* to do so much thinking, planning and reacting. I play my games for relaxtion and recreation, but that's just me. ;)

Spock said that once, why humans in their recreation often seek out such strenuous taks is illogical, and I just can agree with him. ^^

I know this is from a number of pages back (well, page 1), but to me it's more like being used to training wheels for so long that when someone finally removes them you fall a couple times and scream for them to be put back on.

Keep at it. You'll learn to ride without them soon enough.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I kinda like the lack of trinity, though in my first dungeon with my engineer I kinda got 1 shooted everytime someone got me up (it was the 40 level one)

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Tymoris
    I kinda like the lack of trinity, though in my first dungeon with my engineer I kinda got 1 shooted everytime someone got me up (it was the 40 level one)

The level 40 is the easiest by far.

Now to the OP:

How to build your character:

Choose 1 type of damage - sustained, crit based, condition based.

Choose 1 type of defense - lots of vit with some thoughness, lots of thoughness with healing, lots of "oh shit buttons" be it blocks, blinks, invis, invulnerabilities. etc.

Choose how you healping your team - stacking boons, stacking incapacitating conditions, AoE heal or CC.

Ok,

Now bring a ton of money for repairs,

Bring all the weapons your profession can use since you'll need strong single target damage or strong AoE damage,

Never stop,

Use the environment,

Don't stay to close for long.

Try to combo.

Be prepared to change traits and utility skills (hint get a lot of them).

Be prepared to use wacky strategies like pulling bosses into the water.

Be prepared to play different during each encounter in the dungeon.

When doing explorable for the first time - remmeber to breath, keyboards cost money, monitors even more, it is possible, Anet are sadists, make sure you have a few hours free.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I did Cadecus Manor SM earlier today, and it was so much easier than AC SM.  I think AC needs to be nerfed a little, especially since it's the entry lvl dungeon.
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

I liked the trinity system .

It made me feel needed if I was DPS Healer or Tank .  I felt for some reason I was an important part of the group .

Sure I hated having to look for healer or tank or DPS but that is the price you pay for being important to every group .

This non trinity system kinda makes everyone just another clone .

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151
    I too miss the trinity system as well, but GW2 offers a different and interesting perspective. Also helps finding groups MUCH easier. We'll have to wait for the new elder scrolls MMO or EQ Next (possibly? who knows) before we see another decent fantasy MMO with the traditional trinity system again.