Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proof that ArenaNet's servers most likely compromised

Comments

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/363594/page/1

Previous post by the OP. He wants so bad for it to be their fault. NOt ANets fault you dont have a clue on account security.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

*sigh*

No ANets servers havent been compromised.

Its the same dumbasses with keyloggers and trojans on their computers that got "hacked" in D3 and TERA and WOW and every other game they play because they have malware on their computer.

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    Originally posted by Deathenger
    Originally posted by Satarious

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/z16qv/new_email_address_getting_a_pw_reset_notification/

It appears that customers who dutifully followed ArenaNet's suggestion to "create dedicated email accounts for GW2" are receiving those "password reset" emails.  If this is the case, that pretty much blows apart their theory that accounts are "being hacked into as a result of farmed accounts from OTHER games".  It seems to me that ArenaNet is trying to avoid responsibility for their own third rate security/authentication system.  In response, this guy hits the nail on the head:

"Has it occurred to anyone that there is a possibility the support website (http://en.support.guildwars2.com/) has been hacked?

Support ticket CMS has a notoriety for this kind of thing.. I'd be careful. DO NOT use your game email / password when registering on their support website!"

This guy is so BUTTHURT about getting his account hacked its not even funny. Talk about a streatch, lmao

It should be pretty obvious by now he is blinded by rage due to the incident and refuses to take any part of the blame for being hacked even if it makes no difference and ANet will obviously help him restore his account (the delay for this to happen is a real negative though even if it is impossible to have enough CS for one of the most anticipated MMO releases). He went pretty far to stretch into his conspiracy theory, not to mention going offtopic in his own thread just to call ANet amateurs.

• petespripetespri Member Posts: 15

OP's title:

"PROOF THAT... MIGHT BE"

LOL.

Proof means you are sure.

• Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347

Hell,   this morning I woke up to 13 failed login attempts from various Chinese IP addresses on my account. 

Luckily, the email verification system ArenaNet has in place prevented anybody from accessing, but I find it odd...  A unique email address and a completely randomized generated 12 digit / character password, and them damn chinese got it and were attempting logins.

So, the problems are certainly out there. 

And before the blah blah, security on your system, blah blah.   I do this shyte for a living, hardening servers, security, etc.   So, no breech on my end despite what any of you say.   Not complaining in the least either as the Email Verification requiring Allow / Deny access is enough to keep people out, but for people who use the same passwords on both email and game account...   Well.. they're screwed.

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by heartless
    ...snip...

I've pretty much ruled out trojans, keyloggers, etc. in my case since I update and run SuperAntiSpyware religiously (every day) on my machine and have MS Security Essentials for the AV.  Plus, I make it a point to never click on links in email.  I always go directly to my account url any time I get an email making me aware of something to do with my account.  I've been doing this since the dawn of the World Wide Web and it has served me well.  That's why I have my doubts that it has anything to do with me.  

SUPERAntiSpyware is terrible software (some of the worst in the industry).  If you stake your PC security on SUPERAntiSpyware, and claim that you are secure because of it, then you really need to take a step back and reconsider your situation.

Here's the PCMag.com review of SUPERAntiSpyware: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392919,00.asp

(It received a dismal rating)

Microsoft Security Essentials...  If I wasn't willing to spend money on security software, I might use Microsoft Security Essentials.  However, PC security is important enough -- to me -- to spend the extra dough on quality software.

PCMag.com review of MSE: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403986,00.asp

If you really don't want to spend any money, then go with AVG Anti-Virus Free 2012: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2391931,00.asp

If you are willing to spend money on good software...

... for full security suites, read this article: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369749,00.asp

... for basic protection: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by DMKano

what about Blizzard, SOE, NCsoft, Trion all had public announcements that they got compromised. What about that?? 

Why do you ignore this fact?

News flash *game companies are HUGE targets for hackers and they DO get breached*

Nothing makes Anet hack-proof, they are just as vulnerable as the rest.

i agree but as i posted

during the first few weeks D3 many people posted of being hacked and Blizzard being breached

and Blizzard denied being breached .. until 3 months later Aug 9 when battlenet got hacked

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/05/21/breaking-blizzard-diablo-iii-player-accounts-hacked-items-and-gold-stolen/

• Jeff7477Jeff7477 Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by Nadia

what about Blizzard, SOE, NCsoft, Trion all had public announcements that they got compromised. What about that?? 

Why do you ignore this fact?

News flash *game companies are HUGE targets for hackers and they DO get breached*

Nothing makes Anet hack-proof, they are just as vulnerable as the rest.

i agree but as i posted

during the first few weeks D3 many people posted of being hacked and Blizzard being breached

and Blizzard denied being breached .. until 3 months later Aug 9 when battlenet got hacked

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/05/21/breaking-blizzard-diablo-iii-player-accounts-hacked-items-and-gold-stolen/

Correct - I was actually replying to the above poster who said that it's always Trojans/malware on users PCs that is the problem and that game companies dont get hacked lol

You are right, not always. But at this moment for ArenaNet, yes that is the reason. 

Correct - I was actually replying to the above poster who said that it's always Trojans/malware on users PCs that is the problem and that game companies dont get hacked lol

i agree w you - its not always about malware

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    I used my mmorpg.com email to register for GW2 and the only password reset emails I got was the ones when I wanted to reset my email

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Originally posted by Aori
    Originally posted by Nadia

lol, find a real article.. no one was hacked with an authenticator. A VERY small group of people were saying they were hacked with authenticators but it was a lie, the authenticators were added after the hacks.

Blizzard announced their breachs DAYS after it happened once they figured what was done to them. If authenticators were in fact compromised do you honestly think D3 would have been the primary target BEFORE RMAH. WoW would have been raped left and right but it wasn't.. think about it.

authenticators are irrelevant to what im talking about

hacked players were claiming that Blizzard was breached when D3 launched

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Uh...I'm not sure if this is legal, but does anyone know of any software that can find your password for this game? I forgot what mine was, and while I have sent a ticket requesting a password reset, I still want to know if there are any less time consuming alternatives.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by MosesZD
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

There were many posts in that link, I read some but not all. Arenanet was indeed searching for any people who had a new email account setuped exclusively for Guild Wars 2 and still received the password reset email. However, did any of the replies actuallly claim that they were such persons?

I am asking because otherwise it just means that Arenanet wanted to rule out that possible scenario.

Or, they could have received "Hacked account" tickets from folks who created new email accounts and wanted to see how widespread that issue was.  Either way, I still think it's something on their end considering how massive this problem has become.

I'm not buying this BS their putting out there about the fault being with OTHER compromised sites.  It just seems to me that they're trying to pass the blame since their massive ego has been built up by all the fanboys thinking they're the best thing since sliced bread and that they can do no wrong.

And I'm not buying into the whiners and finger-pointers.   Gamers lie.   Gamers lie all the time.    They cheat, they fail, they buy gold, they use mods and macros.    Then something bad happens and it's always the game company's fault. 

So, I say without solid proof instead of some BS artist on the Internet -- bull.    And it's not a fanboy thing.   It happened in LOTRO, Mabinogi, WoW, Eve Online and every other major MMO I've ever played.   Every single person I've known, or know of, who has been hacked was hacked because they were either stupid with their account information or they were hacked because they were stupid with their gaming decisions (RMT/MODS).   And, sadly, not one single one of these lying crybabies ever tells the truth about what they've done.  

It reminds me of the "I was banned for no reason" only to find out when they posted their account info and ANet looked it up, they were a bunch of homophobic, and racist jerkoffs...

I like this post!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by Aori

You linked the article full of lies and you say it has nothing to do with what you're saying? What point are you trying to get across.. blizzard wasn't hacked months before admitting it.  I'm confused..

you are missing my point or im not being clear with my point

my point is this

1) many D3 players were being hacked and blaming that Blizzard was breached

2) Blizzard issued a statement that no hacks had occured (this link is in the article)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/05/22/blizzard-responds-to-diablo-iii-security-issues/

im not saying that Blizzard was breached when D3 launched

i am saying players claimed that

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    To the employees and fanboys of NCSoft/ArenaNet in this thread who insist that it's "keyloggers" or "malware" that is at fault for the hacked accounts, I've barely even played this game since the 3-day headstart pre-launch.  I logged in literally ONE day and haven't logged in since because of my busy schedule.  If my account/password were somehow farmed from a "keylogger", you'd think my account would have been hacked a long time ago (like during the prelaunch days).  Heck, there were 2-3 months leading up to launch that it could have beeen hacked if it were a "keylogger" since I've participated in some of the BWEs.  My account was literally just sitting there with no activity, and then suddenly it gets hacked this last Friday.  It has all the markings of a massive breach on their server, as far as I'm concerned.

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365
    Originally posted by Comaf

Sometimes, when I think about how major corporations (think Apple and Samsung, for example) engage in corporate espionage, I come to wonder if video game companies are any different?  This year it was reported that the Iranian nuclear program was slowed a tad by a virus that was delivered aggressively from another country (I'm guessing that was us).

So I wonder if say, Blizzard, might have had some fun with A-Net's servers.  Just a thought ;p)

My god you GW2 fanboiz are absolutely amazing...If blizzards servers were hacked like that, EVERYONE would be bitching and screaming and yelling at them - Oh wait, they did...

But when A-net gets hacked? its blizzards fault still..

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

So is there any alternative ways to find out a forgotten password besides the disabled password reset and the ticket to support? If so, I'd like to hear it.

Also, on topic, this topic gave me anxiety last night and I probably shouldn't have overreacted as badly as I did.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Just received tons of "Password reset" confirmation emails in my mail that I didn't initiate.

I contacted their support site before launch because of a multiple-billing issue upon purchase (was handled fine), my password for GW2 is unique for that game (and randomly generated). The mail mentions no changes are made to your account, but this does make me a bit jumpy.

Never had problems in any other game before.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• wartyxwtwartyxwt Member Posts: 172
    I'm guessing this is more proof that the kind of person who uses the same email and password for everything is the kind of person to have a PC that is riddled with spyware. Here's a clue seeing as you are apparently pretty dim - creating a new account on an already compromised PC does nothing..
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Just received tons of "Password reset" confirmation emails in my mail that I didn't initiate.

I contacted their support site before launch because of a multiple-billing issue upon purchase (was handled fine), my password for GW2 is unique for that game (and randomly generated). The mail mentions no changes are made to your account, but this does make me a bit jumpy.

I recommend you to change the account name, better safe than sorry.

I however think it is more likely that there is a keylogging worm than ANETs servers being hacked.

Edit: and run a safety scan as well. http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ It is free and wont hurt.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Originally posted by Loke666

I however think it is more likely that there is a keylogging worm than ANETs servers being hacked.

Edit: and run a safety scan as well. http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ It is free and wont hurt.

Yeah, changed immediately.

I run scans regularly, could be that I'm still hacked, but I don't think yet another antivirus is gonna do anything but slow my comp down more :p

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by Loke666

Yeah, changed immediately.

I run scans regularly, could be that I'm still hacked, but I don't think yet another antivirus is gonna do anything but slow my comp down more :p

But was your original account name unique or have you used it elsewhere? 

Honestly I don't think it is either Anet getting hacked or malware on the user pc. I think it is much simpler. The people trying to obtain accounts probably have a huge master file with various logins and passwords obtained by hacking various gaming sites and other MMOs in the past. This file is being used to probe for GW2 accounts and if they get a hit they try passwords.

These people can not change your info unless they have both login and password.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

around launch day i got 10+ emails about "reset your password" in an email account not related to GW2..... so i dont know what to say about that.

I havent received any of those scam mails on my gw2 email and that one is not related to gw1 account or any other ncsoft published game.

• gunjinngunjinn Member Posts: 24
    My GW account was hacked some time ago. I played almost every major MMO out there, and it NEVER happened to me before. Of course Arena Net told me it was my fault. That's why I will never buy any game from them no matter how good it is. Peace
  • zephyrszephyrs Member UncommonPosts: 27

I don't know if this happened to anyone else, but I received any email about my GW2 password being reset. The only problem is that I don't have a GW2 account nor own the game. Kind of weird.

I haven't played any MMOs in over a year, just kind of biding time waiting for something good to come out. This is what brings me to these forums from time to time.

[quote]

Honestly I don't think it is either Anet getting hacked or malware on the user pc. I think it is much simpler. The people trying to obtain accounts probably have a huge master file with various logins and passwords obtained by hacking various gaming sites and other MMOs in the past. This file is being used to probe for GW2 accounts and if they get a hit they try passwords.

These people can not change your info unless they have both login and password.

[/quote]

Given my experience, I consider this to be a strong possiblity.