Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

32 bit or 64bit on Windows 7 upgrade

ompgamingompgaming Hometown, IAPosts: 185Member

I am upgrading my laptop from Windows XP to Windows 7.  Here is the specs for my laptop:

17" 1680x1050 - Intel® PM45 Express Chipset - GeForce 9600M GT

Dual-Core Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9600 2.80GHz 1066FSB 6MB L2 Cache (VT)

2 x 2GB PC2-6400 800MHz DDR2 SODIMM

500GB 7200RPM SATA Notebook Drive

Super-Multi DVD-RW Drive (DVD RAM)

Intel® WiFi Link 5300 Wireless Adapter (802.11AGN 3x3)

Microsoft Windows XP Home with SP3 (32-bit)

Can I use Windows 7 in 64bit or do I have to use 32bit because my current OS is 32bit as well?   Keep in mind, I am starting from scratch, I have a completely blank format on my hard disk so I will be installing from zero. 

Any help is appreciated.

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Boca Raton, FLPosts: 4,516Member Uncommon

Windows/Microsoft will not WANT to let you upgrade from 32 to 64 bit but there (legal) are ways to do so.  I recently upgraded from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Win7.   Try and google for the steps.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

• ompgamingompgaming Hometown, IAPosts: 185Member
    My hard drive is completely blank.  I don't know how they would know I am upgrading.  I am just not sure if my hardware can "do" whatever 64 bit does more than 32 bit.

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak HeerenveenPosts: 117Member
    Depends.. if you are planning a memory upgrade in the future, you better buy 64-Bit. Operating systems that are 32-Bit can only access up to 4 GB of memory, namely. If you want to go above it, you need a 64-Bit OS. Google Windows 7 64-bit oem version, they are cheaper (a lot), and you don't need to worry about upgrading because oem versions are stand-alone. When you install a new Windows on a system that is an upgrade, during the installation you need to put the dvd of the previous windows version in your drive. If upgrading from 32-bit to 62-bit Windows isn't allowed you're screwed during the installation, because you can't progress any further if you don't have the right upgrade. Again, with oem-version you don't need to worry about that.

• jawalijawali slubicePosts: 195Member Uncommon
    the biggest difference between 32 and 64 bit windows is the fact that 64 bit allows you to  use more ram memory for processes (if it is needed). To say the true, I am not sure if you notice the difference on your laptop, but anyway 64 bit is better.

• TrionicusTrionicus Fort Lauderdale, FLPosts: 497Member Uncommon
    If it was a desktop I would say 64 no brainier but laptops...where is quiz? lol
  • RidelynnRidelynn Fresno, CAPosts: 4,179Member Uncommon

Unless you need something specific, go with 64-bit. Some older drivers and software, for instance, require 32-bit, but that stuff is fairly old (5+ years) and mostly XP-only anymore.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Kihei, HIPosts: 754Member
    Sixty four....don't even think about staying with 32.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Boca Raton, FLPosts: 4,516Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ompgaming
    My hard drive is completely blank.  I don't know how they would know I am upgrading.  I am just not sure if my hardware can "do" whatever 64 bit does more than 32 bit.

Your activation code is tied to the 32 bit version.  Unless you plan to pay for the full non-upgrade version.  Then you can do whatever you like.  You can get 64 bit upgrade to work to upgrade from 32 bit but it is a bit of a pain.  Worth it though.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)