Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anybody else get their account hacked?

2»

Comments

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by LethalJaxx
    You're all blaming the OP for having his account hacked, but let's be honest here, making your email account your GW2 user account is a very strange decision by ANet, removing a door for hackers. email databases are traded for a lot of money for many uses. So now in stead of somehow getting your user name as well, all hackers need to do is bomb GW2 login with those email databases, and profit. The authenticator is a nice try, but if they have access to your email, they'll have access to your account. Plain. Simple. There is no other barrier of security. The only security GW2 relies on, is the security provided by your email provider.

User name vs Email account while can be debated it still a sad excuse.  If your PW for either is worth its salt this is NOT an issue.  The reality is most people are unwilling to create a strong PW because memorizing it is difficult.  Yet there are those of us who on a daily basis must keep 5-10 of said strong passwords memorized for our jobs.  Just saying man.

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    It just seems a little disconcerting to me that an online game account can so easily be hacked into.  I mean, I get the fact that there are a lot of ignorant people out there who fall for the phishing scams, but after this experience I'm starting to have doubts about the security of my info with these gaming companies.  I've been accessing my bank accounts online for 20 years now, and not once were they hacked into.  You'd think hacking into bank accounts would be far more lucrative.  Which leads me to believe that the gaming companies just don't pay that much attention to security as much as a typical bank.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    You're all blaming the OP for having his account hacked, but let's be honest here, making your email account your GW2 user account is a very strange decision by ANet, removing a door for hackers. email databases are traded for a lot of money for many uses. So now in stead of somehow getting your user name as well, all hackers need to do is bomb GW2 login with those email databases, and profit. The authenticator is a nice try, but if they have access to your email, they'll have access to your account. Plain. Simple. There is no other barrier of security. The only security GW2 relies on, is the security provided by your email provider.

Why - in Rift your email is your account name as well as in Tera. I think you miss the point - I can spoof your email account without having access to it. It is not hard. If you respond to the phishers - then the blame is on you. I received one of the fake GW2 reset password emails and I looked at the headers/source of the email and could plainly see it was a fake. I reset my password at the Guildwars2 website just in case. This is what is going on - it is the latest game and gold sellers want in.

While it is true that A.Net could have put in a little more security initially in the game. Rift had the same problem when it was released, hence 3 months later they came out with the coin-lock feature. GW2 has been out 3 days andI remember in the first week, Rift had the same amount of complaints about hacking as GW2 is.

Use different, complex passwords and change them often.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Satarious
    Originally posted by teakbois
    Originally posted by Satarious
    ArenaNet's security must be piss poor.   All it took was a request to change the email address on my account.  Sad.

I love how he goes and blames arenanet for something thats his fault.

Although I do think authenticators should be standard and Arenanet could have better prevention, this has zero to do with their security.

I bet you won't be so quick to blame the victim when YOU are the victim despite all your safeguards.  The fact is, you don't have much control over your own personal online security as long as it's sitting on some database somewhere.  I guess you haven't heard about all these company websites being hacked with millions of credit card numbers being stolen.

When i got hacked for WoW years ago, i didnt blame blizzard.  Just as its not Arenanet's fault (well, 99.9% chance it's not their fault) that someone either got your password, or your email account's password.

Also, even if a company does get hacked, it doesnt necessarily mean they have poor security.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Got the same email. Password is the same. I check the security option under GW2 account management and see that my IP is the only one that has logged into my account.
  • stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by miguksaram

User name vs Email account while can be debated it still a sad excuse.  If your PW for either is worth its salt this is NOT an issue.  The reality is most people are unwilling to create a strong PW because memorizing it is difficult.  Yet there are those of us who on a daily basis must keep 5-10 of said strong passwords memorized for our jobs.  Just saying man.

My wife was hacked and we use KEYBOX for all of our passwords.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
This discussion has been closed.