Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did GW2 break any records?

Comments

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Krytycal
    Originally posted by MosesZD
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Reality - GW2 sold so many copies that they had to halt sales.

You realize that doesn't prove anything, right?  All it shows is that they weren't prepared to accomadate the sales they did get, which if anything, is a failure on their part and will hurt them long-term.

When you sell more than you thought you would...that's called being successful.  No, it doesn't prove that the game is "TEH WoW KILLAH!" or anything like that, but it proves that the game is doing well.

Do you honestly believe that after years of development, ANet's server infrastructure was so crappy that it couldn't support enough sales for the game to be considered a success?

Not in the business world it isn't. There it's called failure to project sales. It can irreparably hurt companies and people get fired over it. Shutting down sales is not a success. Especially not for an MMO themepark, where they need to sell as many copies at launch before the drop-off hits them. It will be no different with GW2 and it's already showing. Only difference is they did not grab as many sales as they possibly could, which I guarantee you months from now we'll be looking back and listing that as a reason why GW2 didn't do as well as everyone expected.

Actually, in business (where I operate) it's not like that at all.   Different types of products have kinds of life-cycles.   Your assumption to sales is false.   It's not a box/sub model.   The best example for GW2 is GW1.

GW1 has sold 7+ million copies at this point in time.    It sold between 300K and 500K NEW ACCOUNTS a QUARTER until the announced they'd stopped development in 2008.  At that point in time it had sold 5.8 million NEW ACCOUNTs.   Since then it's still sold (2009 -- 2012)  over 300K NEW ACCOUNTS per year.

Those are FACTS.  That's how we DO business.   Facts, more facts and check the facts.   Because in BUSINESS talking out your butt leads to being sued or bankruptcy.    And neither is fun.

That was what I orginally thought as well, until a fanboi corrected me and explained that ANET has stated they were not going for the GW1 model, and instead would focus less on expansions and more on free content and microtransactions. The Box + Microtransaction model is really not that much different than the Box + Sub model.

Of course, the fanboi could've been trolling me, or ANET might change their mind and release expansions to cash in every 6 months. Either way failure to forecast sales is a failure in business any way you look at it.

Don't you think it's just a little ironic that you are extremely quick to label anyone who seems to ever say anything positive about GW2 a fanboi, and yet if anyone dares to say that you think GW2 will fail you get all uppity about it?

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by Tibernicus
    Originally posted by Wolvards

MMORPG.com forum sentiment - GW2 has failed, OMG the false prophet!

Truth is, I don't know exactly how many they sold.  But the fact that they had to STOP sales means they obviously sold more than they expected.  I would hardly call that a failure ;).

There's a difference between "more than expected" and "more than they can handle". GW2 did the latter, not the former.

Darkfall too had to halt sales in its launch week. Doesn't mean it sold a ton.

hell lets open 15 new servers then, throw them all in the WvW rotation, and make it so there is just way to many servers than what we really need (SW:TOR i'm looking at you). 

That way when the playerbase levels off (which it will, no game has 100% retention), some of our "new" servers that all these haters wanted, are left with half empty populations. 

Instead, lets take some of the money we got from all these purchases, and put it towards server integrity? Maybe increase the server capacity so the servers that ARE live can hold more? Then we can add more of these updated servers in due time IF we still need to?

Nah lets throw common sense out the window, HEY JOHNNY, FUCK IT JUST OPEN EM ALL UP!! THE HATERS REALLY WANT THEM!!! JUST PUSH THE BIG GREEN BUTTON!.

Wow, you GW2 fanboys are totally delusional. I didn't say anything to attack your precious messiah. Take a class in reading comprehension and then reread what I wrote before you call me a "hater".

Also, btdubs, all the best MMOs grew larger over time, they didn't "level off" after launch.

Wasn't basing it off your post entirely, but look at the lot of this thread.

Again, I know it came off at YOUR post, but it was intended at the thread, this became a "log into your alt accounts and throw something harsh out". 

And only game I can think of that hasn't level'd off in recent years, is WoW. GW2 will grow some, grow some, grow some, but it will eventually level off. Saying it wouldn't would be... no. Not with this MMO community.

DAoC didn't level off within months of launch. Neither did UO, or EQ, or AC, or SB, or Eve, or Darkfall, none of them. They all grew over time and peaked about 3 years later.

This is true, but (IMO) it's only because the MMORPG market in general was growing a lot back then.  I fully expect a significant active player drop off in GW2 after a few months.  BUT I still think the game will retain a very large amount of active players, and I doubt that there will be any server merges in the near future...provided ANet doesn't stupidly add 30 servers :).

Darkfall came out 3 years ago and is still growing, as is Eve. The difference is how those games were designed, not the MMO market itself or the time they released in. They were designed around community in a virtual world, which kept people playing and invested. They usually had solid end game models too. People in general played longer and stayed longer. Modern MMOs aren't designed around community or dynamic player actions, they're designed around quest grinding, hence why they drop off once content is complete.

GW2 will do better than all the recent WoW clones in terms of retention. I'm not sure it'll do well in terms of long term growth though. Better than SWTOR anyway.

First off, I apologize for the rabid fanboi post, second off, comparing a game with a super niche community, to a game that was released years ago, comparing it to a game that is relaeased with todays instant gratification playerbase, is not comparing similar products. 

I played DAoC for 7 years, release it NOW, even with a new skin, and people would hate it. It's the playerbase. All recent MMOs have risen risen risen risen peaked, and dropped. So to expect anyhting more or less from GW2 is again, IMO a no no.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Eir_S

GW2 had as much hype and marketing behind it as SWTOR did, if not more.

lol No.

Yeah really, 90% of the hype and marketing for GW2 was word of mouth by fans.  SWTOR had tons of OMFG AWOE-SOME mega-expensive CG trailers.

SWTOR had TV ads.    Between SWTOR and BF3, EA spent more than $100 million more on advertising in FYE 03/2012 than FYE 03/2011.   It was crazy the amount of money that was flowing out the second half of their fiscal year.

I thought it was around those numbers, but didn't have the facts on hand, I just knew it was far, FAR more than ANet has ever spent on marketing their game.  I'm beginning to think maybe they should have thrown a little more $$$ at media like TV.

lol No.

Yeah really, 90% of the hype and marketing for GW2 was word of mouth by fans.  SWTOR had tons of OMFG AWOE-SOME mega-expensive CG trailers.

SWTOR had TV ads.    Between SWTOR and BF3, EA spent more than $100 million more on advertising in FYE 03/2012 than FYE 03/2011.   It was crazy the amount of money that was flowing out the second half of their fiscal year.

I thought it was around those numbers, but didn't have the facts on hand, I just knew it was far, FAR more than ANet has ever spent on marketing their game.  I'm beginning to think maybe they should have thrown a little more $$$ at media like TV.

If I were them, I would hold off and then hit it heavy with the TV ads around the holiday season.  They are obviously selling more than enough copies right now from gamers that just heard about the game via word of mouth.

I think that they will have plenty of time to get their servers in order by black friday, and then they can start some real aggressive marketing to get the more "out of touch" gamers with Christmas gifts...

I also think that being B2P, GW2 is an awesome sell for Christmas because there is no subscription obligation that comes with it.  I would never want to give someone a surprise gift that required a sub.

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

You realize that doesn't prove anything, right?  All it shows is that they weren't prepared to accomadate the sales they did get, which if anything, is a failure on their part and will hurt them long-term.

When you sell more than you thought you would...that's called being successful.  No, it doesn't prove that the game is "TEH WoW KILLAH!" or anything like that, but it proves that the game is doing well.

Do you honestly believe that after years of development, ANet's server infrastructure was so crappy that it couldn't support enough sales for the game to be considered a success?

Not in the business world it isn't. There it's called failure to project sales. It can irreparably hurt companies and people get fired over it. Shutting down sales is not a success. Especially not for an MMO themepark, where they need to sell as many copies at launch before the drop-off hits them. It will be no different with GW2 and it's already showing. Only difference is they did not grab as many sales as they possibly could, which I guarantee you months from now we'll be looking back and listing that as a reason why GW2 didn't do as well as everyone expected.

Actually, in business (where I operate) it's not like that at all.   Different types of products have kinds of life-cycles.   Your assumption to sales is false.   It's not a box/sub model.   The best example for GW2 is GW1.

GW1 has sold 7+ million copies at this point in time.    It sold between 300K and 500K NEW ACCOUNTS a QUARTER until the announced they'd stopped development in 2008.  At that point in time it had sold 5.8 million NEW ACCOUNTs.   Since then it's still sold (2009 -- 2012)  over 300K NEW ACCOUNTS per year.

Those are FACTS.  That's how we DO business.   Facts, more facts and check the facts.   Because in BUSINESS talking out your butt leads to being sued or bankruptcy.    And neither is fun.

That was what I orginally thought as well, until a fanboi corrected me and explained that ANET has stated they were not going for the GW1 model, and instead would focus less on expansions and more on free content and microtransactions. The Box + Microtransaction model is really not that much different than the Box + Sub model.

Of course, the fanboi could've been trolling me, or ANET might change their mind and release expansions to cash in every 6 months. Either way failure to forecast sales is a failure in business any way you look at it.

Don't you think it's just a little ironic that you are extremely quick to label anyone who seems to ever say anything positive about GW2 a fanboi, and yet if anyone dares to say that you think GW2 will fail you get all uppity about it?

Not really, go back through my post history and you will see posts from ME saying that GW2 is very well crafted game and probably the best themepark in the market right now. I've never said it was a failure, it's you who keeps saying that.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

Intermission.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Back to the OPs question.

Atm it looks like a no. Being that Anet was keen to let everyone know about the 400k concurrent players at launch I am sure that if they broke a record they would have let it be known.

End Intermission>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Now back to the bickering

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I'm still laughing at the post that read "Gw2 has sold out"

From their own mouth they said they halted online sales. Perhaps all the server problems had something to do with it. But no where did I see them say they "sold out." My local game shop has a bunch of copies on their shelves if anyone is interested.

That being said, I am enjoying the game quite a bit. It's a shame so many fanboys hyped the product to be something it's not.

In my opinion, I think sales will grow as word of mouth spreads. I honestly don't understand why the fanboys troll the haters, and vice versa. Find a game you enjoy and stick with it, live, love & be happy. Cheers all!

• khamul787khamul787 Member UncommonPosts: 193

That was what I orginally thought as well, until a fanboi corrected me and explained that ANET has stated they were not going for the GW1 model, and instead would focus less on expansions and more on free content and microtransactions. The Box + Microtransaction model is really not that much different than the Box + Sub model considering they both depend on an active population to be sustainable.

I actually considered responding to several of your posts in this thread, but frankly, after calling anyone who says anything positive about GW2 whatsoever a " fanboy," you really just aren't worth responding to.  Being aware that GW2 has so far been extremely successful does not make someone a fanboy. Disagreeing with someone does not make them a fanboy. Get your head out of your ass and be a bit more respectful. People who act like you (and their opposites) are what is wrong with gaming forums. I'd like to be able to post without being degraded into a "fanboy" just because I like a bloody game.

Edit: apologize, this was meant in reply to Tibernicus, not you. My mistake.

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Apraxis

DAoC didn't level off within months of launch. Neither did UO, or EQ, or AC, or SB, or Eve, or Darkfall, none of them. They all grew over time and peaked about 3 years later.

Lol... all before MMOs got mainstream, wrong all with a starting population below 200k. wrong Seriously. No MMO after mainstream, beta hoppers and all the other sideeffects of mainstream hit the mmo market didnt level off at first after release.. and a few, the good one build than slowly up again.

Has it occured to you that it may have nothing to do with MMOs being mainstream, but about how MMOs are designed now vs how they were designed before? They're not designed for player retention anymore. There has been no post WoW success because there's been no post WoW. Every AAA MMORPG since WoW has been a WoW clone, except Vanguard, and now GW2.

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433

MMORPG.com forum sentiment - GW2 has failed, OMG the false prophet!

Truth is, I don't know exactly how many they sold.  But the fact that they had to STOP sales means they obviously sold more than they expected.  I would hardly call that a failure ;).

There's a difference between "more than expected" and "more than they can handle". GW2 did the latter, not the former.

Darkfall too had to halt sales in its launch week. Doesn't mean it sold a ton.

hell lets open 15 new servers then, throw them all in the WvW rotation, and make it so there is just way to many servers than what we really need (SW:TOR i'm looking at you). 

That way when the playerbase levels off (which it will, no game has 100% retention), some of our "new" servers that all these haters wanted, are left with half empty populations. 

Instead, lets take some of the money we got from all these purchases, and put it towards server integrity? Maybe increase the server capacity so the servers that ARE live can hold more? Then we can add more of these updated servers in due time IF we still need to?

Nah lets throw common sense out the window, HEY JOHNNY, FUCK IT JUST OPEN EM ALL UP!! THE HATERS REALLY WANT THEM!!! JUST PUSH THE BIG GREEN BUTTON!.

Wow, you GW2 fanboys are totally delusional. I didn't say anything to attack your precious messiah. Take a class in reading comprehension and then reread what I wrote before you call me a "hater".

Also, btdubs, all the best MMOs grew larger over time, they didn't "level off" after launch.

Wasn't basing it off your post entirely, but look at the lot of this thread.

Again, I know it came off at YOUR post, but it was intended at the thread, this became a "log into your alt accounts and throw something harsh out". 

And only game I can think of that hasn't level'd off in recent years, is WoW. GW2 will grow some, grow some, grow some, but it will eventually level off. Saying it wouldn't would be... no. Not with this MMO community.

This is true, but (IMO) it's only because the MMORPG market in general was growing a lot back then.  I fully expect a significant active player drop off in GW2 after a few months.  BUT I still think the game will retain a very large amount of active players, and I doubt that there will be any server merges in the near future...provided ANet doesn't stupidly add 30 servers :).

Darkfall came out 3 years ago and is still growing, as is Eve. The difference is how those games were designed, not the MMO market itself or the time they released in. They were designed around community in a virtual world, which kept people playing and invested. They usually had solid end game models too. People in general played longer and stayed longer. Modern MMOs aren't designed around community or dynamic player actions, they're designed around quest grinding, hence why they drop off once content is complete.

GW2 will do better than all the recent WoW clones in terms of retention. I'm not sure it'll do well in terms of long term growth though. Better than SWTOR anyway.

First off, I apologize for the rabid fanboi post, second off, comparing a game with a super niche community, to a game that was released years ago, comparing it to a game that is relaeased with todays instant gratification playerbase, is not comparing similar products. 

I played DAoC for 7 years, release it NOW, even with a new skin, and people would hate it. It's the playerbase. All recent MMOs have risen risen risen risen peaked, and dropped. So to expect anyhting more or less from GW2 is again, IMO a no no.

Release it now, and all the people that liked it then will like it now, as well as all the new MMO gamers who are looking for something new. It'd grow over time, just like the original. Just like Darkfall is now. They're all MMOs, they can all be compared. The ones that are built with community in mind grow, the ones that aren't... don't.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

lol No.

Then people in here will cry that Anet is really overhyping their product rather than just plain ole marketing like any other product on the planet. One of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenarios. So far they have done almost nothign to hype their own product other than state their visions of their product in their manifesto, answer questions at all of the events they have set up booths in as well as the interviews during the production of the game, and some small amounts of ads on websites like this one (though certainly not like games like TSW and TOR where I saw ads on websites that had nothig to do with games). Other than that it has all been fanbase and gameplay videos. To even say they have over hyped their product or even compare it to the most recent MMO's is rediculous to me.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

Not really, go back through my post history and you will see posts from ME saying that GW2 is very well crafted game and probably the best themepark in the market right now. I've never said it was a failure, it's you who keeps saying that.

That's true, he didn't.  He just said that GW2 had the same amount of marketing and hype behind it that SWTOR did ("if not more"), which is obviously wrong.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

lol No.

Why? They are already sold out.

Originally posted by Apraxis

lol No.

Why? They are already sold out.

Yeah my comment probably doesn't have any relevance to the actual sales.  I think they're in the clear, and once ANet actually does start marketing beyond Facebook, they're likely to see decent holiday sales.

Originally posted by khamul787

That was what I orginally thought as well, until a fanboi corrected me and explained that ANET has stated they were not going for the GW1 model, and instead would focus less on expansions and more on free content and microtransactions. The Box + Microtransaction model is really not that much different than the Box + Sub model considering they both depend on an active population to be sustainable.

I actually considered responding to several of your posts in this thread, but frankly, after calling anyone who says anything positive about GW2 whatsoever a "delusional fanboy," you really just aren't worth responding to. Someone correcting you on their business model is not a fanboy. Being aware that GW2 has so far been extremely successful does not make someone a fanboy. Disagreeing with someone does not make them a fanboy. Get your head out of your ass and be a bit more respectful. People who act like you (and their opposites) are what is wrong with gaming forums. I'd like to be able to post without being degraded into a "fanboy" just because I like a bloody game.

I more than welcome logical discussions, which is something people who claim halting sales due poor projection is a success aren't being. Neither are people who assume I consider the game a failure for saying this or for comparing it to other themeparks (which GW2 is). I have no words for that other than being intentionally obtuse, or delusionally defensive (i.e. rabid fanboi). Take your pick. Trust me, I don't throw around the F word indiscriminately.

They're all MMOs, they can all be compared. The ones that are built with community in mind grow, the ones that aren't... don't.

I guess that would be the reason WoW has shrunk.  They removed a lot of the community building aspects of the game for the sake of convenience and casual gameplay.  GW2 might have done similar, but I think it will still appeal to a very large group of people.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by khamul787

I actually considered responding to several of your posts in this thread, but frankly, after calling anyone who says anything positive about GW2 whatsoever a " fanboy," you really just aren't worth responding to.  Being aware that GW2 has so far been extremely successful does not make someone a fanboy. Disagreeing with someone does not make them a fanboy. Get your head out of your ass and be a bit more respectful. People who act like you (and their opposites) are what is wrong with gaming forums. I'd like to be able to post without being degraded into a "fanboy" just because I like a bloody game.

Edit: apologize, this was meant in reply to Tibernicus, not you. My mistake.

If I remember correctly the sales figures projected for GW 2 was not all that impressive, so where are you getting the realisation that the game has been "extremely succesful"? Just based on the fact that Arena Net has stopped selling copies from their site?

Also it is funny to see someone telling someone else to get their heads out of their ass and be more respectful... Maybe you should follow your own advice and not break it in the same very sentence?

That's true, he didn't.  He just said that GW2 had the same amount of marketing and hype behind it that SWTOR did ("if not more"), which is obviously wrong.

That was indeed wrong, to my defense, I did follow-up the post saying that it was based on the places I frequent. I don't watch TV, so I never saw a TV SWTOR ad. However, in all the gaming websites and forums I visit, GW2 had as much if not more hype than SWTOR.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    just face it guys. the game was (GW1) and will be (GW2) always an alt mmo for the most of the mmo genre players. with no open world pvp, no real raiding ang no real gear progression the game is a good, solid but always a second choice for non casual players
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    I don't think anyone is going to be like "yeah I was really looking forward to GW2, but waiting 1 more week because they are sold out is just too much, so I'm never going to buy it."

Don't want to get in the middle of this but actually, that's called impulse buying and according to a study done in 2011 over a six-month period, 40% of video game purchases were made on impulse.

I know I've been guilty of this.

Originally posted by grimal
    I don't think anyone is going to be like "yeah I was really looking forward to GW2, but waiting 1 more week because they are sold out is just too much, so I'm never going to buy it."

Don't want to get in the middle of this but actually, that's called impulse buying and according to a study done in 2011 over a six-month period, 40% of video game purchases were made on impulse.

Was just going to say this. Thank you for pointing it out.

A game offering a digital version or not when I'm checking it out has often times been the difference between me buying the game or not. If you don't think halting digital sales is affecting potential sales for GW2, then I have a word for you. Starts with a D.

Was just going to say this. Thank you for pointing it out.

A game offering a digital version or not when I'm checking it out has often times been the difference between me buying the game or not. If you don't think halting digital sales is affecting potential sales for GW2, then I have a word for you. Starts with a D.

Definitely right :D.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

have to laugh at all the nonsense.

"We don't really know what the sales were but it's fail none the less, believe us even tho we don't play"

"Even tho we know it's a good sign that they had to stop sales because of the sheer volume of new players all at once in order to squash bugs, it's fail and we don't want to hear the facts anymore LALALALALA"

"Even the rabid fanbois were right about it's launch and the current state of the game but we won't listen to the hype (hype that hasn't existed since the first BWE) but we'll still use the word hype just like California valley girls use the word Like"

smh

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

The people who have been waiting to play already got their copy and are playing. The people who are left are the undecided and they may or may not find something else. Educated business decision or gamble..only Anet knows.

Originally posted by papardelios
    just face it guys. the game was (GW1) and will be (GW2) always an alt mmo for the most of the mmo genre players. with no open world pvp, no real raiding ang no real gear progression the game is a good, solid but always a second choice for non casual players

I'm not sure who denied this, I never have.  The idea here though is that there are far fewer hardcore MMO players than casual ones, thus GW2 and its payment plan are very doable and by all accounts, should succeed just fine.  That's who they're aiming this game at.

Well, that and OCD completionists.