Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was TSW ever planned to be released on consoles??

KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Im wondering because I ran into this video today and it he mentions that the game was supposed to be on the xbox 360. I had never heard of that before and no one in these forums has mentioned it that I know of. Keep in mind the video is super old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjQ2VQ4O34k

This could have been a good thing for the game(still might be if they do it). The audience they will gain is pretty big.

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    They talked about a console game set in the tsw universe but not tsw itself.

E.g. like eve & dust
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    They talked about a console game set in the tsw universe but not tsw itself.

E.g. like eve & dust

Check out the video.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by Kuppa

Im wondering because I ran into this video today and it he mentions that the game was supposed to be on the xbox 360. I had never heard of that before and no one in these forums has mentioned it that I know of. Keep in mind the video is super old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjQ2VQ4O34k

This could have been a good thing for the game(still might be if they do it). The audience they will gain is pretty big.

The original plan was to release it on Xbox 360 as well, but sometime on the development process they announced that they were putting the plans of a console port in the backburner and focusing on a quality PC launch first, and then work on the Xbox version.

Note one thing, though... it isn't the first time Funcom has done that. Age of Conan was slated to be launched on Xbox after the PC version came out, and even after release it was mentioned several times that the console version was coming in the near future, and so far hasn't happened (and after the funcom's restructuring and new focus on "device oriented games" I doubt it'll happen either).

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

Funcom said they would release TSW on Xbox 360.  They made a big song and dance about it, so much so game sites had the game listed under PC/Xbox.   But as per usual Funcom just lied, I don't think they ever had any intention of releasing on console.   They announced they had dropped the Xbox idea very late on in the development cycle.  So late on, that in no way was it viable that they had been developing the game for both platforms. 

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

Console hardware will burst into flames trying to handle AoC or TSW.

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

To be fair consoles throttle data better than most computers due to parts being uniformed, though a fully uniformed pc will always crush the console.

There were plans and they decided against it.

As a matter of fact it was bragged for the 360 by 360 gamers to ps3 gamers..

TSW would not of even hurt the technical standards of the gaming systems today.

Maybe on the ps3 (that is MY system of choice) but not on the 360. Not even close.

Like I said above, they were going to make a separate console game. IF the pc mmo sold well. There was never talk of porting the pc version to consoles.

Now they did dual develop Aoc, which explains a lot, why its pre expansion areas are so heavily instanced and small. (see also dcuo)

With the new engine version for tsw, their primary concerns were getting bigger zones and more players on screen, hence it is pc only, you would have a job on getting 210 people simultaneously pvping on a console, or having zones the size of tsws.
  • RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    They even planned to release AoC on consoles. They also admitted some time later, that they woudln't. They simply do not have money to do it, nor would it guarantee success to do it.
    Like I said above, they were going to make a separate console game. IF the pc mmo sold well. There was never talk of porting the pc version to consoles.

Now they did dual develop Aoc, which explains a lot, why its pre expansion areas are so heavily instanced and small. (see also dcuo)

With the new engine version for tsw, their primary concerns were getting bigger zones and more players on screen, hence it is pc only, you would have a job on getting 210 people simultaneously pvping on a console, or having zones the size of tsws.
    No they stated early on that TSW would be released on PC and Xbox 360.  IGN still have an Xbox 360 page for TSW.   But like I said I think they just lied in order to gain exposure for the game.  I don't think they ever had any intention to release on Xbox.

Again with AOC I don't think they ever had any intention.  Being heavily instanced was a limitation of Funcom technology nothing to with being designed for console.

With something like an MMO it's not just a quick port to a console, your whole design ethos and decisions would be based around dual platform development.  You can see this in DC Universe Online, it's designed for a console and adapted to be played on PC.   That is how TSW would have to be done, there is no evidence to that effect.   The argument they were going to make a console game if the MMO did well, only surfaced after they had announced there would be no Xbox 360 version of TSW.

Again the xbox proposed game wasn't a mmo
    Again the xbox proposed game wasn't a mmo

They said TSW was launching on PC and Xbox 360, there was no mention of it being a different game.   That only came after, when they announced no 360 release.