Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how much money have you spent in the Cash Shop?

Comments

• Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138
    None yet. Maybe if I get extra cash, Ill expand my character slots

• XPraetorianXXPraetorianX Member CommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by lotaparty
    Originally posted by Syno23

I've spent 20 dollars.

30% of the forum users have spent money on the gem shop

so the shop is for cosmetic items only ? or is it helping people to level up ?

Not just cosmetic at all. You can get boost to xp, karma, craft  also you can get the mystic stones all kinds of stuff.

• reef22reef22 Member UncommonPosts: 85

None.  And it's WAY too early to spend any real money anyway.  Besides, I've played GW 1 since the begining and I've never spent a cent in GW 1. (They didn't have item shop at the begining)  So I don't think i'll be spending any real money soon in GW 2 either.

Also I like how A-Net made it that you don't really have to spend real money.  If you have enough in-game currency then you could exchange them for gems then buy stuff.  So if there's something I really want then I would go farm gold then exchange it.  That would be one more thing to occupy me in game.   ;-)

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Originally posted by bluefunk
    ROFL - You guys are great, load sof you are spending more than a monthly sub, lol@you.

Its called supporting the product you care about.  Ive been subbed to CoX for over a year now and I havent played it in MONTHS.  Apparently it wasnt enough since they still got shut down.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504
    i have spent 1200 gems BUT i buy gems with in game gold :)
  • loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    i got CE, its enough .

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897

$0

I'll wait at least a month after release to decide if I want to spend cash.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    10, got 2 bag slots but i also bought one character slot 1 bag slot sun glasses and 1 chest key with gold.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    $30 bucks, expanded my bank and got some lion keys and other stuff. Dont need anything else for now. And those $30 didnt hurt, 1 hour teaching tennis on free time is fantastic to get it.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by colddog04
    None. Bought some gems with gold though. Only cost me 2 gold for 30 account wide bank slots. I'm probably going to just do that over and over again until they are all open.

How the hell you got gold already to buy gems? i am struggling to make silver ;(

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

20 euros so far.

Expect to spend more over time. I don't have the time to farm gold.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by lifeordinary
    None. Bought some gems with gold though. Only cost me 2 gold for 30 account wide bank slots. I'm probably going to just do that over and over again until they are all open.

How the hell you got gold already to buy gems? i am struggling to make silver ;(

My friends around 60 are getting a few gold a day. D:

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    I foolishly bought 800 gems for the 6th character slot. Since then I have earned enough gems with gold, to get 2 extra bank slots. Will continue to do so, whilst the gems prices are this low.

• wartyxwtwartyxwt Member Posts: 172
    £42 so about 50$? Bought bank spaces, maxed out bags. Bought some keys, don't see the point in buying any of the boosts because it's pretty much a garantee from a chest, have a bank full of each type ready to use at will. Didn't buy any character slots because even after 7 years of WoW I only had 1 max level character, so spaces are an if/when deal.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

You still have the problem with the first trade. The first trade needs to work, and given the current system how can you "buy" something if there is no supply of it? Your first trade will not happen in the system you suggest  since there is no supply.  Keep in mind that the trades are done with the system rather than directly to a player: if the system has no supply, and players have supply, how can the first trade happen?

I'm trying to figure out what you're missing. I think it's this:

The market can have 0 gems on it and people will still be able to trade gold for gems. The price is BASED on supply and demand. If there is no supply or demand, the system does not stop working. People with gems can still get gold and people with gold can still get gems.

From there, you can hopefully see that they are able to fix a starting price and let the algorithm go. 

Yes, but from where do they get the gold and gems? From the system, right? Which is equivalent with the system having a supply of gold and gems.

No. Not from the system....... ok, how else can I explain this...

They are recieving data about how many people are buying gems and how many people are buying gold. The price fluctuates based on this information.

The gold I spent on gems disappears. The gems they traded for gold disappear. What I get is actually the amount of gems the algorithm has decided a person gets for the amount of gold I pay. And vice versa.

Let's do a little thought experiment:

Assume the system you describe is the real one and then assume that gem-gold system just opened. Now assume  that no person puts any "buy gold" order and there are only people "buying gem" orders. Also assume that every person has infinite amount of gold. Then let the amount of potential "buying gem" orders go towards infinity: how much total gems are able to be acquired that way? 

An infinite amount.

If no one is selling gems, the price would skyrocket on gems. But since you have an infinite amount of gold, it wouldn't matter.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by Raxeon
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    I bought a medium armor skin for my character, however since it is one use only, I don't think I'll be buying another until 80. It looks damn nice, though. :)

you can transmute it over to another set of armor i think

Still a waste of stones, since being a low level, at any moment, a upgrade can drop, with low level model, and now would need a new (rare) Trans-Stone to change it to the armor you bought.

Basic trans stones do the job just fine and I wouldnt really call them rare.

• ForgefeuForgefeu Member UncommonPosts: 118

None yet, i will wait until october 1st and from there i will put 10€ in it every month like a cheap sub. first with convenient items like inventory slot or bank slot.

I really like this system more, you can show support and still get rewarded for it without having the feeling of "having to play" because you paid for it, to me its more relaxing and there is the double effect of "well now that i paid, what can i get ?"

Overall its enjoyable :)

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by MercAngel
    no real money. but i do have over 4000 geams buy low sell high it works

its' people like this who try to inflate the market for their own gains (read: greed) so i am glad Anet offers me things trough the shop.......the greed gets capped imho by Anet.....good move.

If Anet didnt sell there own gems at reasonable prices guys like ^^this^^ would just destroy the market again in yet another game.

Yeah D3 i am looking at you with your 30MILLION ingame gold items while my max lvl char has only 500K gold.....grinding a fiew more years to have a slightly better item, no thnx.

I'll buy from Anet (they made a game i love and i dont mind opening my wallet for them to reward them for it.)

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

You still have the problem with the first trade. The first trade needs to work, and given the current system how can you "buy" something if there is no supply of it? Your first trade will not happen in the system you suggest  since there is no supply.  Keep in mind that the trades are done with the system rather than directly to a player: if the system has no supply, and players have supply, how can the first trade happen?

I'm trying to figure out what you're missing. I think it's this:

The market can have 0 gems on it and people will still be able to trade gold for gems. The price is BASED on supply and demand. If there is no supply or demand, the system does not stop working. People with gems can still get gold and people with gold can still get gems.

From there, you can hopefully see that they are able to fix a starting price and let the algorithm go. 

Yes, but from where do they get the gold and gems? From the system, right? Which is equivalent with the system having a supply of gold and gems.

No. Not from the system....... ok, how else can I explain this...

They are recieving data about how many people are buying gems and how many people are buying gold. The price fluctuates based on this information.

The gold I spent on gems disappears. The gems they traded for gold disappear. What I get is actually the amount of gems the algorithm has decided a person gets for the amount of gold I pay. And vice versa.

Let's do a little thought experiment:

Assume the system you describe is the real one and then assume that gem-gold system just opened. Now assume  that no person puts any "buy gold" order and there are only people "buying gem" orders. Also assume that every person has infinite amount of gold. Then let the amount of potential "buying gem" orders go towards infinity: how much total gems are able to be acquired that way? 

An infinite amount.

If no one is selling gems, the price would skyrocket on gems. But since you have an infinite amount of gold, it wouldn't matter.

Which means that your suggestion implies that Arenanet would have an artificial unlimited supply of gems, but that the price is dictated by the supply and demand from players. Which agrees with one of my points: that Arenanet indeed introduced an artificial supply. 

The system I suggested would have a limited starting supply, but nonetheless artificial as well.

Let's revise the quote again:

William: No pay-to-win is very good to hear. And you said that the players determine the economy to a certain extent. Does that mean that there’s a player-based economy? Does that mean the gem conversion shop prices are gonna be determined by the players? Do you have an initial set price at the gem conversion shop?

Matt: I know, basically, that players can purchase gems and they can place them up for sale and the gold price will fluctuate and a different amount of players buy those gems. So that’s what I meant in terms of a player-controlled market. I don’t know the specifics of the implementation on that so I can’t really comment.

(NOTE: Full answer provided in follow-up email sent after the interview: ArenaNet will set the initial exchange rate for gems to gold when the servers first open for headstart, but after that the rate will fluctuate based on supply and demand of the players using the Currency Exchange. The gems and gold players get from the Currency Exchange are supplied by other players, not ArenaNet. As supply of gems goes up, the price will go down and vice versa. While we do not expect prices to fluctuate wildly, smart traders will be able to get good deals by watching the exchange rate closely and waiting for it to favor gems or gold, whichever they are looking to purchase.)

In both your and my suggestion, the initial exchange rate is set by Arenanet, like the text says. In  both suggestions the rate will fluctuate based on supply and demand from  the players using the currency exchange, like the text says it should.

However, both our suggestions are not coherent with the statement "The gems and gold players get from the Currency Exchange are supplied by other players, not ArenaNet.". In my case, Arenanet only sets a limited initial supply of gems and gold at the start but never adds supply to it again, while in your case Arenanet provides an unlimited supply of gems and  gold although that specific supply does not affect the pricing.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

In both your and my suggestion, the initial exchange rate is set by Arenanet, like the text says. In  both suggestions the rate will fluctuate based on supply and demand from  the players using the currency exchange, like the text says it should.

However, both our suggestions are not coherent with the statement "The gems and gold players get from the Currency Exchange are supplied by other players, not ArenaNet.". In my case, Arenanet only sets a limited initial supply of gems and gold at the start but never adds supply to it again, while in your case Arenanet provides an unlimited supply of gems and  gold although that specific supply does not affect the pricing.

Where are you getting that ArenaNet put either gold or gems in the system?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    I bought some keys. I separated a 10$ budget for the game monthly.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Where are you getting that ArenaNet put either gold or gems in the system?

Do you have an alternative suggestion that hasn't been presented already by neither Colddog nor me and is in large parts coherent with the quote from the article?

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by Loke666

None, see no reason for it since buying gems for silver currently is cheap.

I will buy all expansions for real money though, and if I am really happy with the game a month or 2 from now I will make a purchase to support the game but right now my $60 is enough. 

Where do you think the Gems come from?  Other players selling their gems to be purchased by other playing spending gold.

Originally posted by WolfClaws
    Originally posted by Loke666

None, see no reason for it since buying gems for silver currently is cheap.

I will buy all expansions for real money though, and if I am really happy with the game a month or 2 from now I will make a purchase to support the game but right now my $60 is enough. 

Where do you think the Gems come from?  Other players selling their gems to be purchased by other playing spending gold.

Colddog suggested that there is an unlimited artificial gem supply but that the price itself is driven by the supply and demand from players. 

• JackSmthJackSmth Member Posts: 17

I've spend 20 Euro in the cash shop so far (extra bank space, keys and dye-pack).

And I will probably spend more if they expand the shop with more cosmetic items.