Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

R.I.P CoH.. very sad shut down

12346»

Comments

• srmalloysrmalloy Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    I wonder how this Bodes for Aion

The game which experienced 'disappointing performance' due to a lower than expected number of microtransactions? Apparently even the 'C.U.B.E' pay-to-win setup wasn't enough to rescue it.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

A few weeks ago on Freedom there were about ~200 on the Villain side, I don't remember the Hero side but I logged in today and there were only 43-50 people on each side. Looks like the news of closing down ran off the remaining players.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by sookster54

A few weeks ago on Freedom there were about ~200 on the Villain side, I don't remember the Hero side but I logged in today and there were only 43-50 people on each side. Looks like the news of closing down ran off the remaining players.

That is what happened with SWG. Before the closure announcement there was 4 FULL servers, then the day after the closure announcement all servers were dead.

People just do not spend time playing a soon to be dead game, and the free (non VIP) accounts are useless as can not buy points to progress, which makes the game virtually unplayable. Either they need to allow people to buy subs or points again, or make everything in the shop cost 0 points.

With the game being F2P and GW2 being released there is more reason not to have a sub, and play both for free, and with GW2 just beinbg released, people would be spending more time on that. Now when they get tired of GW2, they now no longer have their favourite game to come back to. The timing of the closure stinks

Better yet, abort the closure, and resume things back to normal/

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

rest in peace paragon city and rogue isles.   I have very fond memories of this game, played it for five years and the only bad thing I can ever say is Jack Emmert screwed the game up in issue 5 or 6 in my not so humble opinion.  maybe it was better for the balance but quite frankly it sucked what was done to the playerbase.

i love superheroes and the game but imo it never recovered from that horrible blunder.  the best thing they did was get rid of jack and cryptic but by then it was too late.  maybe we will see a rebirth with city of heroes 2.  updated graphics and for them to actually implement a endgame from the start.  I know I will be there if it happens to resume fighting evil in paragon city.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by hardicon
    rest in peace paragon city and rogue isles.   I have very fond memories of this game, played it for five years and the only bad thing I can ever say is Jack Emmert screwed the game up in issue 5 or 6 in my not so humble opinion.  maybe it was better for the balance but quite frankly it sucked what was done to the playerbase. i love superheroes and the game but imo it never recovered from that horrible blunder.  the best thing they did was get rid of jack and cryptic but by then it was too late.  maybe we will see a rebirth with city of heroes 2.  updated graphics and for them to actually implement a endgame from the start.  I know I will be there if it happens to resume fighting evil in paragon city.
    No I think issue 5 was needed, pre issue 5 it was fun but it was also dumb to see Defenders dominate you even damage-wise and whatnot, post issue 5 the challenge was there and made stuff like Scrappers fun and made you think rather than spam and zerg.

Issue 11 however was uncalled for, Lighthouse publicy admitting they changed pvp to cater to the nubs that can't stand players superspeeding/flying away and hopping around (hence why they changed it to snare on every attack/heal cast), that single handidly killed active pvp, Siren's Call and Recluse's Victory became ghost towns.

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335
    oh i agree in hindsight it was probably needed.  just the way jack handled it was poor imo.  wholesale nerfing of every character class from superheroes to barely heroes, then saying there will be no more nerfs and very next patch enhancement diversification which was essentially another nerf.  the game had a ton of players back then and was very alive but after those two patches and with wow gaining alot of steam at the time, game lost alot of players over those two patches.  pvp always felt tacked on because jack thought the game needed it, which it might have but it needed it done right.  it was a great game imo ruined by the company.  the arrogance of jack emmert is amazing, i think he believes he should be worshipped as a GOD for allowing us to play his games. 
  • MoriousMorious Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

[mod edit]

Yeah, that's classic NC Soft.

So let's see...

Lineage in the west

Auto Assault

Tabula Rasa

Dungeon Runners

Edit: Exteel

and now CoX

I was actually pist at the plug pulling of a such a short lived game as Tabula Rasa was. I had literally started the night before they pulled it and came back the next day cause I was enjoying it just come back to >GONE<.

i think of how awesome CoX was the last one to survive them all though. Such a great game that I thought I was gonna die playing it. 

F U N C Soft

• BegglyBeggly Member Posts: 37
    Very sad to see CoX shutting down.  This comes as a shock, as recent posts have all seemed to indicate things are going well.  I really feel that this is a mistake on the part of the parent company, and like many others, I will think two or three times before even considering another game from these guys.  I've been in CoX since I3 and I really consider it my favorite game.  Ah well, more to for Everquest, I guess.  I'll miss this terribly, though.
  • eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334
    Ahh man I played COH religiously for years and years, So many good times in COH, the game has been around so long its like one of those games that started what we know today as themepark.   Theres not a day that goes by that I dont think about all the good times I had in game. You know we've always shared things, COH and me, its like Iv played alot of new mmos and It was always fun chating with COH people about all the cool new mmos and stuff and other COH players would do the same with me.  ITs like a part of my heart is taken and just pulled out.