Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR has 1/13th the number of active players GW2 has

before you start raging: this is NOT about GW2 per se. GW2 could be any game that's buy/free to play.

why should an EA executive spend millions on new voice over content,

when the game in question has an active player base  that's a joke compared to the big boys who are also free to play(once you buy the box)

and active players who are logged in and play are ONLY THOSE MATTER IN A FTP ENVIRONMENT, NOT PPL WHO PAY THEIR SUB AND NEVER PLAY

---------------------------------------------------

EDIT CAUSE NEW NUMBERS ARE IN:

http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/   (right now, they are displaying old numbers again-their server just went offline... give it a few minutes)

on xfire

GW2 has a time played market share among all MMOs of 54.5% yesterday

SWTOR has (stop reading and just take a quick guess)

-

-

-

-

-

SWTOR has 2.9% AION 2.4% and Aion is dead

WoW has 13.3%

http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2

83.496 hours played yesterday with 13.667 people playing

http://beta.xfire.com/games/swtor

4369 hours played  with only a measly 1048 people playing

yes, xfire users hate star wars,

only like PvP that's why a game with 5 times the PvE content, GW2 is on top and

the numbers are irrelevant because in politics a poll needs only a few thousand, but gamers are not pleased with 100k xfire users as a relatively reliable indicator.

we get it.

in other news, it's dead, Jim

500mil $ (300 game 200 adverts, PR and bribes ;) ) for nothing

GW2 is the second most played game on xfire. beat CoD4. only behind LoL. SWTOR is on rank 18

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to the people starting to argue xfire means nothing because the wow numbers are so small:

active players and time played(!!!!!!)

not subs

WoW had 50.000 hours every day for 6 weeks and started dropping heavily each day since GW2 has come out.

official numbers from Arenanet state that the game was pre-purchased, pre-PURCHASED, NOT pre-ordered,  over 1 millon times.

pre-orders and retail boxes and retail downloads not included.

concurrent player numbers 400.000. concurrent meaning playing at the same time.

WoW had tice as much when Cata launched and when it was at almost 13 million subs.

that's why xfire is relevant. subs mean nothing if people stop playing the game. cause they will unsub eventually

Comments

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    And you post this why? And gw2 players wonder why their precious game is attacked.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Ausare
    And you post this why? And gw2 players wonder why their precious game is attacked.

No we don't.  It's because people aren't very bright.  I've seen so many threads attacking the game when it's the players people are really mad at.  Expect business to continue as usual.

• mmojunkie5000mmojunkie5000 Member Posts: 92

I post this because I got suckered into buying SWTOR, dragon age 2 and mass effect 3.

all games that were an empty promise and frankly broken from the start or unfinished.

companies need to learn to pump more than $ into games and propaganda.

GW2 cost a fraction of SWTOR.  but it was made for players, NOT shareholders

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by mmojunkie5000

And what was SWToR's active players on, say, the exact same day into launch that you are using for GW2?

I mean, if you are going to compare statistics You should probably compare players at the same points in time.

You would then compare GW2 players at the exact same point in time that you are using for SWToR.

So basically next April.

We'll see you then.

edit: or you can use SWToR's numbers the same day into launch as you are using for GW2 and we'll also wait for you next april so you can show us any increases or decreases.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Sovrath

And what was SWToR's active players on, say, the exact same day into launch that you are using for GW2?

I mean, if you are going to compare statistics You should probably compare players at the same points in time.

You would then compare GW2 players at the exact same point in time that you are using for SWToR.

So basically next April.

We'll see you then.

fair point, but GW2 has no sub. people can leave easily and come back 2 months later with no worries.

and GW2 is designed for longevity.

yesterday I did the asura starting zone with my high level character. I did have a blast. even the noob level mobs were challenging enough, the events were really tough in some cases. the whole game is a daily, even if you're 80 (still at 30).

I got loot that fit my level, got XP, karma, gold. it felt like a level appropriate zone.

GW2 has no hit and run or spacebar content.

and it has legendaries like a hammer that makes you leave liquid metal footprints or a bow that shoots rainbows

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Judging the number of players off xfire?

Then, wouldn't GW2 have more players than WOW, since it was (is it still?) ahead?

WOW, even without Asia, as probably 4-5 million players. So, using xfire, GW2 as more than that too?

Also, EA said the numbers where between 500k and 1 million. GW2 would have to have atlast 1.5 million, which isn't impossible IMO, but no concrete full numbers yet.

Also, SWTOR had at this point in it's launch more players aswell. Shouldn't we judge GW2 in 7 months time for a completly fair comparasion?

Oh, and like GW2 ALOT more than TOR, for that matter.

Originally posted by MMOwanderer

Then, wouldn't GW2 have more players than WOW, since it was (is it still?) ahead?

WOW, even without Asia, as probably 4-5 million players. So, using xfire, GW2 as more than that too?

Also, EA said the numbers where between 500k and 1 million. GW2 would have to have atlast 1.5 million, which isn't impossible IMO, but no concrete full numbers yet.

Also, SWTOR had at this point in it's launch more players aswell. Shouldn't we judge GW2 in 7 months time for a completly fair comparasion?

ACTIVE players.

I personally don't care if there are 100 mil subscribers, but the game is empty and dead and devoid of life

WoW has plenty of players, but since GW2 has no sub, people can play both and for now, people like Asura, Sylvari, Charr and Norn better than pandas

Sounds like another gw2 troll roaming the swtor forums.

if it is trolling to point out real data, then maybe you should consult a dictionary

I'm simply annoyed by the amount of people in this forum still believing Bioware and that SWTOR is the second most played title, when it barely shows up in %.

2.9%? seriously? come on.

why would an EA exec who sees this number pump money into this game? or waste it on new voice over?

Nice generalized comments. I bet mire people like panda brewmasters way more than gw2 races. Seeing as when wow was in beta about 1 million requested pandarians as a race.
    If you want to talk about how great gw2 is go to that forum. Otherwise you are a troll in the swtor forum. Shoo troll shoo. Move this to the gw2 forum.

fair point, but GW2 has no sub. people can leave easily and come back 2 months later with no worries.

Well, then you would actually have to prove that.

You assume that just because something costs $15 per month that that is a huge issue for everyone. It kind of isn't if what they are payign for is worth it to them.

So the real test is whether or not people leave and THEN come back in two months. It's whether or not they want to.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Sounds like another gw2 troll roaming the swtor forums.

if it is trolling to point out real data, then maybe you should consult a dictionary

I'm simply annoyed by the amount of people in this forum still believing Bioware and that SWTOR is the second most played title, when it barely shows up in %.

2.9%? seriously? come on.

why would an EA exec who sees this number pump money into this game? or waste it on new voice over?

Tired of reading this forum??  You only have 6 post to your name.  So that tells me you created a new account just to come over here and post this stuff?  Whats wrong you don't want to get your reall account in trouble for trolling, and trying to start a flame war.

Why are you not over playing gw2 instead of over here trying to start a fist fight.

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591
    Just because X-Fire has proved reliable in spotting the population trends of most games it keeps record of doesn't mean you should use it.

Or so will be the pretzel logic of the anti XFires.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

I post this because I got suckered into buying SWTOR, dragon age 2 and mass effect 3.

all games that were an empty promise and frankly broken from the start or unfinished.

I'm on your side, really I am but there are a couple of factors your not taking into account.

1) Like when TOR launched, maybe we should start comparing numbers at least a mounth after release. GW2 is fresh out of the oven and we all know how well TOR was looking at launch. We need to let some of the new wear off and then compare maybe?

2) If you was suckered into buying TOR, DA2, and and and ME3 then I think you have no one to blame but yourself. How many people ahead of you did you watch jump off that cliff before it was your turn?

Well, then you would actually have to prove that.

You assume that just because something costs $15 per month that that is a huge issue for everyone. It kind of isn't if what they are payign for is worth it to them.

So the real test is whether or not people leave and THEN come back in two months. It's whether or not they want to.

they specifically designed it for longevity. that's a fact. nobody needs to prove it. just re-read my text.

if the whole game feels at 80 as it feels at the actual level of the content, i.e. a level 30 like me can do level 1-15 zones and play it effectively at level 1-15 (with more skills unlocked, since that does not get adjusted), then it IS replayable.

even expluding the endgame zone, legendary weapons, achievements, the 5000+ cooking recipies, pets, the hundreds of gear /weapon sets you can get and so on....

whether people LIKE this content or not, is another question.

but voice overs are NOT designed for longevity.

replayable content and the hundreds of hours of solo effort for legendaries, the heroic raid level difficulty 5 man dungeons and the endgame zone with a web of interconnected chain events with zonewide teamwork necessary, are.

and that's just PvE.

PvP of SWTOR... yeah... lol.. compare Illum to WvW and weep

Originally posted by Bardus

I'm on your side, really I am but there are a couple of factors your not taking into account.

1) Like when TOR launched, maybe we should start comparing numbers at least a mounth after release. GW2 is fresh out of the oven and we all know how well TOR was looking at launch. We need to let some of the new wear off and then compare maybe?

2) If you was suckered into buying TOR, DA2, and and and ME3 then I think you have no one to blame but yourself. How many people ahead of you did you watch jump off that cliff before it was your turn?

I would be to blame if Bioware had told people honestly that they were NOT releasing new content, that Illum was a joke, that all classes are imbalanced in PvP, that their GTN was a broken mess and so on...

see, they lied. people did not expect Bioware to be so dishonest.

blame the player is the favorite way of fanbois to deal with disappointment of former fans.

I loved the storyline of my agent. best writing in an MMO ever. but it lasts for 1 run through. no choices I made mattered. it was all an illusion.

in GW2 all choices I make in my storyline matter. yes, they are not as well done as SWTORs, but they actually branch.

your choice DOES matter. that's a computer game.

SWTOR has an ingame movie broken into chunks. a nice one, but I don't want to watch it twice.

they specifically designed it for longevity. that's a fact. nobody needs to prove it. just re-read my text.

Well then you would have to prove that their design actually works.

Beagle 1 and 2 were designed to land on mars. And we know what happened there.

give it time to see if their design actually does catch and actually promotes longevity.

I guess repetitive content is longevity. Wow raids then stand the test of time.
  • tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    What a non-event. What you should compare are what the SWTOR numbers were on the day of release. But of course the OP will not do this. Even so, the numbers are somewhat impressive (frankly I expected more GW2 players). Let me see the same numbers in October and I will be REALLY impressed.
  • MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

ACTIVE players.

I personally don't care if there are 100 mil subscribers, but the game is empty and dead and devoid of life

WoW has plenty of players, but since GW2 has no sub, people can play both and for now, people like Asura, Sylvari, Charr and Norn better than pandas

What's the difference? A subbed player is an active player. How can you not care if it as 100 million? If it had that many subs, it had that many players.

What does no sub have to do with anything? If players get tired of the game and leave, they may not look back, or only pop in for a very short amount of time. Yes, no sub is good for lonegevity, but does not guarentee it.

Also, if you haven't even played the full game yet, for atleast month, how can you say it's built for longevity?

Also, you say GW2 was made witha  fraction of TOR's budget. I agree that it was probably not as expensive, but, do you even have the full production cost?

And again, you didn't answer my point about WOW. Does GW2 having thse xfire numbers prove it as more players than WOW? I can't possibly believe that since at haedstart the game was already ahead of wow on xfire, and it had less than 2 million.

#edit- You're making alot of assumptions and stating alot of "facts" without much to back you up. GW2 as more players active than SWTOR? No offense, but, WELL DUH. It's a AAA, higly anticipated mmo that released less than 1 week ago.

Why am i even responding to this?

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

The most played game on this planet is probably Call of Duty. The console market is much bigger than the PC market and pretty much all console players play CoD a lot. I am surprised people actually play CoD on PC.

Anyways GW2 is a new game, of course it will top the /played charts. We will see how it fairs in 2-3 months. But I guess that's too difficult for a lot of people to understand.

More interesting is that Diablo 3 has climbed the xfire charts! Patch 1.04 was spot on.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• trastloltrastlol Member UncommonPosts: 4

I don't play any of the games, but compairing a mmorpg that to be honest, didn't do very well, to a game that just was released is beyond absurd.

Give it a month or two, people will leave this game to, then Mists of Pandaria will grab players, and after a couple of months a new mmo will take the players from that game too. MMORPG players move, a lot. We want a game that gives us the same feeling we had when we first started playing, it is a kind of addiction if you think about it. We need to find a new drug, with a high that is comparable to the one we got from the  first one we tried, but we build up a resistant quickly, so we move on. Who knows, maybe we will find the perfect one, maybe not.

In the end, you won't see these numbers for long.

Ps. Who the hell uses x-fire now a days anyway?

Well then you would have to prove that their design actually works.

Beagle 1 and 2 were designed to land on mars. And we know what happened there.

give it time to see if their design actually does catch and actually promotes longevity.

see, that's where I actually completely agree with you.

GW1 has still 658 h played, which is a fraction of SWTOR's 4300, but still.. it's 7 years old... and it's after launch of the successor...

I have not seen the 80 zone and can't tell you if it's a bust...

but everything else is at least "fun" and not blatantly designed to be experienced once...

what I can tell you, is that gw1, although a very different game, never had such a dropoff in active players...

my point was not if GW2 stays fresh longer than SWTOR but why people assume that these numbers, which ARE taken seriously by people in charge, mean that EA will fund SWTOR any further

I doubt anyone saw this dropoff coming. ftp will not brink in the money required for new voiced storylines.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Actually, your use of the numbers is just a worthless troll of SWTOR players right now OP. Of course tons of people are playing GW2 at launch. Active player numbers will mean more three to six months down the road after the newness has worn off. Right now? Somebody is tooting their horn a bit too loudly to falsify success.  I could just as easily compare SWTOR launch numbers to GW2 launch numbers and to be frank GW2 doesn't hold a candle to those just yet...
    Originally posted by trastlol

I don't play any of the games, but compairing a mmorpg that to be honest, didn't do very well, to a game that just was released is beyond absurd.

Give it a month or two, people will leave this game to, then Mists of Pandaria will grab players, and after a couple of months a new mmo will take the players from that game too. MMORPG players move, a lot. We want a game that gives us the same feeling we had when we first started playing, it is a kind of addiction if you think about it. We need to find a new drug, with a high that is comparable to the one we got from the  first one we tried, but we build up a resistant quickly, so we move on. Who knows, maybe we will find the perfect one, maybe not.

In the end, you won't see these numbers for long.

Ps. Who the hell uses x-fire now a days anyway?

people love pandas and pokemon so much that the new WoW patch more than halved player numbers:

http://beta.xfire.com/games/wow

from 50.000 stable ober 6 weeks to 20.000

this is not about GW2, but about how badly SWTOR is doing compared to it.

and you should read the original post, or think for a second: IT IS A POLL. xfire shows a trend, not more, not less.

but the trend says, SWTOR is dead

This discussion has been closed.