Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how much money have you spent in the Cash Shop?

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    None, purely plan to use in game gold for any gem needs I have, which primarily will be storage/character slot needs.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

None. My personal rule going forward is to spend only what I would have on a sub and seeing as the first month would have been free... If I had spent extra money at this point the game would have been MORE expensive then under the sub.

Which is surely, in theory, not the point of F2P?

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by colddog04
    None. Bought some gems with gold though. Only cost me 2 gold for 30 account wide bank slots. I'm probably going to just do that over and over again until they are all open.

I thought that fans who really enjoyed what Arenanet has created showed their appreciation by supporting Arenanet through their item mall. Evidently I was wrong there?

Evidently not everyone isgoing that route! :) That is what is amazing about B2P, the freedom of choice. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

For me, I have spent close to 200$ in the cash shop already.
    I just unlocked all my character slots for each class.
    and been buying some exp boosters and bank slots.
    also bought some Black Lion Keys, because I had a stash of chest in my bank.

havnt exchanged gems for gold yet. Because WOW its costly.400 gems for 50 silvers. lol no thanks!!!

So, not even a month since it launched and you've already spent the equivalent of about 13 months of subscription fees.

To look at it another way, you've paid the equivalent of 1 month's subscription fee for 13 people.

Further still, you did it during what would usually be the 30 free days included with the box fee.

Is it any wonder why ANet went with a Cash Shop instead of subscriptions? Not to me. I knew why as soon as they announced it. Two words: "Revenue Potential".

It also demonstrates even further how hypocritical ANet are with their "oh, sub-based MMO devs have to justify the sub fee to their players" nonsense. No, I think ANet has to justify why players should have to spend extra $$$ on things like freaking inventory space in a game they just spent $60 on. That's lame F2P-grade shenanigans right there.

Yet, I know people will rush in to defend it. So many are so bamboozled over this game that they'll defend anything ANet does.

I sort of agree with you its a sleazy move, but on the other hand you can just get gems with gold, so it is available in game, technically everything can be obtained through just in game means, what annoys me, is I have to grind gold for it, I would much rather have some hard to complete events or whatever reward you with some gems once in a while than having to grind large amounts of gold just to get gems to unlock some more bagslots.

I am nearly 80 now tho, so gold is starting to loose its meaning a little bit I am making about 1g per 2-3h so I can start stocking up for the unlocks I want. Mainly bank slots. Bag slots can be offset by the fact that I kept crafting larger capacity bags but once I get to a wall I will probably just start getting gems for gold and expanding my inventory.

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297

Well golly gee . . . . I had been under the impression that one of the best and unique feature s of the game was that you purchased it once and that's it.

So let's reward ANet for delivering the model by blowing as much cold hard cash into their shop as possible???? Over $200 in a couple of weeks?

So I had to purchase the game in order to play and F2P?  Please.

What's next, do we have to shave our head as well and cut off all contact from our families or anyone else who questions the cult?

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    20 bucks for vault space, I am a crafter so the extra vault space comes in handy. Nothing else in cash shop has any appeal for me sio that will be about it until the expansions come out

I miss DAoC

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

None. Looked at the dollar price, looked at the euro price being the same.

Thought; fuck that.

I probably will buy some later, prices are good even when I have to pay 30% more.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

havnt exchanged gems for gold yet. Because WOW its costly.400 gems for 50 silvers. lol no thanks!!!

So, not even a month since it launched and you've already spent the equivalent of about 13 months of subscription fees.

To look at it another way, you've paid the equivalent of 1 month's subscription fee for 13 people.

Further still, you did it during what would usually be the 30 free days included with the box fee.

Is it any wonder why ANet went with a Cash Shop instead of subscriptions? Not to me. I knew why as soon as they announced it. Two words: "Revenue Potential".

It also demonstrates even further how hypocritical ANet are with their "oh, sub-based MMO devs have to justify the sub fee to their players" nonsense. No, I think ANet has to justify why players should have to spend extra $$$ on things like freaking inventory space in a game they just spent $60 on. That's lame F2P-grade shenanigans right there.

Yet, I know people will rush in to defend it. So many are so bamboozled over this game that they'll defend anything ANet does.

You must have missed the poll input so far. It is showing most fans have paid nothing.

I look at it this way. I have played 88 hours. A movie cost $5 at a matinee and they usually last about 2 hours. 88/2=44.  $5x44=$220. So, it all depends how you want to spend your money for entertainement. 

I believe TSW lifetime subscription is $199 with a cash shop.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I love the game, having much fun in it, but I really hate that particular line by ANet...

The bottom line is that if subs are not needed then neither is a cash shop. If one is greedy, they both are.

I perosnally accept both model seek to achieve the same end, and that's to generate ongoing profit, but this 'subs are ripping you off' line is just cash shop shill inspired opinion that's spread like wildfire amongst impressionable internet dwellers.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    None. Bought some gems with gold though. Only cost me 2 gold for 30 account wide bank slots. I'm probably going to just do that over and over again until they are all open.

I thought that fans who really enjoyed what Arenanet has created showed their appreciation by supporting Arenanet through their item mall. Evidently I was wrong there?

Evidently not everyone isgoing that route! :) That is what is amazing about B2P, the freedom of choice. 

Precisely, it shows who are putting their money where their mouth is. Those who really  appriciate Arenanet's effort and are not in a personal economical crisis ought to buy from the item mall directly to show support. Or at least until Arenanet announces that all pre-made gems have been sold.

• MaxmmoMaxmmo Member Posts: 10
    the items in the cash shop are a joke, and bank slots should be pay with game money, character slots i can see most games offer this service. i already feel robed of the $60 bucks i spent so hell no.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Vesavius

I love the game, having much fun in it, but I really hate that particular line by ANet...

The bottom line is that if subs are not needed then neither is a cash shop. If one is greedy, they both are.

I perosnally accept both model seek to achieve the same end, and that's to generate ongoing profit, but this 'subs are ripping you off' line is just cash shop shill inspired opinion that's spread like wildfire amongst impressionable internet dwellers.

1 silver gives you 3 gems. You can buy anything in the cashshop once you played a while with a lvl80.

The cashshop is for people who is in a hurry or too lazy to farm gold.

OP wanted the stuff now, and it frankly does not give him much of an advantage, whenever I have 10 silver extra I buy gems for it. I can wait a while and work for my stuff which is my choice and you can do the same.

So unless you can do the same in TSW it aint the same thing.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Precisely, it shows who are putting their money where their mouth is. Those who really  appriciate Arenanet's effort and are not in a personal economical crisis ought to buy from the item mall directly to show support. Or at least until Arenanet announces that all pre-made gems have been sold.

By buying the gems with gold, he is supporting the item mall, as a player had to buy the gems to begin with. Or is there another way to buy the extra bank space?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

By buying the gems with gold, he is supporting the item mall, as a player had to buy the gems to begin with. Or is there another way to buy the extra bank space?

As I said earlier: Arenanet artificially put a certain amount of gems in the market from start. Once they announce that those gems have been bought, sure, your argument holds, but not until then.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    I just buy gems with in game money.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Loke666

None, see no reason for it since buying gems for silver currently is cheap.

I will buy all expansions for real money though, and if I am really happy with the game a month or 2 from now I will make a purchase to support the game but right now my $60 is enough. 

For now i am okay with what i got for my money.

But over time i will spend real money on :

Extra bank space

Extra Bag space

Extra character slots.

DLC, when it becomes available.

Still not sure if i will be able to get the mini pets ingame, or if they are a gemshop only thing. If so i might exchange ingame gold for gems.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

MMOExposed is a master at what he does. I enjoyed your post, TangentPoint.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

As I said earlier: Arenanet artificially put a certain amount of gems in the market from start. Once they announce that those gems have been bought, sure, your argument holds, but not until then.

Can you post a link to your source for that? I was unable to find info on that.

Logically, you can deduce it by noting that already from the very start of the Gem-for-Gold system there was a buying price., which means that there was a supply. Do you think players were behind that supply? If so: how was the first buying price set? 

As for a source: the information has been around here in the forum for quite a while about how Arenanet would "kickstart" the gem-for-gold economy through artificial supply. I don't have a direct link at the moment, but when I do I'll update it, given that I have time to find it and post. Perhaps other users remeber where the original source came from?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    None yet... what on earth would I need this soon?
  • MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    I spent $50 for gems for one chracter slot, lots of bank tabs and a pack of mini's. It will be several more months before i spend anything again. But I'm set for now.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

So you are attacking my character because I chose to buy gems with gold instead of gems with money? That's a pretty low thing to do. And I am really enjoying what they have to offer. I've also enjoyed F2P games for what they had to offer. I've also enjoyed sub games for what they had to offer.

So yes, evidently your premise that fans who really enjoy what ArenaNet has created always show their appreciation by paying money in the cash shop is wrong. There are people that enjoy supporting them with their money to save time or get something nice to look at or whatever, and there are people like me that can fully enjoy what ArenaNet has to offer without having to open my wallet.

Besides that, I gave them $60. As well as that, I look at the process like I look at WoW (or almost any other themepark). It costs gold to open up banks slots in WoW. It costs gold to open up bank slots in GW2. Very little difference and 2 gold per 30 slots actually seems very fair to me.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Logically, you can deduce it by noting that already from the very start of the Gem-for-Gold system there was a buying price., which means that there was a supply. Do you think players were behind that supply? If so: how was the first buying price set? 

As for a source: the information has been around here in the forum for quite a while about how Arenanet would "kickstart" the gem-for-gold economy through artificial supply. I don't have a direct link at the moment, but when I do I'll update it, given that I have time to find it and post. Perhaps other users remeber where the original source came from?

There is no source. It was speculation. I believe Vannor made the post describing the way the gem store works.

Also, your logical deduction ignores another option. They may have set a price for gems manually without adding any gems to the system. They then based the future price of off future sales. You never need to put a single gem in the stockpile for that to work. It is, in my opinion, the most likely way they are handling it.

All gems that players purchased during beta carried over to launch. So if someone bought 2,000 gems during beta, those gems were given back to them when the game was released.  (source)

"until then" is now. Cheers! o7

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Nowt
    There's really no need. Although I will probably buy 3 chat slots at some stage so I can have 1 of each class