Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOs need Vanguard-sized worlds...

Comments

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by donjn
    A empty big world is not fun to me.

Bingo! I swear every now and then we get some Vanguard love posts in here. I don't get it. The world was huge, but mostly empty. The graphical style was much like EQ2 in that the colors had a muddy tone.  And because a lot of caves and some dungeons had no loading zones, sometimes your framerate would be worse underground then it would be outside, because the engine continued to draw the outside world too.

It was buggy, doors would appear and dissapear, minning nodes were bugged, etc.. And this is when In tried it out a couple years ago, long after release..

Vanguard had it's time. It was  failure and always will be.

It's not empty it's just a world.

It feels more like a world becasue there isn't a mob to kill every 15 feet. one of the worst things about lotro.

I'll take a vanguard size world any day. And double it!

Bingo! Well put
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I have to say, if there's one thing VG did right, it was the world.  Everything else was a buggy mess, but the world was great.  Today's MMOs however want the top of the line graphics at all costs.  This is wrong imho, but it's what they do.  I'd sacrifice graphics in order to see 15 miles on a clear sunny day in a game...and I hate quick travel.  This is one of the things that made old games great.  In DAoC, I remember getting on a horse and going to grab a sammich because it took 10-15 minutes to ride to the outer reaches...I wish it took longer even lol.

Edit: Go outside (i know i know, the sun...it burns!), but trust me.  Go outside, look around and see how many "mobs" you see around.  I live out by a lake where there is alot more wildlife than a city, and I could maybe count 10 things out there I could kill for loots.  I don't like cramped games like they are now.  100 mobs within 100 yards of you is waaaaay too much.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Bingo! I swear every now and then we get some Vanguard love posts in here. I don't get it. The world was huge, but mostly empty. The graphical style was much like EQ2 in that the colors had a muddy tone.  And because a lot of caves and some dungeons had no loading zones, sometimes your framerate would be worse underground then it would be outside, because the engine continued to draw the outside world too.

It was buggy, doors would appear and dissapear, minning nodes were bugged, etc.. And this is when In tried it out a couple years ago, long after release..

It feels more like a world becasue there isn't a mob to kill every 15 feet. one of the worst things about lotro.

There is a fine line and balance that is needed if the game wants the casual player.  If the game does not want to cater to the casual gamer, that's fine.  Build the biggest, slowest traveling world you want, but you may have population issues.  A casual player who can squeeze in play time in short bursts definitely does not want to play a game in which 15-20 minutes of his/her time is spent traveling from point A to point B, with little to nothing inbetween.

Originally posted by Badaboom

There is a fine line and balance that is needed if the game wants the casual player.  If the game does not want to cater to the casual gamer, that's fine.  Build the biggest, slowest traveling world you want, but you may have population issues.  A casual player who can squeeze in play time in short bursts definitely does not want to play a game in which 15-20 minutes of his/her time is spent traveling from point A to point B, with little to nothing inbetween.

And this is why there will never be another MMO that captures it's audience like EQ and DAoC did.  Casual MMO players aren't really MMO players.  There's nothing "casual" about a real MMO.  Everything is supposed to take hours to do.  Casual MMO players need to go back to thier quick RTS, FPS games, leave us MMO players alone.  I still insist the "real" MMO community is extremely small, no company is going to support a game that will only at maximum command a 5% or so margin of a market...ever.

Edit:  This is one of the reasons why WoW is so successful.  The potential market of players that can play it are huge.  Pretty much if you own a computer with internet, you can play WoW.  Alot of newer MMOs start with such a small potential market, they're doomed.  It's like making a product that is only for people that live in a town of less than 100 people, who like to eat dog poo, that are missing both arms, and use a flag pole to play giant tetherball...there's like maybe 1 person in the world that fits that market...no money to be made there XD

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433

That was one of the final straws when I quit LotRO the first time. How boxed in an artificial all the world seemed... with sprawling masses of boars and wolves EVERYWHERE. All the same reskinned model, in every zone, but with a bigger name. I must have done 20 kill wolf quests before I quit and they were all the same. Why are there so many monsters in The Shire? The entire point of the books is that the Rangers protected the Shire...

LotRO is one of those games where you can tell the game priority killed the world (but we knew any form of integrity the game had was lost when they changed from Middle Earth Online to LotRO). With an IP like Lord of the Rings, the world should have been paramount.

Vanguard is loaded with more content than almost any MMO on the market today. Its not empty, by any stretch of the word.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Wait, I've always been told that size doesn't matter.
    Originally posted by Gravarg

And this is why there will never be another MMO that captures it's audience like EQ and DAoC did.  Casual MMO players aren't really MMO players.  There's nothing "casual" about a real MMO.  Everything is supposed to take hours to do.  Casual MMO players need to go back to thier quick RTS, FPS games, leave us MMO players alone.  I still insist the "real" MMO community is extremely small, no company is going to support a game that will only at maximum command a 5% or so margin of a market...ever.

Well you can, but you will have population issues.  People want to make money.  Sounds like you need to start supporting Darkfall.  THAT was a beautiful world.  Just everything about it was grindy.  If I had the time, would probably still be playing.

Originally posted by Psychow

lol

Originally posted by Psychow

It's not the size that matters, but if it has a dynamic event.

Originally posted by Gravarg

Er, the core MMORPG market (aka, the real MMO gamers) number in the 2-3 millions. Currently there are no MMOs aiming for that audience. Even with a modest budget, a company could make a KILLING developing a well polished hardcore MMO aimed at those millions. They'd have more than all the failed WoW clones.

• yabooeryabooer Member Posts: 97
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

Why don't modern MMOs have Vanguard-sized worlds?

For some nostalgic reason, I installed Vanguard. After being so used to games like Star Trek Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Aion, Tera, and SWTOR, I was overwhelmed with Vanguard's world size.

There was this mountain. I decided to climb. I expected to make it up or run into some invisible wall. However, I made it to the top. On the other side of the mountain was an espansion of land that went further than I could see. I feel absorbed. It was great. I just wish the game wasn't so old.

Because most players don't play MMO to walk around?

There it is, the mind set of new aged MMO players. The new MMO community is the reason why there isn't any huge worlds. Not to point out this player in particular just the mindset of players now. They are lazy, I would bet money on how huge of a success a feature that would allow you to not go back to camp, to turn in the quest on the spot right after killing X would be.

Companies stopped making huge worlds they noticed a pattern, players go from zone A to C because A has the best leveling for 1-10, and C has the best for 11-20, skipping out on B because it wasn't the fastest way. They condensed the world so you go from A to B to C to D etc... cutting out the content no one did, so they could cap the fastest.

Personally I loved VG I played all the time before the took out the FFA PvP server, I loved discovering new lands, new places to farm, the diplo quests in areas or the crafting quests that most players miss out on because they want to cap, but then again I'm a rare commodity in MMO's, no one explores or enjoys the content they just grindgrindgrind.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Tibernicus
    Originally posted by Senkensha
    Originally posted by laserit

Wow.  Lots of Dark Age love.  I put 8 years into that game, and quite honestly, is the mmo to have turned me on to mmo's.  

The one thing I do have the utmost respect for is the fact that Arenanet at least paid attention to making sure there was a wide variety of what to do.  I log in, and from there I can craft, I can wvw, I can sPvP, I can explore, grab some vistas, go gathering.  Group or solo, rain or shine, it doesn't matter.

I guess the things that DAoC had, or that Vanguard even had, or EQ1 / UO / Whatever mmo you came from had, was that they had the initimidating scare-the-living-hell-out-of-you areas that you would traverse even thoiugh you were SOOOO not supposed to be there.  And you actually got nervous, maybe a bit heated, or even scared.

Now we see mmo's that have these short open and close windows and shooting for a more short lived approach at things.  I don't want a game that targets me for 6 monthes.  I want to be immersed.

Sadly, modern  MMOs are afraid to make their players fail. Evidence is how insanely easy GW2 is, and how, if you die, nothing bad happens. And everything scales too.

There is a difficult balance point when it comes to that, if you want to be commercialy successful. I'm surprised that no one (expecialy Blizzard) hasnt come up with different server's of various skill level's yet.

I WoW was a lot more difficult in the leveling game, I would probably play again.

I also dont mind having to try 20 times to be successful with an ecounter if thats what it takes, but there is a line where certain types of penalties can just be to much of a time sink  pain in the ass.

See, this confuses me because when I played dark age, I quite enjoyed the xp loss on death.  It's not that I actually enjoy losing progress, but that I enjoy the idea that I need to be careful and take care, and that I should stick with friends when need be.

I do NOT like the "an hero" philosophy of modern mmo's (not all; as a generalization).  But to reiterate, I also understand that everyone's different which is why I believe in games focusing on their targets.  Stick to your guns, have a vision and make something beautiful (and hopefully that I want to play).

@Tibernicus It's a sad truth.

Death penalties are absolutely necessary to making a long lasting impression, for me, in an MMO. They suck you in and make you believe the world.

Well to make me believe the world, when I die, i would be dead... period and my banked loot passed on to my next of kin.

Corpse runs I enjoy because they are usually very challenging, it sure feels great if you can get you loot back and it sure sucks if you cant.

IMHO xp loss where you have to grind or redo content is just a cheap boring time sink.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Wow.  Lots of Dark Age love.  I put 8 years into that game, and quite honestly, is the mmo to have turned me on to mmo's.  

The one thing I do have the utmost respect for is the fact that Arenanet at least paid attention to making sure there was a wide variety of what to do.  I log in, and from there I can craft, I can wvw, I can sPvP, I can explore, grab some vistas, go gathering.  Group or solo, rain or shine, it doesn't matter.

I guess the things that DAoC had, or that Vanguard even had, or EQ1 / UO / Whatever mmo you came from had, was that they had the initimidating scare-the-living-hell-out-of-you areas that you would traverse even thoiugh you were SOOOO not supposed to be there.  And you actually got nervous, maybe a bit heated, or even scared.

Now we see mmo's that have these short open and close windows and shooting for a more short lived approach at things.  I don't want a game that targets me for 6 monthes.  I want to be immersed.

Sadly, modern  MMOs are afraid to make their players fail. Evidence is how insanely easy GW2 is, and how, if you die, nothing bad happens. And everything scales too.

There is a difficult balance point when it comes to that, if you want to be commercialy successful. I'm surprised that no one (expecialy Blizzard) hasnt come up with different server's of various skill level's yet.

I WoW was a lot more difficult in the leveling game, I would probably play again.

I also dont mind having to try 20 times to be successful with an ecounter if thats what it takes, but there is a line where certain types of penalties can just be to much of a time sink  pain in the ass.

See, this confuses me because when I played dark age, I quite enjoyed the xp loss on death.  It's not that I actually enjoy losing progress, but that I enjoy the idea that I need to be careful and take care, and that I should stick with friends when need be.

I do NOT like the "an hero" philosophy of modern mmo's (not all; as a generalization).  But to reiterate, I also understand that everyone's different which is why I believe in games focusing on their targets.  Stick to your guns, have a vision and make something beautiful (and hopefully that I want to play).

@Tibernicus It's a sad truth.

Death penalties are absolutely necessary to making a long lasting impression, for me, in an MMO. They suck you in and make you believe the world.

Well to make me believe the world, when I die, i would be dead... period and my banked loot passed on to my next of kin.

Corpse runs I enjoy because they are usually very challenging, it sure feels great if you can get you loot back and it sure sucks if you cant.

IMHO xp loss where you have to grind or redo content is just a cheap boring time sink.

Not for realism, death penalties make you fear the world and makes you play more social, more cautious, and try harder. That's why I like them. It doesn't need to be an xp penalty, but it DOES have to be a penalty.

• RribRrib Member Posts: 49

Vanguard won worst game of the year award when it came out. Hardly anything's been fixed. It's still one of the worst games I've every played with a big empty world which crashes back to the load screen on a regular basis. But if you like spending your time re-loading, running around empty space looking at the landscape and being power leveled, go for it.

Originally posted by Rrib

Vanguard won worst game of the year award when it came out. Hardly anything's been fixed. It's still one of the worst games I've every played with a big empty world which crashes back to the load screen on a regular basis. But if you like spending your time re-loading, running around empty space looking at the landscape and being power leveled, go for it.

The game hasn't been buggy since like... 4 years ago.

It didn't win worst game, if anything it would have won worst launch (as SoE forced it out 8 months early).

Know why its still around? Because its still one of the best MMOs out there. And if you think the game world is empty, there must be something literally wrong with your perception abilities, because Vanguard has more content than almost any MMO on the market.

And power leveling? What ? its clear you never played the game.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

Exactly.  I'd love to see a world the size of Vanguard with a content level the size of Skyrim, where you can't walk half a mile without having something to do.  Companies won't do that though, it's too labor and cost intensive.  I have no interest in wandering around an empty expanse, I want to actually do something.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

Originally posted by Cephus404

Exactly.  I'd love to see a world the size of Vanguard with a content level the size of Skyrim, where you can't walk half a mile without having something to do.  Companies won't do that though, it's too labor and cost intensive.  I have no interest in wandering around an empty expanse, I want to actually do something.

Vanguard has FAR more content than Skyrim. Easily.

• BattlestormBattlestorm Member UncommonPosts: 136

I have been loving the posts to this thread. Big, open, explorable expanses are what I find amazing in a game. Asheron's Call was my first MMO love and I fear nothing but Vanguard has come even remotely close. Honestly, if modern controls were applied to Asheron's Call, I'd probably still be playing. I fear the days of yore will remain just that, but I always hold out hope for games like ArchAge and maybe even ESO. Only time will tell I guess, but I think it's great to keep talking about these things. Perhaps one day someone might finally listen.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Sylvarii

For some nostalgic reason, I installed Vanguard. After being so used to games like Star Trek Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Aion, Tera, and SWTOR, I was overwhelmed with Vanguard's world size.

There was this mountain. I decided to climb. I expected to make it up or run into some invisible wall. However, I made it to the top. On the other side of the mountain was an espansion of land that went further than I could see. I feel absorbed. It was great. I just wish the game wasn't so old.

But Vanguard is not a big emty world,it has a vast amount of content.Y ou don't have to walk,you can fly or use run buff from bard or shammy or land mount.

Also you can use riftways that take you part way.

Oh,did i mention you can sail if you have a ship.

sounds like ArcheAge online ...

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

Vanguard world is anything but empty. Even after all these years players are finding things in the world, even dungeons go so deep, you will always find a secret passage which you never saw before and takes you to even more deep in dungeon.

Bite Me

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
        I generally like a big world to explore, but there is such a thing as too big (also too empty)......If it takes too long to run very far then it is a hassle...One of my biggest complaints about alot of MMOs is there is too much running around and not enough playing.....It especially annoys me when I have to run all over on quests.
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

count me in among the masses longing for a large world.  it's what keeps me going back to eve over, and over and over again.

it would be what keeps me going back to vanguard as well, but the character models and animations make me so so sad. 

if you look at some of the communications from eve devs, you'll see them say things like, it's our job to make a world that works and systems in place to enable the players to have fun but it's the players' jobs to have fun.  to me this is the virtual world's perfect mantra (virtual world as opposed to mmo game map).

vanguard is so so close.  archeage might have nailed it but i can't play it until it moves to english spanish or french language server :  so i cant tell for sure.

but to be short and to the point, right on OP.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Nothing worse than restrictive zones.  Restrictive zones killed Conan.  Funcom can't seem to get away from them.  It was a big factor in SWTOR dying on the vine.  There are tons of f2p games with that issue.  

AC1 is still one of the better games out there despite very aging graphics because of the huge world.  Also why I still play Eve, still tons of places to explore.  Vanguard would be great if they ever decide to fix the bugs, right now the lag is horrendous.  

I think the problem is these game shrink themselves greatly because they are using level based areas.  Once done with an area you move on so many of the lower level areas have nothing to offer your character.    Old UO never had that problem of course it's world was not that big.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

I'm not talking about just content, but  concentration of content.  Is it packed as tightly as Skyrim or is it spread thin out all over a massive world?

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I'm not talking about just content, but  concentration of content.  Is it packed as tightly as Skyrim or is it spread thin out all over a massive world?

Spreading out is bad .. i don't want to talk 20 min before seeing anything interesting.