Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did GW2 break any records?

Comments

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Krytycal

what gw2 did well was manage to be competitive in sales with SWTOR such that they can be compared.  i would not have predicted such a thing would happen earlier this year and its really quite a feat considering the Star Wars IP.  it may not be the #1 best selling MMORPG of all time, but that isn't the metric that makes a game great and successful.

GW2 had as much hype and marketing behind it as SWTOR did, if not more. They were also had the B2P model going for them. You're delusional if you think they weren't shooting for SWTOR's numbers. IPs don't have nearly as much weight on the success of the game as people think. Look at all the "successful" MMOs now days, most of them are in-house IPs. Now look at the ones with strong IPs, yeah.

Wtf?

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by nytemareh

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/guild0-wars-2-thanksgiving-in-tyria/

i really don't care about the game one way or another.  simple google search for ncsoft projected sales of gw2.  some might surprised.

ncsoft never gave any GW2 projected sales

your gambreaker link references what an *analyst* said

ive seen a few people, fan and foe alike, mistake this analyst quote for ncsoft

http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/pre-order-figures-slip/

An article published today in the Korean Times has some very interesting figures regarding the pre-purchase numbers for Guild Wars 2.

I expect Guild Wars 2 to sell 3.1 million copies after commercialization in August,” Daewoo Securities analyst Kim Chang-kwean said by telephone. “Since April, the company has received 1 million pre-orders.” He compared the numbers favorably with Aion, of which NCsoft had 900,000 pre-orders when it was launched four years ago.” (Bold and italics added)

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

I went on a 10 day cruise so I missed the "big" launch of GW2. Did it live up to the hype and break all the records, smash WoW, and all the other stuff people were saying it was going to do?

I tried searching for any big news on it and found nothing other than  decent pre-launch numbers. 

Yes.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

SMASHED all previous records of miss-informed haters.

EDIT: Also, I think we've come to a new age of haters, the "youtube pro's".

All they do is watch a video and understand exactly how every aspect of the game works, it incredible. 

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by krakra70

I went on a 10 day cruise so I missed the "big" launch of GW2. Did it live up to the hype and break all the records, smash WoW, and all the other stuff people were saying it was going to do?

I tried searching for any big news on it and found nothing other than  decent pre-launch numbers. 

We are currently at the stage where we realize it's another TERA, TSW, SWTOR etc, just without a monthly fee.

This.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Creslin321

LOL...no.  It's not black and white, and if you see it that way you are part of the problem.

How about instead of joining the "hater" or "fanboi" political parties, we all just look at the game rationally and individually and give it praise or criticism as we feel it deserves.

I've come off as a "major fanboi" in this thread, but that's only because the VAST MAJORITY (not all) of the arguments against the game in this thread are just SO RIDICULOUSLY STUPID that I literally could not bear to hold my tongue.

Normally I support their views. You know me. Fairly critical of these games and pretty open to going at it with fans especially when I think they're being overzealous. Not really much to defend in this thread though.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433

MMORPG.com forum sentiment - GW2 has failed, OMG the false prophet!

Reality - GW2 sold so many copies that they had to halt sales.

Truth is, I don't know exactly how many they sold.  But the fact that they had to STOP sales means they obviously sold more than they expected.  I would hardly call that a failure ;).

There's a difference between "more than expected" and "more than they can handle". GW2 did the latter, not the former.

Darkfall too had to halt sales in its launch week. Doesn't mean it sold a ton.

• suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by Betaguy

We are currently at the stage where we realize it's another TERA, TSW, SWTOR etc, just without a monthly fee.

That sums it up perfectly.

I agree.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Truth is, I don't know exactly how many they sold.  But the fact that they had to STOP sales means they obviously sold more than they expected.  I would hardly call that a failure ;).

Yes, GW2's launch was not a failure, but it was not a success either. You put a spin on that statement as though they couldn't handle the flood of inbound players but you fialed to mention one of the major precipitating factors as to why. They had far too many problems with thier launch and couldn't handle it because they didn't have the manpower to support it while dealing with the launch issues.

Originally posted by Tibernicus

There's a difference between "more than expected" and "more than they can handle". GW2 did the latter, not the former.

hell lets open 15 new servers then, throw them all in the WvW rotation, and make it so there is just way to many servers than what we really need (SW:TOR i'm looking at you). 

That way when the playerbase levels off (which it will, no game has 100% retention), some of our "new" servers that all these haters wanted, are left with half empty populations. 

Instead, lets take some of the money we got from all these purchases, and put it towards server integrity? Maybe increase the server capacity so the servers that ARE live can hold more? Then we can add more of these updated servers in due time IF we still need to?

Nah lets throw common sense out the window, HEY JOHNNY, FUCK IT JUST OPEN EM ALL UP!! THE HATERS REALLY WANT THEM!!! JUST PUSH THE BIG GREEN BUTTON!.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358
    Originally posted by Wolvards

hell lets open 15 new servers then, throw them all in the WvW rotation, and make it so there is just way to many servers than what we really need (SW:TOR i'm looking at you). 

That way when the playerbase levels off (which it will, no game has 100% retention), some of our "new" servers that all these haters wanted, are left with half empty populations. 

Instead, lets take some of the money we got from all these purchases, and put it towards server integrity? Maybe increase the server capacity so the servers that ARE live can hold more? Then we can add more of these updated servers in due time IF we still need to?

Nah lets throw common sense out the window, HEY JOHNNY, FUCK IT JUST OPEN EM ALL UP!! THE HATERS REALLY WANT THEM!!! JUST PUSH THE BIG GREEN BUTTON!.

Better yet let's just take everything to extremes. 

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

LOL...no.  It's not black and white, and if you see it that way you are part of the problem.

How about instead of joining the "hater" or "fanboi" political parties, we all just look at the game rationally and individually and give it praise or criticism as we feel it deserves.

I've come off as a "major fanboi" in this thread, but that's only because the VAST MAJORITY (not all) of the arguments against the game in this thread are just SO RIDICULOUSLY STUPID that I literally could not bear to hold my tongue.

Normally I support their views. You know me. Fairly critical of these games and pretty open to going at it with fans especially when I think they're being overzealous. Not really much to defend in this thread though.

Yeah totally, I know you're critical, and I often disagree with your criticisms.  But they never fall into the "OMFG HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY BELIEVE THAT" category lol :).

IMO, rational criticism is a great thing.  It drives game devs to make better, and drives the community to expect more.  But irrational hate driven criticism doesn't contribute to anything except for my entertainment lol :).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Darkfall is valid comparison but still doesnt negate other games like D3 having server issues because of both reasons

ANET will eventually announce launch day sales - until then, can only speculate

• MMObroMMObro Member UncommonPosts: 97

...yes It broke my own record of having been the one game( among many) that I have played that makes me NOT want to return to WOW.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by lickm3

I agree.

Do not include me in your "WE".... i disagree.

Game is SOLD OUT.

Nuff said.

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by Connmacart
    Originally posted by oubers
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    This whole thread is a broken record.

This quote is pure win :) lolz

Well this thread is certainly breaking records with the amount of different haters ganging up on the game.

Without haters we'd live in a world where delusional fanbois will have you believe that stopping product sales and poor projections are indicators of success.

One crazy world indeed.

god I love reading stuff like this lol. May want to try a different approach, I'm not sure anyone is going to buy into the "GW2 failed because it sold more than predicted" spill lol. Maybe it failed because it got better reviews than expected as well? 

This is what's wrong with the rabid GW2 fanbois. They love putting words in people's mouths to prop up their arguments. Go through my search history and tell when have I said that GW2 failed. Hint: never. 

Just because something is not a success (which anyone who's familiar with businesses will tell you stopping product sales due to innacurate forecasts is not a success), doesn't mean the game failed. I'm sorry for calling out the fanbois who claimed the game is a success based on indicators like stopping sales which don't mean squat.

Selling 5 glasses of lemonade on a hot summer day and being forced to close shop because you ran out is never a good thing in the business world. So what if you exceeded your expectations? Maybe they were shit to beging with. Either way someone didn't do the proper research and you lost money for not having all the lemonade you could sell.

Originally posted by Zzad

I agree.

Game is SOLD OUT.

Nuff said.

Are you folks delusional? Being "sold out" means absolutely nothing.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I agree.

Game is SOLD OUT.

Nuff said.

GW2 did NOT sell out.

ANET discontinued selling direct do they could focus on fixing the miriad of launch issues. One of the guys I know couldn't get GW2 from ANET, so he went and bought the digital DL from Amazon.

ANET not selling direct does not mean sellout. 

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970
    Broke my record of the most I've played an MMO in a single week....does that count?

Wow, you GW2 fanboys are totally delusional. I didn't say anything to attack your precious messiah. Take a class in reading comprehension and then reread what I wrote before you call me a "hater".

Also, btdubs, all the best MMOs grew larger over time, they didn't "level off" after launch.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Is that the glass is half full?  The auction house obviously they missed the estimate on the load.  Blame the devs for that.  Conservative number of servers at release:  No blame, really a smart move imo.  They halted likely for this reason.  Better to have too few than too many.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by Connmacart
    Originally posted by oubers
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    This whole thread is a broken record.

This quote is pure win :) lolz

Well this thread is certainly breaking records with the amount of different haters ganging up on the game.

Without haters we'd live in a world where delusional fanbois will have you believe that stopping product sales and poor projections are indicators of success.

One crazy world indeed.

god I love reading stuff like this lol. May want to try a different approach, I'm not sure anyone is going to buy into the "GW2 failed because it sold more than predicted" spill lol. Maybe it failed because it got better reviews than expected as well? 

This is what's wrong with the rabid GW2 fanbois. They love putting words in people's mouths to prop up their arguments. Go through my search history and tell when have I said that GW2 failed. Hint: never. 

Just because something is not a success (which anyone who's familiar with businesses will tell you stopping product sales due to innacurate forecasts is not a success), doesn't mean the game failed. I'm sorry for calling out the fanbois who claimed the game is a success based on indicators like stopping sales which don't mean squat.

Selling 5 glasses of lemonade on a hot summer day and being forced to close shop because you ran out is never a good thing in the business world. So what if you exceeded your expectations? Maybe they were shit to beging with. Either way someone didn't do the proper research and you lost money for not having all the lemonade you could sell.

No, you never flat out said that GW2 failed.

But you have strongly implied that it is going to fail, repeatedly.  Multiple times you have stated that it will be "just like" all the other fantasy themeparks (in exception of WoW)...which are basically all considered failures.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I agree.

Game is SOLD OUT.

Nuff said.

Are you folks delusional? Being "sold out" means absolutely nothing.

Desilusional? Why?

I´m having the time of my life playing GW2.

And beeing Sold Out it does means something.... it is a BIG selling suscess.

Originally posted by waynejr2

Is that the glass is half full?  The auction house obviously they missed the estimate on the load.  Blame the devs for that.  Conservative number of servers at release:  No blame, really a smart move imo.  They halted likely for this reason.  Better to have too few than too many.

Auction house has been up for me for a few days now...not sure if it's up for everyone.

I dunno, I am used to getting stuck in a .5-3 hour queue whenever I try to log into a mongo-popular MMORPG during launch week.  So I guess that being able to log in at any time makes the AH being down for a week not seem like such a big deal to me ;).

I'm not saying that there aren't launch issues, there ARE...and I have had a lot of annoying lag.  But I really don't think they are that big of a deal.  I don't think there has been a single extremely popular MMORPG that did not have launch issues.

Originally posted by caetftl

Better yet let's just take everything to extremes. 

Sorry, just thought someone has to get a point accross. If GW2 opened up new servers, i'm sure that with due time, people would be saying waht a mistake it was (SW:TOR ring a bell?). 

I guess any time a company says, "hey, look we're selling to much, we're holding back our 1st party sales" means that the game is failing and crashing right?

O wait no, that's just the opinion generated from the people who haven't played it, that always seem to post on GW2.

That's right i'm sorry, they can know everything just from reading forums.