Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People who say combat is ez mode are full of it...I need help!

2»

Comments

• Originally posted by botrytis

Practice - practice - practice. It is what makes GW2 combat unique - IMO.

At least you seem to be enjoying the game.

This is the best advice.  The game takes practice.  Each beta weekend took me a day to be able to play well again.

You just gotta tick with it and hammer out something that works for you and get it down to the point where you don't need to think about it.

Also do not try to do rotations of skills, rather be more situationally aware.  Kite and skirmish for normal hits and save dodges for big attacks,CC, or mistakes in position.

• AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by Slukjan

Half the time I am forgetting to use my utilitiy skills...

Anyone else having similar problems?  Can someone give me some advice on how to improve?

At first, I strugled a lot trying to understand the combat and skill system but not until Arenanet launched the Wiki. The wiki helps me out a lot when there is something I need to learn in detail, etc. I'm still learning also. My guardian is lvl 17 now. Imo, the real fun of GW2 is discovering the skill combinations and testing them out (I felt the same way for GW1 that was why I kept playing it).

Try this...

1. You should, try to use Utilities skills while trying to use different weapons to unlock all of the weapons skills available for      your profession. 

2. Do skill challange, earn skill points and spend them on utilities skills.

3. Mix and match your weapons and their skills and use them in combination of utilities skills. It is endless....

I have been trying this and now I'm enjoying my Guardian very much! There are so much more to discover... it is overwelming for someone coming off from GW1 lol... but, i'm loving it.

The only real issue for me tho, is targetting... I need to get used to locking on certaint targets and switching them efficiently. So, just keep playing and practicing.. no rush...(no monthly fee :P ) take your time and you will like it even more.

• EmptyOwlEmptyOwl Member Posts: 3
    This may seem a no-brainer suggestion...but have you put your "1" key skill on auto?  Control-mouse2 to lock it to autofire when you have a target.  It can help having that attack constantly cycling as you concentrate on doing other things....
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Naevius
    My best tip is to move and circle strafe constantly. I usually dodge only to avoid knockdowns (very bad) or pre-emptively to back off and heal. But I never stay in front of a mob, ever.

in many cases that wont work. best thing is kiting in general.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Slukjan

I have been playing MMOs since 1999.  I never really had too hard a time with combat before as most of the time it was just standing in place and casting.  Not so with gw2...

GW2 has me frustrated at times.  There are so many things going on that I am confused and fumbling over the keyboard when I am fighting 2-3 mobs.  Dodging, timing my attacks, positioning, switching weapons, targeting the next mob....I know I am reacting too slow to be efficient.  I am trying to watch the mobs to figure out when to dodge but half the time I'm not even sure if the mob  is attacking me or my pet.  And when there are 2 mobs on me how the heck am I supposed to notice when which mob is attacking so I can dodge?  I am level 15 ranger and still feel like I'm a noob in combat.  I am definitely not flowing smoothly along.  Half the time I am forgetting to use my utilitiy skills...maybe I just bound the keys poorly, I don't know.

Anyone else having similar problems?  Can someone give me some advice on how to improve?

Start with circeling the mobs as you fight and use a ranged weapon. That aint enough later but it will teach you the basics on how you need to move and with some prctice you will be able to dodge and coordinate yor movement once you mastered that.

The whole key to the combat is not being in the place the mob (or PvP oponent) expect you to be.  It really isnt so hard once you get used to it, you will get a revelation as you play a little more. :)

Joining up a friendly guild that can give you in game pointers is a good idea as well.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

combat is more challenging than most other MMOs no matter what some of the elite better than everyone people say on these boards.. one thing I found is each class has certain weapon combos that work well for handling multiple mobs especially when solo.. after that its just practice practice like said above.. find a combo with decent CC and damage and learn how to effectively use the two and you should be okay. I found at least one ranged weapon set with some CC is generally little more forgiving than trying to melee things all the time. It also is little bit easier since you don't have to be as quick with timing your dodges as often..

on a side note on the difficulty some of my guildys ran catacombs for the first time last night and got destroyed... these are all long time MMO vets as well and doing the easiest mode of this dungeon.. Game is not as easy as many people around here have been spouting.

Psh, tell my 2-H mace/ greatsword warrior that. Only time I ever had to go out of melee was PvP (because melee is impossible when theres that many people in front of you) and the first dungeon (since ranged is so much more forgiving in most fights and it's almost impossible to be melee). Besides that, greatsword for dmg and mobility, hammer for CC and run around soloing groups of 5 or so mobs or going after veterans by myself.

Only doing DEs for dailys and if they are worth it since they are close and help with getting quick hearts. Besides that combat is much more interactive and easier to learn all by yourself. At least for me. Big groups don't tell you much and being by yourself you'll learn the ins and outs of each class. That and I hate the zerging and bots everywhere. Takes the fun out of combat when you got 5-10 people with you killing some normal units or just veterans.

What I found to be best would be a high damage build with a CC or tanky other. The more CC the better to keep you from taking damage to recooperate from hard hitting mobs, but the burst from the other weapon to slice through mobs so you aren't sitting there for long enough to tank damage.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by Naevius
    My best tip is to move and circle strafe constantly. I usually dodge only to avoid knockdowns (very bad) or pre-emptively to back off and heal. But I never stay in front of a mob, ever.

Kiting works for awhile till mobs that can close quick or lock you down.  Learning when to dodge (some classes get utility dodges also) can really help.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Angier2758
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Kiting works for awhile till mobs that can close quick or lock you down.  Learning when to dodge (some classes get utility dodges also) can really help.

Yeah, agreed. But kiteing is a good start for OP, once he get that right he can start worrying about dodging. :)