Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC.Gamer review 94%

13»

Comments

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    WoW's score was spot on. The game was epic when it came out and this was reflected by all the praise the game got. But then again back then critic scores actually meant something.

WoW was a boring, derivitive, uninspired EQ clone when it came out.

It got good reviews because it was the first massive budget MMO with a 2 year long advertisement campaign. Its the same reason it did well to begin with, marketing. PC Gamer isn't going to give a big budget Blizzard MMO a bad score and risk their ire.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Originally posted by Tibernicus
    Originally posted by Angier2758
    Originally posted by QSatu

This part:

"ArenaNet seem to have wilfully ignored the fact that gamers have, over the last decade, segregated themselves into camps: PvPers and PvEers, hardcore and casual. GW2 wants you to be a generalist. Overcommit to a single part and the experience suffers: you’ll either burn out on chasing down vistas, grow weary of competing over the same four PvP maps, or lag behind the levelling curve of your personal story. The experience suffers when the pace falters, but it’s a solvable problem. You can always do something else."

It is so very true. It describes GW2 perfectly.

Thats how all MMOs were designed before WoW.

Funny, the WOW fans spend all their time talking about how bad pre WoW MMOs were, and now that an MMO comes along that embraces the ideas of pre WoW MMOs, its the JEsus MMO.

I remember those mmos differently. Gring, camp grind, some more grind and a little bit more camping.

Oh good, another kid who pretends he played EverQuest and then pretends all pre WoW MMOs were EverQuest. Pro tip- they weren't.

I remember DAoC. Hm, today should I ... find a gruop for a dungeon crawl? Go explore? Do bounties? Talk to some NPCs and find quests? Do kill tasks? Hunt for an artifact? Go on a raid? Go in the battlegrounds to level up? Go into the frontier to level up? Do I solo? Do I craft? Should I work on a spellcraft template? Should I just go to the bar and hang out with guildies?

I remember DAoC also... dungeons crawls were silly and no one did them actually, they were the primary way to level up, especially pre level 40 (loot was subpar to crafted by a fair margin) most new players couldn't afford crrafted gear  in fact the ONLY reason people did raids pre ToA was for glowy effects.. the best gear was always crafted. They did it for fun and for respec stones and vanity items. Its by far the best raiding system I've ever seen in an MMO.

People used to level at particular camps at certain level ranges.... hardly anyone wandered around or explored... how do I know?  Every camp had a flipping line of people waiting to get into the xp group. I never waited in line for a camp in my 8 years playing the game, I think you're confusing it with EQ. There were always comparable areas to go, and you got bonus exp for killing mobs nobody has touched in a long time.

It was very grindy except for levels where you were able to do battleground pvp. Which was from levels 15 to level 41...

DAoC's plus side was the pvp... everything else was meh. It had some of the best PvE content out there. It's just the PvP was better.   ToA blew HARD because while you used to be able to pvp on any character soon as you hit 50 by just a week or two of grinding... now you had to do ToA skill crap and needed the artifact gear. ToA's impact on RvR was bad and indeed killed the game. But the content itself is the best raids I've seen in any MMO to date. Better than EQ, better than Vanguard, better than FF11.

Ruined the game.

EQ1 was 100x as grindy though and I miss the dungeon crawls.

Crafted gear was not expensive to get.. you could get 94% quality very cheaply (% = the armor and number of stats that could fit)... even the best dungeon gear was 89%.

People did raids mostly for vanity gear (specifically the glowy stuff) and for fun... which sounds dangerously close to what GW2's end game is.

I played on Guin and Perci and there were always lines in Hib and Alb leveling up spots... hardly anyone did the dungeons.

the dungeons were used by some people, but as far as I remember they were mostly taken by power leveling groups (which were not pugs).

Sorry the pve was fairly crap in DAoC.. the BEST part IMO (silver lining) was darkness falls.... they really need that in GW2.. would make it meaningful as hell.

PS - the smart folks did not do battlegrounds too low for their range because of the damage difference... more than 3 levels and people started resisting magic easier also.  Archers and stealthers could tear people up much easier if they were more than a couple lvels lower....

Originally posted by Jackdog

You should be able to trade between players. It's dumb that that basic feature isn't there.

mail system does the same thing, whats teh problem?

The mail system DOESN'T do the same thing. That's what the problem is.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

You should be able to trade between players. It's dumb that that basic feature isn't there.

so what does the mail system not do? I mailed about 10 food items to the guild cook this morning, what would have been differerent if I had had to chase hin down and do a face to face trade?

I miss DAoC

This part:

"ArenaNet seem to have wilfully ignored the fact that gamers have, over the last decade, segregated themselves into camps: PvPers and PvEers, hardcore and casual. GW2 wants you to be a generalist. Overcommit to a single part and the experience suffers: you’ll either burn out on chasing down vistas, grow weary of competing over the same four PvP maps, or lag behind the levelling curve of your personal story. The experience suffers when the pace falters, but it’s a solvable problem. You can always do something else."

Funny, the WOW fans spend all their time talking about how bad pre WoW MMOs were, and now that an MMO comes along that embraces the ideas of pre WoW MMOs, its the JEsus MMO.

I remember those mmos differently. Gring, camp grind, some more grind and a little bit more camping.

Oh good, another kid who pretends he played EverQuest and then pretends all pre WoW MMOs were EverQuest. Pro tip- they weren't.

I remember DAoC. Hm, today should I ... find a gruop for a dungeon crawl? Go explore? Do bounties? Talk to some NPCs and find quests? Do kill tasks? Hunt for an artifact? Go on a raid? Go in the battlegrounds to level up? Go into the frontier to level up? Do I solo? Do I craft? Should I work on a spellcraft template? Should I just go to the bar and hang out with guildies?

I remember DAoC also... dungeons crawls were silly and no one did them actually, they were the primary way to level up, especially pre level 40 (loot was subpar to crafted by a fair margin) most new players couldn't afford crrafted gear  in fact the ONLY reason people did raids pre ToA was for glowy effects.. the best gear was always crafted. They did it for fun and for respec stones and vanity items. Its by far the best raiding system I've ever seen in an MMO.

People used to level at particular camps at certain level ranges.... hardly anyone wandered around or explored... how do I know?  Every camp had a flipping line of people waiting to get into the xp group. I never waited in line for a camp in my 8 years playing the game, I think you're confusing it with EQ. There were always comparable areas to go, and you got bonus exp for killing mobs nobody has touched in a long time.

It was very grindy except for levels where you were able to do battleground pvp. Which was from levels 15 to level 41...

DAoC's plus side was the pvp... everything else was meh. It had some of the best PvE content out there. It's just the PvP was better.   ToA blew HARD because while you used to be able to pvp on any character soon as you hit 50 by just a week or two of grinding... now you had to do ToA skill crap and needed the artifact gear. ToA's impact on RvR was bad and indeed killed the game. But the content itself is the best raids I've seen in any MMO to date. Better than EQ, better than Vanguard, better than FF11.

Ruined the game.

Crafted gear was not expensive to get.. It was. you could get 94% quality very cheaply Characters under level 20 had a hard time even affording arrows, much less armor, unless they had a level 50 alt.  (% = the armor and number of stats that could fit)... even the best dungeon gear was 89%. Not true.

People did raids mostly for vanity gear (specifically the glowy stuff) and for fun... which sounds dangerously close to what GW2's end game is. Correct. It's a better system.

I played on Guin and Perci and there were always lines in Hib and Alb leveling up spots... hardly anyone did the dungeons. Which leveling spots were these? There were never lines in Stonehenge, or Avalon City, which were the main high level leveling spots. Often what would happen is, you'd go to a spot and people would be there...so you'd go to a different spot, the game had tons of comparable leveling places. Tepok's mine full? Go to Keltoi. And the only time that dungeons weren't the primary place to level up... was the first few months of launch, when people did tree groups. And that was only at level 45. Pre level 45, the only overland leveling place I can think of is Salisbury. 

the dungeons were used by some people, but as far as I remember they were mostly taken by power leveling groups (which were not pugs).

Sorry the pve was fairly crap in DAoC.. the BEST part IMO (silver lining) was darkness falls.... they really need that in GW2.. would make it meaningful as hell.

Sorry that you only ever went to the same place over and over and never did bounties, quests, tasks, or even explored.

Anyway, the whole point is, there's a ton of GW2 fanboys who scream that old MMOs sucked, but GW2 is the closest game to those old MMOs since WoW came out (except Vanguard) and NOW they praise it for THE EXACT SAME REASONS OLD MMOS ARE PRAISED.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525

so what does the mail system not do? I mailed about 10 food items to the guild cook this morning, what would have been differerent if I had had to chase hin down and do a face to face trade?

You can't "trade" in mail. There is nothing to stop people from grabing what you sent them and run off with it. So thus while the AH was down, you had to trust people if you wanted to sell items.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

And if you score it now you have to deduct for TP being down so long.

Why?  Why on earth would you adjust a score for something that will be 100% insignificant in the games lifespan?  At worst, the delay in getting the TP is negated by the fact that you can post buy lines, and then some. 

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

I prefer this review ( ignoring the scores for those that they matter to )

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/9/6/3295570/guild-wars-2-review

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Another review for another game and the usual responses.Do we ahve to do this everytiem for every review for every game?
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by eggy08

You can't "trade" in mail. There is nothing to stop people from grabing what you sent them and run off with it. So thus while the AH was down, you had to trust people if you wanted to sell items.

well the trading post system is working now so that is not a current problem now is it? Might also want ot petition the drvlopers to institute a COD system if that is reall y a huge issue for you

I miss DAoC

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218

This part:

I remember DAoC also... dungeons crawls were silly and no one did them (loot was subpar to crafted by a fair margin) in fact the ONLY reason people did raids pre ToA was for glowy effects.. the best gear was always crafted.

People used to level at particular camps at certain level ranges.... hardly anyone wandered around or explored... how do I know?  Every camp had a flipping line of people waiting to get into the xp group.

It was very grindy except for levels where you were able to do battleground pvp.

DAoC's plus side was the pvp... everything else was meh.  ToA blew HARD because while you used to be able to pvp on any character soon as you hit 50 by just a week or two of grinding... now you had to do ToA skill crap and needed the artifact gear.

Ruined the game.

DAOC's PvE had some great aspects. Darkness falls raids were awesome. And the exploring part of PVE was amazing, when shrouded isles came out I could wander around exploring for hours. The grind was pretty heavy though I will admit, I didn't mind back then though.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

How can you score it already?  That's patently ridiculous.  And if you score it now you have to deduct for HUGE queues on many servers for WvWvW and the TP being down so long.

I don't understand the rush to review MMOs.

You don't have to deduct points for the huge queues in WvWvW. It's just shows that it's extremely popular.

After all technology is limited... you can't have more than that hundreds of players on the same map right now and since WvWvW is not instanced queues are expected.

TP being down for so long is fair. But they have already solved the issue so it doesn't matter much from now on.

It's time for a first extremely positive review. Six months from now we could use a second review.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525

well the trading post system is working now so that is not a current problem now is it? Might also want ot petition the drvlopers to institute a COD system if that is reall y a huge issue for you

Still a system that would be nice. Again, if you want to trade gear for something other than gold, you can't do that without worrying about people highjacking in mail. This wouldn't be a problem without trading.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by otacu

How can you score it already?  That's patently ridiculous.  And if you score it now you have to deduct for HUGE queues on many servers for WvWvW and the TP being down so long.

I don't understand the rush to review MMOs.

You don't have to deduct points for the huge queues in WvWvW. It's just shows that it's extremely popular.

After all technology is limited... you can't have more than that hundreds of players on the same map right now and since WvWvW is not instanced queues are expected.

TP being down for so long is fair. But they have already solved the issue so it doesn't matter much from now on.

It's time for a first extremely positive review. Six months from now we could use a second review.

My feeling has always been that temporary launch issues shouldn't effect review scores unless they are absolutely crippling and/or persist for a long time after launch (read a month).

A review is supposed to be for the game, and last for the life of the game.  A lot of people use reviews to help them make informed purchasing decisions.  if reviewers are knocking of 1-4 points for launch issues that last about a week, then it's going to make the game appear worse than it actually is for the VAST majority of its lifetime.

Launch issues should definitely be mentioned in the review text, but I don't think they should affect the score unless they are horrid.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    I lost respect for PC Gamer after they gave DA2 such a high rating.  That said, I predicted that GW2 would have a 93% metascore, and so far, I'm doing pretty well ;).

Took you that long? lol.

I enjoy the magazine and have been a subscriber for years, but I find their reviews weird.  They tend to have a pattern of giving games scores on how financially successful they predict the game will be.

For example, all Blizzard reviews score above 85%. COD games usually get above 85% as well.

SWG was reviewed twice and both times received the "coaster of the year" award.

UO actually received a <50% rating. 

DCUO was named the best MMO released of its year and named one of the top 100 games of all time.

Occasionally, they toss out a nice review to an indie publisher, but this is usually a really obscure title.

Have also found the games that are ahead of their time seem to score lower:

SWG, UO, Jagged Alliance (one of the first and arguably to best of the massive FPS games ala Battlefield), APB

Personally, I would score GW2 a solid 80 from what I have played, but I wouldn't go any higher than that.

• ShimpoGenmuShimpoGenmu Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by plescure

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/guild-wars-2-review/

i personally think the score is a tad high. with all the teething prblems i would score it late 80's but as somebody points out in the comments, pc.gamer did give DA2 94% :D

its a perfect score for gw2 it deserve it

and so what if it has problems....EVERY SINGLE MMO'S have problems at launch

agreed on DA2 tho...such a high score for such a crappy rushed game

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Oh yeah I forgot that there's no COD system.  My bad, I take back what I said for the most part.  I do like being able to send people mail from anywhere that gets to them immediately unlike WoW's hour long wait system, but something to ensure a legitimate trade would be a nice touch.

• ebonizedebonized Member Posts: 58
    I absolutely love how upset people are at the score. Trying to justify how the game is actually far worse than that, as if there's no possible way that it's actually a good game. Hilarious
    Originally posted by ebonized
    I absolutely love how upset people are at the score. Trying to justify how the game is actually far worse than that, as if there's no possible way that it's actually a good game. Hilarious

Way to totally ignore the whole thread, that's not what this is about.