Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I Didn't Buy Guild Wars 2

124»

Comments

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by Requiem1066
    I understand the reason they stopped digital sales .. but it does seem a bit " off " if they have stopped them apart from the $150 one lol

The $150 one is not a digital sale, the webpage just links you to a place that you can go to buy it physically, like amazon or whatever. They don't even sell the $150 one themselves it's only available through third party sites.

Haters gonna hate.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,367

So far, the OP appears to have used the debate tricks of setting up a straw man,  moving the goalposts, bait and switch,  appeal to authority,  attacking the messenger, a priori, and more.

So, not too convincing.   But very cranky...

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    holy crap this guy is probably one of the most irritating self-entitled trolls i have seen in days. whats going on here? why are the trolls that havent even played the game yet coming out in droves?? lol

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• gunjinngunjinn Member Posts: 24
    Chill man, in couple of months this game will sell for $20.. lol
  • Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512
    Originally posted by meari
    Originally posted by yhar
    Originally posted by meari
    Ah.. now the agenda surfaces. Don't pretend you were ever trying to buy the game, you just came to bash. So, what's your usual account here?

I came here to express my frustration with a company who is either involved in artifical scarcity in order to portray inflated demand, or worse, inept on so many levels they can't even handle a launch, where demand is the greatest and the potential for sales (and lost sales) is at its peak.

I don't care how great a game is, if the company behind it shuts down sales because it never expected the amount of interest, then we know they aren't very good at paying attention to their customer base from the start.

If you think criticism for valid problems is "bashing", feel free to say whatever you need to say to minimize the points I have expressed.  While it may make you feel better as a fanboi, it won't put the lost thousands of dollars into the pockets of the developers. :)

No, you came here originally with a conspiracy theory that Anet wanted to drive sales to the collector editions. Since that got shut down, you should have admitted you were mistaken that it's some kind of greed.

Instead you went on a gish gallop and jump onto other issues and throw out ridiculous claims like being able to set up servers overnight and installing software in 2 hours.

This is common in much of humanity (unfortunately).  When someone is proven incorrect, they try to save face by attacking something else and the original ridiculous argument is conveniently forgotten.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Yep.

GW2 is selling too much too fast. :)

I remember the days when people said "1 million sign ups for a free-beta doesn't equate to 1 million pre-purchases. Many entered several sign-ups. Maybe they will sell 250K pre-purchases with luck"

Come release.

Anet: "We sold over 1 million pre-purchases".

People: "Pretty much everyone that wants to play the game pre-purchased. They won't sell that many more".

Game almost sold out.

"Anet faills! They should know that GW2 would have the biggest population of any MMORPG at launch".

Yeah, I honestly think even Arenanet was surprised as hell by their success.  Or maybe NCSoft was.  They seem to hvae gone over their emergency measures for expansion already.

The thing is, NCSoft isn't going to give them more money for infrastructure than they think they need with a safety margin.

Apparently the game kept on selling well even after the prepurchases.  I actually know more people who bought it AFTER all the betas were over, than who prepurchased it.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Meowhead

Yep.

GW2 is selling too much too fast. :)

I remember the days when people said "1 million sign ups for a free-beta doesn't equate to 1 million pre-purchases. Many entered several sign-ups. Maybe they will sell 250K pre-purchases with luck"

Come release.

Anet: "We sold over 1 million pre-purchases".

People: "Pretty much everyone that wants to play the game pre-purchased. They won't sell that many more".

Game almost sold out.

"Anet faills! They should know that GW2 would have the biggest population of any MMORPG at launch".

Yeah, I honestly think even Arenanet was surprised as hell by their success.  Or maybe NCSoft was.  They seem to hvae gone over their emergency measures for expansion already.

The thing is, NCSoft isn't going to give them more money for infrastructure than they think they need with a safety margin.

Apparently the game kept on selling well even after the prepurchases.  I actually know more people who bought it AFTER all the betas were over, than who prepurchased it.

I think they don't want to make to open too many servers too keep early zones at decent population in the future (although they could use kind of "reverse overflow" where they would merge a zone of several servers) and they are limited by the fact they need to open in trios for WvW.

I think eventually they might need to expand WvW with more maps or more capacity.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• AznmaskAznmask Member Posts: 178
    OP for god sake you they didnt sell you the games!. Because you going to rage again if the server is FULL and you can't play.. 
    Originally posted by VirgoThree

My personal opinion on the matter. I think that they are trying to avoid adding new servers unless absolutely necessary. As it has been demonstrated throughout the years, all new MMO's inevitably decline harshly after the first few months. If you over expand, then you have dead servers which result in lower morale and people leaving

After that they announce merges, which in turn cause another morale hit and people leave. Which lead into another set of merges which lead to more people leaving! I think they are just trying to mitigate this inevitable death spiral that has plagued many overly enthusiatic MMO's.

Yes, precisely.  It is giving me a lot of reassurance that Anet is resisting the temptation to just add lots more servers.  People will leave, its the nature of things..  last thing we want is empty WvWvW because of too many servers.

If anyone didn't have the confidence in this product to purchase early, then I suggest they wait a month or two to see where the population stabilises.  

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I think they don't want to make to open too many servers too keep early zones at decent population in the future (although they could use kind of "reverse overflow" where they would merge a zone of several servers) and they are limited by the fact they need to open in trios for WvW.

I think eventually they might need to expand WvW with more maps or more capacity.

Well, yeah, that's just the thing, you want to pay for and operate the very minimum of servers you can and still run acceptably, unless you're assuming you're only going to be gaining more and more players to the point you're counteracting zone spread. D:

• DemandmanDemandman Member Posts: 57
    I'm so glad I don't lead a life where I choose to be hurt by what I perceive as cheap shots or shady tactics by others. Why do people keep suffering from the misconception that being offended by trivial matters is somehow compatible with having a solid integrity?
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Nah, another recent launch showed us that having too many servers at launch day will lead to huge problems and when you start to merge 2 months after launch people will assume the game is dying and quit in masses.

And yes, NC soft probably arent interested to put up more servers than they think was needed either.

I am pretty sure they will up the WvWvW soon. Optimization will help, and it is not unlikely that they might add a map or 2 more.

Originally posted by Demandman
    I'm so glad I don't lead a life where I choose to be hurt by what I perceive as cheap shots or shady tactics by others. Why do people keep suffering from the misconception that being offended by trivial matters is somehow compatible with having a solid integrity?

Because they inflate issues.  What you call trivial, is the "end of the world" to the OP.  When people let their emotions get the better of their intelligence, they start thinking stupidly (We're all guilty of that to varying degrees).

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358

If they add a ton of servers now just to open digital sales, after the initial boom they will be stuck with a ton of ghost towns.  If they don't add servers but allow people to keep buying, their current servers lag even worse than they already have. 

They had to pick their poison, and they chose to disable sales for a while. 

Originally posted by caetftl

If they add a ton of servers now just to open digital sales, after the initial boom they will be stuck with a ton of ghost towns.  If they don't add servers but allow people to keep buying, their current servers lag even worse than they already have. 

Actually lag only started to be visible on the 27th, once the 1-day hadstart per-orders joined. Before that game play was pretty good. And after that 1-2 worse days, the game has been pretty much lag free.

In fact stuff seem to be getting better, with guild functions working properly and without delays, auction house is up, support forums are up.

Will have to check with some sPvPer how the sPvP servers are working.

But yeah, things are getting better.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358

Actually lag only started to be visible on the 27th, once the 1-day hadstart per-orders joined. Before that game play was pretty good. And after that 1-2 worse days, the game has been pretty much lag free.

In fact stuff seem to be getting better, with guild functions working properly and without delays, auction house is up, support forums are up.

Simply untrue... just because you experienced lag a certain way doesn't mean it was that way across the entire service, for me the first 2 days were the most laggy, then a lot of smooth play with a lot of random pockets of lag requiring quick downtimes or restarts.

• sargey123sargey123 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Originally posted by yhar
    Originally posted by sargey123
    you know U CAN BUY RETAIL VERSION FROM SHOP easily for 60 $ ? -___- BIG BIG *face palm*

EDIT:PS: I was watching videos and previews long long time ago,more than a year ago -__- and if u really wanted to play you could just simlpy buy it pre-purchase that I did on April 10. it was long time ago sersily ;/ ur kind of SLOW doing it now... if u really wanna play just wait for Digital version be for sale again... simple?

You obviously didn't bother to read the thread you posted in.  :)  *returns your face palm*  You need it more than me.

Oh belive me I did read it and understand that u the who didnt understand what u were even doing,no one force u buy 150$ game ,you coulds simply buy it for 60$ like everyone and 60$ for a retail game is not overpriced espially when the digital version is teh same you at least get a box and a serial ;/ the only one I see in falt in failing to buy this game is compltetly because of your own mistakes... they obviusly told they are closnig digital purchases to reduce the no of ppl buying the game and u can still and go buy retail ;) but no u wouldnt do that because UR FORCED to buy 2 COLLCTORS EDITIOSN fo 300$ because ... you dont understand even why lol? look if you fail to understand how things works,it is your own fault,read more info understand your problem and then solve it ? pretty simple *another face palm*

• andypandyrandypandyr Member UncommonPosts: 89
    OP .. Guild Wars 2 is an awesome game , have some patience and dont cut your nose to spite your face , you would be missing out. ;)
  • Byne25Byne25 Member Posts: 41

Sorry man I didnt even finish reading what you and wrote because of this line "Really? Do you honestly think people in the 21st century believe you can sell out of a digital copy? Your efforts did not net you $300 for two new players, it didn't even net you $120 as I was expecting to shell out. It netted you $0 because of your greed."

Really? Greed? If they were greedy they would continue to sell , sell , sell and over sell a product and you would not be able to get into the game and than they would price gouge you in the game market. Taking all your money and giving you nothing is more greedy than temporarily limiting the sell of the game in order to have server stability in a Free to play MMO.

• CaptainSoapCaptainSoap Member UncommonPosts: 142
    They aren't selling the collectors edition, that is only sold at retail stores. If you'd read more you'd see that it's only showing what's in it. Further more they are still selling copies of the game at stores. They cut off digital purchases while they upgrade their server infrastructure. 

Simply untrue... just because you experienced lag a certain way doesn't mean it was that way across the entire service, for me the first 2 days were the most laggy, then a lot of smooth play with a lot of random pockets of lag requiring quick downtimes or restarts.

Let me quote you:

"Simply untrue... just because you experienced lag a certain way doesn't mean it was that way across the entire service"

:)

Now I know when there was big lag spikes - everyone was having them in my world and in some overflows - 5-10 seconds freezes, and I was trying to find an overflow server with my GF without lag and sticking with it.

Other than that the gameplay has been smooth.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    This is just out of hand at this point, between the pile on of the OP and the OP attacking back. Plus, it has been pointed out that copies are available.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.