Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trade Prices... for real?

Comments

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Sadly since people couldn't rush to get higher level crafting supplies or gear before everyone else since it was down for so long, noone could really make a profit on anything. Only good news is that you won't spend much of anything on the stuff you need, so you don't really need any money as far as buying supplies or gear and weaps that you need, but if you want to buy other things with gold, then you're out of luck.
  • Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by DrWookie
    The market is universal? No wonder there are like hundreds of thousands of sources. Makes more sense now lol.

Yup. Its actually a great feature IMO and its part of the reason why it wasn't working all that well and how to be fixed. But  I know for a fact most people don't know that. Once it becomes common knowledge I won't be surprised if you see Exotics selling for much higher, simply as a way to thwart opposition in WvW

I can see this being the reason for people to sell an item on the Auction for the same as the vendor price more easily than I can see people doing it just to be kind to help others out.  Note, I'm not saying some people don't do that, but I think that part is probably more uncommon.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Not really sure why people are suprised by this.  It's a themepark economy, what do people expect when you can play for dropped items, and most people craft stuff for themselves.

The materials needed to craft are more valuable then the stuff that gets crafted because the crafted items are usually not the best items you can get in a themepark, and most people don't craft to make a profit.  People take crafting proffesions based on their character type.  Elementalists are usually going to end up with something like Tailoring and Artificing so that they can make items they can use, while a ranger is usually going to have leatherworking and huntsmen. 

GW2 is no different than most other themeparks.  Anet may give lots of xp to craft so that you can level at a reasonable pace while crafting, but they didn't make it so that crafting is viable as a sole proffesion any more then Blizzard did with WoW.

I find it interesting that many of the same people that are apposed to sandbox design end up taking issues with aspects of MMO's that tend to be directly related to the fact that it's built on a themepark design.

The problem isn't a delay in getting the trading post up, it's not because the trading post spans all servers, it's because crafting is't the primary source of item aquisition.  As long as items are dropped off mobs, given as reward, or aquired through token purchases, that are on par or better then what can be made by playrs, the materials to make the goods will always carry a higher value then the goods tthat get made. 

Nevermind the fact that materials are ANOTHER SOURCE OF EXPERIENCE POINTS.  Why would an item, that will be used for a limited time, ever have more value then an item that gives experience when used?  Some materials are actually harder to get then gear, and people use them to level crafting and their character. 

There is no amount of waiting for things to level out.  The entire system is slanted towards materials costing more just by the way they are aquired, and the nature of the game itself. 

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Keep in mind, that all servers are linked to the TP.  This will mean oversupply and lots of sellers.  So everyone is going to go for the lowest price, which drives the price down.
  • Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138
    I noticed that too. Its disappointing, I thought Id finally make a little bit of money, NOPE!

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Originally posted by rwyan

Maybe its just a case of the economy starting its initial adjustments to the recently opened trade house... but most everything seems to be selling for just a copper more than a vendor sell price.

You'd make more coin selling the resources needed to make a finished good than the finished good itself.  I was doing decent selling finished goods prior the opening of the market... but now, if this continues, it'll kill the gratification in gathering my own resources and selling finished goods to players.

If you look at the number of sellers, you will see why.  When I was thinking about selling some tin ore, it showed as selling for one more copper than vendoring, and it also showed that there were thousands of people selling it.  So yeah, some things have a flooded market.  Crafting materials especially because you don't have to specialize in gathering, anyone can do it.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    The prices for gear are ridiculously low right now.  For the price of one weapon from my faction, I got rare gear with my desired stats in like 7 slots, including the weapon.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Maybe its just a case of the economy starting its initial adjustments to the recently opened trade house... but most everything seems to be selling for just a copper more than a vendor sell price.

You'd make more coin selling the resources needed to make a finished good than the finished good itself.  I was doing decent selling finished goods prior the opening of the market... but now, if this continues, it'll kill the gratification in gathering my own resources and selling finished goods to players.

So, until the prices adjust you're collecting up low level mats to make bank selling them in a month along with your crafted stuff, right? Right??

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Supply and demand is the name of the game my friends.

People always supply it for exactly 1 less than the person above is selling it to get it out of their pockets and get it sold ASAP.

People will always ask for the price (sure most don't know about this option) for 1 copper higher than the other person asks for it.

So as a seller you have two options, put it out there and hope someone buys it, or sell it to meet the demanders who ask for less (aka what people actually asked in price for) and get it sold right then and there.

People can either buy it ASAP at the lowest price possible or put in their own price and hope someone sells it to them for that price later.

This system doesn't breed competition, it breeds quick and easy sales with little to no value to the seller and everything to gain for the buyer.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

If you look at the number of sellers, you will see why.  When I was thinking about selling some tin ore, it showed as selling for one more copper than vendoring, and it also showed that there were thousands of people selling it.  So yeah, some things have a flooded market.  Crafting materials especially because you don't have to specialize in gathering, anyone can do it.

Well you also have the issue of instanced nodes removing any competition for farming them , lessening the need for people to buy them because they can not harvest themselves.

Bad for the market and merchant types but good for the game since it stops a few  monopolizing the market and jacking up prices 

• itsTortitsTort Member UncommonPosts: 125

I think a lot of people don't understand that silver/copper actually mean something in this game. Yes, the prices are low; just as the rewards we see are low. It balances itself out. 

Of course common items are going to be going for a few copper over vendor pricing. The Trading Post IS cross-world, meaning hundreds of thousands of players are probably putting up the same items as you. Unless you get something super rare, like an Abyss dye, or some rare/exotic gems; you're not going to make too much coin. 

I couldn't imagine the richest player in the game (right now) having more than 100g. 

• Chilli2kChilli2k Member Posts: 14
    You know what they say when the market's down? BUY BUY BUY!
  • AriolanderAriolander Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by eggy08

This system doesn't breed competition, it breeds quick and easy sales with little to no value to the seller and everything to gain for the buyer.

Thats what happens when the buyer has market power, when there is a large imbalance of supply over demand.

That being said many buyers are stingy for gear they know they are going to quickly outlevel because of how fast level progression is in GW2.

Look at the lvl 80 gear prices, the dyes, and the high demand mats, all are healthy market sectors and due to demand for those items.

Originally posted by Ariolander
    Originally posted by eggy08

Thats what happens when the buyer has market power, when there is a large imbalance of supply over demand.

That being said many buyers are stingy for gear they know they are going to quickly outlevel because of how fast level progression is in GW2.

Look at the lvl 80 gear prices, the dyes, and the high demand mats, all are healthy market sectors and due to demand for those items.

You kidding? I can get mithril for about 15 copper. I can get lvl 80 green weapons for 2 silver. That's not very expensive at all. The only things selling for high right now are the rare items that almost noone has or wants to sell. But once people start finding easy ways to make/find these items that will go down too. People control that AH with an iron fist. I doubt anything will ever make a profit on that AH for a long time.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I bought some gems to turn into gold to pay for leveling crafting.

Then I noticed leveling is done with discovery.. Which means I have to keep a list with what I need to craft, which components I already have, etc. etc. Plus a whole lot of running between the market and crafting station. AND a LOT of inventory/bank juggling.

So I said fuck that and sold some of my more expensive stuff which was left after leveling Huntsman to 75.

I started with 14 silver because I spend 10 silver on crafting items.  After 5 minutes I made 71 silver!!!

Most I ever had was 30 Silver. I know what I'm NOT going to do, and that's crafting!

If I ever want something custom I will ask other crafters to take custom order, great way to meet new people to.

Edit.

Just made another 23 silver..

I'm level 24 by the way..

So here is a hot tip if you want money.

DON'T CRAFT. Sell your looted and farmed stuff on the TP.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    People are using the TP as a vendor, putting the items on for really cheap because they can from anywhere.
  • OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

I think the market is still fresh and hasn't quite settled yet, but I do appreicate the fair pricing I've been coming across. I do agree it seems to be more of a buyers market currently and I don't think that's a bad trend. There's been too many games that favor the seller in a huge fashion.

I'll take TSW currently as an example. Everything on the Marketplace for the most part is extreamly over priced. They want to charge crazy prices for everything. I like the way GW2 does it, it's gives an oppurtunity for Sellers and Buyers to meet up at a fair price.

As a seller if you want to be all OG with it and price stuff silvers more than what people are requesting go right ahead. Just don't expect any of your stuff to sale any time soon. As a buyer you are able to see what others think these items should cost, so you don't find yourself getting cheated out of ya earned gold just because one guy came up on a rare node location and wants to try and profit on cornering the market.

The only ones I feel that will seriously complain about this are those that like to try and horde gold and items so that they can just jack all the gold prices up from the lesser player who might not be as experienced with the TP.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

Originally posted by Opapanax

I'll take TSW currently as an example. Everything on the Marketplace for the most part is extreamly over priced. They want to charge crazy prices for everything. I like the way GW2 does it, it's gives an oppurtunity for Sellers and Buyers to meet up at a fair price.

Well TSW's problem is that they have no coin sink's atm, so everyone is sitting on a load of coins ....

But for GW2 with the cross server trading, instanced nodes etc I can't see it ever really becoming a sellers market where people can make huge profits ... unless it's a very rare item

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by Requiem1066

Well TSW's problem is that they have no coin sink's atm, so everyone is sitting on a load of coins ....

But for GW2 with the cross server trading, instanced nodes etc I can't see it ever really becoming a sellers market where people can make huge profits ... unless it's a very rare item

I agree with you on that point. There aren't many coin sinks in TSW. Maybe they can adjust that bit with more clothing items or something. I just don't see how people would say they can't make a fair amount of coin in GW2 TP. If you price fair your stuff will sale.

I've made a good amount just going through my collectibles and getting rid of any stacks of stuff I currently have no use for.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• Medicated03Medicated03 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Isnt the whole point of the global tp to stop inflation and keep prices down ? This game was never meant for ah type market control, people who are into that will be disappointed
    Originally posted by Requiem1066

I just don't see how people would say they can't make a fair amount of coin in GW2 TP. If you price fair your stuff will sale.

I think that's maybe more of the issue than anything, some people maybe like yourself are happy to make a profit while other's are not happy unless they make a HUGE profit

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    The problem is that demand for finished products is much lower than raw material. Everyone is power leveling their crafting, and there's no players wanting to buy gear that they overlevel quickly. Lv 80 gear will sell okay, though.
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    The problem is that demand for finished products is much lower than raw material. Everyone is power leveling their crafting, and there's no players wanting to buy gear that they overlevel quickly. Lv 80 gear will sell okay, though.

Good point ... Also IMO the gear drop ratio is good when you are leveling removing some of the need to purchase it 

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Tradepost is finally up for me, and I've been stock piling greens so I went to list them all and found that others had them listed as stupidly low prices. So I listed them at what I thought were good prices but would seem stupidly high compared to the ones already there. I figured if they didn;t sell I would just m- forge them.

This morning... everything had sold at my listed rates :

People had stuff listed for less than they would have gotten at the vendor I think! Crazy.

• UrkoUrko Member Posts: 88
    I know what you mean OP, im not going to bother with selling items in the Market for 1c more than an NPC merchant  will buy it for.