Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[poll] Was it ready?

Comments

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Clearly this game was not ready and needs at least another year before release. They need to redo the combat system because its too simplistic, awkward and boring, give the dynamic events real purpose to where its the players that are doing them and not npcs and lastly redo the game world to were you are not just opening up the map and teleporting to the dot only to get there and say oh well where is the next one.

Clearly the game wasnt made for you.   Time to move on already.  

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Clearly this game was not ready and needs at least another year before release. They need to redo the combat system because its too simplistic, awkward and boring, give the dynamic events real purpose to where its the players that are doing them and not npcs and lastly redo the game world to were you are not just opening up the map and teleporting to the dot only to get there and say oh well where is the next one.

The game was designed for the casual player. Beliive it or not everyone enjoys hardcore raids, and indepth mmos. This is how the entire games design was from the get go, and if you followed it you would know that

It's up to you to open the map or not and use that teleporer. If there wasn't another way of getting around people would complain about it being to hard. 

The game is ready, and those thousands that are playing it are having a great time with it. It is to bad you are dissapointed with it, but there are other mmorpgs out there for you to enjoy. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290

Negative. It was not ready by any means. I don't even login anymore. I'm so disgusted in general with the magnitude of failure mmorpg launches that I have officially retired for good.

I've come to the conclusion that mmo's are a dying breed. Companies are turning these once loved games into nothing but cash cows. It's all about the quick turn around, and definitely not about making fun games with longivety like they should be, not to mention these mmo's are becoming so casual oriented that they don't spark any intrust whatsoever to old school mmo'ers like myself and many others.

This is what I've been noticing over the course of my fourteen plus years of mmorpg gaming. The more popular they are becoming the less innovation is being put into them. Innovation is seriously lacking these days.

Take it however you want but its my personal opinion. If you don't like it too bad. Don't even argue with me because I won't respond back.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Yes, it was ready for releaseNo, MMORPG´s are never ready and done.

And such high standards, too! In my day all MMORPGs had serious bugs and stability issues at launch and WE LIKED THEM THAT WAY! /sarc

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

They didn't expect it to be THIS popular  - they're experiencing growing pains at the moment adjusting servers to the load and refining the universal server economy.

It's done, it just needed stronger testing during beta.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

I said no because it truly doesn't seem like the game services, which are very important in managing an MMO launch this big, were not ready. A lot of people have pointed out that the security issues, which have caused thousands to lose accounts, needs to be resolved. It's disheartening watching them on social media sites seemingly scramble to gett hese issues fixed post launch.

Just as well, on a personal note, I'm disappointed that all the activities aren't in (in fact, 29/30'ish aren't active, the exception being Keg Brawl) for whatever reason? So they're either not done or just being withdrawn from the game for launch. Unless someone could link me to where and why these weren't in the game at launch, I'm pretty sure we can chalk this up to not being ready.

Otherwise? I love this game way more than enough to gloss over what's mentioned above since I haven't actually experienced a lot of the woes others have. But as far as the poll goes, it seems appropriate to say the game wasn't ready. 

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Kakkzooka

They didn't expect it to be THIS popular  - they're experiencing growing pains at the moment adjusting servers to the load and refining the universal server economy.

image  Fruitloops will continue to bash it but there's nothing wrong beyond the enormous amount of sales and players getting into this game. Never before has a company been so popular that they had to pause online sales because of the huge amount of players well over anything they projected.

Was the game ready. Yep for the number of players they projected to have sales from. Was it overwhelmed, yep,

All these idiots who don't play the game but are quick to jump in and judge it but don't include ANY facts with their judgement should remember Error 37, SWTOR's launch fail, WoW's launch pains. None of those types of launches are happening with GW2.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

The content, world and design was ready. The whole online game aspect wasn't.

My opinion? It should be taken offline right now until everything is fixed.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Was the game ready? For the most part yes.

The core of the game works and is mostly playable (save for some broken story bits here and there).

Was Arenanet ready? No.

They can't get their forums working, server issues with overflow systems, trading post issues and account system issues plague the game for many people. Arenanet just didn't seem prepared for a launch.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by Vannor

The content, world and design was ready. The whole online game aspect wasn't.

My opinion? It should be taken offline right now until everything is fixed.

Why should it?... there are lots of issues, obviously... but at least me (and I know many others) are having a LOT of fun playing even with those issues.

So, my opinion.. the game WAS released when it was ready... however, Arenanet wasn't ready for the huge influx of players.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    i guess the answer is no..but that is based on my experience..lag,disconnections,no AH ,possible security issues-but not for me.but saying that hindsight is a wonderful thing..i dont think Anet saw these problems arising or if they did they were pretty negligent.which i doubt.it wont stop me playing because when i do i have a great time.i have sympathies for those that cannot play.
  • NikecowNikecow Member UncommonPosts: 31

Not ready at all. Anyone who says otherwise is lying, simple as that. As we speak the trading post is STILL down, I still can't join my friends in dungeons, forums are still down, etc. The game has even been put to a halt sale-wise. Please don't think it's because they are so responsible, Anet's planning skills where just very poor. It's a good game, but it isn't finished (at all).

Aka poor planning. Tbh that's not even a valid excuse.

They see me lurkin' they hatin...

• MisthawkMisthawk Member UncommonPosts: 63
    1)Clearly this game was not ready and needs at least another year before release. 2)They need to redo the combat system because its too simplistic, awkward and boring, 3)give the dynamic events real purpose to where its the players that are doing them and not npcs 4)and lastly redo the game world to were you are not just opening up the map and teleporting to the dot only to get there and say oh well where is the next one.

1) The game is as close to ready, as they were going to get, without launching.  No launch is perfect, and if it were, the developers could take a hiatus for a year, until the next expansion is discussed.  How often does that occur?

2) What combat system did you have in mind, that is unique, normal, and innovative?

3) Who else, but the players, finish the dynamic events? The NPCs I usually see die off, and you have to rez them, in the end.  Even if they don't die, the damage they do is fractional, compared to the zerg of players.

4) Basically, just sounds like you want a different game in general.  What's wrong with fast travel?  You don't have to use it, just run to your destination instead, then shout to the heavens, "FAST TRAVEL IS FOR NOOBS!"  You'd be a legend, I promise.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

They must know something the fanboi zealots don't!!  image

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    With its current condition i would say nope. (as i am typing this, Guild chat is broken again, guild banks are also down and there is huge delay on mail system, trade post is still down). 
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Game was ready for release.

Their server tech was not.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Forums Closed

The forums are closed at this time. We will open the forums as soon as we are able. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this causes.

The game might have been but most other basic things don't seem to have been .. 

So 

No 

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    GW 1 at least had competitive arenas, this game the only competitive pve is basically bg's...I mean really?  Gets old quick, the wvw is just boring as hell

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Requiem1066
    Forums Closed

The forums are closed at this time. We will open the forums as soon as we are able. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this causes.

The game might have been but most other basic things don't seem to have been .. 

So 

No 

They just don't want to deal with complaints. Just look at facebook where they give daily updates. I can only imagine recations of people on forums everyday due to all the broken features and bugs.

This is convenient for Anet to keep forums down.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    These vote threads are not accurate. What is accurate are the 400K concurrent users and 1 million headstart preorders. Another thing that is accurate is the blockbuster marketing deal Arena Net just landed in China. Look for GW2 to sell millions of copies in US, Europe and worldwide just like the original GW did. It's been #2 on Xfire for 3 days now. Everyone can hate but the simple fact is GW2 cannot lose subs!!!!! It will only continue to sell, similar to Skyrim, based on word of mouth. Before someone jumps in and ignorantly says, "But Skyrim isn't an MMO!!!" Let me say that I am making a sales analogy not comparing the games.
  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

There's almost no way anyone can say Guild Wars 2 was ready for release without looking like a fool or a fanboy by doing so.  

It doesn't take a lot of effort to research the myriad of issues which have plagued GW2 since it launched last Tuesday.  The game should've been released in November or December.  I never thought the August 28th release date made a lot of sense, and I'd still like to know where that decision came from and what it was based on.

• HarttzHarttz Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by fyerwall

Was the game ready? For the most part yes.

The core of the game works and is mostly playable (save for some broken story bits here and there).

Was Arenanet ready? No.

They can't get their forums working, server issues with overflow systems, trading post issues and account system issues plague the game for many people. Arenanet just didn't seem prepared for a launch.

I would agree with this. The game for the most part is done and I like it, even if it isn't the revolutionary experience some made it out to be. ArenaNet clearly wasn't prepared for launch however. I see some giving the excuse that they didn't think the game would be this popular but I just don't see how that can fly with the amount of hype the game was receiving months before launch.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Having population/server troubles is expected in a new release. Having advertised features NOT in working order says to me, not ready.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    no,  as much as I love this game it's tring my patience and mine's zen master like. The mmo indiustry in general amazes me how they release products unfinished as general practice and consumers seem to accept it as just par for the course. The worse thing is the lack of support info or explaination or timeline on fixes from Anet. My in game mails been down since headstart and 2 emails from Anet support with a faq cut and paste response. Very bad launch.