Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supporting people doesn't give you progression during events :(

Comments

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by Drachasor

Many of you are not reading my comments here nor on the very link I posted in the OP.

Except there are a ton of people here who aren't having this problem when we do support.  Heck, there's a person who only did support and said he got a gold.

So..eh, from my perspective your concerns seem premature.

not everybody has the issue, but many are. as posted by the comments in the link. Many players dont get credit, even if they played the whole chain of a event line.

this happen to me.

I play with Staff/GS, and still didnt get credit on many times doing different events.

its all about doing a total percentage of damage. not everybody in a large group is going to pull 5% of the total damage when numbers are in the 30s ect.

you dont reach a certain damage percentage you get NO MEDALS no matter how much you attack. Also with that in mind, if the player is more support oriented in their build and play style, thats even less of a chance to get a medal.

Yeah, I looked at the link.  There are hardly any personal testimonials there.  However, there are a lot of people taking their initial comment at face value and assuming it is true.  So most of the talk is centered around that, whether than it is actually true or not.  I notice you don't really have anything to say to the person who came in and said it wasn't true.

Now, maybe rezzing needs to be given some value and it isn't.  Right now that just means you shouldn't spend all of your time rezzing.  You certainly shouldn't be spending none of your time attacking.

The bar for bronze is basically one attack as far as I have seen, because I've literally walked by highly populated events and done basically that and gotten a bronze.

Seems to me like you are largely making a mountain out of a molehill.  This might well only be affected people who spend the vast majority of their time just rezzing others.  Might need some tweaking there, but plenty of us have noted that playing support doesn't make it any harder to get gold.

I think your problem is that you expect to go through events without attacking at all, as you've indicated in several posts.  That's the wrong way to approach the game.  This isn't a Holy Trinity.  You don't do insignificant damage.  You can't spam heals.  So stop acting like an HT healer.

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by compoundcut
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    No doubt, the "perfect" game. image

Agreed.  Doing the right thing doesn't mean you will get credit for it Ponds.

Did you pinch my koala.?               image

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    No doubt, the "perfect" game. image

+1 :)

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384

Many of you are not reading my comments here nor on the very link I posted in the OP.

Except there are a ton of people here who aren't having this problem when we do support.  Heck, there's a person who only did support and said he got a gold.

not everybody has the issue, but many are. as posted by the comments in the link. Many players dont get credit, even if they played the whole chain of a event line.

this happen to me.

I play with Staff/GS, and still didnt get credit on many times doing different events.

its all about doing a total percentage of damage. not everybody in a large group is going to pull 5% of the total damage when numbers are in the 30s ect.

you dont reach a certain damage percentage you get NO MEDALS no matter how much you attack. Also with that in mind, if the player is more support oriented in their build and play style, thats even less of a chance to get a medal.

Yeah, I looked at the link.  There are hardly any personal testimonials there.  However, there are a lot of people taking their initial comment at face value and assuming it is true.  So most of the talk is centered around that, whether than it is actually true or not.  I notice you don't really have anything to say to the person who came in and said it wasn't true.

Now, maybe rezzing needs to be given some value and it isn't.  Right now that just means you shouldn't spend all of your time rezzing.  You certainly shouldn't be spending none of your time attacking.

The bar for bronze is basically one attack as far as I have seen, because I've literally walked by highly populated events and done basically that and gotten a bronze.

Seems to me like you are largely making a mountain out of a molehill.  This might well only be affected people who spend the vast majority of their time just rezzing others.  Might need some tweaking there, but plenty of us have noted that playing support doesn't make it any harder to get gold.

I think your problem is that you expect to go through events without attacking at all, as you've indicated in several posts.  That's the wrong way to approach the game.  This isn't a Holy Trinity.  You don't do insignificant damage.  You can't spam heals.  So stop acting like an HT healer.

wait so you saying 1 attack got you bronze in a high populated event,

but I must not be attacking at all to get no medal? lolimage

trying to make sure I understand you here.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

I'm gonna try testing this too but it's going to be tricky and highly situational. Even if I put down healing springs and group HoTs I'm not guaranteed anything because it depends if my mates (or how many) actually needed healing. Also I'm going to find events where a lot of people die. If I only rezzed 3 or 4, while waiting for my healing and buff skills on CD I'm obviously not as productive as the ones continually DPSing.

On a side note I have always been rezzing and putting down healing sprngs and buffing in an event all while DPSing  and I never fail to get a GOLD. I only get BRONZE when I arrive at the party too late.

I first heard about this on MMOSite.com's "First impression" video. Personally I think this approach to events is in direct conflict with the design. GW2 is trying to remove predefined roles and instead encouraging flexible "role on-the-fly". Assuming a full support role by design is not as productive because you are not making full use of your skillset and the need for your support is highly situational. Everyone can do support, but no one should assume the role of support all throughout.

Yes, this has happened to me several times in events that had 10+ people or so.

And you KEEP mentioning how you aren't attacking at all.  You've said it in multiple posts.  Granted, you've indicated that you don't always never attack, but then again, you don't always get no medal.

Add to that there's only one person in the whole thread who has expressed similar problems, and at least a half dozen who have no idea what you are talking about because they're getting golds.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

this happen to me.

If someone goes into a DE and never swings once standing around waiting to rez people they are playing the game wrong. The entire premise behind this thread is so far from what happens in the game.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

And you KEEP mentioning how you aren't attacking at all.  You've said it in multiple posts.  Granted, you've indicated that you don't always never attack, but then again, you don't always get no medal.

Add to that there's only one person in the whole thread who has expressed similar problems, and at least a half dozen who have no idea what you are talking about because they're getting golds.

so to get no medal you must not be attacking?

not once have I said I never attack.

playing support role doesnt mean never attacking.

I had others in the game also have similar issues of not getting credit for events. No offical forum, so less likely for people to share this issue, But I have.

I had others in the game also have similar issues of not getting credit for events. No offical forum, so less likely for people to share this issue, But I have.

It's a general implication when you act like doing support is opposed to doing damage, when with a ton of support abilities, even a majority, they are one and the same.  You've even mentioned how doing damage is somehow exceptional such in your last long post regarding your friends.

For what it is worth, you still haven't provided any evidence the Devs have said only damage is calculated into providing support.  I did ask for it and somehow has said they have ONLY done non-attacks and gotten credit.

Considering how trivial the effort needed to get a bronze is, I view this with a large grain of salt.

As for forums, the guru forums are the most official ones have been for a long time.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Every fight I dps, crow control and help people resurrect and recover and I almost allways get gold. The wonderful thing is that it's really rewarding to stop and help someone, and I love dps roles. Maybe the issue is that If you just heal or ressurect with time in between where you are less active then that's it.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by SuperDonk
    I'm shocked the OP is playing GW2 after all of the anti-GW2 threads he started, oh wait, I'm not surprised at all. I guess MoP will be the next game he decides to "expose".

Despite these threads, I think he actually likes gw2.  He even pushed to have class forums here ;).  I think he just likes to stir the pot every now and then.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    On a positive this time he just gave a knee jerk reaction post with a bit of dramatics rather than some pointless thread posted for the sake of posting:)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

It's a general implication when you act like doing support is opposed to doing damage, when with a ton of support abilities, even a majority, they are one and the same.  You've even mentioned how doing damage is somehow exceptional such in your last long post regarding your friends.

For what it is worth, you still haven't provided any evidence the Devs have said only damage is calculated into providing support.  I did ask for it and somehow has said they have ONLY done non-attacks and gotten credit.

Considering how trivial the effort needed to get a bronze is, I view this with a large grain of salt.

As for forums, the guru forums are the most official ones have been for a long time.

was posted on the beta forum during the last BWE. Which the forums been closed down so no way to getting to the quotes if I wanted.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/z3hpo/supporting_people_doesnt_give_you_progression_in/

Seem others have noticed this as well. The PvE events are nothing but a mindless DPS race to reach certain percentages of damage before boss goes down or npc dies, to get credit.

Doing things like Rezing, healing, buffing, shielding, cleaning ally during events, aka teamwork, doesn't give credit.

only raw dps is counted towards your contribution .

this is a flawed design, and specifically during events with large number of players.

because the way contribution works, you have to do a PERCENTAGE of RAW DAMAGE to get credit for the fight. But with more people attacking, each player has less chance to reach this dps goal.

And if you doing things like "Support Role" during the fight, it means less time you are doing raw DPS, which leads to lots of moments when you get low contribution for the event, and may get a BRONZE medal

or in many cases, YOU GET NO CREDIT AT ALL 

(MEANING, YOU GET NO EXP/NO KARMA/ NO CURRENCY AT ALL AT THE END OF THE EVENT WHILE PURE DPS PLAYERS ARE GETTING GOLD/SILVER/BRONZE MEDALS)

This seems to be an issue that many people are having, but nothing is being done about it.

Ok I agree with this it is a bit silly, I have known this for a bit mainly because my girlfriend loves to support players during events, buff them, throw out some directed heals, rez others, and we started noticing sometimes she started getting silver even tho she was clearly rezzing people all the way, its a bit shit and needs to be addressed.

Another thing we noticed tho on one of the events was that when we added up the times she rezzed someone ( the xp you get ) + the silver reward the XP reward was actually much much higher than me just dpsing and rezzing the odd guy, now anything else is not giving you contribution which is a bit crap and they should address it, but please dont stop rezzing people it will nearly double your effective XP reward at the end of events especially big events where lots of people die.

That is all!

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

I would care but then i remembered i'm a Warrior, and i'd have to be half afk to not meet any kind of DPS requirements.

I heal people regularly, and am healed after as well. Some people are in it for the game, and not the exp :D

Which i guess is why everybody is just figuring this out lol

Hope it gets fixed for you guys.

Don't be meanies. Help people. You don't need a reward.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by Deathenger

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/z3hpo/supporting_people_doesnt_give_you_progression_in/

Seem others have noticed this as well. The PvE events are nothing but a mindless DPS race to reach certain percentages of damage before boss goes down or npc dies, to get credit.

Doing things like Rezing, healing, buffing, shielding, cleaning ally during events, aka teamwork, doesn't give credit.

this is a flawed design, and specifically during events with large number of players.

because the way contribution works, you have to do a PERCENTAGE of RAW DAMAGE to get credit for the fight. But with more people attacking, each player has less chance to reach this dps goal.

And if you doing things like "Support Role" during the fight, it means less time you are doing raw DPS, which leads to lots of moments when you get low contribution for the event, and may get a BRONZE medal

(MEANING, YOU GET NO EXP/NO KARMA/ NO CURRENCY AT ALL AT THE END OF THE EVENT WHILE PURE DPS PLAYERS ARE GETTING GOLD/SILVER/BRONZE MEDALS)

This seems to be an issue that many people are having, but nothing is being done about it.

When the OP discovered this one I'll guarantee he rubbed his hands together and made an evil villian laugh whilst posting that here.

Anyway, hopefully they get cracking on fixing that. I believe you were suposed to get credit for support as well as DPS.

also i have an example for this on bandit foreman fight last night, i did most of the dmage since he was chasing me allthetime and yet got nothing =) same happenes when you are killing some mob and someone comes along hits for the last 5% health away and picks your loot. me thinks the whole system is broken not just events. and not to mention some chest are already open and dont give you any reward at all. but still im having a blast =)

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by Tardcore
    I'm hearing my house mates bitching about this issue as well. I have to ask, that if this really is a big deal how come we never heard anyone mention it during beta?

They probably did, got reported and a mod deleted it. Can't say bad things about GW2 now can we?

This is utter bullshit.. Anet is actively working with the community.  Not on official forums yet but through twitter and facebook.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by m0lly

When the OP discovered this one I'll guarantee he rubbed his hands together and made an evil villian laugh whilst posting that here.

Anyway, hopefully they get cracking on fixing that. I believe you were suposed to get credit for support as well as DPS.

also i have an example for this on bandit foreman fight last night, i did most of the dmage since he was chasing me allthetime and yet got nothing =) same happenes when you are killing some mob and someone comes along hits for the last 5% health away and picks your loot. me thinks the whole system is broken not just events. and not to mention some chest are already open and dont give you any reward at all. but still im having a blast =)

no idea what game you speak of, but its not possible to killsteal in GW2 ;)

Originally posted by lathaan

no, I believe they are talking about getting kill credit. you attack a mob when its about to die, and sometimes wont get credit because you need to pull off a certain percentage of damage, which you clearly wouldnt in that case,

so no reward.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

I think you've discovered why there is no Trinity in this game. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Noticed it too and it's flawed indeed... They'll need a fix on that soonish... :D

In the meantime, I just put some DOT while I rez someone so my DPS stays continues... lessen, but it's there xD

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by SuperDonk
    I'm shocked the OP is playing GW2 after all of the anti-GW2 threads he started, oh wait, I'm not surprised at all. I guess MoP will be the next game he decides to "expose".

Despite these threads, I think he actually likes gw2.  He even pushed to have class forums here ;).  I think he just likes to stir the pot every now and then.

Look at his forum name he likes get under the skin of an MMO and then brings any perceived problems to light and for many of us that a good thing. If we left it up to some posters around here every MMO released would be mana from heaven.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by lathaan

no, I believe they are talking about getting kill credit. you attack a mob when its about to die, and sometimes wont get credit because you need to pull off a certain percentage of damage, which you clearly wouldnt in that case,

so no reward.

No, he actually described the opposite of that. First case, he was "dealing most of the damage" (dunno how he could gauge that though) but got no credit. Second case, another guy comes along at about 5% mob health of his mob but that guy got loot and he did not. I have never experienced these so they must simply be bugs. Although about the loot system, since loot is not shared by anyone, perhaps it is possible for the mob to drop loot for one guy but not on the other. It's a matter of chance afterall.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

I was told that this is a bug? i got zero contribution today on world event 'Secrets of the swamp'. There were others too no matter how much dps they did..they got nothing.

I believe it is a bug!!

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

erm.. if anyone, or any class, is only supporting without attacking then they must be standing or running about doing nothing for large periods of time. There is no way that any class can constantly fire off support. Inbetween support cooldowns there is plenty of time to attack.

I don't like to tell people how to play something, support as your priority if you like.. but if you arn't attacking as well when your support skills are on cooldown then you are either lazy or simply a very bad GW2 player. Got a lot of people to rez and wanna do that? Nothing stopping you from equipping a ranged weapon and firing off some shots while you are running to the next person to rez, you should be doing this anyway for optimal results.

Plus, getting a gold in an event is so easy it's not even funny. What on earth is there to complain about. I use all my support skills, rez people and attack inbetween and get a gold EVERY time, it's the same for everyone I play with as well (some of which are actually pretty bad gamers). I'm definately not a perfect player either. Success outcome as well I might add. If someone is supporting more than is needed for success then that is their own problem, they are wasting their abilities and are oversupporting when they could be helping with the killing.

Everyone in a event can get a gold, it's not some race to best each other. You don't have to beat the DPS of others to get a gold. I've sometimes hit a champion about 4 times, left the event, traveled pretty far away from it and still got a gold for it when it ends, it's happened more than once. If anything, it's too easy to get a gold.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.