Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCSoft - Thieves

KalayKalay Member Posts: 154

The NCSoft company is nothing about a bunch of theives.  I was considering getting into GW2 but after seeing them merge all the servers in Lineage 2 and losing about 20 characters that I spent two years leveling.  Only to see the game reappear.  AND after now seeing that City Of Heroes is closing down nothing good is coming of this company.

I have the same feeling that they are doing the same thing here with City Of Heroes.  People will do their damnest to keep the game going, the game will stay opened but will be changed.  All the characters will be wiped.  Personally I think this is an excuse to wipe everyone's account out and start fresh.

There are certain organizations in life that after a while become corrupt and only giggle and laugh at marketing schemes to get a person's money.  These people are no good.  The NCSoft organization is turning into one of them.

Personally I feel as if I have been supporting some sort of war effort knowing that the Koreans are behind it and that the US branch cares nothing about its service/product.

I am losing 10 servers full of chars, 2 level 50s, many more level 30s and a bunch of level 20s or higher.  Not to mention the 20 chars that I lost in the Lineage 2 game.

Most people sort of guessed the game was over after it went free.  It was pretty much for me, but I did plan to return at a later date when I had more free time. 

This sort of thing will be happening over and over again with the  main reason being legal.  So much for leaving your characters or account in a will for your family to fight over and taking the company to court.  I see nothing wrong with taking an organization like this to court anyways.

They give business organizations a bad name.  It is only a matter of time before they do the same thing to Aion.

Its great when you invest 6 years of money into a paid service only to have all of the work disappear.  

I hope this happens to a few companies out there that are as the saying goes, dishonest and thieves.

As for MMO gaming, if I wanted a social network I would join Facebook.

10 years from now I do not believe that an 'NCSoft' will be around.  At least not with that name.

This is a perfect example of why playing with people is nothing but trouble.  It is better just to play against a computer.

GlassEye

Comments

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by Kalay

I am losing 10 servers full of chars, 2 level 50s, many more level 30s and a bunch of level 20s or higher.  Not to mention the 20 chars that I lost in the Lineage 2 game.

Most people sort of guessed the game was over after it went free.  It was pretty much for me, but I did plan to return at a later date when I had more free time. 

So, the game closed down and you are upset that characters that YOU USED TO PLAY  but "did plan to return" to will be gone by November 30.  Perhaps, and just perhaps, if the people who "used to play" kept on playing and not just used the game as an MMORPG booty call, the game would still be a vibrant playground.   Don't move out of the old neighborhood and then get ticked off becaue they tore it down before you could get back for a visit.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

What about Tabula Rasa?

or Dungeon Runners?

I mean lets complain about all the games NCSoft has shut down, probably because they became unprofitable.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Of all the crap NC Soft has pulled CoH is your last straw? Meh better late then never I guess.
  • CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283
    They seem to shutdown games to fast, when TR was getting good they shut it down, Devs had so many plans and they just shut the game down same with all other ncsoft games.

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Silly rant.  You invest in the stock market, you play MMORPG's.

You had fun while you were there, they have no obligation to keep your characters around forever.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KalayKalay Member Posts: 154

I said this before and I'll say it again.  "There should be a guarantee that you will not lose any characters".

I went through this with Lineage 2.  The EULA actually states that the characters are not yours.  Their support got back to me to emphasis that.  I feel that is wrong.  But that is the case when you play with other people, BUT it is not that way with all games.  I seriously mentioned the legal aspects in it.  Someone should take them to court over it.

One to mention right away is Diablo 2.  I have maybe 30 characters created there.  And I still have them though even after surviving the Win 98 crashes.  Why?  Because I have control of them.

If no one has noticed the MMO games/services have security system that supposedly no one can break into.  D2 is done to play online because, as the phrase goes, it is nerfed.  The game has been taken apart by people who have all the items so why still play it online?  Hopefully those people have moved on and are trying to break something else.  Lan the game is the answer.  You can't do that to D3 which is why I consider it to be less of a game.  Funny they have a new leveling system called Paragon levels.

I am actually wondering if the days of on line gaming are becoming numbered.  

All of this is why your best playing partner is your computer.  No intervention of outside sources, no fight over 'gang' tactics.  I could get into this but that is another story.

In my opinion City Of Heroes has the best teaming online, in any game!  You can relax, work as a team, and at the end come out feeling as if you had fun.  I have not found another game like that in any other MMO.  Am I willing to put more money up for that?  Hell no.  To see the game keep going downhill more and more.  

All of these contracts with other parts of the industry are ruining the game.  Hollywood, the music industry being involved are all adding to the deterioration of the industry.  It is no wonder Half Life 2 Episode 3 has not been made.

And I have another thing to add to that you will just love.  The intervention of 'killer queens'/woman gaining more and more interest in online gaming.  Which is all they really seem to want to do.  Why?  Because they have an edge.

I will never be buying another NCSoft game and I am hoping that the quality of Blizzard picks up as well as that has recently been lacking in fun.

Socializing is not gaming.  And 'gang' rule is also not gaming.  Coming up with a solution to something your play, IS gaming.

I am sorry to see it go.  But I am also not surprised as time moves on to see the quality of work go downhill.

With all the money they have 'stolen' from people with undue promises...well...I hope they choke on it.

As far as I am concerned it is the same as some child breaking another child's toy.  Did you raise your kids to do that?

Its entertainment.  Stick with your product and make it better and better and you may be surprised how that pays off in the end.  

GlassEye

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

I'm not going as far as saying they are thieves, but going "free to play" and then selling various things to unlock parts of the game only to close it down a year later is awfully crappy.

They should have made at least a 3 year commitment to F2P, I think, unless they were absolutely losing money hand over fist on CoH, and even then, they could simply cease development and run the servers. I mean, we all know that server costs are not that much.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Corthala
    They seem to shutdown games to fast

They're the FOX of MMO companies.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

What about Tabula Rasa?

or Dungeon Runners?

I mean lets complain about all the games NCSoft has shut down, probably because they became unprofitable.

Even less proitable than games like Daoc or Vanguard or WAR? Even EA  and SOE is not that hasty when it comes to shut down.

• TawartafleTawartafle Member Posts: 11
    Keeping account of the number of caualties on NCSoft side, investing time and money on any of their games is a jump of fate. It's hard to believe that oldies from other companies like Ultima Online, Dark Age of Kamelot or Vanguard, just to name some of them, still profitable enough for vampire companies like EA and SOE don't pulling the plug while NCsoft seems to have problems with most of their games.
  • TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I wouldn't call them thieves, more like hypocrites. It got under my skin when I heard about them forging a letter claiming it was written by Richard Garriot about closing down Tabula Rasa when Garriot was out in space at the time being and he filed a lawsuit when he returned home. I think NCSoft are only interested in money churning products, and I think GW2 will be that, but honestly, if GW2 stops generating money a year from now NCSoft will no doubt attempt to close it down without hesitation and this is the 5th game for them to shut down. Aion will be next on the list, that game is slowly shrinking.

There are more and more major companies like NCSoft popping up, even existing ones turning into those (like SOE, Activision and EA). There's very little you can do about them.

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604
    Originally posted by Kalay

I went through this with Lineage 2.  The EULA actually states that the characters are not yours.  Their support got back to me to emphasis that.  I feel that is wrong.  But that is the case when you play with other people, BUT it is not that way with all games.  I seriously mentioned the legal aspects in it.  Someone should take them to court over it.

"Someone?" Anyone?  Why not you?  You seem pretty worked up over it.

And I say that in all seriousness.  I'm not commenting on your particulars because, frankly, it sounds like so much whining.  BUT, if you were truly harmed and feel you can prove it, then by all means, take NCSoft (or whoever) to court.  There are alot of shenanigans in gaming that will not be resolved until the courts intervene.  You can be a test case.

Put up or shut up.