Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The MMORPG to end all MMORPGs.

Comments

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by varrius
    Originally posted by Zekiah

In three months everyone will be off chasing the next "savior" and the next one to "end all MMORPGs".

History is a difficult thing to learn from if you're not paying attention.

WoW was a savior for a while to many.   Guild Wars 2 is along those lines.   For example, when is the last time you've heard of a game banning sales, due to too many players? 

Only on games that released with too few servers because they don't see the population being sustainable. Or is 1 Million just crazy OMG too many for a MMO?

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    I enjoy playing GW2 a lot...A LOT.... but i am getting tired of topics like these.
  • WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by Psychow

In three months everyone will be off chasing the next "savior" and the next one to "end all MMORPGs".

WoW was a savior for a while to many.   Guild Wars 2 is along those lines.   For example, when is the last time you've heard of a game banning sales, due to too many players? 

Only on games that released with too few servers because they don't see the population being sustainable. Or is 1 Million just crazy OMG too many for a MMO?

You must be a hater. (kidding haha, i seen yours and distopia's conversation).

But seriously, 1 mill was pre-purchases. PRE purchases. So that's 1 mil by launch day, who else bought it after. not trying to go total rabid fanboi on you, but if the company sold 1 mil by launch, and people are *claiming* stores are sold out in the UK, as well as some palces in the US. Another million isn't far fetched.

Not saying 2 million is zomg a ton of people, but it is a lot of people.

I think they need to make new servers personally, otherwise que times will go up farther and farther.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

They didn't ban sales.  They stopped selling the game digitally themselves due to the stress on their servers all the downloads caused.  You can still buy the game from others.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

WoW was not a savior but instead it was the first for many. GW2 is just fresh and new, will this last only time will tell.

GW2 is not the only game to have such amount player at launch. Swotor had a very big launch too.

swotor had 1 million subscribers within three days of its launch, making it the world's 'Fastest-Growing MMO Ever at the time. And the launch was smooth they didnt have to stop the sell cause they servers wasnt ready.

Now we all know what happen and swotor goes f2p.

GW2 is a solid game but for me it is no more no less.

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218

I agree with the OP. This is as close too DAOC I will ever get. It's actually the perfect MMO, I wouldn't change a single thing. Fanboi or not this is better than any MMO on the market right now. They got rid of all the bullshit and added on some cool shit. If they just sort out the queues and server balance in WvWvW this game will last me atleast 3-4 years if not more due too tournaments and the e-sport aspect of the game.

The rating here on MMORPG.com speaks for itself too. Over 9 in ratio, I imagine that number will continue to increase.
  • MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Well, it's great you're enjoying GW2 so much OP. After all, taste is just a personall thing. If you feel that way about this mmo, than more power to you. I think it's way to early to start with this level of exciment but, if you feel you got your money's worth and if you feel like this in a few month, even better.

Myself, i tried the game in beta. I like what i saw, and what i saw was a good, polished, very well made themeparkl mmorpg with a good levelign experience in terms of exploring, questing, combat, etc that, IMO will be fun for 2 or 3 months, level up some alts, do some pvp, and then end, like other themeparks, but, as i've stated on other threads, i find it th best of the lot.

However, it is by no means, to me, the "mmorpg to end of all mmorpg".

I agree with your points about fun and immersion (when i'm not being taken into a damm lobby for pvp), but i found no innovation. As i said, a well made themepark that felt similar in it's core to the other mmos. And it defenatly does not offer what many players, including myself, asked for.

And regarding the business model. As long as it's not P2W and not insanely expensive, i don't care how much i pay, as long as it's an actually awesome, innovative and unique mmorpg that obviously, fits my tastes.

BTW, and some people still say only haters and trolls call GW2 the second coming or the messiah. I really don't get why people can't just wait a month before making these claims. Oh well, praise the MMO jesus i guess.

Originally posted by MMOwanderer

Well, it's great you're enjoying GW2 so much OP. After all, taste is just a personall thing. If you feel that way about this mmo, than more power to you. I think it's way to early to start with this level of exciment but, if you feel you got your money's worth and if you feel like this in a few month, even better.

Myself, i tried the game in beta. I like what i saw, and what i saw was a good, polished, very well made themeparkl mmorpg with a good levelign experience in terms of exploring, questing, combat, etc that, IMO will be fun for 2 or 3 months, level up some alts, do some pvp, and then end, like other themeparks, but, as i've stated on other threads, i find it th best of the lot.

However, it is by no means, to me, the "mmorpg to end of all mmorpg".

I agree with your points about fun and immersion (when i'm not being taken into a damm lobby for pvp), but i found no innovation. As i said, a well made themepark that felt similar in it's core to the other mmos. And it defenatly does not offer what many players, including myself, asked for.

And regarding the business model. As long as it's not P2W and not insanely expensive, i don't care how much i pay, as long as it's an actually awesome, innovative and unique mmorpg that obviously, fits my tastes.

BTW, and some people still say only haters and trolls call GW2 the second coming or the messiah. I really don't get why people can't just wait a month before making these claims. Oh well, praise the MMO jesus i guess.

For PVP lovers this is the best thing since sliced bread. Too me sPVP is as addicting as counterstrike was for me back in the day. And WvWvW is icing on the cake. If you don't care for PVP all that much I can understand your standpoint.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I think I need help on the "immersion" side. So far I haven't really felt immersed. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but to me it just feels like a lot of running arround and waiting for something to happen. I don't have any sense of purpose for doing these events that I stumble into.  I'll keep playing, maybe it'll finally click for me.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Icewhite

I think your reaction to this game is as personal as any other game.  Bound to be bunches of people who aren't happy with it, same as every other title.  The op's praise is over the top, just as most of the criticisms are.

Will not miss the griefers though, that much is for certain.  The other titles are welcome to keep them.

EVE online, send all your griefers to us.  We thrive on them.  image

For a variety of valid reasons I'll have to respectfully disagree with the OP's assessment, GW2 might be a great game, but it's certainly not the last word in MMORPG's, at least for some of us.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• reef22reef22 Member UncommonPosts: 85

First of all, I'm a fan of A-Net, GW 1 and now GW 2.  I've been playing GW 1 since the beginning.  And I would pretty much buy any games come out of A-Net.  I also have played almost every other big name mmo out there.  That being said...

I don't believe there will ever be a MMO game that will be the be all and end all.

There is no such thing as "Perfect MMO".  Everyone is going to find something they don't like about the game.  I don't believe there will ever be one game that everyone will just love.  That will never ever happen, period.

Aion got all the hypes and didn't turn out to be "THE" game.

FFXIV got all the hypes and didn't either.

SWTOR got all the hypes and we all know what it...

TSW got all the hypes and still no...

Tera, Rift, etc, etc.  And now the up and coming ones like Archage, Neverwinter or even Elder Scroll.  I don't believe any of them will be "THE" MMO.   It's just not possible.

GW 2 is a good and solid game.  Personally I believe it lived up to the hype.  And it's going to stay around for at least 6 years since GW 1 last this long, I'm sure GW 2 will last even longer.  

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

It's pretty much what i thought. 

I think I like how I have to think absoultely differnetly to play this game.  Things are difficult where they are suppose to. I am not just sitting there and pushing the same macro or rotation.  

i love how my wife loves the game and she plays a completel ydifferent way than i do.  

I love how my dear friend loves this game and she's not a gamer. She's hated other mmos.   She's a free spirit she loves the idea of going around and doing things and not feeling like she has to compete wit h everyone.  

As Lil Wayne says, haters gon hate, nose bleed seats.  

If you dont like the game ,you just hate teh game. If youre a fan of another game youre a fan.  But you can't say this game doesnt do a lot of things just plain differently and it's refreshing.  There isnt another mmo that actually involves around people working together. Even in games where you're on the same side, you're always fighting with everyone for resources, killing mobs, nodes, quest completions.  

GW2 got it right.  Big dragons are attacking, everyone has bigger fish to fry. 

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

I think I need help on the "immersion" side. So far I haven't really felt immersed. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but to me it just feels like a lot of running arround and waiting for something to happen. I don't have any sense of purpose for doing these events that I stumble into.  I'll keep playing, maybe it'll finally click for me.

Are you doing your personal story as well? I'm a bit behind on mine but it may give a little more reasoning behind your surroundings.  Personally I feel immersed when travelling around and completing hearts DEs because they flow pretty well IMO.  I'm in a little villiage and the next thing I know centaurs start attacking.  Hopefully it clicks for you.

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

A great mmo will not launch without a monthly fee. Whenever you hear about a game being F2P or B2P, you know it's 2nd tier/garbage with no long term value.

That's why mmos like swtor transition to F2P once they realize their game is a failure. They'd love to collect monthly fees but no is willing to pay. GW2 basically saved themselves the embarassment and just scrapped the sub fee from the start.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Fratman

A great mmo will not launch without a monthly fee. Whenever you hear about a game being F2P or B2P, you know it's 2nd tier/garbage with no long term value.

That's why mmos like swtor transition to F2P once they realize their game is a failure. They'd love to collect monthly fees but no is willing to pay. GW2 basically saved themselves the embarassment and just scrapped the sub fee from the start.

lol wow.. i know everyone has opinions but yea...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ArteanArtean Member UncommonPosts: 215
    GW2 is only innovative from a very narrow perspective seen with your WoW glasses on. This genre has so much more to offer if only devs would dare to think more 'world' and less 'game'. 

When in doubt, troll.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

It's pretty easy to back up my statement. Show be one F2P or B2P mmo that's good and has people logging in for 6 months or year after release?

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375

I agree with this.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Fratmam

It's pretty easy to back up my statement. Show be one F2P or B2P mmo that's good and has people logging in for 6 months or year after release?

Gw1?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

OP is trolling.  

Quoted from yesterday -

"Will Guild Wars 2 pass the Trial by Fire?

I am beginning to see how this game isn't as revolutionary as everyone thinks.    Everyone is excited about having a new game, something different.   But as I look at these features, I feel as though they will not pass the test, they are merely 'new' things in a game but are not the proper revolutionary changes we need, to keep interest.

Sure, people will continue to play it - likely until Mists of Pandaria comes out, but..   I think we will soon see what I like to call "Launch-Fever" wear off.  

As this reality becomes more apparent and the medication that is boredom wears on your "launch-fever" we will all see that Guild Wars 2 is really falling very, very short of our expectation."

You've changed your tune OP.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Distopia

Gw1?

^.. even if you can say gw1 technically wasn't a MMO i'd like you to tell me another f2p or B2P or P2P MMO with this size and scope at release.. ill save you the hassle there hasn't been one

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

OP is trolling.  

Quoted from yesterday -

"Will Guild Wars 2 pass the Trial by Fire?

I am beginning to see how this game isn't as revolutionary as everyone thinks.    Everyone is excited about having a new game, something different.   But as I look at these features, I feel as though they will not pass the test, they are merely 'new' things in a game but are not the proper revolutionary changes we need, to keep interest.

Sure, people will continue to play it - likely until Mists of Pandaria comes out, but..   I think we will soon see what I like to call "Launch-Fever" wear off.  

As this reality becomes more apparent and the medication that is boredom wears on your "launch-fever" we will all see that Guild Wars 2 is really falling very, very short of our expectation."

You've changed your tune OP.

I agree with this, also.

Gw1?

GW1 is a lobby game/co-op instance grinder. I wouldn't consider it an mmo. I also wouldn't consider it good.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Gw1?

GW1 is a lobby game/co-op instance grinder. I wouldn't consider it an mmo. I also wouldn't consider it good.

Whatever you want to call it ( I personally call it MMO-lite) it was highly successful, and people still log-in many years later.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson