Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trade Prices... for real?

Comments

• UrkoUrko Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Medicated03
    Isnt the whole point of the global tp to stop inflation and keep prices down ? This game was never meant for ah type market control, people who are into that will be disappointed

1c extra is a little non profit though to bother with.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Originally posted by eggy08
    Originally posted by Ariolander

This system doesn't breed competition, it breeds quick and easy sales with little to no value to the seller and everything to gain for the buyer.

Thats what happens when the buyer has market power, when there is a large imbalance of supply over demand.

That being said many buyers are stingy for gear they know they are going to quickly outlevel because of how fast level progression is in GW2.

Look at the lvl 80 gear prices, the dyes, and the high demand mats, all are healthy market sectors and due to demand for those items.

You kidding? I can get mithril for about 15 copper. I can get lvl 80 green weapons for 2 silver. That's not very expensive at all. The only things selling for high right now are the rare items that almost noone has or wants to sell. But once people start finding easy ways to make/find these items that will go down too. People control that AH with an iron fist. I doubt anything will ever make a profit on that AH for a long time.

Abyss dyd is 5 gold white dye is over 2 gold harly a good deal. All buster sword sprited swords are 80 silver+. Trust me they are already seeing what seels and jacking the prices to max for it.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by rwyan

Maybe its just a case of the economy starting its initial adjustments to the recently opened trade house... but most everything seems to be selling for just a copper more than a vendor sell price.

You'd make more coin selling the resources needed to make a finished good than the finished good itself.  I was doing decent selling finished goods prior the opening of the market... but now, if this continues, it'll kill the gratification in gathering my own resources and selling finished goods to players.

All themeparks have this problem and it will stay.  

Resources will be more expensive because resources apart of abilty to make certain thing, give player an ability to increase it's craft level and give XP points.

So apart of maybe few hardest to make goods, because player can make only 1 a week if there are limitation like that (sorry I am waiting on new PC to resume playing since on my current PC playing GW2 is not fun,  so I don't know how crafting at max crafting level look).you won't be able to make gold.

That's in all mmorpg's where being a craftsman is not demanding and significant % of players are crafters. Just look at any AH in WoW, Lotro, etc

Only few crafted items sells for profit vs. resources price.  Usually small per unit profit for combat consumeables (but they sell great, so can sell easily and fast large amount) and few items that have small supply = that are gated behind something that does not allow to craft it freely by anyone. Like in Lotro that certain crafted items need crafting symbol guild, which can be crafted 1 per week per player that grinded reputation level with crafting guild.

In themeparks money is made by 'playing the AH' - buying cheap selling high, not by producing. 

There are always few crafters that are specialized in making very big amounts of combat consumeables that also can make ok gold, but much less than by 'playing  AH' - well unless you bot.

Crafting in almost all themeparks and many sandboxes is total mess.

If you want viable economy for crafters, then crafting have to be made (by complexity, grind or requiring actions average player don't like) so only relatively small miniority will be crafter that will be able to make best items.  + get rid of AH completly + have most best items made by crafting not avabile as instance drops or token npc trade.

There is no other way. 

• UrkoUrko Member Posts: 88
    Itll probably turn out that the mats will command a higher price than an item.
  • daniel!!!daniel!!! Member Posts: 400

Maybe its just a case of the economy starting its initial adjustments to the recently opened trade house... but most everything seems to be selling for just a copper more than a vendor sell price.

You'd make more coin selling the resources needed to make a finished good than the finished good itself.  I was doing decent selling finished goods prior the opening of the market... but now, if this continues, it'll kill the gratification in gathering my own resources and selling finished goods to players.

there is a lot of idiots out there selling things for 1 or 2 copper more than the initial price when the fee to put it up is 5 copper and im like YOUR LOOSING MONEY YOU MORONS.....that is all

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

I gave up a lot of crafting, except for cooking, due to wacked out TP and hardly any cash.  I have leveled my cooking to 300 on my level 65 character, I love it.  However, the problem is that I cannot vendor any of the food I make, not one bit.  At least none of the vendors I tried will take it.  I can either destroy it (because I just don't need that much or it has unwanted stats) or sell it on the TP.  Food is basically worthless on the TP though so I make absolutely no money off of it.  At least it's fun to collect the ingredients and try to come up with crazy recipes :D 

My main issue is that the tradiing post covers every home world.  I would have preferred to be home world exclusive. 

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko
    The sheer volume of sellers in a game-wide market will keep prices bottomed-out on all but the most awesome items. See Diablo 3's market for a look to the future.

this is why copper ore and bolts of cloth are still relatively expensive? yeah i dont think so. also, practically any uncommon crafting material you get in lvl 25-35 range(thin blood, small fang, scales, etc) is going to sell for 1+ silver. theres some stuff on the market that sells well and some that dont. i can tell you for a fact its not going to be the higher lvl items that are always gonna make the best money. the market is not that simple, and if you take the time to figure out how it really works maybe you will make money off it. sorry to say this but the people who spend the most time at the market and understand it is always going to be the ones making money, just like in the real world.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220

With a global auction house and gems for gold conversions it is going to be a buyers market, this has been known for awhile.  With only one auction house there really isn't a way to drive up the price or control a corner of the market the way many people do on single server MMO auction houses.  Not to mention the player specific nodes means there is virtually no limit to the amount of crafting mats that enter the marketplace.  So yeah they will always have a very low sell rate due to the fact they are so easy to come by(also anyone of any profession can gather any mat)

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Supply and demand is the name of the game my friends.

People always supply it for exactly 1 less than the person above is selling it to get it out of their pockets and get it sold ASAP.

People will always ask for the price (sure most don't know about this option) for 1 copper higher than the other person asks for it.

So as a seller you have two options, put it out there and hope someone buys it, or sell it to meet the demanders who ask for less (aka what people actually asked in price for) and get it sold right then and there.

People can either buy it ASAP at the lowest price possible or put in their own price and hope someone sells it to them for that price later.

This system doesn't breed competition, it breeds quick and easy sales with little to no value to the seller and everything to gain for the buyer.

Why isn't there a %-based requirement for how low the steps between two prices can be? I would imagine that if a bidder were forced to bid at least 20% higher than the current highest bid, they would actually consider just  matching the old bid rather than paying to get on top of the queue. 

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878
    here guys, you want to help  clean up the market and make a profit at the same time. Buy up the low cost stuff (give them their money) and for that investment you get to jack up the price to double what the other person was selling for!  sure it may not seell right away,  but as you and others buy up others peoples inventories soon enough there will be none left leacing only the reasonable prices! and at that point you will make money! if the item costs 1 silver (say thats their price), you sell it for 2, you will make 60 copper. sure it does not seem like much but you basicly just did nothing except buy and resell it. a worthy investment when you think about  how much there is to resell atm
  • stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by cloud8521
    here guys, you want to help  clean up the market and make a profit at the same time. Buy up the low cost stuff (give them their money) and for that investment you get to jack up the price to double what the other person was selling for!  sure it may not seell right away,  but as you and others buy up others peoples inventories soon enough there will be none left leacing only the reasonable prices! and at that point you will make money! if the item costs 1 silver (say thats their price), you sell it for 2, you will make 60 copper. sure it does not seem like much but you basicly just did nothing except buy and resell it. a worthy investment when you think about  how much there is to resell atm

Only problem is with a global market and almost unlimited mats out there you can't really "buy up" everything and price set like you could in other games.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

My experience with other "theme park" economies... that yes, as a crafter, you probably wouldn't turn a decent profit selling goods made with mats bought from an auction house.  However, if you took the time to gather most mats, you could actually do fairly well.  And if you sold the mats as opposed to the finished good, the profit usually wouldn't be as good.

If the economy stays as is, there will be no reason to craft other than for the sheer joy of it.  For me, the draw of crafting has usually been being able to traverse the economy successfully.  Here, that doesn't seem to be the case here.   This is coming from someone whose spent a great deal of time "buying cheap and selling high" in FFXI.  That isn't going to happen here because most items are literally selling a copper more than vendor price (and who would sell an item lower than the vendor price, storage space isn't that bad).

Originally posted by stratasaurus

Only problem is with a global market and almost unlimited mats out there you can't really "buy up" everything and price set like you could in other games.

thats why los of people need to be doing this. ive already bought up thw whole stock of a product and resold it at a good price.  so its viable on some things

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Ya think?

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Originally posted by jpnole

Ya think?

No it's permanent. Leather will continue to be worthless. You might as well vendor the trophies and weapons rather than refining them.

Every ore will be close to worthless besides Orichalum.

As for goods. The ones that every one can make easily will be worthless. The rarer ones that take some knowledge to make, can make money until enough people find out the recipes.

Originally posted by Atlan99
    Originally posted by jpnole

Ya think?

No it's permanent. Leather will continue to be worthless. You might as well vendor the trophies and weapons rather than refining them.

Every ore will be close to worthless besides Orichalum.

As for goods. The ones that every one can make easily will be worhtless. The rarer ones that take some knowledge to make, can make money until enough people find out the recipes.

honestly thats kinda what scares me about  this kind of game.  at some point you can get everything and things will start to become worthless. this system just needs more stimulation.

hear me out about this because it may sound a bitover the top. what if weapons broke at some point, but the skin can be saved via transmutation. so buying weapons would be a nessesity. the problem being transmutation ovbiously  is kind of hard to get. and it does not make armour smithing worth it. the runes and such should have a low chance of breaking (by themselves) to stimulate that also. of course the problems are evident. i realize that my suggestion is stupid, i know it goes againt what we as gamers beleive and we all hate weapons with durrability and that break. i just dont see how the market will be profitable later on with only alts (if even) and new people buying.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Classic corner the market and jack up all prices to outrageous prices example right here. I think this is what ArenaNet was directly counter-acting with this TP design.

I wish someone would try this tactic in GW2 TP, they would find themselves pretty broke trying to turn a profit on stuff by buying up and flipping the prices. LoL.. By the time they purchased and re-listed there would be another 20k worth of that mat marked right back down at the lower end price. 

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I thought that to but I then realised that the 1 copper above NPC price is just the starting price.  You do expect it to go up from there. 

Originally posted by Opapanax

Classic corner the market and jack up all prices to outrageous prices example right here. I think this is what ArenaNet was directly counter-acting with this TP design.

I wish someone would try this tactic in GW2 TP, they would find themselves pretty broke trying to turn a profit on stuff by buying up and flipping the prices. LoL.. By the time they purchased and re-listed there would be another 20k worth of that mat marked right back down at the lower end price. 

twice sell to npc is not a outragous jackup pice. not by a long shot. the sell to NPC option is the lazy way and  is meant to give to a super low ammount of money. you selling things is to sell people for convinience, and to make more money then you would though  npc's. im not saying to buy up things and sell them double each time you will get undercut like crazy and people just wont buy your stuff.  i speaking  takeing the worthless things on the market and makeing a profit sellign tehm at what would be a reasonable price, were you will make money! recently talked to a perosn who really thought they were making more money by selling 1c over the nomral price. which is rediculous.

doubleing up the price from the sell to NPC is not unresonable, sure it sounds like it is but realisticly its jut not. maybe making it 10 times higher is (rare items can be excused)

the maximum i have sold anything for atm is only 4 silver.  regular 2 silver. i just do not see how you can see that as outragous.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

I agree that people should be more aware of the pricing they do compared to the Vendors. What I'm talking about are players attempting to corner a market. Which in the cases I've come across can be way over priced even in comparision to making a profit over the vendor.

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to make more than 1c of Vendor offering. Especially when taking into account listing fee and the tax fee of the sale. I however don't want to start running into situations where people are aiming to make 3 and 4 times the amount of a vendor sale. That's when it starts getting out of hand to me..

This is all dependent on the rarity of said item of course..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    One issue I noticed:  The yellow crafted items arent good enough while leveling.  A yellow ring will take 15 of one type of jewel...only to have the next tiers common be almost as good and the green is better.
  • KrossliteKrosslite Member Posts: 317

phew... this threads been busy. Was at 4 pages when I first read it but didn't have time to respond and I wanted to.

I have to totally agree with you the pricing people are placing on some items is a total joke.  They are just giving stuff away or charging WAY too much.

During the BWEs the trading post was well balanced and made common sense.

items level 0 - 4 were no more then 30 copper for blues

items 5-9 were from 35 to 99 copper increasing each level.

So forth and so on. This made logical sense and went with the amount of cash you has on you, which as we all know is more over time.

You should have enough money by using the TP and through all the other gaming systems to at min. make it to level 10 with enough money to get the triats book and new armor and weapons; with some copper left. Like I said at the very least, without having to leave your starter zone.

Some people make alot more. I know of very few who make less. That was due to the TP. I had to go to at least 2 starter zones to get the funds I needed to get the book alone. I crafted my armor and weapons.

Now I look at the prices on the TP.

12 copper for a level 12 item????????????????????????????

give me a break

I see this and 200 people selling it at this price. That item goes straight to my salvaging bag and becomes crafting material.

This item should be at least 1 silver. Masterworks maybe 2 silver at min.

I also don't like it when I see a level 0 and level 1 item listed for 5 silver. Who has 1 silver on their first charcter? I don't mean l alts. I mean their first character. No one. That is unfair to them to try and exploit someone for a starter weapon or armor.

All I know is that someone needs to wake up and start wanting to get some money without exploitation.

I mean look at the cost for some recipes for items crafters can make. Several to hundreds of gold just to get the recipe. No one will want to craft except for themselves at this rate. How many people will want to craft everything that is craftable? Few. Very few. (a few would be in the thousands btw before someone slams me)

A MMO is like life. It is something to cherish and enjoy upon in it journey. So why race to the end of it. In life at the end you die.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    Why is this bad?

When you get higher you don't need cash anyway

Slightly wrong here....

I'd like to buy the cultural armour set at 80 - boy oh boy do I need money for THAT

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Krosslite

phew... this threads been busy. Was at 4 pages when I first read it but didn't have time to respond and I wanted to.

I have to totally agree with you the pricing people are placing on some items is a total joke.  They are just giving stuff away or charging WAY too much.

So forth and so on. This made logical sense and went with the amount of cash you has on you, which as we all know is more over time.

You should have enough money by using the TP and through all the other gaming systems to at min. make it to level 10 with enough money to get the triats book and new armor and weapons; with some copper left. Like I said at the very least, without having to leave your starter zone.

Some people make alot more. I know of very few who make less. That was due to the TP. I had to go to at least 2 starter zones to get the funds I needed to get the book alone. I crafted my armor and weapons.

give me a break

I see this and 200 people selling it at this price. That item goes straight to my salvaging bag and becomes crafting material.

I also don't like it when I see a level 0 and level 1 item listed for 5 silver. Who has 1 silver on their first charcter? I don't mean l alts. I mean their first character. No one. That is unfair to them to try and exploit someone for a starter weapon or armor.

All I know is that someone needs to wake up and start wanting to get some money without exploitation.

I mean look at the cost for some recipes for items crafters can make. Several to hundreds of gold just to get the recipe. No one will want to craft except for themselves at this rate. How many people will want to craft everything that is craftable? Few. Very few. (a few would be in the thousands btw before someone slams me)

if you mine like 3 copper nodes you get one silver, you know that right? or kill a couple of low lvl bandits and they will drop you crafting materials that go for 50 copper each. i dont understand how this is a problem.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by gessekai332
    Originally posted by Krosslite

give me a break

if you mine like 3 copper nodes you get one silver, you know that right? or kill a couple of low lvl bandits and they will drop you crafting materials that go for 50 copper each. i dont understand how this is a problem.

Because the items crafted from said item are sold below the money invested in them. Its like this in 90% of themepark games (I say 90% because some have high grind requirements to crafting that almsot no one does it). GW2 isn't any different

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher