Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Story mode cutscenes, instant escape button

VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

I just wanted to get sure, that it is not only me instant clicking away the GW2 cutscenes.

After i did all quests + watching their cutscenes in TSW, i just can't get into the GW2 cutscenes, I guess im just spoilt but the tsw stories.

I mean don't get me wrong, but I really tried to watch a few of them, but it all came to the same solution -> Boring and undwieldy.

Others i was asking ingame was like happy about every cutscenes, their previous game was kind of wow or stuff.

Anyone else having my problem?

Comments

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Sorry but the TSW cutscenes were horrible un my opinion. I found the animation in most cuscenes to be extremely bad. Yet in GW2 I have no problems watching them. So no I don't have your problem. Quite the opposite.
  • VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    I played TSW SWToR and pretty much every other major MMO under the sun. I still enjoy GW2 cutscenes. I never skip cutscenes on the first playthrough.
  • VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Connmacart
    Sorry but the TSW cutscenes were horrible un my opinion. I found the animation in most cuscenes to be extremely bad. Yet in GW2 I have no problems watching them. So no I don't have your problem. Quite the opposite.

GW2 has no animation at all just 2 guys standing and talking with moving their hands....I felt like im playing f2p vindictus or even conan was pretty much same lol.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

I've watched a total of like 20 seconds of GW2 cutscenes so far.   I skip them all, just don't care about prewritten stories in MMOs anymore.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Storymode for me is probably the most lackluster part of GW2.. My buddy that started playing yesterday with me commented on them..

I just said "Yea" and LoL'd... After playing games like SW:TOR and TSW which had a little more emphasis on these parts its kinda laughable what ArenaNet choose to do with theirs.

I remember watching them during Beta and how they had that littke "Work In Progress" graphic up like the cinematics were going to change. I knew then it was already a core part and wasn't changing.

Doesn't break my enjoyment of GW2. I just wish they put a bit more care into it. The missions themselves are okay in Story mode but the presentation is not up to par with the rest of the game. I wish they'd had just done them like the DE's. Where the NPC just talks with the bubble above their head..

But w/e.. By far the weakest part of the game tho..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225
    I enjoy GW2 cutscenes a lot. For the most part the animation is really well done, although the immersion would be better if they took place in the world. But if you don't care for the story of the game I guess there is no point watching them.
    Originally posted by Opapanax

Storymode for me is probably the most lackluster part of GW2.. My buddy that started playing yesterday with me commented on them..

I just said "Yea" and LoL'd... After playing games like SW:TOR and TSW which had a little more emphasis on these parts its kinda laughable what ArenaNet choose to do with theirs.

I remember watching them during Beta and how they had that littke "Work In Progress" graphic up like the cinematics were going to change. I knew then it was already a core part and wasn't changing.

Doesn't break my enjoyment of GW2. I just wish they put a bit more care into it. The missions themselves are okay in Story mode but the presentation is not up to par with the rest of the game. I wish they'd had just done them like the DE's. Where the NPC just talks with the bubble above their head..

But w/e.. By far the weakest part of the game tho..

Exactly my opinion

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    I've played SWTOR, TSW and GW2 this year. It hasn't taken long for me to start skipping most of the cut scenes in all of them. They are largely irellevant to actually continuing your questing and the scripts wouldn't even make it into a low budget "B" movie. I'm sorry but they just don't do anything for me.
  • fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    I am skipping the cutscenes and just reading the chat log text. The cutscenes are a bit to painful to watch. The acting is on par with a 3rd grade school play.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by fyerwall
    I am skipping the cutscenes and just reading the chat log text. The cutscenes are a bit to painful to watch. The acting is on par with a 3rd grade school play.

It's really hit or miss.  Some is ok, some is just awful. Not just the acting, but the lack of effects on the voices to make them fit the characters.  I don't think they needed to hire better actors or anything like that, but it just seems like they could have put more effort into it.  Plus the writing itself, a lot of it is too corny.  I get sick of all the lame things my character yells, when I cast boons.  It's like they really just didn't take it seriously, at all..

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    I played GW1 pretty hardcore and I loved the lore, so coming from GW1 I am totally interested and immersed in the lore, dialogue, and stories.  However, I do agree, some cutscenes are painfully boring and/or humiliating lol, at least for the Asurans.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• Depends o nthe personal story, some are better than others.  For the bad/flat ones I will skip the trivial and watch the ones that apply to the overall story.

I skipped a similar amount of cutscenes in TSW.  However both games put a signficant amount of story in the instance play themselves unlike some other games.

• Originally posted by Vhaln
    Originally posted by fyerwall

It's really hit or miss.  Some is ok, some is just awful. Not just the acting, but the lack of effects on the voices to make them fit the characters.  I don't think they needed to hire better actors or anything like that, but it just seems like they could have put more effort into it.  Plus the writing itself, a lot of it is too corny.  I get sick of all the lame things my character yells, when I cast boons.  It's like they really just didn't take it seriously, at all..

Hah they should just let people play their own sounds for them like alerts in windows or a chat program.  Just map each boon to a .wav or whatever its all client side anyway.

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    I dont care for the story, or cutscenes. I zip right thru them without giving them a second thought. I just want to play the game.

• UrkoUrko Member Posts: 88
    Cutscenes are well done in this game.
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by Vapors

I just wanted to get sure, that it is not only me instant clicking away the GW2 cutscenes.

After i did all quests + watching their cutscenes in TSW, i just can't get into the GW2 cutscenes, I guess im just spoilt but the tsw stories.

I mean don't get me wrong, but I really tried to watch a few of them, but it all came to the same solution -> Boring and undwieldy.

Others i was asking ingame was like happy about every cutscenes, their previous game was kind of wow or stuff.

The problem I'm having with the cutscenes is of another nature. I like listening to the voiced dialogues but...I try and not pay much attention to the limp actors on screen. It's fawful!

It's worse when I hear NPCs give certain emotions but their bodies do not reflect that. 

I wish they would have done it differently, if they couldn't be arsed to do more with it.

• Originally posted by NBlitz

The problem I'm having with the cutscenes is of another nature. I like listening to the voiced dialogues but...I try and not pay much attention to the limp actors on screen. It's fawful!

It's worse when I hear NPCs give certain emotions but their bodies do not reflect that. 

I wish they would have done it differently, if they couldn't be arsed to do more with it.

yeah I almost prefer to watch the nice background and here the voices than see the avatars stand there sway back and forth.  When I do triple screen the avatars go to the side screens and get all scrunched while the background is in the middle and looks correct.   Ifind this a bit less annoying.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I've watched them all first time through, I only skip if I'm playing an alt and it's the same story. They're not that  badly voice acted, apart from the accents. I don't think medieval fantasy settings work with American accents. Makes them sound too modern.

Imagine if Peter Jackson had let his American actors use their own accents in LotR.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Urko
    Cutscenes are well done in this game.

I think you forgot to put the word "not" in your sentence.  Otherwise....LOL.

hes a troll... instant detected
  • thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I watched all of them. All eight before I stopped doing personal quests because of them. The cutscenes really are horrible and for me definatly the worst part of the game graphics/technical wise. Second being the characters in the world don't move their mouth when speaking.

Guess that's why they impemtned the cut scenes in the first place.

Wish the face animations from the cutscenes were actually in the game world it self.

Edit.

I don't mean the animations and vocie acting being horrible, I actually find them of high quality (Used to Bethesda)

The way they are implemented is jsut really ridicolous. Why not have the characters in the  game world talkign instead of this weird cut scene with peopel fading in and out.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    never skipped 1 cutscene ,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Connmacart

GW2 has no animation at all just 2 guys standing and talking with moving their hands....I felt like im playing f2p vindictus or even conan was pretty much same lol.

The side by side, character fade in and out cutscenes in GW2 are indeed horrible.  No animation or action, just an abstract scene.

The writing and voicework are likewise poorly done.  Seriously, the stories are something a grade-schooler would have come up with.  Definitely a weakness of the game.

Other games have done this much better.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

I would have watched away, if I could get into one.  Tried three different times today and each time we had a full group, and 2 or 3 of us wouldn't zone in after clicking the join your group button.  Click...nothing.  Every group this happened.  Was very frustrating.  

Edited for word choice fail.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Skipping GW2 story, you gonna have a bad time..