Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And this is why WoW is still the top contender

13»

Comments

• BoudewijnsBoudewijns Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Bc 60-70% of the players r goldfarmers and the rest r the morons that buy it

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    cinematics, CGI trailers, etc are not gameplay; you would think that by 2012 gamers will know this, no wonder marketing garbage is viable in today's world

• MrRealityMrReality Member Posts: 43
    WoW is still the best because it is a world that you actually play in instead of simply just maps people run across. In WoW you can fly and explore the world where as many mmos you can't due to instancing. In WoW there is a carrot and a stick where as  other games have a flat leveling curve and gear is useless. People are materialistic they want gear that actually means something. In WoW you can fail miserably in endgame where as in other mmos there is no room for failure, meaning it is too easy. Last but not least WoW is still the best because the ip is great. People still today play the Warcraft rts games.
  • FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Cinematics are nice certainly, and Blizzard does good ones. But if that is the only way to measure a good MMOG, than SWTOR should be making a killing right now instead of going F2P in desperation.

Personally, I stopped playing WoW when I realized paying $15 a month to do the same 30 daily quests each day, or sit around in the city waiting for my raid to start, or for the dungeon finder to slot me so I could get my daily randoms in.. was a massive waste of money. For me the only time WoW was worth it was during vanilla and TBC. Northrend was the beginning of the end for me.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Cinematics (and trailers, but kind of the same) don't make the game...but they DO sell it. What if the cinematics for SWTOR sucked? Or none at all? Would have garnered a lot less sales.

I remember when the main SWTOR cinematic/trailer (whatever you want to call it) was released for SWTOR. Every MMO and gaming site was raving about it, and all the fans were riled up.

So, cinematics DO make a difference. And the trailer for SWTOR, while not showing gameplay, was amazing looking and generated a lot of hype and excitement. But like I said, if the MMO sucks...it will still see a drop off in players.

Take Crysis. Crysis releases amazing trailers, showcasing their engine. Everyone buys it, expecting it to look amazing. What they actually get is something that looks crappy. It sells well, but gets horrible reviews because of it. BUT, it still sells extremely well because of said trailer.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

Take Crysis. Crysis releases amazing trailers, showcasing their engine. Everyone buys it, expecting it to look amazing. What they actually get is something that looks crappy. It sells well, but gets horrible reviews because of it. BUT, it still sells extremely well because of said trailer.

I'm no expert in economics, but wouldn't all of those high initial sales be canceled out by the potential deluge of returns/refunds after everyone finds out the game is crap?

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

..and this is reason #137, why I like GW2 more.  Cinematics are such a huge waste of money that'd be better spent on gameplay, IMHO.

To each his own image

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.