Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Account has been permanently banned

Comments

• yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Yeah I'm sorry to hear this. The AN did say some fansites have been targetted and that the "hackers" themselves got lucky with usernames/passwords from those sites. My recommendation is just buy the $80 version. I know it's a lot to pay $220 to play a game but people were spending MUCH MUCH more upgrading their PCs. 
  • QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by twitch242

I think theres a lesson to be learned from this clip...

...do hope you get things resolved though.

I don't think that is the problem though.

Due to the scope of hacking (from this site alone, many users' GW2 accounts have been comprismised) I would think there is blame with Areanet somewhere.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by yaoming36
    Yeah I'm sorry to hear this. The AN did say some fansites have been targetted and that the "hackers" themselves got lucky with usernames/passwords from those sites. My recommendation is just buy the $80 version. I know it's a lot to pay $220 to play a game but people were spending MUCH MUCH more upgrading their PCs. 

I'm pretty sure they have a human or two that works for the company that can eventually unban him if he proves it.  OP don't rebuy the game.  If it comes to that, don't rebuy tell them to piss off.

• Enok4TwunniEnok4Twunni Member Posts: 207
    Originally posted by twitch242

I think theres a lesson to be learned from this clip...

...do hope you get things resolved though.

funny, yet my passwords are never less than 10 characters with numbers and letters.

• Enok4TwunniEnok4Twunni Member Posts: 207
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    Originally posted by yaoming36

I'm pretty sure they have a human or two that works for the company that can eventually unban him if he proves it.  OP don't rebuy the game.  If it comes to that, don't rebuy tell them to piss off.

i'd say more than piss and i'd never buy a game a second time just to know that it too could be hacked just as easily.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    I guess this is what ArenaNet meant when they said there would be "real world events". Har Har
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Enok4Twunni

So while I'm out working a hacker is obviously using my account to do bad things. I bought the CE why the f*** would I intentionally get banned? I'm livid right now. 

Just got home from work and I log in, this is what it says:

Guild Wars 2 has encountered an error.

Your Guild Wars 2 account has been terminated for engaging in or assisting with gold or item sales for real-world money, which is a breach of the User Agreement and Rules of Conduct. This action is permanent. 

Yay! I spent 150 bucks to play a game I'm now banned from. I'm so fu**ing pissed off. How the hell do I get my account back?

NEVER click any links inside an email,that is the way phising works.

Always go directly to the main site or better yet call them.

Also ask A-Net how these guys are getting your email.

If you did nothing wrong,and this was the first email and you were dumb enough to click it but found out it was legit,then something is seriously wrong with A-Nets security.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Hopefully you learn something about account security.

Yea I have, it's lacking.

Ummmmmmmmm.........your responsible for it, and your right it probably was lacking.

• Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409

Ummmmmmmmm.........your responsible for it, and your right it probably was lacking.

[mod edit]

Enok, you may not realize this but you are harming your own credibility with your hostility. You chose to come here and post in regards to this, and people are trying to offer you assistance. Yet you open with all this hostility.

Accounts have been hacked via various means, some have apparently been comprimised fan sites. Some could simply be brute force. The point is that ANet is working to help people get their accounts back. The problem here might be the approach you are taking, did you use this hostility in your tickets? I myself work in IT with a "Ticket" system, and to be honest of all the guys I work with... a bad attitude in the ticket = Yay! you get to wait a little longer than everyone else. I am not accusing you, nor am I blaming you. We all say things when we are upset, but the best advice I can give is take a deep breath, relax, look over your tickets. Be objective, if you were recieving that ticket, would you be motivated to assist?

Also you may choose to try the customer service line to speak to a person.... I know they are around somewhere and if I can find them I will post them for you, however, remember that hostility begets hostility, if you want something done; try being nice.

My 2 Cents

Averros

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Even without a system to identify and restrict access to money from a different IP address then your original account signup, their support STILL CAN see that this is the case and should reactivate it in no time once you contact them. You should be mad at the gold farmer or at yourself for breeching your own security not Anet, Anet's just protecting everyone else in the game.and themselves. Odd that you were mad at Anet. smh
  • GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

yep a hacker took my gw2 beta account(since I didn't buy the game), and my gw1 account. Customer service has yet to respond to my inquiry.

Seems Arenanet stuff aint too secure.....

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

Oh crap.

Are you certain you were hacked?  Did you receive any password change emails or anything?  It could be a mistake on their part.

Regardless, you should contest the ban by sending a ticket to their customer service.

Account security seems exteremly bad in this game, that and Anet are very trigger happy when it comes to bans.

I got password change requests on my GW account yesterday, i think there is happy hacking going on ^^

Too bad they try to hack me even before i own the game, lmao.

Nevertheless, i think im getting it before christmas because im so curious :P

• ElronirElronir Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Have fun with the poor cs service. Got hacked tuesday, took them 2 days to answer me only to ask some questions about my Guild wars accounts and now I am still waiting... Thankfully, I still have my gw2 retail key unused, so I am only losing my HOM reward and my names if they don't recover my account. While I blame myself for using the same email and the same 2-3 password, I also blame Arenanet poor account security measure. Even the cheapest fp2 games would ask me through my email or , at least, ask me for some personals questions if I "really" want to change my username/password. That's poor planification for such a grand game.
  • Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    I'm pretty happy that I haven't gotten banned yet, but yeah that's terrible. ArenaNet should do more investigating before banning.
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380

I had a blast in beta weekend 3 and have been going back and forth over whether or not to pick this game up during the last few days, but the more I read about the way ANet is handling this launch, the more I think I should wait until they have all the necessary tools and staff in place to deal with operating such a high-population MMO because it really doesn't seem like they were prepared for any of this. I even think the OP has a point that the ban notice is poorly worded and not very professional. Surely, with all the writers they had working on quests and lore, they could get someone to type up a more respectful, tactful notice to present to disciplined players...something like "Access to this account has been revoked for [insert infraction here]. If you feel that this action is unwarranted, please contact Customer Support at [instructions] to discuss your situation with our staff."

I think I may have to hold off on buying this until I start reading that Anet's site and Official Forums are up and running properly, their methods of investigating and responding to misconduct have improved, and some of the launch wrinkles have been ironed out.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

That's a bit unfair, tbh.

If you look at Anet's system, there are currently some glaring holes that make it easy for hackers. For one they tie your account to the same email, didn't build in any security checks for launch, and didn't have much of a live support team standing by just incase. The result is thousands of accounts being comprimized, and Anet is still working out how best to deal w/ it.

I did some poking around, 'cause I'm in the same boat as the OP (except my account hasn't been stolen, just banned). What I found out is that Anet basically blanket banned all accounts that had questionable activity to 'protect the user'. Now, this in & of itself is fine. However, they don't have much of a response team in place for people to varify that they have taken steps to secure their account. What this means is that of the 1000s of banned accounts, there are at least a few 100 people who have their accounts, are innocent, had a few questionable login attempts, and have been waiting for days to resolve the issue. Some people have been waiting 6 days to resolve this. For a AAA MMO that is abyssmal customer service.

- Anet is taking steps to prevent hacking, and is doing their best to correct the issue. However, to say Anet is blameless is a bit ridiculous. They knew they had a hit on their hands, and they are still launching w/ securit & customer support that was only acceptable back in 2004. I wish them luck fixing the issue, but they really need to stop blaming some of these customers like Anet is blameless. I would have more respect for them if they did the mature thing, admitted they messed up, and politely asked people to be patient while they tried to correct their mistake.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by bonzoso21

I think I may have to hold off on buying this until I start reading that Anet's site and Official Forums are up and running properly, their methods of investigating and responding to misconduct have improved, and some of the launch wrinkles have been ironed out.

Might not be a bad idea.

They have done quite a bit to put a lid on the hacking situation (not perfect, but it definitely is helping). The main issue is they have kinda screwed over a lot of loyal fans by blanket banning a lot of accounts. They really need to have a larger live support staff, that is open 7 days a week, instead of (i think its 3days?). Not only are their hours a bit absurd, but they make it way too difficult to get in contact with an actual person.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Either you used the same password for GW2 as you did for some other site, or you have a keylogger.  If they try to change your password you get an email notification that requires you to click a link.  Whether the email notifications are real or fakes I don't know, I got two myself the other day sayting that I requested a password change and I deleted them emediately.

However, from what you've written it doesn't sound like they changed your password, which means they got it somehow.  keylogger or you used the same one someplace else.  In which case, that's your fault.

Your account getting banned is actually good.  If you can't get into it, they can't either.  If you weren't buying gold from a 3rd party group, and your issue is legit, then I hope that you can get it sorted out.  But it is the internet, so nothing personal, I ust don't trust the "I got banned for nothing" stuff; seen it way to many times from people who were in fact cheating.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

To the OP- If you havent talked to a live person yet, or sent an email please, please, PLEASE remember to try and be calm a polite when dealing with them.

You can see that your account has been hacked, because someone is logging in from different locations, its not NCSofts/ArenaNets fault.

But if you rage on the person on the other end, and I might add, the person who youre going to ask help from they will be less inclined to help you. Be calm, be polite, be adamant that you didnt do these things, but dont rage, either in emails or talking to them.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by Psychow

Log onto MMORPG.com and rage. That usually works best.

Oh nevermind, you already did that. Ok, second course of action would be to contact them. But ONLY after you rage on MMORPG.com's forums!!

He could always go rage on GW2 official forums ... o wait 

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by bonzoso21

I had a blast in beta weekend 3 and have been going back and forth over whether or not to pick this game up during the last few days, but the more I read about the way ANet is handling this launch, the more I think I should wait until they have all the necessary tools and staff in place to deal with operating such a high-population MMO because it really doesn't seem like they were prepared for any of this. I even think the OP has a point that the ban notice is poorly worded and not very professional. Surely, with all the writers they had working on quests and lore, they could get someone to type up a more respectful, tactful notice to present to disciplined players...something like "Access to this account has been revoked for [insert infraction here]. If you feel that this action is unwarranted, please contact Customer Support at [instructions] to discuss your situation with our staff."

That is what I'm doing. I'm looking for a polished experience.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Are accounts really being hacked alot in GW2?
  • teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Teala

No.

Its probably more than any other release, but not as bad as WoW.  There is definitely a very active campaign by hackers to get accounts, but as far as I know no one in my guild of over 400 people has been hacked, which proves nothing ultimately but people, as usual, are blowing things out of proportion.

Arenanet could have taken better measures at launch, but your odds of getting hacked if you are cautious about that sort of thing are pretty damn cose to zero.

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by teakbois
    Originally posted by Teala

No.

Its probably more than any other release, but not as bad as WoW.  There is definitely a very active campaign by hackers to get accounts, but as far as I know no one in my guild of over 400 people has been hacked, which proves nothing ultimately but people, as usual, are blowing things out of proportion.

Arenanet could have taken better measures at launch, but your odds of getting hacked if you are cautious about that sort of thing are pretty damn cose to zero.

400 man guild. Sounds like teamlegacy.

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275
    You start by not asking here and asking ANET.