Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] PlanetSide 2: Taking a FragTour with the NC

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

We recently had a chance to sample one of PlanetSide 2's three factions, the New Conglomerate, and today we're bringing you our after-action report!

Our adventure began aboard PlanetSide 2’s workhorse troop transport, the Galaxy, a massive air vehicle that can hold up to 12 occupants when fully upgraded. The Galaxy is no slouch in combat, either. It’s heavily armed and armored and can thus hold up under and return fire when flying into a hot landing zone. The Galaxy also serves as a mobile spawn point, a significant asset that ensures soldiers can get back into a tough fight as long as it remains in play.  Flying high above the map, I was immediately wowed by the game’s stunning visuals. Even though I’ve seen the game in action multiple times already, I’ve always come away impressed. This is especially true for the amazing lighting capabilities of the game’s proprietary ‘Forgelight’ engine. Put simply, if you’ve got the machine to crank this game to the max, you’re in for a visual treat.

Read more of Michael Bitton's PlanetSide 2: New Conglomerate 'FragTour' Report.

Comments

• DarkynDarkyn Member Posts: 3
    Honestly, my biggest concern about this game is that so many people will love it, they won't be able to handle the load. I really hope the cash shop model generates enough revenue to keep it going. They're going to need some beastly hardware and a crap-ton of developers to run/maintain/upgrade this thing. I just hope they can afford it all and still make a profit :)
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    All I needed to have fun and kick @$$ in Planetside was a Jackhammer and a Thumper.   I'm looking forward to hopefully being able to re-live those moments again.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Played PS1 back in the beta days of that game. Thought it was great but couldn't do the sub model on PS1 and another MMO I was waiting for at the time. PS1 was ahead of its time back then. It looks like PS2 has every bit the potential to be a great game in its own right. My only concern is that the cash shop only option does not become a "pay to win" fiasco. The temptation will be there if for nothing else then to pay the bills. Hope they can stay away from that.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

I didnt even read it, Terran here.....

Nothing to see....

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Darkyn
    Honestly, my biggest concern about this game is that so many people will love it, they won't be able to handle the load. I really hope the cash shop model generates enough revenue to keep it going. They're going to need some beastly hardware and a crap-ton of developers to run/maintain/upgrade this thing. I just hope they can afford it all and still make a profit :)

I think it looks like a game worth trying but the cash shop is the reason i will not.I have made a stand to never again support cash shop gaming.I want 100% up front gaming,i want to know exactly what i get for money.no hidden costs in any way.

I feel like cash shop gaming is the equivalent of Lets Make a Deal with Monty Hall,you never know what is behind door #1,2 or 3.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    I'm not going to whine about the cash shop, as it has nothing thats "pay to win" at this moment. Games fun, and somehow the community, in a shooter is miles beyond the33 "Too L33T" crowd I see in pvp servers in other mmos. It will get my sub(I know its free to play, but I'm gonna sub, it's worth it in my opinion now)
  • IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    Originally posted by Gruug
    Played PS1 back in the beta days of that game. Thought it was great but couldn't do the sub model on PS1 and another MMO I was waiting for at the time. PS1 was ahead of its time back then. It looks like PS2 has every bit the potential to be a great game in its own right. My only concern is that the cash shop only option does not become a "pay to win" fiasco. The temptation will be there if for nothing else then to pay the bills. Hope they can stay away from that.

The cash shop is cosmetic only!  It's not a pay to win! All players can earn the resources in game to get their empire toys from just playing, though if you suck at twitch nothing will aid you!  There's no need to worry about it being a pay to win. I've seen the cash shop with my own eye's is all I can say. NDA wil be lifted on PS2 very soon, so all will be revealed.

• KooshdinKooshdin Member Posts: 217

Forgot about Beta NDA

so removed my post.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    dont play with music on lol.. i always have voice chat up with my clan anyway :) no need for music..
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

In the spirit of the Olympic torch, the hype torch has been passed on from GW2 to PS2. :)

In a game where PvP is all a cash shop should set alarm bells ringing. Once again we hear how it is cosmetic, once again I ask to be shown the MMO where a cash shop did not sell gameplay altering items within a year of launch.

Cash shops never start with quick travel tokens and buff potions at launch, so the Cosmetic Defence can be used, you would think after a few years of this gamers would have wised up.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by Scot

In the spirit of the Olympic torch, the hype torch has been passed on from GW2 to PS2. :)

In a game where PvP is all a cash shop should set alarm bells ringing. Once again we hear how it is cosmetic, once again I ask to be shown the MMO where a cash shop did not sell gameplay altering items within a year of launch.

Cash shops never start with quick travel tokens and buff potions at launch, so the Cosmetic Defence can be used, you would think after a few years of this gamers would have wised up.

1.  Sony has cash, they do not need to use the cash shop to keep this game afloat.  Just take a small look at what Sony has cooking compared to ANY other game company out there, they can afford a huge loss here and not even notice it.  I do not see the cash shop changing at all.  Nor do I see SOE taking a loss.

2.  The devs are enagaged with the community, they have legitmate buy in to their faction, again a google search will tell you heaps about that.

3.  The community would not stand for a pay to win model.  Based off 2, they devs have that message.  Don't trust me, get involved and research yourself, the information is out there.

If you like FPS games and have never taken a look at the Planeside games, do so.  You will not be disappoined.  NC for life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• wenom73mwenom73m Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I will  play the game  dowloads pls....?
  • TavvraTavvra 2029 CorrespondentMember Posts: 112
    Really looking forward to this and Wizardry online from SOE. Wish my beta keys would get here already.

"Yea, I've been drinking again.."

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Not followed the developement of this game, but will def be playing it.

Would like to ask if they have improved the engine from PS1 where there were limited hit boxes or something like that, implying you could not 'headshot' someone, has that changed for PS2?

• SysOpPsycheSysOpPsyche Member Posts: 103

Originally posted by VultureSkull Not followed the developement of this game, but will def be playing it.   Would like to ask if they have improved the engine from PS1 where there were limited hit boxes or something like that, implying you could not 'headshot' someone, has that changed for PS2?
    NDA.[Confirmed, NDA lifted according to Twitter from 4 Devs and Planetside Universe announcement, love how none of that is posted on the Beta Forums]. To answer your question, Yes the engine is a huge improvement - Optimisation and stability is being worked on and long range animation is bad but its a HUGE improvement already [last I checked which was a week or two ago]. You can Headshot people though only 1 faction can one shot kill with snipers/Anti-Infantry weapons presently - probably don't have to guess which faction that is if you know PS1.

However, SOE has announced that PS2 is using Forgelight engine which as you can see from the released videos is a huge improvement over PS1's engine.

Just don't confuse the Blur Trailers for gameplay.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Originally posted by Kooshdin

Forgot about Beta NDA

so removed my post.

Beta NDA has been officially lifted. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• urthal22urthal22 Member UncommonPosts: 108

So far NC as about 10 to 20% more Population than the other factions in PS2 CBT.

whats the deal with everyone trying to join the WallMart army ? x)

• sidfusidfu Member Posts: 170
    Originally posted by VultureSkull

Not followed the developement of this game, but will def be playing it.

Would like to ask if they have improved the engine from PS1 where there were limited hit boxes or something like that, implying you could not 'headshot' someone, has that changed for PS2?

yes hitboxes improved so snipers can get a  1 shot headkill on light armored targets. still not shooting thru windshieild of vech thou

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112
    My alternative for Battlefield 3. It allows me to relax from carring too much about what DICE is doing to BF franchise.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Hatefull
    Originally posted by Scot

1.  Sony has cash, they do not need to use the cash shop to keep this game afloat.  Just take a small look at what Sony has cooking compared to ANY other game company out there, they can afford a huge loss here and not even notice it.  I do not see the cash shop changing at all.  Nor do I see SOE taking a loss.

Ummm....you do understand that even Sony is in business to MAKE MONEY right? NO BUSINESS will "afford a huge loss" just for the benefit of NONE PAYING so-called "customers". IF you do not pay, they will not "keep it afloat" nor take a "huge loss" just to do so.

That whole argument is why the so-called "f2p" genre is such a lie. People begin to expect games to be "free" while the companies themselves are looking for people to spend lots of money....which makes it not free. Frankly, I would be much more comfortable if companies would stop calling it "free". I really think that in the end that calling games "free" is going to come back to bite them in the long run...just look at what was mentioned above.

Let's party like it is 1863!