Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[poll] Was it ready?

Comments

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by jpnole
    These vote threads are not accurate. It's been #2 on Xfire for 3 days now. 

You say these threads are not accurate then proceed to state Xfire numbers .... oh the irony 

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Nope Nope Nope. Most likely the publisher really pushing for a release is at fault... still its probably one of the weakest launches in some time. Atleast they are very quick in fixing stuff up... at least some of the problems.

The further I get, the more I can tell some details were skipped in order to release the game.... that or the personal story is meant to be as cheesy as possible and neglect plot build up and interest.

• kartanakartana Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Yope!
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Definitely ready. All of the issues they had were the same as every single game released int he past 20 years. You won't find a perfect release for a popular game, it just isn't plausible. The game was nowhere near perfect, it was without any shadow of a doubt ready for release though. People just have completely unrealistic standards and very short term memories about previous game releases.

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

Yes and No .

Yes in general the launch is decent, runs fairly alright in most cases.

BUT the trading company and the overflow problems are pain in the butt, they should had fix it before the launch.

• MiklosanMiklosan Member Posts: 176

No!!!

Now, no mmorpg game is really ready though. A mmorpg game is never ready and always in developement!

This is an ok game for sure but it was not ready as in " the next one" if anyone wonder. It works, it's fun but not as good as one might thought when following it.

• JZeroVNJZeroVN Member Posts: 46
    Less ready than it should have been IMO.  But I acknowledge that's the norm in MMORPGs I've played since '99 so it's still "OK" to play and hopefully won't take too long to become a great game to play.

Originally posted by JZeroVN
    Less ready than it should have been IMO.  But I acknowledge that's the norm in MMORPGs I've played since '99 so it's still "OK" to play and hopefully won't take too long to become a great game to play.

This post suggests unrealistic expectations though. MMOs are massively complex and none of them ever relase without some sort of major issue, it just isn't plausible to expect them to not have some sort of major fault at release. Every MMO has a different major fault but they all have them. If you compare this release to all other MMO released in the past 15 years you get a favorable result overall.

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219
    nope it wasnt. and those who voted yes are in denial cause they already spent the money on it.

Originally posted by Thralia
    nope it wasnt. and those who voted yes are in denial cause they already spent the money on it.

Or they played one of the past 20 MMOs released which all had bigger problems...

• ClawzonClawzon Member UncommonPosts: 188

It was NOT ready!

But one shoulnd't expect too much from buy to play and free to play games anyway.

:)

Originally posted by Ender4

Originally posted by JZeroVN

This post suggests unrealistic expectations though. MMOs are massively complex and none of them ever relase without some sort of major issue, it just isn't plausible to expect them to not have some sort of major fault at release. Every MMO has a different major fault but they all have them. If you compare this release to all other MMO released in the past 15 years you get a favorable result overall.

But you are assuming we don't know this when we vote .. Even taking into consideration " no game is perfect " Anet still were not ready to release the game .. The game has the usual problems of a launch title , thats fine and most ppl accept that happens. 

But I can't remember a AAA MMO that's released without a working forum and having to bump their customers to 3rd party sites for updates for example 

As someone else said .. the game might have been ready but Anet certainly were not 

But you are assuming we don't know this when we vote .. Even taking into consideration " no game is perfect " Anet still were not ready to release the game .. The game has the usual problems of a launch title , thats fine and most ppl accept that happens. 

But I can't remember a AAA MMO that's released without a working forum and having to bump their customers to 3rd party sites for updates for example 

As someone else said .. the game might have been ready but Anet certainly were not

And I can't remember a AAA MMO with this healthy of an uptime, this few zone crashes, this few bugs on the existing content and this fluid of combat since WoW was released. This release is ages ahead of almost every MMO I have played but it definitely has its own flaws. Every game is different. If I had to rank games by release this one would be pretty high on the list overall for MMO, easily top 20%. Remember that a game like DAOC had 40% of the zones completely unitemized. WoW's AH and boats were broken for 2+ weeks at release, BG didnt' exist and the end game PVE was completely broken. EQ had so much lag you couldn't play it half the time for the first Month. AoC had no high end content at all at release. AO and AC were completely broken at release in almost every area. EQ2 completely revamped the entire combat system a month into the game. SWTOR and WAR were so clunky that combat was unbearable at release. COH was a disaster at release, etc. SB had so many crashes that sieges weren't plausible at release. None of these games were finished at release, it just isn't plausible.

I have known for a while that the current player base of games had no basis in reality but this poll just solidifies it for me. You can complain aboout a bunch of facets of this game and they are very valid complaints, I won't diminish that for anyone. But if you honestly think this game is not ready compared to the rest of the games released in the past 20 years you are living in a dream world with no basis in reality. This is so much more polished than most MMOs that it is a breath of fresh air in the genre. They have a ton of work to do but it is so much less work than the majority of these MMOs that it is a pretty silly thing to complain about.

Think you miss the point .. regardless of whether the game was ready or not  . Anet were not ready and the two go hand in hand 

( and you can't really compare it to WoW since one would hope that Anet has better tech than a 2004 release )

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

No,

it wasn't ready it had some serious problems that Anet is still trying to pass the buck on right now. However they are working very hard on it and it will be soon. However almost ready and ready are not the same thing so I had to vote no.

• swtorfanswtorfan Member Posts: 8
    Not sure if it was or not. All i know is this game is not really for me. I do hope it sticks around for the people that like it though.

Originally posted by Requiem1066
    Think you miss the point .. regardless of whether the game was ready or not  . Anet were not ready and the two go hand in hand   ( and you can't really compare it to WoW since one would hope that Anet has better tech than a 2004 release )

So you are only counting games released in the past 8 years. Show me the popular MMO with a better release? RIFT had tons of broken mechanics and the invasions were broken for months. AOC relaesed with no sieges, no brawling, broken combat systems, missing voice chat etc. AOIN had disfunctional PvP, huge queues etc. Where is this magical game that had a smooth release? Face it this was one of the better MMO releases in the past 10 years. It had plenty of flaws and I won't disagree but you can't look at it in a vacuum, you have to compare it to other releases that were this size.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by Psychow

Even "Francis" is upset:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eyon0gtM5w&feature=g-user-u

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH

Originally posted by Ender4

Originally posted by Requiem1066
    Think you miss the point .. regardless of whether the game was ready or not  . Anet were not ready and the two go hand in hand 

( and you can't really compare it to WoW since one would hope that Anet has better tech than a 2004 release )

So you are only counting games released in the past 8 years. Show me the popular MMO with a better release? RIFT had tons of broken mechanics and the invasions were broken for months. AOC relaesed with no sieges, no brawling, broken combat systems, missing voice chat etc. AOIN had disfunctional PvP, huge queues etc. Where is this magical game that had a smooth release? Face it this was one of the better MMO releases in the past 10 years. It had plenty of flaws and I won't disagree but you can't look at it in a vacuum, you have to compare it to other releases that were this size.

I will say it slowly ...  I'm not talking about the game .. I'm talking about Anet not being ready .. did Rift have working forums ? Did Aion ? Did AoC bump you to Facebook for tech support ?

If Anet didnt have the basic structures in place to fully support their player base ( which they didn't ) then they were not ready and should not have released the game until they were ... 

Let's agree with you and say the game was ready .. but Anet wasn't and since they go hand in hand it shouldn't have been released until they were ... It doesn't matter if the game is 100% flawless if the company isn't ready .

• EmanioAmorEmanioAmor Member Posts: 7
    Only bugs i've come across are from some quests and possibly a camera angle bug. The game runs well,no lag what so ever.  
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

When you announce a release date before you had any time after the final Beta to actually fix things,a BIG RED flag should pop up.

The same thing happened to me with a game i waited 5 years for >>>FFXIV.I followed that game so close,i knew it was no where near ready,yet they announced a release date before final testing,i was like wtf?

I think the biggest proof that develoeprs really don't care,they are on a STRICT deadline,was when Cataclysym happened.Blizzard has TEST servers,yet it was released in a god awful state,full of bugs and map glitches that no way Blizzard coudl say they didn't see it coming.Then just like A-Net they quickly shut down forums to stop the negative feedback.

So a double whammy by developers,first they disresepct the customer,then they try to hide the truth from others.

Thank god there is always some media outlets without a vested interest that allow the truth to come out ,otherwise developers are pretty good at lying/misleading and hiding the facts.

One other thing...

I do NOT consider it very respectful to just outright BAN players accounts.The proper respect is to perhaps put accounts on HOLD,then allow the players some recourse.Tossing out the BAN is a real negative way to handle things.The proof is that MANY players did NOTHING wrong yet A-Net was quick to announce them guilty first.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Odysses
    At least its not a subscription model game though and players won't be paying $15 a month for them to fix it and get it ready.

What's the difference? Either way most stop playing.. without paying. GW2 will suffer a similar fate as any other if people stop playing and do not microtransact. Not that that will happen, just sayin'..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Wizardry

I think the biggest proof that develoeprs really don't care,they are on a STRICT deadline,was when Cataclysym happened.Blizzard has TEST servers,yet it was released in a god awful state,full of bugs and map glitches that no way Blizzard coudl say they didn't see it coming.Then just like A-Net they quickly shut down forums to stop the negative feedback.

I have more respect for companies if they do like Turbine have done .. During the last beta test for RoR Expack they found some issues .. So instead of releasing it on schedule on the 5th Sept its been bumped back to Oct 15th .. it's disapointing but you at least understand and accept it.

Btw did Gw2 have proper extended beta's or just beta weekends ? I don't know so not making a judgement 

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

I voted yep.  I for one haven't seen most of the login issues that have gone on, and it seems like the majority of people haven't.  Also, most of the other issues (WvWvW queue and BLTP) haven't really affected me yet.  Once I heard about the WvWvW queues I decided to wait a while to see if they eased up (besides, I'm still working on the PvE side of things), and I figure I'll just use the NPCs for the time being for buying and selling.  I have yet to see any issues that actually affect gameplay and my family of four played for the first couple head start days and the last 3 days - we were on vacation over the last week.  So, considering about 95% of the game works just fine for the majority of people, I'd say it was ready for launch.  Show me a non text-based mmo in the last 20 years that has launched without issues.  I bet there are none.

Having said that, I think Anet is running on borrowed time with the issues they are having.  The lack of forum use, the issues with account security, and the major in game issues need to be fixed soon.  I would say within the next 2 weeks we should see some serious progress in those areas.  If not, I suspect people will start leaving the game and staying away and the reputation of the game will start to suffer.  I hope Anet can pull it off (I think they can) as I think it's a great game and worth every penny of my $60 including all the issues.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!