Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And this is why WoW is still the top contender

Comments

• SeunlauSeunlau Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by sr7olsniper
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

And why a lot of MMOs fail. WoW, has the most AMAZING cinematics. When I first opened up WoW, seeing the Tauren's individual hairs move and the dust he throws...it was just amazing. And after that, every time an expansion hits...there is so much publicity from their cinematics. So much hype comes from them. A good friend of mine gets so excited when a pre-release cinematic comes out for a WoW expansion.

Now there have been a couple MMOs I know of that used cinematics. One used in-game graphics (but no one gets excited about that), and then I believe SWTOR used WoW-like cinematics. And, while SWTOR may have failed in gameplay...because SWTOR used an amazing cinematic trailer. Every fan (including me) got so hyped about it. It was just amazing to watch.

Then GW2...I opened it up, waiting to see an amazing cinematic. And I got...a play? With some 2d art. I was very disappointed and didn't get me excited to play the game at all.

I think if GW2 really wants to succeed, they should come out with an amazing cinematic. This will launch the game into orbit, in terms of popularity. It works for all other MMOs that have done it.

Not only that, but I just love how everyone in GW2 made fun of the "Kung fu pandas" while their entire game looks like it was made b Disney. I mean, they have freaking fairies as a race for christ's sake! Not to mention a mediocre story worthy of Saturday mornings in Disney channel.

hahaha +10 !

• sr7olsnipersr7olsniper Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by rojo6934

Not only that, but I just love how everyone in GW2 made fun of the "Kung fu pandas" while their entire game looks like it was made b Disney. I mean, they have freaking fairies as a race for christ's sake! Not to mention a mediocre story worthy of Saturday mornings in Disney channel.

what game is that? it sounds horrible. Guild Wars 2 is a good one you should check out and just came out.

Idid try it which is why I am telling you my impressions. Out of all the stories the less mediocre was the charr but the Disney touch was evident through out the game.  People said that the Azuras had the best story and to me they were one of the worst. I never usually agree when people say the writting of a game is for 10 year olds, but after playing TSW story (or any other game for the matter) I will have to make an exception and admitt the writting is cheesy at best, Disney channel worthy at worst

At least with a sub game they know that people won't tolerate bullshit and leave. With anet we have no recourse but to buy our own lube so our assholes don't get too stretched out from getting bent over a table at Anets will. - Hrimnir

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I did like the cinematics but I thought SWTORs were equal or better. . not sure it makes a game successful :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

what game is that? it sounds horrible. Guild Wars 2 is a good one you should check out and just came out.

Idid try it which is why I am telling you my impressions. Out of all the stories the less mediocre was the charr but the Disney touch was evident through out the game.  People said that the Azuras had the best story and to me they were one of the worst. I never usually agree when people say the writting of a game is for 10 year olds, but after playing TSW story (or any other game for the matter) I will have to make an exception and admitt the writting is cheesy at best, Disney channel worthy at worst

yeah but where are the fairies?

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch

I guess that's why SWTOR is doing so well.

agree

you need more than CGI to be a "top contender"

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

Sylvari, enough said! Oh and the Azuras look like stich from LILO&STICH

At least with a sub game they know that people won't tolerate bullshit and leave. With anet we have no recourse but to buy our own lube so our assholes don't get too stretched out from getting bent over a table at Anets will. - Hrimnir

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372

I rarely watch the intros to any games more than once (if that many times even) as its a gameplay that's all that really matters.

EVE players are there for many reasons, but the cinematics aren't one of them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShimpoGenmuShimpoGenmu Member Posts: 66

And why a lot of MMOs fail. WoW, has the most AMAZING cinematics. When I first opened up WoW, seeing the Tauren's individual hairs move and the dust he throws...it was just amazing. And after that, every time an expansion hits...there is so much publicity from their cinematics. So much hype comes from them. A good friend of mine gets so excited when a pre-release cinematic comes out for a WoW expansion.

Now there have been a couple MMOs I know of that used cinematics. One used in-game graphics (but no one gets excited about that), and then I believe SWTOR used WoW-like cinematics. And, while SWTOR may have failed in gameplay...because SWTOR used an amazing cinematic trailer. Every fan (including me) got so hyped about it. It was just amazing to watch.

Then GW2...I opened it up, waiting to see an amazing cinematic. And I got...a play? With some 2d art. I was very disappointed and didn't get me excited to play the game at all.

I think if GW2 really wants to succeed, they should come out with an amazing cinematic. This will launch the game into orbit, in terms of popularity. It works for all other MMOs that have done it.

gw2 already succeeded,wow is overrated but hey making arguments with blizz fanboys ???

im just gonna stop here.

and about the cinematics thing ?

squaresoft-square enix DOES better CGI than blizzard

• lightbladelightblade Member Posts: 219
    Sorry, GW2 is already succeeding. Nothing you say is going to change that.
  • ShimpoGenmuShimpoGenmu Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    Cinematics doesn't make a game last, endgame does which GW2 fails at anyways.

the whole game is endgame wich YOU FAIL to understand and even if it wasnt i cant understand u blizz fanboys lol....comparing a 1 pixel game thats been out for 8 YEARS repeat 8 YEARS OF CONTENT against a game wich isnt even a week out

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    OP is having a laugh at our expense.  He can't possibly be serious.
  • BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

Originally posted by Aethaeryn Originally posted by sr7olsniper Originally posted by rojo6934 Originally posted by sr7olsniper  

LOL I said the same damn thing to my friend when he was showing me the different races and classes in the game.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

...if cinimatics make a game a 'top contender' then wow, I must be a terrible gamer to look at gameplay and other features first before using cinimatics as the very last thing I ever consider for making the game the best.

Face it, Wow's population exists due to the fact it has nostolgia, and back when competition was far little. It gained so many since people had friends so linked to the game since it was one of a few options available. Its popularity isnt' that its good, its that its established. Not to say it isn't a good game at all, but there are far better choices out there in terms of quality and progress. 

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Face it, Wow's population exists due to the fact it has nostolgia, and back when competition was far little. It gained so many since people had friends so linked to the game since it was one of a few options available. Its popularity isnt' that its good, its that its established. Not to say it isn't a good game at all, but there are far better choices out there in terms of quality and progress. 

OT, but this kinda sounds like Mario right now. His high scores are the result of the fact that he has a working formula that has kept him at the top for a very long time, combined with the mixture of nostalgia and the occasional new stuff. Thing is, he's kinda starting to get a little on the stale side, and he's now mostly just coasting on the strength of his nostalgic nature and the sheer technical competence of his games.

People will tell me that you shouldn't try to fix a formula that isn't broken, and I agree to an extent. But at the same time, I don't believe that just because it isn't broken, that it can't be improved or refreshed so that it feel more lively again, or at least not as stale.

TL;DR: Mario is still king of platformers because of it's established nature, nostalgia, and technical competence, but it really needs a refreshment eventually, because it's getting stale.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Answer to the thread title. China?
  • jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Cinematics have nothing to do with WOW supposedly being superior than any other game. GW2 trumps WoW in so many ways it's not even funny. Here's a few for you:

• Access to bank at crafting stations. 
    • A huge, separate crafting bank for crafting only items.
    • Numerous, well placed portals allowing for short, medium or long distance travel for a small fee.
    • Auto level scaling.
    • Can play with a level 2 friend with a level 80 player.
    • Increased rewards/chance for rares fighting higher level enemies.
    • GRAPHICS - no released mmo compares
    • DIVINITY'S REACH - size, scale, layout, etc., etc., etc. 
    • Combat - smooth, fast pace, active dodge & block (with equipped shield)
    • NO ROOTING - ALL ABILITIES CAN BE DONE ON THE FLY
    • XP for literally anything that you do in game. 
    • Best crafting model among currently released AAA mmos.
    • NO SUB FEES!!!! (Oh wait I'm sorry original GW started that!)
    • Death of the TRINITY
    • Fight for life when downed!!!
    • shared resource nodes - funny to watch people mine on top of each other!
    • No patch downtime. Just log out and log back in when patch goes live.
    • Overflow server with instant transport to the main server when prompted with no loss of progress.

In the end it's not hard to compete with dumbed down controls, pandas and archaic graphics.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811
    He's probably right, unfortunately.  People are easily glazed over by flash.
    Originally posted by Blasphim

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

LOL I said the same damn thing to my friend when he was showing me the different races and classes in the game.

If I wanted to go the extra mile I would say that the Charr look like Beast form Beauty & Beast but since they are the only race that looks less meh, I wont go there. Point still stands, GW2 is super kiddy. 

If I wanted to go the extra mile I would say that the Charr look like Beast form Beauty & Beast but since they are the only race that looks less meh, I wont go there. Point still stands, GW2 is super kiddy. 

So what's not super kiddy? UBER GUNS, SWEARING, VIOLENCE, SEX SCENES, UBER REALISTIC GRAPHICS, DARK PALETTES!!!!!

But seriously, what's NOT kiddy in your mind?

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by uohaloran
    He's probably right, unfortunately.  People are easily glazed over by flash.

Yeah.... makes me think of SWTOR and their cinematic trailers. Awesome cinematics, lame game. You would think after all these years of cool cinematics in horrible games (all games, not just MMOs) people would realize 1 has nothing to do with the quality of the other.

Originally posted by Enigmatus

So what's not super kiddy? UBER GUNS, SWEARING, VIOLENCE, SEX SCENES, UBER REALISTIC GRAPHICS, DARK PALETTES!!!!!

if you had played TSW you would understand where I am coming from. The entire atmosphere of GW2 screams disney. 

if you had played TSW you would understand where I am coming from. The entire atmosphere of GW2 screams disney. 

I did play it a little bit and I enjoyed it, but I personally had no issue with GW2' atmosphere.

I did play it a little bit and I enjoyed it, but I personally had no issue with GW2' atmosphere.

Not really anything wrong with Disney, per say but I just found it hilarious that the Gw2 crowd was trash talking other games quoting "Kung Fu Panda" instead of watching the giant Disney references in their own game. Personally Gw2 wasnt my game but I do hope the guys over playing it have a blast. 

However, you cant deny that the double standard is increadibly visible with this game fans. 

Not really anything wrong with Disney, per say but I just found it hilarious that the Gw2 crowd was trash talking other games quoting "Kung Fu Panda" instead of watching the giant Disney references in their own game. Personally Gw2 wasnt my game but I do hope the guys over playing it have a blast. 

However, you cant deny that the double standard is increadibly visible with this game fans. 

I might have tuned out the majority of those, since I enjoyed Kung Fu Panda and all those so called "kiddie" things, or at the very least was neutral to them.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270

Skadooshhh!