Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of WoW after Aug. 25th (XFire)

Comments

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

How many times to people have to say the same thing over and over again

"I'm not going back to WoW"

"I've spent my time there, I'm done"

"The pandas ruined it for me, I will never go back to WoW!"

There is a minority of people playing WoW compared to the people that quit playing it.  Activision/Blizzard is up for sale. The Xfire results. How many other things need to happen for people to recognize the truth. People are leaving WoW as fast as they can, and soon it's only going to be a handful of fanboi's

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• MrNoMrNo Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade
    Originally posted by mmojunkie5000
    Originally posted by MrNo

This is Xire we are talking about ppl a joke. It only works if you have xfire so it is not a "official" chart so who cares. I mean realy lets get off this WoW is going down hill kicks.

Ive acualy notice a LOT of people comming back to WoW after 5.0 I personaly can care less what Xfire says they do not regulate my game.

how can anyone say that?

it is mindboggling.

"it only works if you have xfire so it's not an official chart"??????

do you honestly realize what you are saying?

you're utterly missing the point and you do not even understand, in any way, shape or form, what xfire does or what these numbers mean...

have you read the thread? no I guess.

it is simply baffling how people do not grasp simple statistics

Statistics are frequently wrong, misquoted, misused, overinflated, underinflated, barbaqued, mowed over, etc.

Statistics have also been used and misused in the last few decades to make some pretty aweful decisions about a wide variety of things.

X-Fire is a voluntary program that a Player has to opt in for and download and install. Not everyone does, and I believe most don't. Quoting X-Fire is like a U.S. Presidential Politician promising purple rainbows in an election year.

No. I will not use X-Fires statistics to tell me much of anything other than an extremely vague shot in the dark about what is going on. (a silly wild ass guess is better and usually more accurate). I understand why others don't take much stock in X-Fire's data as well.

What Gardavsshade said. Ty

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

so let's assume WoW would be at its normal 40-45k hours. guild wars still is at 80k no MMO ever dethroned WoW even for 1 day on xfire.no matter how much it was hyped

GW2 was pretty obviously going to be very popular right from the start. Even if nothing else was happening, WoW's players would be waiting for the next expansion. There isn't anything here that wasn't already fairly obvious.

XFire didn't add anything new. You can't calculate anything from the XFire player numbers or played hours numbers so you can't tell the degree to which anything is actually happening. You just see what you already know.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Sukiyaki

Just to rub it in. WoW has by now dropped so far its significantly closer to SWTOR than to GW2.

Infact WoW just barely has three times more xfire user left than of SWTOR

The one so many WoW fanbois claimed has "at best 50-100.000 active subscriber left".

Now eat your 6 years "hurr xfire accurately predicted every games downfall because I claim so", "hurr it looks like statistics, thats adult science stuff, my opinion about them cant be wrong", "hurr Im a mathemagician and can accurately fabricate subnumbers to bash your game and call the devs  liars because my overly pessimistics assumptions do not match their records" trolling other gameforums.

I wonder how much will really "come back" after all the excuces like patches cease to have any possible impact? And what kind of twist and deception tactics Blizzard is going to pull this time for their overhyped expansion to brag again in face of further losses. Maybe this time they wont excempt the few remaining Korean gamer upgrading to KungFuPanda clone from their expansion  "sales" announcements, which so many clueless WoW fanbois repetetively mistake as "boxsales" claiming they are all "Western", when infact they are global, from South America, Russia, over Oceanic userbase, up to Taiwan and Korea and would even include free "upgrades" on payed Chinese accounts if they game wasnt released later there, only unless expecitely mentioned specific countries where not included.

Just to rub it in but using Xfire for anything is discredited and will be considered a joke. Any one who post these WoW is dead or is dying or numbers have falling is a very ill attempt to get people to see a false report to get people to feel sorry for them since they left WoW and is a digruntral person tyring to get people to turn against WoW by posting so called statistic from a joke of a program called Xfire.

• mmojunkie5000mmojunkie5000 Member Posts: 92

Hey cool I can make a fake chart also and post on this thread but I have pride man.

that's from xfire http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/
    this chart. just use the link...

wow... some fanbois really are paranoid.. as if I would invest the time to fake a chart... lol
    Originally posted by lizardbones

so let's assume WoW would be at its normal 40-45k hours.

guild wars still is at 80k

no MMO ever dethroned WoW even for 1 day on xfire.

no matter how much it was hyped

GW2 was pretty obviously going to be very popular right from the start. Even if nothing else was happening, WoW's players would be waiting for the next expansion. There isn't anything here that wasn't already fairly obvious.

XFire didn't add anything new. You can't calculate anything from the XFire player numbers or played hours numbers so you can't tell the degree to which anything is actually happening. You just see what you already know.

so that no other mmo ever managed this is of no consequence for you?

it didn't just dethrone it. it doubled its numbers (if we really assume the 15k are an xfire bug)

or had 5 times as much time played if its not a bug.

that's 500% of wows numbers on xfire.

but yeah... business as usualy. sure

it's insane how delusional some fanbois get

Hey cool I can make a fake chart also and post on this thread but I have pride man.

that's from xfire http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/ this chart. just use the link... wow... some fanbois really are paranoid.. as if I would invest the time to fake a chart... lol

Like i said I can fake a chart also so can the people at Xfire. If you choose to put down WoW pls dont do it on this forum it is called trolling.

Originally posted by mmojunkie5000 so let's assume WoW would be at its normal 40-45k hours.     guild wars still is at 80k   no MMO ever dethroned WoW even for 1 day on xfire. no matter how much it was hyped  
    GW2 was pretty obviously going to be very popular right from the start. Even if nothing else was happening, WoW's players would be waiting for the next expansion. There isn't anything here that wasn't already fairly obvious. XFire didn't add anything new. You can't calculate anything from the XFire player numbers or played hours numbers so you can't tell the degree to which anything is actually happening. You just see what you already know.  

it didn't just dethrone it. it doubled its numbers (if we really assume the 15k are an xfire bug)

I think it's interesting, but it's not that interesting outside of XFire itself. I think something that's far more interesting and telling is that ANet suspended direct sales of their game so that they could slow the intake of people into their servers. They are making enough money to halt sales of their product, even if it's only through one sales channel. I don't need XFire to tell me they are selling a LOT of copies of the game. I would guess they are selling more than their goal to actually cut sales off.

I also don't need XFire to tell me that WoW's total number of concurrent players dwarfs every other MMORPG on the planet. That XFire is showing 5 times the number of GW2 players as WoW players just tells me how skewed XFire's numbers are.

** edit **

You seem to think I'm defending WoW or something similar. I'm not sure why. But just to be clear, I don't need XFire to tell me that WoW is in decline, any more than I need XFire to tell me GW2 is very popular right now.

I'm not defending WoW against you since you will have no impact on WoW or what anyone thinks about it, here or anywhere else. I'm pointing out the flaws in XFire.

that's from xfire http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/ this chart. just use the link... wow... some fanbois really are paranoid.. as if I would invest the time to fake a chart... lol

Like i said I can fake a chart also so can the people at Xfire. If you choose to put down WoW pls dont do it on this forum it is called trolling.

so what you're saying is: "people at xfire" "are faking charts"?

this is an automatically generated chart based on total time played of all MMOs

just because it proves your imaginary world to be exactly that, doesn't mean people just log into other games than WoW, just to "fake" that their interests lie somewhere else.

wow was number 1 there for years.

now it isn't. gw2 is.

deal with it

Originally posted by mmojunkie5000 so let's assume WoW would be at its normal 40-45k hours.     guild wars still is at 80k   no MMO ever dethroned WoW even for 1 day on xfire. no matter how much it was hyped  
    GW2 was pretty obviously going to be very popular right from the start. Even if nothing else was happening, WoW's players would be waiting for the next expansion. There isn't anything here that wasn't already fairly obvious. XFire didn't add anything new. You can't calculate anything from the XFire player numbers or played hours numbers so you can't tell the degree to which anything is actually happening. You just see what you already know.  

I think it's interesting, but it's not that interesting outside of XFire itself. I think something that's far more interesting and telling is that ANet suspended direct sales of their game so that they could slow the intake of people into their servers. They are making enough money to halt sales of their product, even if it's only through one sales channel. I don't need XFire to tell me they are selling a LOT of copies of the game. I would guess they are selling more than their goal to actually cut sales off.

I also don't need XFire to tell me that WoW's total number of concurrent players dwarfs every other MMORPG on the planet. That XFire is showing 5 times the number of GW2 players as WoW players just tells me how skewed XFire's numbers are.

during pre-purchase launch they had 400.000 concurrent players.

wow had 800.000 during cata launch and has since then lost almost 4 million subs somewhere. could be in the west or east.

back then, wow was still number 1 on xfire and nothing came even close.

swtor had 350k

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-03-swtor-has-350-000-peak-concurrent-users-report

http://techland.time.com/2012/08/28/guild-wars-2-sales-one-million-pre-served-record-400000-playing-at-once/

quote:

"a game like World of Warcraft has seen peak concurrent users of over 800,000" with data from cata launch

peak. and since then 1/3 of subs have been lost.

so xfire numbers are pretty spot on, considering how many of the subs WoW has left play like a gw2 player. not many.

Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by mmojunkie5000 Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by mmojunkie5000 so let's assume WoW would be at its normal 40-45k hours.     guild wars still is at 80k   no MMO ever dethroned WoW even for 1 day on xfire. no matter how much it was hyped  
    so that no other mmo ever managed this is of no consequence for you?     it didn't just dethrone it. it doubled its numbers (if we really assume the 15k are an xfire bug) or had 5 times as much time played if its not a bug. that's 500% of wows numbers on xfire.   but yeah... business as usualy. sure   it's insane how delusional some fanbois get  
    I think it's interesting, but it's not that interesting outside of XFire itself. I think something that's far more interesting and telling is that ANet suspended direct sales of their game so that they could slow the intake of people into their servers. They are making enough money to halt sales of their product, even if it's only through one sales channel. I don't need XFire to tell me they are selling a LOT of copies of the game. I would guess they are selling more than their goal to actually cut sales off. I also don't need XFire to tell me that WoW's total number of concurrent players dwarfs every other MMORPG on the planet. That XFire is showing 5 times the number of GW2 players as WoW players just tells me how skewed XFire's numbers are.  

wow had 800.000 during cata launch and has since then lost almost 4 million subs somewhere. could be in the west or east.

swtor had 350k

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-03-swtor-has-350-000-peak-concurrent-users-report

http://techland.time.com/2012/08/28/guild-wars-2-sales-one-million-pre-served-record-400000-playing-at-once/

quote:

"a game like World of Warcraft has seen peak concurrent users of over 800,000" with data from cata launch

so xfire numbers are pretty spot on, considering how many of the subs WoW has left play like a gw2 player. not many. 

So you're saying that since XFire is accurate, that GW2 has 5 times as many concurrent players as WoW? You are saying WoW has 80,000 concurrent players?

Oh, wait. That's right, you're doing what everyone does with XFire numbers. You're guesstimating numbers so that XFire's numbers make sense.

12 million minus 3 million is 9 million. Where did you get 4 million. Anyway, that's a 25% drop in subscriptions since their peak. If you take 25% of the concurrent players, that leaves 600,000 players. How do you get from 600,000 to 80,000 concurrent WoW players? Let's say XFire's numbers are not wildly inaccurate. WoW's numbers on XFire have dropped by half, which would put them at 400,000 concurrent players. How do you get from 400,000 concurrent players to 80,000 concurrent players?

When will XFire's numbers actually make sense when you start comparing them to reality?

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Demandman
    Originally posted by Derros
    side note, Havent played WoW for a long time now, and dont plan to start up again.

That's the ting... They've alienated most of the original playerbase by now, and are desparately seeking to attract new (younger demographics). I don't know ANYONE from my classic/tbc times that still play.

That is amazing when you think about it, not only does WoW have nine million or so players atm, it is a different nine million than five years ago because those guys have moved on. (At least if you are correct in your assesment)

so that no other mmo ever managed this is of no consequence for you?     it didn't just dethrone it. it doubled its numbers (if we really assume the 15k are an xfire bug) or had 5 times as much time played if its not a bug. that's 500% of wows numbers on xfire.   but yeah... business as usualy. sure   it's insane how delusional some fanbois get  
    I think it's interesting, but it's not that interesting outside of XFire itself. I think something that's far more interesting and telling is that ANet suspended direct sales of their game so that they could slow the intake of people into their servers. They are making enough money to halt sales of their product, even if it's only through one sales channel. I don't need XFire to tell me they are selling a LOT of copies of the game. I would guess they are selling more than their goal to actually cut sales off. I also don't need XFire to tell me that WoW's total number of concurrent players dwarfs every other MMORPG on the planet. That XFire is showing 5 times the number of GW2 players as WoW players just tells me how skewed XFire's numbers are.  

swtor had 350k

quote:

So you're saying that since XFire is accurate, that GW2 has 5 times as many concurrent players as WoW? You are saying WoW has 80,000 concurrent players?

Oh, wait. That's right, you're doing what everyone does with XFire numbers. You're guesstimating numbers so that XFire's numbers make sense.

12 million minus 3 million is 9 million. Where did you get 4 million. Anyway, that's a 25% drop in subscriptions since their peak. If you take 25% of the concurrent players, that leaves 600,000 players. How do you get from 600,000 to 80,000 concurrent WoW players? Let's say XFire's numbers are not wildly inaccurate. WoW's numbers on XFire have dropped by half, which would put them at 400,000 concurrent players. How do you get from 400,000 concurrent players to 80,000 concurrent players?

When will XFire's numbers actually make sense when you start comparing them to reality?

you've got to be a troll. no one can fail so hard in reading comprehension.

I never ever said that or anything close to it.

I said guild wars had 80.000 hours played on xfire

and that it had 400k concurrent users during pre-purchase launch.

at cata launch they sure as hell got over 12 mil and now they are not really at 9 mil any more. be serious. quarterly reports. not monthly.

and this was the peak time during cata hype. now we are in a slump where no one's playing.

so I bet that WoW in fact has a significantly less concurrent user number than GW2.

especially considering WoW does not have 8 million or what's left subs in USA or EU. most of it is in China where GW2 has not even launched yet.

you were making sweeping and laughable assumptions that are disproven not by xfire, but real released, official, hard, not to argue with NUMBERS:

gw2 NOW has had 400.000 concurrent users before the game even was accessible to preorders let alone retail.

WoW had 800k at its best days with massive cata hype behind it, millions buying the expansion and returning to the game

so, no. WoW's concurretn user numbers at this moment dwarves every other MMO, but not guild wars 2. and that's not just xfire talking

Originally posted by Aori

What is interesting WoW is the only P2P game that i'm aware of on Xfires top 20 list.. lol.

WoW dropoff has to do with xfire bugs and patch times and people just trying the new games before MoP comes out.

Now you have GW2 which is B2P game, people tend to justify that purchase alot easier than a P2P game purchase because they can always go back to it later. Some people hold off on P2P games because they don't always have time to use the free month they are given to truely test the game.

Don't worry WoW will overtake GW2 again

well... there's SWTOR at 18 and Aion at 19 (usually...) aren't both still P2P?

see, it's less about P2P but the genre. until now WoW was the only MMORPG in the top 10

so because they are more likely to buy GW2 cause it's B2P

it means they will return to WoW?

did I miss a step in your conclusion?

so after the bug has been fixed, wow is at 26k hours and GW2 at 84k hours

• Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Originally posted by Verterdegete

Interesting...

Plz stop these threads plz... I beg you. We have seen them so many times now, and it allways end up with the same. WoW lose 2 mil subs and gain 3 mil 6 months after.. 

• Originally posted by MrNo

really WOW!

Originally posted by Method01

Plz stop these threads plz... I beg you. We have seen them so many times now, and it allways end up with the same. WoW lose 2 mil subs and gain 3 mil 6 months after.. 

so after wow has lost 3-4 mil subs now, MoP will bring back 5-6 mil?

good luck

Im begining to see the imature brat behavior that GW2 players seems to have the mentality that they offer for players of GW2 aperently those players are around the age of 10 maybe? if that since all they want to do is brag how uber cool GW2 is and I tell you what the more they do the more it makes me want to NEVER give GW2 a try. Well done kiddies.

Originally posted by Half_Man_Half_Toon

really WOW!

Ya you are right it is WoW that would be the correct version of this pie chart with GW2 second.

Originally posted by Aori

Most people havent left WoW they are just tasting GW2 as there is no real commitment. WoW kinda chains people to it, they view it at first as fun.. but in reality it turns into an investment that they don't wanna let rot.

GW2 won't have that same type of retension..

not saying its good but it is what it is.

that's true enough.

but those people who have too much invested n WoW are not the people who play guild wars.

some, sure, but the majority are people who are not raiders or enjoy sitting in ogrimmar for 8 hours a day.

the people who play gw2 are the silent, overwhelming majority that simply had never heard of a good alternative.

you wouldn't believe how many people I know from WoW who are still playing it and have never even heard of the secret world, tera and never tried swtor or rift...

but they heard about gw2 and got excited. and actually think of leaving.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

On day 1, MOP will sell 4M boxes in the west.

There is a lot going on with that graph, most noteably a wow patch that borked Xfire.

Let´s see..  which game would you rather be the owner of 

1. Sold 2M copies, with no subscription, meaning no more income for awhile

2.  Sold 4M copies the first 24hrs, and have a resonable chance to collect $15 per month for at least the next 6 months from those 4M people.   Also will probably sell another 1-2M in the month after launch.

And as has been pointed out.  Xfire is not indicative of the average WOW player.   WOW is a fairly casual game, the types of people that use Xfire are MUCH more likely to be game locusts (jumping on new games as soon as they are launched).   It is similar to forums on a site like this.  For instance, TSW just announced they sold only 200k boxes and probably have 100k subscribers, yet their forums are MORE active than WOWs on this site.   My guess is most WOW players have never even heard of GW2, Xfire, or mmorpg.com

To be honest, we won´t know until day 1 of MOP.  If MOP sells noticeably less than Cata, then we know the downward path has begun.   As Blizzard announced to their stockholders, the majority of lost subscribers were from China.  I think it is very likely that MOP will outsell, or hold steady with 1st 24hr Cata sales.

Xfire is just too much of a geek thing to be reliable.  WOW players that know about xfire, are much more likely to know about GW2 than the average player.

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

Originally posted by Demandman

Originally posted by Derros side note, Havent played WoW for a long time now, and dont plan to start up again.
    That's the ting... They've alienated most of the original playerbase by now, and are desparately seeking to attract new (younger demographics). I don't know ANYONE from my classic/tbc times that still play.

Yeah even the real hardcore freaks I knew quit. (People that played even more than I did.)

It seems the development has went in a direction specifically to push away older/longterm players.

I would assume less than 10% use Xfire.

Most of WOW are super-casual Facebook mouthbreathers/soccer mom types so they won't have alot of "gaming" software lurking around taking tallies.

The developers are perfectly capable of breaking Xfire integration with the client intentionally to skew statistics or provide "Plausible deniability" as well.

• ShimpoGenmuShimpoGenmu Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Very interesting but I'm afraid it won't stick.  D3 only had a temporary affect on WOW and so some of the same will occur here.  also, MoP will probably bring it back well above the 50k.

the subs of wow will fall even more once ppl play MoP and realize how bad it is.

• CrimsonSixCrimsonSix Member UncommonPosts: 42

I am neither a WoW or a GW2 fan, but how daft do you have to be to compare two games that are currently at the opposite ends of the development cycle? One is in its release week, after 6 years of waiting. The other has been winding down for several months in preparation for the next expac and is full of bored players.

What game do you think all those WoW players are playing right now? -_-

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

[quote]Originally posted by CrimsonSix
    What game do you think all those WoW players are playing right now? -_-[/b][/quote]

The "See how many blu-ray rips you can fit on your hard drive" MMOFPS.