Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how much money have you spent in the Cash Shop?

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

In both your and my suggestion, the initial exchange rate is set by Arenanet, like the text says. In  both suggestions the rate will fluctuate based on supply and demand from  the players using the currency exchange, like the text says it should.

However, both our suggestions are not coherent with the statement "The gems and gold players get from the Currency Exchange are supplied by other players, not ArenaNet.". In my case, Arenanet only sets a limited initial supply of gems and gold at the start but never adds supply to it again, while in your case Arenanet provides an unlimited supply of gems and  gold although that specific supply does not affect the pricing.

Where are you getting that ArenaNet put either gold or gems in the system?

Do you have an alternative suggestion that hasn't been presented already by neither Colddog nor me and is in large parts coherent with the quote from the article?

Yes.

- Buy and sell orders don't require an immediate participant on the other side

- Global (not server based) Gem/Gold exchange create a universal market. Someone somewhere is buying or selling on either side.

This isn't rocket science.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830
    $35 to purchase 3 more character slots so that now I can play one of each class since I like them all. The only other thing I may purchases in the future is one or two more bank slots. Nothing else in the store interest me.
  • RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

In both your and my suggestion, the initial exchange rate is set by Arenanet, like the text says. In  both suggestions the rate will fluctuate based on supply and demand from  the players using the currency exchange, like the text says it should.

However, both our suggestions are not coherent with the statement "The gems and gold players get from the Currency Exchange are supplied by other players, not ArenaNet.". In my case, Arenanet only sets a limited initial supply of gems and gold at the start but never adds supply to it again, while in your case Arenanet provides an unlimited supply of gems and  gold although that specific supply does not affect the pricing.

Do you have an alternative suggestion that hasn't been presented already by neither Colddog nor me and is in large parts coherent with the quote from the article?

Yes.

- Global (not server based) Gem/Gold exchange create a universal market. Someone somewhere is buying or selling on either side.

Yep this is the simplest solution and I am with you on this, the minute someone made a transaction it kicks off the algorithm and the price starts floating, the supply is artificial the only thing that players control is the exchange rate by buying and selling.

Player A buying 100 gems doesnt mean that player B immediatly sold 100 gems on the other side, he could have sold it 2 days ago or never sold them at all, the only thing he affected was the exchange rate by selling in gems. So assuming an infinite amount of gold and no one ever selling gems in you would always be able to buy gems from them at an increasing gold price.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Yes.

Isn't your system exactly like Colddog's? In which case there is indeed an unlimited aritificial supply because if people were only buying and noone was selling, those buying gems would still get gems as long as they got enough gold to buy the gems with.

Edit: The existence of an unlimited artificial supply designed by Arenanet means that Arenanet "put" those gems in the system, which answers your initial question.

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    me and my boyfriend spend 20 euro each = 40 just for bank slots.. and we gonna spent more if we feel like we need more space and/or an extra character slot...
  • Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    I spent $35, but only used a part of it to expand my bank (damn you cooking!).  I still have some left over...will probably use it for a character slot.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Yes.

Isn't your system exactly like Colddog's? In which case there is indeed an unlimited aritificial supply because if people were only buying and noone was selling, those buying gems would still get gems as long as they got enough gold to buy the gems with.

Edit: The existence of an unlimited artificial supply designed by Arenanet means that Arenanet "put" those gems in the system, which answers your initial question.

False.

• Buy orders and sell orders are not completed transactions.
    • A person cannot buy a gem or gold that isn't on the market.
    • No gold or gems are artificially added to the market.

"there is indeed an unlimited aritificial supply"

You still haven't explained where you got that an artificial supply is being used.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Yes.

False.

• Buy orders and sell orders are not completed transactions.
    • A person cannot buy a gem or gold that isn't on the market.
    • No gold or gems are artificially added to the market.

"there is indeed an unlimited aritificial supply"

You still haven't explained where you got that an artificial supply is being used.

There is a problem with that though: has anyone ever received a message of the kind saying "there is no supply available, but you'll get some when there is"? Because that should at least have happened when the first trader tried to buy/sell gems through the gem-gold system. Actually, it should have happened to a lot of people given that normally during server starts, from my experience, people are far more eager to buy item mall currencies than to sell. 

As for the source: I am starting to believe that it was merely someone drawing a conclusion rather than an official statementt. I'll have to keep my eyes open for sources more in the future, to see it first-hand. I may not have done so for that one because it sounded so reasonable so that I didn't question it.

Edit: Best I can do currently is try to deduce which systems would in theory work with what we know currently about Guild Wars 2. 

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

None yet.  I would be willing to drop more money on it but I'd like to see a slightly different implementation with the clothing/armor graphics.  It should be account wide and there should be another tab that allows you to wear the armor without having to use some item to swap stats.  Also, there should be special inventory storage for purchased items because I don't want to clutter up my inventory space.

Of course they won't implement any of these and I probably will not purchase nearly as much as I would otherwisse.

There is a problem with that though: has anyone ever received a message of the kind saying "there is no supply available, but you'll get some when there is"? Because that should at least have happened when the first trader tried to buy/sell gems through the gem-gold system. Actually, it should have happened to a lot of people given that normally during server starts, from my experience, people are far more eager to buy item mall currencies than to sell.

No one had gold when the server started.

People who bought gems during beta had gems when the server started.

The supply on the demand side had the capacity to be filled.

People put up their sell orders for their currency.

ArenaNet set the initial price.

Gem buyers bought.

Why do you feel there would be an error message of some sort for gems but not for any other tradable item?

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984
    I spent $10.00 so far. I figure its my voluntary subscription for such a great game. Not to mention I can hold onto the gems and trade when the exchange rate is high. Really impressed with the system as they set it up.
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Originally posted by MercAngel
    Originally posted by IceAge
    Originally posted by Zezda

Not spent any real life money on it.

Bought 2 bank tabs and 2 bag slots though with some of my in game currency.

(got enough gold atm for 3000 gems)

What's your level and...where or how you manage to make such an .. important gold amount? :P

easy just play the market last gem buy i did was 17s for 100 gems that give me a total of 4200 gems i am waiting for gems to get to 40s for 100 so i can sell them giveing me 16g and 80s if i wait for say the price to drop to 17s for 100 gems and the buy them back it give me 9411 gems and if i wait unitl they sell for 40s again i can sell and have over 37g

now i have only seen it drop to 17s one time and i have yet to see it get to 40s but you see how it can work

What? I went to sell gems lastnight and they only would have given me 64S for 350 gems. How are you getting that much money?

Gem buyers bought.

Why do you feel there would be an error message of some sort for gems but not for any other tradable item?

Because of following

Q. Do I have to wait for someone to buy my gold or gems? 

A. No, you don't have to wait for someone to buy your gold or gems because you are not exchanging them with other players, you are exchanging with ArenaNet. When you press the trade button the exchange happens immediately, everytime.

from http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/359948. I.e. the trades normally happen immidietely. Given that your system is the correct one, there has to be  messages (although not necessarely error ones) whenever either the gold or gems are out of supply because you state that "A person cannot buy a gem or gold that isn't on the market.".

As for why those messages wouldn't appear for other items other than gold and gems in the gold-gem system: because the system in the trading post works differently and more like a free market as opposed to the gem-gold system. 

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

Gave ArenaNet 10$ so that I could check out some stuff on the shop and when I have an L80 character, I'll be more than happy to buy a cool skin if I find one to my liking. I think they deserve the money and for once, I do not feel that I have wasted my money. To me, this is probably one of the first game where I feel that I wasn't cheated out of my money. The promised the features are there and while some may be a bit iffy, they are being fixed and enchanced. Compared to SWTOR or any past MMOs I've bought and tried, ArenaNet delivered as promised. 

I'll probably expand my Bank and such in the short run. 

Right now, I have only but seriously good praises for GW2. That's coming from a guy that didn't like GW1 lol

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

$4,972.85

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

none

and until i see a chest key drop i won't be

should that happen i might just buy some gems to get chest keys - got LOTS of chests but no keys - of course it will also depend on what's in them

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by Raxeon
    I bought a medium armor skin for my character, however since it is one use only, I don't think I'll be buying another until 80. It looks damn nice, though. :)

you can transmute it over to another set of armor i think

Still a waste of stones, since being a low level, at any moment, a upgrade can drop, with low level model, and now would need a new (rare) Trans-Stone to change it to the armor you bought.

Rare?

Far from it, I have 42 of them in my bank right now and my highest level character is 35.

Proptip: Work on your map completion on your main and alts.

• seraphis79seraphis79 Member UncommonPosts: 312

I spent 20 bucks on gems and still haven't used them.  I bought the regular version of the game and knew I would be spending another 20 on gems instead of upgrading to another version of it. 

I will end up using it for character slots when needed.  I have been tempted to use them on bank slots, but they cost is so low that I am just going to farm the gold for it. 

Gem buyers bought.

Because of following

A. No, you don't have to wait for someone to buy your gold or gems because you are not exchanging them with other players, you are exchanging with ArenaNet. When you press the trade button the exchange happens immediately, everytime.

from http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/359948. I.e. the trades normally happen immidietely. Given that your system is the correct one, there has to be  messages (although not necessarely error ones) whenever either the gold or gems are out of supply because you state that "A person cannot buy a gem or gold that isn't on the market.".

As for why those messages wouldn't appear for other items other than gold and gems in the gold-gem system: because the system in the trading post works differently and more like a free market as opposed to the gem-gold system. 

Is it that you really don't want to acknowledge the truth? I'm not following why this is so difficult for you. What is the reason that you would take some random beta tester assumption and hold it as fact over actual explanation from the developer.

"ArenaNet will set the initial exchange rate for gems to gold when the servers first open for headstart, but after that the rate will fluctuate based on supply and demand of the players using the Currency Exchange. The gems and gold players get from the Currency Exchange are supplied by other players, not ArenaNet."

Source: http://m.nypost.com/p/blogs/gamereport/everything_you_wanted_afraid_know_4xOMW7P9b03RSigxUazMXO

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    I spent approximately 2 gold. Purchased a character slot and a dye pack. Now I'm slowly buying gems to get some more bank space.

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225
    Not a cent. I do expect to possibly buy another character slot, maybe. Depending on the stuff released, I may buy a cosemtic item though really thats rather unlikely. Maybe the upgrading to digital delux version but again thats nots a for sure thing. I'm pretty happy with what I can get for free lol.

Gem buyers bought.

Because of following

Is it that you really don't want to acknowledge the truth? I'm not following why this is so difficult for you. What is the reason that you would take some random beta tester assumption and hold it as fact over actual explanation from the developer.

"ArenaNet will set the initial exchange rate for gems to gold when the servers first open for headstart, but after that the rate will fluctuate based on supply and demand of the players using the Currency Exchange. The gems and gold players get from the Currency Exchange are supplied by other players, not ArenaNet."

Source: http://m.nypost.com/p/blogs/gamereport/everything_you_wanted_afraid_know_4xOMW7P9b03RSigxUazMXO

The truth is that the whatever system is being used likely needs to be sense and to be large parts consistent with the information provided in the article. When information is passed from a person to person, certain details may be retold in a wrong fashion or understood wrongly, so a certain information loss is not completely unthinkable. Which is why whoever sent that mail may have understood most things correctly but got a few details wrongly. A such detail could be that other than a certain amount at the start, Arenanet won't be providing any gems and gold artificially, but from a large picture (like in years) the absolute majority of the exchanged currency is supplied by players.

Your suggested system may be correct, but it still has a few questions marks which needs to be sorted out before I fully accept it as a possibility. An important such is related to the very start when one supply (either gold or gems) runs out temporarily and the messages people get and what they see when they try to buy that product. 

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

Not one penny, I will in the future though but it wont be much unless they expand the shop. They need more costumes, which will come once they add another clothing tab, perferably one that allows you to where a costume while in combat...I want vanity items!

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970
    $40 so far. Bought three character slots (wound up with 5 some how) and some extra bank space because I am a packrat that cant seem to sell anything. 
  • fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I purchased $40 of gems during the beta events where we were allowed to do so with them carrying over for launch. I purchased another $10 after launch. I wasn't wild about the Digital Deluxe Edition offerings and I've learned to pass on expensive, boxed CEs, so I decided to buy $50 of gems and "make my own CE".

I've upgraded my bank five times. I bought a pack of Minis. I bought a stack of the 100% success salvage kits for extracting runes I need and that are expensive enough on the TP to make it worth while.

I have also bought silver with gems, to help fund some accelerated crafting. Cash flow is now improving and the cost for buying gems with silver has been dropping, so I might go back the other way if I want further account upgrades this month.

I'm planning on buying at least $10/month of gems, to support the game. If that gem cache grows big enough, I'll buy some fluff items, or additional character slots, etc...

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated