Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Might Purchase but need to know

RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

This is not a troll post...Im seriously considering buying the game.  I just have some questions.

- Holy Trinity out the door - Im not comfortable with this idea....last game to try this (Champions Online) wasn't successful in implementing it.

How does GW2 make it fun?  What would be the reason to re-roll if you can be any class anytime (if this is the case)?

- PVE - I know this is a pvp game.  But how is the PVE?  I like MMO's for PVE and want to make sure that the PVE is engaging and won't feel too grindy or repetitive

that's it...my 2 concerns...I think they are reasonable concerns.  Please stay away trolls...Im actually looking for real feedback :)

Comments

• ScarlyngScarlyng Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Originally posted by Randayn

This is not a troll post...Im seriously considering buying the game.  I just have some questions.

- Holy Trinity out the door - Im not comfortable with this idea....last game to try this (Champions Online) wasn't successful in implementing it.

How does GW2 make it fun?  What would be the reason to re-roll if you can be any class anytime (if this is the case)?

- PVE - I know this is a pvp game.  But how is the PVE?  I like MMO's for PVE and want to make sure that the PVE is engaging and won't feel too grindy or repetitive

that's it...my 2 concerns...I think they are reasonable concerns.  Please stay away trolls...Im actually looking for real feedback :)

1) People are still adjusting to "no holy trinity."  I see a lot of rezzing going on in fights with Champions (think Boss).  I expect people to get better at no dying.  I know I have.  Fwiw, I played CO and had a higher opinion of wolfpack tactics than you do.  Perhaps it was who I played with.  Pug and ugly have letters in common for a reason.

1a) GW2 makes "no holy trinity" fun because every player has choices.  Some characters have more ability to heal than others, and slotting skills and/or weapons that allow for healing is a choice not everyone will make.  Gear and traits can also buff damage, crits, survivability and healing.  Why play different classes?  My main is a defense specced warrior that can survive a lot.  She plays very differently from my thief. necromancer and elementalist.

2) I find the PVE to be amazing.  The game is more immersive than any MMO I've played, period.  I've played in massive battles with nearly a hundred allies, and faced threats alone or with one or two others.  When things are quiet, I run around exploring and harvesting crafting materials.  Sooner or later something happens.

Yoiur mileage may vary, but the risk is low, as the box price is the same as a SP RPG.  Those usually provide 40-50 hours of gameplay, and GW2 has already given me more than that, and I have only done about 10% of the map.

Whatever you decide, good hunting.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

• 1.  Different professions (classes) have different play styles.  While it's true everyone gets access to dps and support each one does it differently.

2.  The game has content for everyone.  Personally I think the most love and attention went into the PVE part of the game.  Each of the racial starting areas is difrerent including their cities.  Crafting is viable at all levels.  Lore is available throughout the world if you want to go find it.  Personal Story is good (though I find I like some of the races better than others).

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

Thanks for the feedback!  So you choose a class regardless, but you can spec anyway you want, I take it?  So do you think that dungeons will bring out the "holy trinity" in things, or will it be a 5 man zerg?  That's my biggest worry with no trinity.  I love tanking....it's something I always do in every MMO...don't want to know that that's been taken away.

Glad to hear the PVE is awesome!  Im sold on that part!  Thanks

• TomBaker_fanTomBaker_fan Member Posts: 131

PVE is among the best I have ever seen. The dynamic quests are so much fun, and people actually work together because you don't have to worry about getting the first shot in for XP. Everyone gets XP as long as you hit once. I see other games adopting this as it is a huge hit.

The community is fun and alive, not a lot of trolls because Anet has zero tolerance for griefers.

As far as the lack of the holy trinity, I have not done a dungeon yet, but am curious to see how it works out. Open world bosses seem to go OK with guardians taking alot of the aggro, very tank like in that respect.

Also your level is adjusted to whatever zone you go in as long as it is lower. So if you are level 25, and go to a level 9 event, you will scale down to 9 and get the xp for it. Makes grouping a lot of fun. Our guild is constantly doing things together no matter what the level.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

1) Havent done a dugeon yet (hitting 30 today so I get to!)  From what my guild members said, it takes some getting used to, here's waht he said:

"The "no trinity" approach is imediatly noticable with the first pull. It's like, ok X is a warrior he's gonna always have aggro or be able to pull it right?...nope. That took some getting use to. Everyone has to be mindful of aggro at all times. Nobody gets to just sit back and heal or stand at range and just dps. I do feel that it would have been equally as difficult with any group combo. Knowing your class and teamwork will be the key to success imo."

alts are rolled for different race personal stories, and vastly different class mechanics

2) pve is very good, easily stands next to any other MMO's pve.  One of the better ideas, imo, is that you are scaled down in level to match the range of the area you are in, you you will never be vastly overpowered in any single area.  So you could go and do all the starting areas and still be able to advance, since the xp is kinda relative as well.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

I think rumors of the trinity's demise are greatly exaggerated. You will find it in this game if you don't have your blinder's on.

The PvE can feel grindy at times but is still refreshing from grabbing a bunch of quests and knocking them all off. If you repeat the same DE's you will probably get bored.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

Thanks for the feedback!  So you choose a class regardless, but you can spec anyway you want, I take it?  So do you think that dungeons will bring out the "holy trinity" in things, or will it be a 5 man zerg?  That's my biggest worry with no trinity.  I love tanking....it's something I always do in every MMO...don't want to know that that's been taken away.

You won't be able to "tank" the same way you can in most "holy trinity" MMOs but a Mace&Shield Warrior specced for Defense and Survival is a beast. You'll have Stuns, Interrupts, and Blocks (temporary invulnerability) to keep you alive, but you will also have to Dodge big attacks as well.

You will have no Taunt so there is no way to keep Mobs focused on you and only you, and honestly that's a good thing because you won't have enough abilities to stay in going toe-to-toe with the Group Boss mobs for the whole fight. Others will step in and then when you have healed yourself back up and your abilities are off cool-down you can step back in (while recovering you can either reposition yourself behind the Boss and melee or switch to a ranged weapon to continue DPS... it's not like you won't be doing anything).

Combat in this game can be very tactical when played with a good group and is amazing fun when it is.

• DrafellDrafell Member Posts: 588

I have to say that I haven't missed not having a dedicated healer. If you die, it is probably because you screwed up, not because another player screwed up.

This is all about personal accountability.

The game just... works.

And yes, I was running around with a group of Guildies last night. There were no worries about what skills we needed to bring or any abilities that we lacked. Everyone just brought what they wanted and much fun was had.

I ended up being level 16 and fighting level 25's and getting AWESOME loot for my contribution. I guess this proves that Mesmers are not so squishy and that AoE rocks.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

You probably won't like this game then. I find it challenging and different but others like the trinity system. It's to bad it wasn't the other way around years ago and trinity was just now coming out! :)

You are hardly any class anytime. There are just fractions of some of each in all of them. ie. Everyone gets a heal but some have more options for healing. A warrior can have ranged that actually makes a difference, and a Ranger can Melee very well. It doesn't mean that you can do everything equally well with each class. I'm playing a Guardian and I wouldn't be expected to be effective with a bow! (well they can't use them). But anyway, you get the idea. The classes are not that much different in this game than WoW or even Aion, its the execution of each that is a bit different.

I don't know why people think this is a PvP game. I think of it as equal parts PvP, PvE, and exploration. The PvP is very good in the game so possibly people think of it as more partial to it than PvE. The entire world is huge and PvE is the best I have found in any game.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Tanking is still there in a way, its just done differently. Rather than having some magical taunt that makes everything focus you, and only you, and nobody else is getting hit you have to be more active and physical put yourself between the enemy and your allies so that your ethe one in the line of fire taking the hits while making use of block skills and defensive buffs. Youve got to be more active in utilizing your CC skills (stuns, slows, knockdowns, etc) as well to make sure if you lose the aggro that they cant reach your allies.

Think of it as kind of like playing a lineman in football and the DPS is your quarterback. Your job is to keep yourself between the other team and your quarterback and slow them down as much as you can, or knock their asses into the ground. If they get through you, chances are your QB is going to get sacked.

Its a nice change. Ive always hated the taunt/tanking mechanics in other games. Theyre like, youre a lineman who stops and yells something to the other team and suddenly the entire team is like "That guy just yelled something. Everyone pay attention to him and ignore the rest of the guys hitting us and running with the ball, none of them matter". That would be a pretty fail ass football team.

And yeah like others have said with the PvE, ts great. Im normally like a 80% PvP 20% PvE player. Most PvE bores me to death.  I cant stand doing it for long periods and try to avoid as much of it as I can and get right to PvPing. I planned on doing the same in GW2 at first and was excited to start PvPing. But then I got into the game and have done the opposite and been like 80-90% PvE / exploration and only  a few hours of PvP. I keep telling myself, "Damn I should go do some PvP, but Im having fun here" and hours later I still havent gone to PvP.

Theres been a lot of debate over the years with various games catering too much to either the PvP crowd or the PvE crowd, and completely lacking in 1 or the other creating this idea that devs can no longer create games which draw in both crowds and have equally good content for both of them. Anet has done exactly that with GW2. Theres lots of fun stuff to do for everyone, and if if its not typically what you do in a game you'll likely find yourself enjoying those other things more than you did in previous games.

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816
    Think of it as kind of like playing a lineman in football and the DPS is your quarterback. Your job is to keep yourself between the other team and your quarterback and slow them down as much as you can, or knock their asses into the ground. If they get through you, chances are your QB is going to get sacked.
    Its a nice change. Ive always hated the taunt/tanking mechanics in other games. Theyre like, youre a lineman who stops and yells something to the other team and suddenly the entire team is like "That guy just yelled something. Everyone pay attention to him and ignore the rest of the guys hitting us and running with the ball, none of them matter". That would be a pretty fail ass football team.

Absolutely fricken brilliant analogy BTW. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter..

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by donjn

Absolutely fricken brilliant analogy BTW. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter..

Agree, best analogy i've seen on these forums.

+1

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206

OP it is a bad time to ask this. We are still in the honeymoon phase of the game and all you'll hear is fanboy opinions. 

Here is my opinion as a PvPer who's level 65 atm: The PvP is abysmal, the PvE outdoor leveling is fantastic. I doubt I will like the endgame (grinding for cosmetic items) or the dungeons (but I hate dungeons in all MMOs). GW2 is nowhere near a "PvP game". 

If you like exploration, jumping puzzles, outdoor raids / world bosses buy it. If you prefer instanced PvE / strong endgame wait 1-2 months and ask again.

• f1sebf1seb Member UncommonPosts: 194

1.  Pretty much the majority of people are doing DPS and not really doing any healing.  If you die during a big battle there are people rezzing you, it's encouraged because you also get exp for rezzing a dead player.

2.  PVE is what it is, nothing new in here at all.  So far I've been facing the same exact enemies 1-20 with them being a bit harder.  The repeat enemies I've seen are the Centaur, Wasps, Moa's, Ettin, etc.  Pretty much everything is a giant zerg as far as these dynamic events go with zero coordination,  everybody does what they want and stuff just dies from it.  You will grind some of these events a few times in a row which gets pretty boring, then you will move on to a harder area, rinse and repeat.

Some of these events are a bit more memorable, but so far I've only encountered 1 of these, and that was the big giant Shadow Bahamut in the swamp.  You have your own story to follow which is like the class story in SWTOR but not done nearly as well in my opinion.  Like it SWTOR they are completed in your own private instance to which you can invite people to and complete if you find it too difficult.  

Crafting is part of PVE so I'll cover it here.  It's nothing new whatsoever, gather said mats, put them in a queue, watch exp bar fill up as you create things.  You can discover new recipies by combining certain materials together in a seperate queue window, it will tell you which paired up mats will create something or if it wont.  That's about it.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Trinity: no its not needed, fights work differently, you don't need tanks or healers, and in fact trying to play that way would just get you killed. You don't take 5 pure dos to a fight though, what you need instead of tanks is cc, lots, shared around the team. What you need instead if healers is buffs / debuffs and summons so the team take less damage in the first place and deal damages faster while aiding it

2 pve wise - I like it a lot. Leveling wise its my 2nd best experience (after tsw). Can't say what end games like though.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw

OP it is a bad time to ask this. We are still in the honeymoon phase of the game and all you'll hear is fanboy opinions. 

Here is my opinion as a PvPer who's level 65 atm: The PvP is abysmal, the PvE outdoor leveling is fantastic. I doubt I will like the endgame (grinding for cosmetic items) or the dungeons (but I hate dungeons in all MMOs). GW2 is nowhere near a "PvP game". 

If you like exploration, jumping puzzles, outdoor raids / world bosses buy it. If you prefer instanced PvE / strong endgame wait 1-2 months and ask again.

I don't agree with the PvP as being abysmal, but I agree with you 100% on the PvE

OP. If you toss out the PvP, PvE, the Dynamic Events, and all the other features in most mmorpgs, you should buy the game for nothing other than exploring.  The world is glorious! Yes I said it, glorious. It is one twisting turn after another, one overlook, mountain top, mine shaft, cave, chasm, river, lake, on and on. It is the most unique world I have played in any mmorpg. Rift and AoC have good graphics, but the worlds are nothing compared to Tyria.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.