Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How are people leveling to 80 so quickly?

FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

I assume they don't have jobs, or postponed their jobs for a week or two so they could grind on a virtual world instead of making real money?

I don't know to be honest. I'm usually a fast leveler in hard games, but in GW2 I've tried doing Hearts, World Events, WvWvW (of which I found to be the best Xp next to Kessex hills 15 -> 35) etc.

How the heck are people going from 1 -> 80 in 90hrs? Are you exploiting a bugged event chain, or what? Because doing all the hearts in a zone & world events isn't doing it :|.

Maybe me only able to play for 6hrs each day (even then that's excessive) is hampering me :)?

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

A lot of the 80's that posted in my /age thread were all playing an AVERAGE of 10+ hours a day.

But their map completion was only 40-60%.

• gieger808gieger808 Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Leveling in groups, crafting. It's easy if you aren't really interested in savoring the experience.
  • ApolyonBSApolyonBS Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Probably crafting... Anyway, I think you can get to 80 just reviving allies, everything gives experience here!
  • gamingforfactgamingforfact Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I did it in 100 hours. I had use them or lose them days for work, so I took three weeks off. I went into each zone for my level, discovered all the waypoints and I would go from one waypoint to another and just did all the events. It was a grind up till level 70. IMO 70-80 went by really fast.
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    A lot of the 80's that posted in my /age thread were all playing an AVERAGE of 10+ hours a day.

I used to could play like that. Now it would result in crippling back pain and bleeding eyes lol.

Pesonally I don't worry too much about it, as long as I can still find folks to play with and have fun.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    He was correct then, don't have jobs.

A better question woukd be why? Not how?

Do these guys think they are playing wow and will be able to go around 1 shotting "newbs" in their "wtfpwnl33t" gear?
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I guess most lvl 80 people

a) are school kids, who rush home after school and play until they fall asleep

b) people who took a few days off to play the game

c) people without jobs

d) or students having holidays

I'm not judging anyone of course. We all have only one life, and should do what makes us most happy. :)

I personally play the game about daily, and my character is now... what was it... level 16 or 17. Getting to 80 that quickly, phew... But I also got a full time job, cook my own food, visit friends for parties and birthdays and board game evenings and whatnot.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• GorkosGorkos Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I created my main on headstart day and I'm "only" around 65 and I find it too much, lol. I think lvling is too fast in this game. Don't even understand why people were complaining about "slow" lvling during BWEs... It's easy to lvl, sometimes I get gold (!) medal for events I don't even participate just farming around the area. Bug? I think many people stay afk at a safe spot to get exp / karma / coppers while they are asleep ... Not to mention, most DEs happen again and again and again, easy to farm those things... I try to skip them and just do hearts and unlocking stuff on the map and I still lvl too fast. Also, I gave up crafting because 1.) It's getting expensive and 2.) I lvl too fast with it. I think we get too much exp for crafting. By the time I made my armor for my lvl I had to work on my next set because it lvled me up 2 or 3 times... : (
  • AriolanderAriolander Member UncommonPosts: 97

Map Exploration

My brother got to lvl 80 fairly quickly, with little to no grinding, just exploring maps to 100% and doing any Dynamic Events that crossed his path.

That being said I have been playing more than him but I am only lvl 53, mainly because I have been dabbling in sPVP and WvW, where I was shooting for fun rather than EXP.

Not to say my brother wasn't having fun, he generally enjoys map exploration, and lucky for him ArenaNet made exploration VERY rewarding both in terms of money, and EXP.

• OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96

I play about 2 hours per day.  Jeez no wonder I'm so far behind.  I'll be 80 when others get their 3rd alt to 80.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    the ones in my guild are leveling the fastest are doing so through  through PvP. I played 10 hours a day since early launch on average and my highest is a 41 elementalist. I do a lot of exploring, got 2 alts in their low to mid teens. Been crafting and farming crafting goodies a lot  and just enjoying the game in general. Spent 2 hours last night helping a guildie complete a map etc, no hurry here. I don't see it as a race to 80

I miss DAoC

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267
    Can anyone tell me, how do you level fast in WvW? I tired WvW several times, and allmost got no XP at all.
  • prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258

I've been played a max of 5-6 hours a day before classes started. No one's exploiting any bug and it isn't surprising at all that they're at level 80. I would be surprised if there weren't many 80s. GW games always sped up the leveling process and focused a ton on "endgame" (in quotes because that was when the real game started in the original games). They even said the leveling process has been made in such a way that it will not and should not take you much time to level up a character to level 80. You are doing all the hearts right? Also I found that you forgo a lot og exp if you ignore events. 

• donaldduckdonaldduck Member UncommonPosts: 158

I don't know - maybe just plain rushing?

And those people who have rushed have missed out on something really great.

How many of those 80s have actuallly got to a vista point, stopped and looked around appreciating the artistry of the game designers?

How many have actually talked to every NPC with an option to do so just to get a feel for the area and their 'lives'?

How many have dove into a lake to see what creatures are lurking or on the off chance their might be a hidden cave?

How many have walked around a town/city just to listen to the NPC chatter?

How many have taken part in a certain heart quest a few times simply because it was FUN?

How many... you get the idea...

I've done all that and more and will continue to play that way.

So who cares how they got to 80 so quick because they sadly missed the entire point of this game.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    Can anyone tell me, how do you level fast in WvW? I tired WvW several times, and allmost got no XP at all.

I got really low amounts of xp in WvW as well. WvW is terrible imo. I liked the old PvP system. 

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Hmmmm! Playing the game! I work fulltime and train 2 - 2.5hrs a day before i get on a game. Don't think it as anything to do with not having a job but effciiency when gaming.
  • AriolanderAriolander Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by prpshrt

I got really low amounts of xp in WvW as well. WvW is terrible imo. I liked the old PvP system. 

WvW gives most of its EXP in short and rapid bursts. Even then you have to be contributing to the battle and killing people/doing stuff. Inbetween the flurry of activity there is a lot of downtime, especially if you find yourself dead and making the long walk back to the front lines.

If you are playing WvW for EXP, you are playing WvW for the wrong reasons. Indeed, it does give EXP, but that should not be your primary reason to play WvW... or any part of GW2 for that matter. Just try to have fun, the game gives EXP for just about EVERYTHING you do.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

I assume they don't have jobs, or postponed their jobs for a week or two so they could grind on a virtual world instead of making real money?

I don't know to be honest. I'm usually a fast leveler in hard games, but in GW2 I've tried doing Hearts, World Events, WvWvW (of which I found to be the best Xp next to Kessex hills 15 -> 35) etc.

How the heck are people going from 1 -> 80 in 90hrs? Are you exploiting a bugged event chain, or what? Because doing all the hearts in a zone & world events isn't doing it :|.

Maybe me only able to play for 6hrs each day (even then that's excessive) is hampering me :)?

If you take into account that most players at 80 have played between 100 and 115 hours... it would mean they're playing about 10 hours a day. I don't want to hate on them, cause hey, if you have the time and enjoy doing it.. do it. 

I just can't do that and I'm actually happy about it. People who have this amount of time to game... eventually quit gaming because nothing.. and I mean nothing will be able to keep them happy. I get to play for about two hours every other night during the week, but can put in about 4-6 hours on Saturday and Sunday before the family wakes up and after they go to bed lol. I consider gamers like myself the luckiest. It will take me probably 6 months to a year to hit max level and by then, they'll have an expansion ready. 

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i've only been playing maybe 30-40 hours so far and have 3 characters to level 15, and 2 at levle 7-8. if i had stuck with just one guy i probably would be arround level 60/70 by now.....so almost 80....also at least half of that time was WvW too.

so really it doesn't take much to level.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Before you say we don't have jobs you do know there are jobs where you can work and play video games at the same time right?
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by prpshrt

Depends on the match. if there is a lot of flipping going on you can make really good karma/xp.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• DmyankeeDmyankee Member UncommonPosts: 135

Crafting, and doing all the areas ... if you leave 1 spot open in each area and go and complete you can level 75 to 80 in about 45 mniutes ... a guildie did that ...

saved all mats for crafting till 75 and then finished all the zones. This game is terrably easy to level in if you do all the zone events and other activites you get a ton of exp. I have just done kessex hills but most of all the starter areas and I am 30 almost 31.

Artorus Giltanus - Ranger EQ1 Retired
    Arturien - 90 Deathknight WoW

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Xzen
    Before you say we don't have jobs you do know there are jobs where you can work and play video games at the same time right?

I don't call those jobs. I call those "opportunities for unemployment" :).

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

You know, it doesn't take that long to get 80 levels. Especially since the leveling rate is flat. If I had focused on one character, I would probably be in the 70's at this point. I have a level 30, a level 20, and a few level 10s (can't pick a prof!!).

Running events is about the most efficient way of leveling, I have found. Supplement your XP with gathering and some crafting and you're 80 before you know it. A week or two for a level 80 isn't really that astonishing, it's just using your time well.

• krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122

Find a big zerg -> circle the enemy zergs taking undefended keeps -> maximum exp. (it's not really PvP tho)

This discussion has been closed.