Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Horrible company

Jaick360Jaick360 Member Posts: 5

People think EA is bad? My account not even 24 hours old and already been hacked.

Was having a blast, took a break for some food came back and my passwords do not work. Couldn't even authenticate with email since its been down. 

Yeah back to TOR. At least there I have account security.

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Sorry but I dont believe you.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Well ive been playing since headstart, haven't been hacked.  You did something bud, dont blame Anet. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Jaick360Jaick360 Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    Well ive been playing since headstart, haven't been hacked.  You did something bud, dont blame Anet. 

LOL

Hey I been playing MMO's for at last 8 years. Never been hacked before GW2. NEVER.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Jaick360

People think EA is bad? My account not even 24 hours old and already been hacked.

Was having a blast, took a break for some food came back and my passwords do not work. Couldn't even authenticate with email since its been down. 

Your account got hacked and how is that ArenaNet's fault? ArenaNet didn't get hacked, someone guessed your password. I'm guessing because you used the same email and/or password for most of MMOs you played.

• feroshusferoshus Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Not buying it man, just saying. Besides there a bunch of threads about this, an official one too. But you know that, so you created a new account to troll...
  • lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Dont know but it is happening a lot lately. Accounts are being hacked left and right. One of my guildies got it hacked too and he never visits and fishy websites and is also very careful with his emails. Can't blame everything on players. There got to be some loop hole on Anet side that hackers are having a party.
    Originally posted by feroshus
    Not buying it man, just saying. Besides there a bunch of threads about this, an official one too. But you know that, so you created a new account to troll...

Created an account for the first time because I cant vent my frurstration on the offical forums since they down. 

Fine don't believe me buts its the god honest truth. 

• feroshusferoshus Member UncommonPosts: 164

Created an account for the first time because I cant vent my frurstration on the offical forums since they down. 

I don't : )

Originally posted by lifeordinary
    Dont know but it is happening a lot lately. Accounts are being hacked left and right. One of my guildies got it hacked too and he never visits and fishy websites and is also very careful with his emails. Can't blame everything on players. There got to be some loop hole on Anet side that hackers are having a party.

The issue is that Blizzard, SOE and a few other MMO publishers got hacked and their account databases were stolen. So if you used the same email address and/or password for those other games, chances are you're on a list somewhere.

I'll give you an example of what I did. I started getting those "Please reset your password" emails from ArenaNet, which is how it seems to start. I realized that my account email was the same one I used for Battle.net so I quickly changed the email on the account to a freshly created one. No more password reset emails, no hacking.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Why would you use the same password as other things?  That's your fault. 

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295

LOL

Hey I been playing MMO's for at last 8 years. Never been hacked before GW2. NEVER.

Sure you haven't.

BTW, have fun in SWTOR. Account security maybe the only good thing that steaming turd has going for it.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

First thing I plan to do when one of my accounts gets hacked is create a new profile on a forum totally unaffiliated in any official way with the game and tell people about it. Getting hacked just screams new forum account.

... even if you really have been hacked, strange behaviour.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Sorry but I dont believe you.

You should.

Same situation OP. No numbers to call only auto response emails. If a sub gets me a person I could talk to, I'll gladly pay the sub.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by heartless

Your account got hacked and how is that ArenaNet's fault? ArenaNet didn't get hacked, someone guessed your password. I'm guessing because you used the same email and/or password for most of MMOs you played.

Though getting hacked is usually a user end problem, I'd be real careful blaming the players themselves since the game just came out. The reason I say this is because back when Rift came out there was a rash of acount hacking that turned out to be from an exploit of the game software itself and not due to user error.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

you should have gotten an email if your password was changed

anet has had email verification working since Thursday

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/z3qqm/guild_wars_2_status_thursday_august_30/

Originally posted by Tardcore

Though getting hacked is usually a user end problem, I'd be real careful blaming the players themselves since the game just came out. The reason I say this is because back when Rift came out there was a rash of acount hacking that turned out to be from an exploit of the game software itself and not due to user error.

I agree and i remember this too. GW2 fans are quick to blame players just like Rift fans did when account hacking started.

Originally posted by Tardcore

Anything is possible. However, I found that most people rarely take stuff like account security seriously. Most reuse the same user names and passwords all over the place. Most use the same password for years. Hell, some even use names and words for their passwords.

Then you got your keyloggers, trojans and all that other fun stuff. Not to mention brute force attacks.

The best way to safeguard your GW2 or any game account is to create a brand new email address and use it only for GW2. This way you can be sure that your username is not on a list somewhere.

Edit: my point is that before we lay the blame squarely on ANet's shoulders, we should make sure that everything was secure on our end. Calling any company horrible because you got hacked is a bad move, especially because most security breaches happen on the user side.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

I don't understand these posts.

It's how they say it.  Like they have no choice.  Like they can't not have an MMORPG to play even if they don't really like it.

Like they can't live without it, yet will jump ship the second something else is available.

I have no issue with people playing games they like.  I have no issue with people trying new games they think they will like.  But all of these "going back to X...*sigh*" posts just seem like signs of addiction or something.  Happens every time a new game comes out.  Sounds like either the usual fanboy defending of certain games, paid posts, or people that need to re-evaluate their gaming habits.

Like I said been playing MMO's for a long time. You think I'm stupid to keep reusing the same password over and over? The same email over and over? No.

And the email authenticator is NOT working because that was the first thing I tried to do and it said not available.

Made a new email account too for this game as I always do.

Its Areanet not me and as I see its affecting thousands as well. Blaming me only makes you idiots look like....well idiots.

Like I said been playing MMO's for a long time. You think I'm stupid to keep reusing the same password over and over? The same email over and over? No.

And the email authenticator is NOT working because that was the first thing I tried to do and it said not available.

Made a new email account too for this game as I always do.

Its Areanet not me and as I see its affecting thousands as well. Blaming me only makes you idiots look like....well idiots.

I know exactly what happened, ArenaNet gave your log in information to hackers. That's the only logical explanation.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by WizGamer
    The same thing happened to me as well. They did not notify the players of this hacking unless the players had been checking their website. I was completely caugh off-guard having not played in the past 5 days or so. Also, all you assholes who are blaming the players, please STOP. God forbid someone use the same information on one game as the other. It was ArenaNets fault for allowing unverified users to somehow change your e-mail. There was no validation e-mail that my e-mail was being changed or any verification process. In every other MMO, if you want to change your e-mail, you have to check the e-mail and verify you want the switch. Not so with GW2. That's why they realize their mistake and are building the system that most games have at launch. You guys who hate on other players who suffer for the company's lack of e-mail verification are pathetic.

Like wtf? Makes no sense. 

Now here is the kicker.

Changing a Username or Email Address

We know that some players do not have a valid email address for their linked Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 account name and want to change it. At this time, it is not possible to change your Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2 account name or email address. However, we plan to have this ability before Guild Wars 2 launches.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    I wouldn't even be surprised if someone in Anet is giving out players info. After all these years of playing MMO i believe in one golden rule..'Anything is possible'.
  • EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    It's always this flawed logic: "I've never been hacked before, so if I do get hacked, it's the developer's fault."
  • asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

I got hit too and its a new email and pass. Had to be this weekend when I have some time.

Asdar

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

LOL

Not sure if trolling....or just extremely un-intelligent. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

This discussion has been closed.