Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

R.I.P CoH.. very sad shut down

Comments

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

Well that is sad.

I really enjoyed the game until they introduced player created content. That is what killed the game for me.

RIP COH

• brackatchabrackatcha Member Posts: 24

First MMO I ever played, played sporadically until my NCSOFT account was hacked. Never went back.

Sad to see it go..but the game was dated.

I am downloading GW2 as we speak so cheers

• PermianPermian Member CommonPosts: 78

Feeling sad today at this news, feel sorry for the people at Paragon Studios.

That is the third time I have been bitten by NCSoft although the "writing on the wall" was more clearly apparent for Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa. Both those games had promise but they both launched with too many problems to get loyal players. City of Heroes/Villains was at the other extreme! Polished, better today than it ever was and only getting better. Players were buzzing and excited and looking forward to what was coming out of Paragon Studio. Such a shame.

I wish NCSoft had sold Paragon Studios and City of Heroes/Villains to someone instead of closing.

Ah well. A very sad day.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Didn't expect this one.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Even though I haven't played the game in some time, this saddens me. I had so much fun with CoX over the years. I basically 'raised' my nephew in MMOG gaming via CoX. He'll be sad to hear it's going too.

I'd like to say best wishes to all the great developers at Paragon. CoX is without a doubt the best 'super hero' MMOG out there. Others have tried, and they have all failed. I hope you guys and gals can take this as a jumping off point to try something new and exciting. :)

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515
    I have been avoiding posting and enjoying all the sad trolling attempts now that it is proving to be a success, but in light of this terrible news I feel I also feel compelled to speak up for coh. I always felt that it was one of the better mmo's on the market. It deserves better than this.
  • RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Originally posted by Aviggin
    Originally posted by Rednecksith
    Originally posted by cyress8
    [mod edit]

Cannot blame them if the game was losing money.  Hell, I tried to come back myself, but the game is just too old now.  I bet you don't even play the game and just reacting because it was NCSoft.

I played the game for two years after it launched (still have the box somewhere), and subbed sporadically afterwards (when in between other games). All indications were that the game had a healthy population and was doing quite well.

The only reason given for this shutdown is, "We're changing the company focus. So all you loyal supporters and players can go fuck yourselves."

Sorry, but I feel I have a right to be upset at a company shutting down an MMO for no good reason (given, at least).

You are right about one thing though: I DO hate NCSoft. They're the EA of South Korea.

This is actually 100% accurate. They never gave a specific reason for closing it down, other than that they're "changing focus". They never said it wasn't making money -- it just probably wasn't making as much money as they wanted to warrant the hassle of keeping the team together to continue producing content.

Exactly! If the game wasn't making money that's one thing. I'd still be upset, but a lot more understanding. This announcement however just came completely out of left field.

I will say that after this I certainly won't be giving NCSoft any more money. Such a shame, because Lineage Eternal looks pretty good. Oh well.

Edit: The most damnable misery of the whole thing is that NCSoft will most likely just sit on the IP until people completely forget about it, rather than sell it off or release the source code to open the way for private servers. Just like Tabula Rasa and Auto Assault. Selfish, greedy bastards.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    They are shuttign it down after 8 years of service?The MONSTERS!!!
  • WindlionWindlion Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Played coh since beta very sad news didnt expect it at all I now offcailly hate ncsoft they have no idea what there doing. and the funny thing is they dont even give us a good explanation Im really sick of these company's and there horrble mismangment.
  • NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Sorry if my last post seemed a bit disjointed. On my cell phone at work atm.
  • spitfire1064spitfire1064 Member Posts: 61
    This seems very odd to me, They said that Paragon studios were shutting down.....not City of heroes. seems like there is more to come maybe?
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    An other title (originally) not made by NCSoft or it's subsidiaries. My bet is that everyone with an active sub now will get a free beta invite for WildStar. Much like they did when TR went down and every active subscriber got a free Aion DDE package...
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by spitfire1064
    This seems very odd to me, They said that Paragon studios were shutting down.....not City of heroes. seems like there is more to come maybe?

'...all development on City of Heroes will cease and we will begin preparations to sunset the world's first, and best, Super Hero MMORPG before the end of the year.

We will have more information regarding a detailed timeline for the cessation of services and what you can expect in game in the coming weeks.'

Dosen't seem like it. :/

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I dont know this one seemed to just come outside of left field.. imo its still the best superhero MMO there is, hard to believe really, i really didnt think the game was doing badly..  sad to see this one go.. really is. image
  • Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Originally posted by spitfire1064

To sunset a game is to shut it down in the gaming world/developer's terms.  For those that have never experienced it before.

• Sanctus_MorsSanctus_Mors Member Posts: 597

I was very disheartened when I heard this. Although I have not played CoH in awhile, for many years I was a long time poster on this form. I met a lot of good friends in CoH, I still maintain contact with them even though we have moved onto other games.

CoH was the game that I always enjoyed. That I wanted to share my enthusiam for with others.

This monkey is sad.

your arguement is so persuasive, so filled with knowledge and insight. You back up your argument very articulately, with suggestions of improvements and raising examples to glorify your position....oh wait, you didn't

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    [mod edit]

Yeah, that's classic NC Soft.

So let's see...

Lineage in the west

Auto Assault

Tabula Rasa

Dungeon Runners

Edit: Exteel

and now CoX

If by 'classic' you mean 'giving a game every chance before pulling the plug' then I agree.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    They are shuttign it down after 8 years of service?The MONSTERS!!!

There are mmorpgs that are even older and that are still up and running. More skeleton, yes, but not shuting down.

But the truly "horrible" part is the fact that they gave no clear reason. They drop the news like that out of nowhere, and all they say is that NCSoft is "realining focus".

To me, that reads like "COH wasn't make enough money for us, so now we're going to shut it down to milk the living hell out of Guild Wars2"

It's a huge middle finger to the entire community by NC to not give them a clear explanation. We know the company is facing finacial problems and is in the red and are banking on GW2 to save them. Fine. If COH wasn't profitable, then it's understandable to close it.

But the problem is that they say nothing. I'm not even playing, but just go to the forums. Everyone's angry at the silence and for a good reason.

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I tried it way back when. The character creation was a blast, the rest...not so much.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Aviggin
    Originally posted by cyress8
    [mod edit]

Cannot blame them if the game was losing money.  Hell, I tried to come back myself, but the game is just too old now.  I bet you don't even play the game and just reacting because it was NCSoft.

I played the game for two years after it launched (still have the box somewhere), and subbed sporadically afterwards (when in between other games). All indications were that the game had a healthy population and was doing quite well.

The only reason given for this shutdown is, "We're changing the company focus. So all you loyal supporters and players can go fuck yourselves."

Sorry, but I feel I have a right to be upset at a company shutting down an MMO for no good reason (given, at least).

You are right about one thing though: I DO hate NCSoft. They're the EA of South Korea.

This is actually 100% accurate. They never gave a specific reason for closing it down, other than that they're "changing focus". They never said it wasn't making money -- it just probably wasn't making as much money as they wanted to warrant the hassle of keeping the team together to continue producing content.

Exactly! If the game wasn't making money that's one thing. I'd still be upset, but a lot more understanding. This announcement however just came completely out of left field.

I will say that after this I certainly won't be giving NCSoft any more money. Such a shame, because Lineage Eternal looks pretty good. Oh well.

Edit: The most damnable misery of the whole thing is that NCSoft will most likely just sit on the IP until people completely forget about it, rather than sell it off or release the source code to open the way for private servers. Just like Tabula Rasa and Auto Assault. Selfish, greedy bastards.

So that means that you won't be buying anything from Guild Wars'2 item mall and no expansions/content packs?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    [mod edit]

Yeah, that's classic NC Soft.

So let's see...

Lineage in the west

Auto Assault

Tabula Rasa

Dungeon Runners

Edit: Exteel

and now CoX

If by 'classic' you mean 'giving a game every chance before pulling the plug' then I agree.

Are you saying they gave Tabula Rasa and Auto Assault "every chance"?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

CoX was my 1st MMO and it will always hold a special place im my heart. I stopped playing  a few years ago but it was a good six year run of the game with the best teaming system around. TR was my fav so I know how the players must feel but with GW2, Wildstar and Lineage on the horizon, CoX was looking a bit worn. I'm surprised as well because the times I've been on recently it was always looked pretty busy.  I'm sorry to say but the only way you'll find out the real reason why it closed is when an ex-emplyee spill the beans. I expect the reasons will be more prosaic that we wish but NCsoft does not dwell on the past.

RIP CoX

and TR

and AA

and DR

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

If you think the game was highly profitable and yet they'd shut it down you are kidding yourself.

No company wants to come out and say their product wasn't paying for itself, they almost always use something along the lines of "restructuring" or "refocusing". Those are just typical industry terms the same way that sunsetting means closing.

No company shuts down something that is very profitable, plain and simple. It means the game was just barely breaking even so estimates were it would be in the red by the end of the year so they're shutting down based on that (a very very typical business move) or the game is already losing money so they're shutting it down. Based on the abruptness of the announcement, I would guess it was already losing money. If the margins were down to even and on their way to being losing, they probably would have come out more gently with simply saying the game would shut down at the end of the year and then follow that announcement with a closing of the studio etc.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

So that means that you won't be buying anything from Guild Wars'2 item mall and no expansions/content packs?

I'm really debating that right now, TBH. One one hand most of that money will go to Arenanet... but on the other, some of it will end up in NCSoft's pockets.

Of course, this assumes I'll be playing GW2 after the shininess has worn off.

I definitely won't be buying any of their new games though. Which sucks, because that means no WildStar either :(

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Definitely, definitely sad.  I can't say much, as I haven't played since around the time they first went F2P, but I was under the impression it was at least doing better than Champions Online. 

Then again, maybe it was.  NCSoft would be a Company that would close down even a good, marginally profitable game.  Hell... Dungeon Runners was probably being developed by interns to run on old pentium II laptops for servers, and they still killed that.  20 players probably could've supported it.

DCUO lacks content, CO's a klunkfest, but CoX was, while a bit slow moving, a game with solid customization and a ton of content.  Just seems a shame to hit the DEL button on all that work.