Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did GW2 break any records?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer
    Originally posted by Creslin321

MMORPG.com forum sentiment - GW2 has failed, OMG the false prophet!

Reality - GW2 sold so many copies that they had to halt sales.

Truth is, I don't know exactly how many they sold.  But the fact that they had to STOP sales means they obviously sold more than they expected.  I would hardly call that a failure ;).

Right. And TOR hadding more servers lft and right because BW didn't expect it also meant it wasn't a failure.

TOR is considered a failure because...

1.  It was a HUGE investment and required fairly massive revenue to turn a profit.

2.  EA had to lay off many of the TOR devs due to lack of said revenue.

3.  TOR lost so many subs that EA decided to make it F2P in less than a year.

Once ANet starts laying everyone off, you can call me ;).

Honestly, I don't know why you guys are so hopeful that GW2 will fail.  And the funny thing is that I'm sure you think I'm arguing with you because I'm a "fanboi."  But the reality is that I'm arguing with you because your arguments are dumb, and I really just can't stand to let them go unchallenged.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

what gw2 did well was manage to be competitive in sales with SWTOR such that they can be compared.  i would not have predicted such a thing would happen earlier this year and its really quite a feat considering the Star Wars IP.  it may not be the #1 best selling MMORPG of all time, but that isn't the metric that makes a game great and successful.

GW2 had as much hype and marketing behind it as SWTOR did, if not more. They were also had the B2P model going for them. You're delusional if you think they weren't shooting for SWTOR's numbers. IPs don't have nearly as much weight on the success of the game as people think. Look at all the "successful" MMOs now days, most of them are in-house IPs. Now look at the ones with strong IPs, yeah.

• DomotoDomoto Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Originally posted by krakra70
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

I went on a 10 day cruise so I missed the "big" launch of GW2. Did it live up to the hype and break all the records, smash WoW, and all the other stuff people were saying it was going to do?

I tried searching for any big news on it and found nothing other than  decent pre-launch numbers. 

We are currently at the stage where we realize it's another TERA, TSW, SWTOR etc, just without a monthly fee.

Ah ho ho, look out for this guy!

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143
    Originally posted by krakra70
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

I went on a 10 day cruise so I missed the "big" launch of GW2. Did it live up to the hype and break all the records, smash WoW, and all the other stuff people were saying it was going to do?

I tried searching for any big news on it and found nothing other than  decent pre-launch numbers. 

We are currently at the stage where we realize it's another TERA, TSW, SWTOR etc, just without a monthly fee.

you mean realise its a GAME ?

Originally posted by Krytycal

what gw2 did well was manage to be competitive in sales with SWTOR such that they can be compared.  i would not have predicted such a thing would happen earlier this year and its really quite a feat considering the Star Wars IP.  it may not be the #1 best selling MMORPG of all time, but that isn't the metric that makes a game great and successful.

GW2 had as much hype and marketing behind it as SWTOR did, if not more. They were also had the B2P model going for them. You're delusional if you think they weren't shooting for SWTOR's numbers. IPs don't have nearly as much weight on the success of the game as people think. Look at all the "successful" MMOs now days, most of them are in-house IPs. Now look at the ones with strong IPs, yeah.

You know, one thing to consider is this...

We don't know how many copies GW2 sold, no one does except for NCSoft/ANet.  But we DO know that headstart weekend had more concurrent users logged on than SWTOR did in its headstar, about 15% more. (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-31-guild-wars-2-interview-the-boss-obrien-on-launch-growing-pains-reviews-and-patches)

Does this mean that GW2 out-sold SWTOR on launch weekend?  Nope, not necessarily, but it does mean that there is good reason to believe that it might have.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

GW2 had as much hype and marketing behind it as SWTOR did, if not more.

lol No.

• SmokewoodSmokewood Member UncommonPosts: 10

GW2 is the best themepark mmorpg that I've ever played. It's better than WoW, EQ2, Rift, TERA, and SWTOR combined.

The questing is great, the crafting is cool, the pvp is awesome...  what's not to like?

Originally posted by hikaru77

Truth is, I don't know exactly how many they sold.  But the fact that they had to STOP sales means they obviously sold more than they expected.  I would hardly call that a failure ;).

No, They STOP sales because the game was broken, and dont forget that is a B2P game, and like i said, NCsoft was talking about 3-5 MIll of copies at launch, is not even close. Still nobady is saying that is a fail, just that it was an overhype game, didnt break any record and it wont. 

My recommendation...just try the game.  Just try it.  And don't try it wanting to hate it.  Give it an honest try.

You may actually like it.  It's a good game.  There is no reason to miss it due to some blind hatred that you are holding onto.

Originally posted by Eir_S

lol No.

Yeah really, 90% of the hype and marketing for GW2 was word of mouth by fans.  SWTOR had tons of OMFG AWOE-SOME mega-expensive CG trailers.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

Right. And TOR hadding more servers lft and right because BW didn't expect it also meant it wasn't a failure.

TOR is considered a failure because...

1.  It was a HUGE investment and required fairly massive revenue to turn a profit.

2.  EA had to lay off many of the TOR devs due to lack of said revenue.

3.  TOR lost so many subs that EA decided to make it F2P in less than a year.

Once ANet starts laying everyone off, you can call me ;).

Honestly, I don't know why you guys are so hopeful that GW2 will fail.  And the funny thing is that I'm sure you think I'm arguing with you because I'm a "fanboi."  But the reality is that I'm arguing with you because your arguments are dumb, and I really just can't stand to let them go unchallenged.

So what? That's about on-going reveneu.

You're saying that because the game had to stop slaes and add more servers means that it can't be a failure. Flawed logic. Like i said, if TOR was putting so many servers, why didn't that mean so much in the future. It still didn't reach EA's expectations.

Another exampke: TSW. The game had 7 dimensions, each large in some way. The game need atleast 500k players. They added 2 new dimenions because the game ended up growing more than their initial projtections. YET, the game sold 200k copies.

Stoping sales to add more doesn't mean the game reached the desired profit. While more players may ahve come than first believed, we need NCsoft's financial report to see if teh game is indeed a sucess.

I'm not hopeful GW2 will fail. Just correcting bad posts like this when people think the game is already a sucess with the +million sales when noone as access to even the develpement costs.

EDIT: Really sorry for teh bad gramar. Fast writing. image

You realize that doesn't prove anything, right?  All it shows is that they weren't prepared to accomadate the sales they did get, which if anything, is a failure on their part and will hurt them long-term.

When you sell more than you thought you would...that's called being successful.  No, it doesn't prove that the game is "TEH WoW KILLAH!" or anything like that, but it proves that the game is doing well.

Do you honestly believe that after years of development, ANet's server infrastructure was so crappy that it couldn't support enough sales for the game to be considered a success?

Not in the business world it isn't. There it's called failure to project sales. It can irreparably hurt companies and people get fired over it. Shutting down sales is not a success. Especially not for an MMO themepark, where they need to sell as many copies at launch before the drop-off hits them. It will be no different with GW2 and it's already showing. Only difference is they did not grab as many sales as they possibly could, which I guarantee you months from now we'll be looking back and listing that as a reason why GW2 didn't do as well as everyone expected.

LOL you seem very sure of yourself ;).  Do you really think that all the positive word of mouth and good reviews that GW2 is getting are just going to have to effect because the game is sold out for a few weeks?  Do you really think that all the people who get turned on by GW2 will decide not to buy it because ANet underestimated its popularity?

Keep dreaming, friend.

You're the one dreaming, friend. I dare you to go look into the SWTOR/Rift forum or any other MMO that had big sales in the last few years. The boards are exactly the same as GW2 is now for the first month. A lot of people loving it, the journey was great, blah blah, a couple of bored people here and there, but nothing too drastic, not for the first few weeks. The wake-up call  comes month down the road when people realize they've been there and done that. If you think GW2's zergy WvWvW PvP, sPvP and rehashed DEs will save them from the same fate, you are the one who's delusional, my friend. I guarantee you GW2 will not grow past the initial release rush because it doesn't do anything different enough to bring players outside the stale MMORPG playerbase. I'd be willing to put money on that.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by hikaru77

No, They STOP sales because the game was broken, and dont forget that is a B2P game, and like i said, NCsoft was talking about 3-5 MIll of copies at launch, is not even close. Still nobady is saying that is a fail, just that it was an overhype game, didnt break any record and it wont. 

They never said that.

Where do some of you even come up with this stuff?

Oh...and nicely played OP.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ClobClob Member Posts: 130

They specifically stated that they have temporarily suspended first party digital sales only.  They let everyone know that other standard avenues for purchase are still available; retail box sales and digital sales through retail partners.  For those that still want to play it's as easy as checking the local Walmart, Target, etc.  They haven't completely cut off access.

I don't always know the agendas of people to just make stuff up to make topics on games sound bad.  What we KNOW is that the sales numbers have exceeded expectations.  There were over one million pre-purchase only sales, preorder and first day sales seeminly added a ton, and then there's a week and a half of sales on top of that.  We'll have to wait a bit for some sale number announcements, but it's fairly easy to see that it's popular.  Ingame there are players everywhere.  Everytime I think I'm all alone in a really remote area I'll run into a heart quest area and within a minute there are several other people coming out of nowhere helping to complete it.

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219

this is simply a wrong and untrue statement. thy had to halt DIGITAL sales because they fucked up BIGTIME on their launch. and that is not because of too many ppl..please..there were way way bigger launches that went smooth because there were enough STABLE servers.

no they fucked up because they hyped the game into oblivion and did not provide enough STABLE servers.

ppl slowly start to realize that  gw2 is in fact as far away from being the NEXT BIG THING. same for sales..

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

lol No.

Yeah really, 90% of the hype and marketing for GW2 was word of mouth by fans.  SWTOR had tons of OMFG AWOE-SOME mega-expensive CG trailers.

It wasn't just the trailers, it was the popularity behind Bioware and the marketing by EA, and the partnership with Lucasarts.  There hasn't been a game that hyped and marketed in years.  It had tons of expectations behind it based almost solely on the histories of the companies involved.  GW2, in comparison, had people frothing on forums.

Krytycal and hikaru77 need to get their facts straight in this thread, it's almost unbelievable the bs they're spewing.

You realize that doesn't prove anything, right?  All it shows is that they weren't prepared to accomadate the sales they did get, which if anything, is a failure on their part and will hurt them long-term.

When you sell more than you thought you would...that's called being successful.  No, it doesn't prove that the game is "TEH WoW KILLAH!" or anything like that, but it proves that the game is doing well.

Do you honestly believe that after years of development, ANet's server infrastructure was so crappy that it couldn't support enough sales for the game to be considered a success?

Not in the business world it isn't. There it's called failure to project sales. It can irreparably hurt companies and people get fired over it. Shutting down sales is not a success. Especially not for an MMO themepark, where they need to sell as many copies at launch before the drop-off hits them. It will be no different with GW2 and it's already showing. Only difference is they did not grab as many sales as they possibly could, which I guarantee you months from now we'll be looking back and listing that as a reason why GW2 didn't do as well as everyone expected.

LOL you seem very sure of yourself ;).  Do you really think that all the positive word of mouth and good reviews that GW2 is getting are just going to have to effect because the game is sold out for a few weeks?  Do you really think that all the people who get turned on by GW2 will decide not to buy it because ANet underestimated its popularity?

Keep dreaming, friend.

You're the one dreaming, friend. I dare you to go look into the SWTOR/Rift forum or any other MMO that had big sales in the last few years. The boards are exactly the same as GW2 is now for the first month. A lot of people loving it, the journey was great, blah blah, a couple of bored people here and there, but nothing too drastic, not for the first few weeks. The wake-up call  comes month down the road when people realize they've been there and done that. If you think GW2's zergy WvWvW PvP, sPvP and rehashed DEs will save them from the same fate, you are the one who's delusional, my friend. I guarantee you GW2 will not grow past the initial release rush because it doesn't do anything different enough to bring players outside the stale MMORPG playerbase. I'd be willing to put money on that.

How much, and do you have Paypal lol ;).

But honestly, I agree that GW2's "active players" will die down after the release rush.  This is just common sense...even if you adore the game, you can't afford to play it obsessively for a year straight, and you will eventually burn through the content.

This is not new though...IMO, what keeps people coming back are greate experiences.  Like, if I play GW2 for 2 months, have an awesome experience, and then take a break...I am way more likely to buy an expansion than if I left the game in disgust.

As it stands now, I will DEFINITELY buy a GW2 expansion, and I think that a very large percentage of the GW2 playerbase will as well.  It's just a very well made game, and more of it seems like a wonderful prospect to me.

Also, I think that the B2P model ameliorates the necessity to keep people actively playing your game...I already spent $35 on the cash shop and it hasn't been out for a month.  So I think that a lot of players will wind up spending their money "up front" in bursts rather than having it slowly but reliability trickle in like it would with the sub model.

go ahead and label it f'd up big time all you want.  Outside of overloaded Trade and WvW the game has run really well for a majority.  After only a week they've made strides in fixing the issues.  It's played smooth as silk for me and those that I've spoken with. 

lol No.

It wasn't just the trailers, it was the popularity behind Bioware and the marketing by EA, and the partnership with Lucasarts.  There hasn't been a game that hyped and marketed in years.  It had tons of expectations behind it based almost solely on the histories of the companies involved.  GW2, in comparison, had people frothing on forums.

Krytycal and hikaru77 need to get their facts straight in this thread, it's almost unbelievable the bs they're spewing.

Just because you don't want to believe it doesn't make it BS. GW2 had as much hype and marketing as SWTOR in the places I frequent. Which are probably the places that count when it comes to MMORPG sales. You're not going to get a CoD junkie playing SWTOR after watching an ad on PS3, doesn't work that way. I guarantee the majority of MMORPG players were aware of GW2 because it was hyped and advertised in the circles they frequent just as much as SWTOR was. If you don't find that believable then you're being intentionally obtuse.

I wasn't a particular fan of either IP and I was personally more hyped for GW2 than I ever was for SWTOR.

• sleepr27sleepr27 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Originally posted by TheHavok

Well - unlike SWTOR, the game is actually good.  I think once marketing kicks in, the game will have an increase in active playerbase.  My assumption being that people tend to flock to and stick with good games (like WoW and EvE).

At least  SWTOR didn't get me bored after one week.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Wow

There is more bs flying around in this thread than at a DNC or RNC rally

Impressive to say the least

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by kertin

Ouch, Creslin321 -  The greatest fanboy of GW2 is back to defend this average MMO. He should be mentioned at Hall of fame and credits. This is what I call "Blindness"!

At least Creslin321 can be happy that moderators of portal are GW fans too and they ll ban me again ^^

I may put this in my sig lol :)

Keep dreaming, friend.

How much, and do you have Paypal lol ;).

But honestly, I agree that GW2's "active players" will die down after the release rush.  This is just common sense...even if you adore the game, you can't afford to play it obsessively for a year straight, and you will eventually burn through the content.

This is not new though...IMO, what keeps people coming back are greate experiences.  Like, if I play GW2 for 2 months, have an awesome experience, and then take a break...I am way more likely to buy an expansion than if I left the game in disgust.

As it stands now, I will DEFINITELY buy a GW2 expansion, and I think that a very large percentage of the GW2 playerbase will as well.  It's just a very well made game, and more of it seems like a wonderful prospect to me.

Also, I think that the B2P model ameliorates the necessity to keep people actively playing your game...I already spent $35 on the cash shop and it hasn't been out for a month.  So I think that a lot of players will wind up spending their money "up front" in bursts rather than having it slowly but reliability trickle in like it would with the sub model.

So do I, with enough funds from selling stuff in Diablo RMAH to match any wager you'd like to do.

Additionally, I remember reading from one of the rabid fanbois that GW2 devs said they were not going for GW1's cash-in-with-an-expansion-every-x-months model, and instead where going to add free content and  bank on microtransactions. No quotes on that, but if that's the case, then GW2 will need to maintain a substantial active playerbase to make profit from microtransactions.

We'll see down the road I guess. For the time being my money is on GW2 being no different than the latest batch of AAA themeparks.

Originally posted by Thralia
    Originally posted by Clob

They specifically stated that they have temporarily suspended first party digital sales only.  They let everyone know that other standard avenues for purchase are still available; retail box sales and digital sales through retail partners.  For those that still want to play it's as easy as checking the local Walmart, Target, etc.  They haven't completely cut off access.

I don't always know the agendas of people to just make stuff up to make topics on games sound bad.  What we KNOW is that the sales numbers have exceeded expectations.  There were over one million pre-purchase only sales, preorder and first day sales seeminly added a ton, and then there's a week and a half of sales on top of that.  We'll have to wait a bit for some sale number announcements, but it's fairly easy to see that it's popular.  Ingame there are players everywhere.  Everytime I think I'm all alone in a really remote area I'll run into a heart quest area and within a minute there are several other people coming out of nowhere helping to complete it.

exceeded expectations?

whos expectations? of the rabid gw2 fans or urs ?

please try to make some sense and atleast post a link directly from arena net which says how many copy they sold.

even 1 million is a bad joke ..considering how they hyped it.

Here ya go buddy:  http://www.gamezone.com/products/guild-wars-2/news/guild-wars-2-pre-purchases-have-exceeded-expectations for one.  There is statement from a few days ago as well that I'm looking for.  * here it is in this: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/04/arenanets-regina-buenaobra-on-guild-wars-2-reddit-and-communi/ : "Demand for Guild Wars 2 has been well beyond our expectations,"

"how they hyped it"?  They personally didn't hype their game even close to what other recent mmo's did leading up launch.  They didn't have commercials on tv constantly or ads everywhere.  There was a massive, hyped and excited fanbase for it.  I'd wager to say that a great majority of these players are enjoying it too.

* Here's a comment on why they would suspend first-party digital:

Turn off sales?

To clarify what I mean by that, we sell the game on our website and we also sell the game at retail. And we know how many boxes we’ve created, so we know how many copies can possibly sell through retail. If it gets to the point where sales are so high that it would be unwise of us to keep selling on our website because it wouldn’t leave enough slots for all the people who’ve already bought and all the people we know are going to buy, then we’d just turn off sales.

That would be a shocking thing to do, obviously — not something that you ever see in the games industry — but for me it’s an easy decision, because for me, Guild Wars 2 is a long-term project. I want players to keep having a great experience, and I know if we had to turn off sales temporarily, it’d be okay.
    Read more: http://techland.time.com/2012/08/29/guild-wars-2-producer-wed-turn-off-sales-to-preserve-the-game-experience/#ixzz25hWRYJFZ

So essentially, straight from ANet's action, the game has been selling at such a high rate that they had to temporarily stop selling first-party.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    This whole thread is a broken record.