Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the Launch of GW2 becoming a Disaster?

Comments

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Failings

No official forums is pretty lame in this day and age.

They never had them in GW1, game worked out just fine and still doing well years later. They were going to stick witht hat in GW2 but only recently decided to have official forums due to high demand for them after a lot of debating.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by gwei1984
    Originally posted by StarI

if you worked for ANet problems would already be fixed first day I bet!

just /facepalm

blind players that accept everything with a smile and bow are actually poison to every game

Yes I agree to an extent. He is a fine example of a blind defender trying to make everything seem fault of palyers themselves.

• ZillenZillen Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by Gaborik
    Originally posted by Zezda Game is perfectly playable. I've not had any major issues aside from the trading post being down. When you understand the way their systems work and the difference between this game and others like SW:TOR or WoW then you can appreciate a bit more just how smoothly everything is going.
    Please explain how their system is so much more superior to TOR or WoW that having bugs at launch in GW2 is any different then any other MMO?  If any other MMO had these issues 2 days (5 days) into launch this website would be fuming at the mouth. 

Get over it they are having issues at launch, the game is fun but nothing ground breaking.  Keep telling yourself they can do no wrong. 

K. I will.

Thanks for your support on this matter. It will be hard to praise GW2's name without your optimistic and helpful influence. In fact, I question my ability to even continue to function once our presence departs this forum thread.

/sarcasm Seriously now guys. It's an MMO. Freaking. Launch.

And of one of the most anticipated titles of the year. Have you seen the server populations in America alone? A bit of instability and glitch-finding is bound to occur; hence the sporadic updates.

If you don't like it, then just go home, fire up those dozens of spare servers you have in your garages, type a veritable encyclopaedia of code into your home-brew game engine and set up your own MMO designed to cater to millions at once.

What, u canno? I am disappoint.

I'm really sick of the whole "There's a massive fanbase for X", or "Y would be a WoW-killer if it just had a chance".

There is no massive conspiracy waiting in the MMO playerbase.

There are no "sleeper-agent fans" waiting to convert once the X or Y is unleashed on the world.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Scarlyng

1) meh, don't care

2) meh, don't care, it'll be up soon enough

3) minor inconvenience, lasted a very short time

4) none experienced here

5) source?

6) source?

7) haven't experienced this

Posts of this sort were to be expected.  Without backing up your assertions, it looks as if you were a doom'n'gloomer and are now looking for the rotten egg in the carton.  Each to his own, I suppose, but I'm NOT buying into your doom'n'gloom.

From my persepective, I've seen very few problems, and only had minor issues that have not really negatively impacted my enjoyment of the game. Ommv, but I am having more fun in an online game than I have had in many years.

They stated somewhere that they had a few hacker incidents (facebook I think)... other than that I totally agree with you.  I think some people see everyone enjoying a game and they want to try and be a Buzzkiliton; "Hey I'm cool because I disagree with you".

Look at these forums compared to other MMO's at launch... you can tell a difference in the amount of satisfied people.  This game is great and once they do iron out the bugs it's gonna be an unstoppable force.  I bet Blizzard is already working to change WoW to be more like GW2.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    I have my issues with GW2 but the launch has NOT been a disaster. Yes there are difficulties. The first log in issue to me was the worst but the lack of forums ranks high as well. All that said, I have been playing the game with a minimum of issues since Saturday. That, to me, is a success.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

I only got access to the game yesterday but it has the most problems I have had with a game launch for years.

I am stuck in overflows with hardly any players, can't join friends, can't join my guild, can't talk to anyone but map chat.

Heavy lag spikes, constant disconnects due to my firewall when my firewall is OFF. 

A sort of omni present lag that when playing a ranged character is managable but when playing melee is just dire and soul destroying.

No trading, no mail either.

The game is up and you can play it, but that's about as far as it goes so far. I really enjoyed the betas but currently all of those problems just make the game annoying to play. 

Same issues here. I guess we are BOTH just being over dramatic tho...amiright?

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Smoothest Launch? Hell no

Disastrous Launch? Hell no

Gone fairly well in my opinion really. Although seems to me pending on your choice of server your feelings about this launch may vary.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

Originally posted by Aelious
    You just explained things that happen in every MMO on a daily basis. No, it's not the worst and for the most part people are able to log in and play just fine. The only universal problem with playing the game seems to be the broker (which is up now right?) and the mail system (up?).You causin' trouble? /narroweye

lol your really need to start playing better games if this is daily problems for you...

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891
    Originally posted by Atlan99

1) No forums.

No big surprise there.  GW1 never even had official forums.  I wouldn't be surprised if the unnofficial GW2 forums remained the place of congregation.

2)Trading Post down

When I was your age I had to stand by a torch for hours trying to peddle my wares, and I did it with only ONE SHOE!... Kidding aside, I am sure this will be fixed...and cookie goes out to whoeever gets the reference! <3

3)Mail System taken down sporadically

When I was your age........kidding.  Sure it will be fixed but it is very annoying that thi sis the only way we can trade to other players.

4)Rubberbanding/Lag Issues

Play Anarchy Online for some real rubberbanding.  Then againt hat last stress test...whenever I did a jump attack at a MoB I jumped halfwat accross the zone instead.  Yeah..Arenanet should get busy if this is a problem for people.  I have not found this to be an issue at all in live on the Tarnished Coast.

5)Accounts Hacked/Accounts Banned

I blame the players here.   Fess up! They don't scan their computer with reliable security software and are constantly seeding torrents while logging in.  They're also clicking on links in emails and trusting that it is leading them to the legitimate site where they are entiering their credentials.  Don't do any of the above stuff and make a dedicated gmail account just for your game.  Also follow their instructions.

People who get banned: At least it's temporary.  Next time read the naming policy.

6)Little Accountability/Support

I have made several support messages to them and they always answered within 24 hours.  They problem I find is that it might be a little hidden for those people who are always getten bit by snakes.

7)Bugged Guild Tabs/WvWvW Tabs

Yeah....but at least you can talk to your guild or not get bumped out of thr guild channel constantly.  I'm looking at you TSW!! GRRRR!!

This launch seems to get worse with every passing day and Arenanet's ability to cope seems in question. Is this launch starting to spin out of control and become a disaster?

The other thing that seems very troubling, is having to go to third parties to find out what is going on.

At least GW2 boasts the community from GW1 which has some very friendly and helpful people. 

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Definately no smooth launch. There are still some annoying issues that have to be dealt with.

1. When partymembers are divided over different overflow servers, you are supposed to be able to join each other with the 'join in area' option. This doesn't work at all for most players. This is my current main issue. I haven't been able to play with my friends since headstart.

2. Mail system goes down all the time. This is also an annoying problem, because you can't trade items with other players in the way you do in other MMO's. It has to go through mail.

3. Guild system is very unreliable. Some members can't represent the guild, while others can.

4. Trade post is down most of the time. We are starting to see the GW1 type WTS spam in chat. I don't mind this myself yet, because the low lvl greens I loot, are looted by 23847987354 other players so wouldn't sell anyway.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Gone fairly well in my opinion really. Although seems to me pending on your choice of server your feelings about this launch may vary.

Yeah it is somehwre in between. Who says it is the smoothest and greatest launch EVAHH!! are full of it just like who say it is the worst.

Bite Me

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by Nikkita

Yeah it is somehwre in between. Who says it is the smoothest and greatest launch EVAHH!! are full of it just like who say it is the worst.

.. I can understand for those who have had little to no problems it has been a smooth launch, while for those that have suffered it's been a disaster .. But takin everything as a whole and not just personal experience it's  like you say between the two

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Xsyon was a disaster. Mourning Realms of Krell was a disaster. This is hiccups. People need some perspective.
    We tend to overreact here, particularly with predictions of doom.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AtibraAtibra Member Posts: 65

Why not take it line by line from initial experience:

- Launching the Game:  Very few problems that I've seen or heard from around the web.

- Logging In:  Very few problems that I've seen or heard from around the web.

- Character Creation:  Haven't heard of any negative problems at all.

- Guilding:  Lots of compltains/problems I've seen or heard specific to people getting kicked randomly, being unable to join guilds, display problems within Guild Information etc.. (part of this has been fixed)

- Chat:  Very few problems that I've seen or heard from around the web.

- Questing:  Very few problems that I've seen or heard from around the web.

- Dungeons:   Lots of complaints/problems I've seen or heard from around the web - group members getting dropped into their own instanance, not being able to enter etc..

- Gathering:  Haven't heard of any negative problems at all.

- Crafting:  Haven't heard of any negative problems at all.

- Mail:  Lots of complaints/problems I've seen or heard from around the web - inability to send mail specifics, and due to lack of character - character trading, lots of rage associated to this.

- Trading Post:   Lots of complaints/problems I've seen or heard from around the web - primarily the fact that it's almost never up, or it's only up for certain people - granting a potential advantage.

- Forums:   Lots of compltains/problems I've seen or heard from the web - primarily, they don't exist.

So, in Summary:

Yes, from a single player linear progression perspective, the game is performing EXTREMELY well.  Creation, Questing, Leveling, Gathering, Crafting .. are all working great, so no single individual is currently limited in their advancement or experience within the game.

However, from a multi-player/community perspective, the game is performing EXTREMELY poorly.  Lack of forums, broken guilds, broken mail, broken Trading Post, inability to Dungeon - are all broken, so groups of individuals are currently limited in their advancement and experience within the game.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Not poor support - people need to learn to read!!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/z1poz/guild_wars_2_status_wednesday_august_29/

This is the current status of the most important issues we're tracking with Guild Wars 2 live service.

Account security - We're seeing an uptick in reports of account theft and attempted account theft. We believe hackers are using databases of email addresses and passwords stolen from other games and web sites, and pre-existing trojan horses, to search for matching Guild Wars 2 accounts which they attempt to compromise. To prevent this, we have temporarily disabled the "reset password" feature, and we're working to bring email authentication online. To protect yourself, please ensure that you use a unique password for Guild Wars 2 that you don't use for any other game, email account, forum or web account.

Email authentication - Email authentication is a feature that notifies you if someone tries to log into your account from a location you've never logged in from before. Thus, even if someone guesses your game password, he can't log in unless he also guesses your email account password. You can make email authentication even more secure by using an email provider that supports two-factor authentication, such as Google or Yahoo, and taking advantage of that. We're currently preparing email authentication and intend to deploy it in a phased rollout, starting on Thursday, August 30.

Parties, guilds, etc. - Parties, guilds, and other social features are periodically failing. This causes issues such as party members not appearing on the map, and party members not staying in the same overflow servers as they travel between maps. This happens particularly during times of peak usage. We're working to fix related problems and mitigate this issue with each subsequent update.

Worlds - Many worlds are filling up. We're keeping the number of worlds constrained so that worlds stay well populated even after the initial surge of high concurrency. However, we will add worlds as necessary. As of Wednesday, August 30, all German language worlds are full and all French language worlds are at high usage, so we're adding two new German language worlds and one new French language world.

Overflow worlds - During this initial surge of high concurrency, and especially while many characters are low-level and thus playing in the same starting areas, it's common for players to be directed to overflow maps. If you want to play with a friend, but you’re not on the same overflow map, you can form a party together, then right-click on your friend's portrait in the party list and click "join". Note that this functionality is sometimes intermittently unavailable due to the "parties, guilds, etc." issues noted above.

Trading Post - We're working to bring the Trading Post back online. To help test, we've temporarily made it available to a random 15% of players, while we work to resolve remaining capacity constraints that will allow us to open it to everyone.

Edit: We have completed our live testing of the Trading Post for today and the Trading Post is now in maintenance for all players. Thank you everyone that participated; this test has helped us tremendously.

In-game mail - We detected a potential abuse of the in-game mail system and have temporarily disabled in-game mail to prevent any such abuse. We'll reenable it soon, hopefully in tonight's update.

Edit: The fact that in-game mail is disabled means that it's currently impossible for account hackers to loot stolen accounts, so we're going to leave it disabled for just a little while longer, while we work to ramp up email authentication.

Botting - We'll start substantial banning of bots on Wednesday, August 29. Since we're currently seeing widespread casual, unsophisticated botting, we will start with 72-hour bans for first offenses. In the coming days, as we address the casual botting problem, we plan to switch to our normal policy of permanently banning anyone who runs a bot.

Forums - Our most important priority at the moment is to ensure that the game runs stably and flawlessly. So as to not create additional demand on our infrastructure and on our programming team, we made the decision not to open the forums until the initial mass influx of players has calmed down a bit.

Next software updates - The next update of the game server and back-end server software will take place tonight at midnight Seattle time. The game may be unavailable for approximately 20-60 minutes while we perform the update. We expect this update to have fixes for email authentication and in-game mail. Our continued work on the Trading Post is not tied to game updates, so we will continue to test Trading Post updates throughout the day.

As I said - they have good support - people just have to read and not react...

If the information above was actually posted on the Guild Wars 2 website, in a highly visible location - letting the community know they are aware of the issues and working to address them.  Then, that is good Support and Supportability...

The fact that it's posted on Reddit - is actually bad support.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Atibra

However, from a multi-player/community perspective, the game is performing EXTREMELY poorly.  Lack of forums, broken guilds, broken mail, broken Trading Post, inability to Dungeon - are all broken, so groups of individuals are currently limited in their advancement and experience within the game.

The problem with some of the multiplayer/community issues is they seem to be related to how populated your server is. For instance, some are having issues apparently ongoing with grouping making it virtually impossible for them to run a dungeon. Yet for me personally I haven't had this problem. I have run AC twice now with no issues. Not that I'm defending Anet. The stuff needs fixed and I agree as well as sympathize with those having issues. Then you have those that wouldn't use the functions that are broken so far as they're concerned it isn't an issue.

I think this is why you can have one person ranting about an issue while another dismisses it and says it isn't even happening or big deal. Gamers more than any other group I have ever seen as a whole fucking fail hard at being able to see things from outside their own personal perspective. Pretty much a running trend with a lot here.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

The problem with some of the multiplayer/community issues is they seem to be related to how populated your server is. For instance some are having issues apparently ongoing with grouping making it virtually impossible for the to run a dungeon. Yet for me personally I haven't had this problem. I have run AC twice now with no issues. Not that I'm defending Anet. The stuff needs fixed and I agree as well as sympathize with those having issues. Then you have those that wouldn;t use the functions that are broken so far as they're concerned it isn't an issue.

I think this is why you can have one person ranting about an issue another dismisses and syays it isn't even happening. Gamers more than any other group I have ever seen as a whole fucking fail ahrd at being able to see things from outside their own personal perspective. Pretty much a running trend with a lot here.

100% agreed - is why I was just trying to approach the issue from both sides....

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

If the information above was actually posted on the Guild Wars 2 website, in a highly visible location - letting the community know they are aware of the issues and working to address them.  Then, that is good Support and Supportability...

The fact that it's posted on Reddit - is actually bad support.

Or how about at least a front page link to redddit. They posted photos of them eating cupcakes, why not a simple link?

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Yeah, definately a disaster - for every other MMO out there.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• Ianb4allIanb4all Member UncommonPosts: 77
    You just explained things that happen in every MMO on a daily basis. No, it's not the worst and for the most part people are able to log in and play just fine. The only universal problem with playing the game seems to be the broker (which is up now right?) and the mail system (up?).

You causin' trouble? /narroweye

Broker hasnt been up- was up for a few minutes yesterday but now down again and not been up- mail system is not up and hasnt been up since they took it off (only let 15% of ht eplayers who no doubt are thier firends and collegues) have access to mail- its down till they roll out new authenticating methods- as to when that is could take weeks as they dont tell us anything!

apart from the lack of info and down trading post /mail the game is fine- I am enjoying it- just wish they would fix the mail system FAST as need new bags and my proffesion doesnt make bags - jewelcrafter/chef!

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Been playing for 2 days and got 1 disconection. It's not bad, for a newly launched mmo. The word dissaster should be used when a disaster happens, you know like game client failing to launch, pachting not working and servers down for days, I'd call something like this a disaster, sure they had that login problem on pre release but they fixed it in just some hours.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by Ianb4all
    You just explained things that happen in every MMO on a daily basis. No, it's not the worst and for the most part people are able to log in and play just fine. The only universal problem with playing the game seems to be the broker (which is up now right?) and the mail system (up?).

You causin' trouble? /narroweye

Broker hasnt been up- was up for a few minutes yesterday but now down again and not been up- mail system is not up and hasnt been up since they took it off (only let 15% of ht eplayers who no doubt are thier firends and collegues) have access to mail- its down till they roll out new authenticating methods- as to when that is could take weeks as they dont tell us anything!

apart from the lack of info and down trading post /mail the game is fine- I am enjoying it- just wish they would fix the mail system FAST as need new bags and my proffesion doesnt make bags - jewelcrafter/chef!

you can start new crafting professions without loosing your progress on that ones.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

They are posting in at least 3 places - Reddit, Facebook, and Twitter. They are also more than likely posting on one or 2 of the regular GW2 fan forums. Remember in GW1, they did not have there own forum, they used the fan forums to announce things.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/  and several others.

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263

Why i disaster... It had it flaws like any other launch, but not a disaster at all.

Im level 58 with a couple disconnections since day one, the only thing bothering me, and still not much, is the trading system.