Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supporting people doesn't give you progression during events :(

124»

Comments

• rt40rt40 Member UncommonPosts: 29
    this is a huge issue. there are so many classes that can do sick support for example staff/water/wiz, the healing you can put out is insane. but i have had boss encounters where i didnt event get ANY credit for the kill..... but mostly get bronze/silver.
  • DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I don't think it is just a bug....

In the beta I noticed it in WvW. Particularly when defending towers, I would rez, heal and off on my engi and when the 5 minute timer went down I would get no reward. Not even bronze. I posted about it on their forums, and a Dev responded by saying you need to get kills in order to get credit. So I think to them this may be "working as intended", which is unfortunate.
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Kind of a copout answer, but I guess support has a broader meaning for ArenaNet than just "stand in the back healing, buffing and rezzing."
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by DrWookie
    I don't think it is just a bug....

In the beta I noticed it in WvW. Particularly when defending towers, I would rez, heal and off on my engi and when the 5 minute timer went down I would get no reward. Not even bronze. I posted about it on their forums, and a Dev responded by saying you need to get kills in order to get credit. So I think to them this may be "working as intended", which is unfortunate.

You are correct about the working as intended.  Nothing wrong with what they are doing as we know this isn't a trinity game.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Saying its not a trinity game shouldn't mean it is a "reward whoever spits out the highest DMG and nothing else" game. If I run a build where 50% of what I'm doing is support with no direct DMG, I am dealing 50% less, which equates to less kills, which equals less rewards. That doesn't mean I'm trying to play a trinity game, it just means I'd rather play a little support and still get credit for it.
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Saying its not a trinity game shouldn't mean it is a "reward whoever spits out the highest DMG and nothing else" game. If I run a build where 50% of what I'm doing is support with no direct DMG, I am dealing 50% less, which equates to less kills, which equals less rewards. That doesn't mean I'm trying to play a trinity game, it just means I'd rather play a little support and still get credit for it.

It's wrong to even say that. You don't need to "spit out the highest DMG" in order to be rewarded. It's a threshold thing. Like stated here inumerable times the bar for getting a gold medal is not even high. And yes it is ideal for everyone to play "a little support" than for someone to play "full support".

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

You are just unhappy because you aren't getting YOUR WAY.  Deal with it.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by rt40
    this is a huge issue. there are so many classes that can do sick support for example staff/water/wiz, the healing you can put out is insane. but i have had boss encounters where i didnt event get ANY credit for the kill..... but mostly get bronze/silver.

This is where people stop making sense to me. OK yes, Staff/ Water Ele is a good healer, but you only have 2 pure heals, each on a 20 second and 45 second cooldown. That means you have at least 20 seconds between heals where the only other skills you can use are some form of attack (including one that is an attack + heal, but youre still doing some damage). 

I guess my point is, if youre ONLY sitting back and healing people, youre doing a whole lot of nothing most of the time. You should be mixing your attacks in along with those heals. Not directing that specifically at you, just in general for the people I see who keep talking about playing a pure support / heal role. I cant think of any setup on any class that would actually occupy 100% of your time to the point where youre not also getting off attacks between your support skills. Maybe Engi with healing kit on would come the closest, but even then you have plenty of opportunity to switch out of your kit, attack, then switch back to healing kit while your heals are on cooldown.