Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I normally don't complain, but worst communication ever.

Comments

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034
    read twitter or reddit OP.
  • stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Originally posted by ForumPvP
    Originally posted by stayBlind
    Originally posted by MaraGossep
    The game is great, but the lack of communication via their own website about patches and downtime is slightly annoying.

Do you know how to internet?

How did you find your way here?

www.google.com

Try Google guild wars 2 problem

about 31 700 000 hits.

How cool is that.

or error code 42 gives 200,000+ hits.

compared to one site.

but its players fault ? they dont know how to Google ?

No, it's the player's fault because they are too stupid to use logic and common sense instead of whining.

When they do not have forums (with reasoning that they've posted on various sites) where do you think they would post stuff? 

Probably to the popular media sites that THEY LINK TO ON THE LAUNCHER.

You people wonder why games hold your hands so much these days and complain day in and day out about it on this site (because people like you are too lazy and stupid to think). 

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    The game is great, but the lack of communication via their own website about patches and downtime is slightly annoying.

www.google.com

about 31 700 000 hits.

How cool is that.

compared to one site.

No, it's the player's fault because they are too stupid to use logic and common sense instead of whining.

When they do not have forums (with reasoning that they've posted on various sites) where do you think they would post stuff? 

Maybe you should write a letter to anet then and tell them what you wrote above.

Let's internet

www.google.com

about 31 700 000 hits.

How cool is that.

compared to one site.

Maybe you should write a letter to anet then and tell that what you wrote above.

Maybe you should write a letter to me telling me to write a letter to anet to tell them what I told you (that they told me).

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

I also don't use facebook or twitter for various reason and am used to primarily going to the source for information on a particular games progress or updates. I am sure this will all calm down when ANet gets their forums up and running and ideally we will find most of the news and info their.

In the meantime, its not too complicated to find news by sidestepping fb and twitter and searching the web for what you need.  I honestly hadn't bothered looking up any info lately since I am too busy playing the game and loving every second of it btw!

I have faith that the issues occuring in game will iron out in due time.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

www.google.com

about 31 700 000 hits.

How cool is that.

compared to one site.

You people wonder why games hold your hands so much these days and complain day in and day out about it on this site (because people like you are too lazy and stupid to think). 

Why is "holding a hand" so bad? Because it is patronizing?

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by itchmon
    i do understand that social networking sites like facebook and twitter are the wave of the future and everything but still official forums would be nice.  some of us would prefer to get our infos through forums plus forums make it easier to search for info compared to looking through a linear twitter feed.

Actually, this social networking nonsense is more a thing of the past (at least in its current form). You might be interested in the main demographics of such sites these days.  Teenage girls and the geriatrics brigade to a large extent.  Being part of the brigade, I never have and I doubt I ever will have a Face Palm account, but then I'm one of the exceptions. 

Over all GW2's launch went off with relatively few problems. Compared to some launches I've seen. With Anarchy Onlines launch still the worst in MMO history.  While Trions Rift being one of the better ones. 

Some problems at launch are only to be expected. Given that the hardware/software (client server) is some of the most complex in existence, thats only to be expected. But it seems that they have dealt with it in a fairly timely fashion, so on we go. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

www.google.com

about 31 700 000 hits.

How cool is that.

compared to one site.

I have no problem with 'holding a hand'. I do have a problem with people who complain about how games 'holds their hand', yet they are too lazy to use logic to figure things out themselves (thus forcing the game to 'hold their hand').

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

Anet seems to be going out of their way to keep players in the dark. Still no official forums, they are constantly patching without any notes, trading post has been down for 5 days now without any word(at least not that i've seen).And now mail doesnt work either, so there is effectively no way to trade between players.

I checked their Twitter but that just seems full of players looking for tech support(since there  are no forums) and the twitter response sending them to contact support. Facebook just seems to have pictures of cake and posts about launch parties.

I really don't normally complain, but I just thought it was worth mentioned that i've played many MMOs at launch and never has one left their players so in the dark about major features being turned off.

Exactly,  I do complain when its ridiculous....Other than a few old school mmo's like SWG which weren't meant to have an AH...Who launches without any way to trade with other players or an AH......This is the worst launch ever....

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Shubawkss
    They've been consistently posting updates on Twitter and Facebook - you know, that thing the other 90% of the world uses, and you are trying to be #1 against? Yeah, that thing - yous hould try it sometime.

Maybe the 90% of the people you know use Twitter and Facebook. Most of the people that I know tried them and quit them (worried about security or privacy issues). You may live in a wired world but that does not mean that the rest of the world does. As a matter of fact MOST of the people in the world (since they live in the Third World countries) don't have computers!

Although I applaud Anet for producing some form of communication the failure to bring up the forums does not impress me as top level support. The forums are the first line of communication with the user. The forums should be the FIRST thing brought up. That way when they solve problems the users can read that an issue has been solved. This should reduce the number of duplicate support calls possibly dramatically.

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Shubawkss
    They've been consistently posting updates on Twitter and Facebook - you know, that thing the other 90% of vapid self-important narcissists use, and you are trying to be #1 against? Yeah, that thing - yous hould try it sometime.

There, fixed it.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

www.google.com

about 31 700 000 hits.

How cool is that.

compared to one site.

I have no problem with 'holding a hand'. I do have a problem with people who complain about how games 'holds their hand', yet they are too lazy to use logic to figure things out themselves (thus forcing the game to 'hold their hand').

Does that work the other way around too? I.e. does it apply to people who embrace Guild Wars 2's stance of being casual-friendly? I mean, according to you, if they want to be consistent, they have then to want Guild Wars 2 to keep on walking on the beaten path, which means that they have to get a forum and keep information flowing through official 1st-party channels.

• I have to adamantly disagree with the OP.  Anet has probably the best communication of any MMO that I've played.  Sure it's not ideal to get the information from a third party site, but it's not like they are hiding from us like other MMO's have done when they are having issues.  Anet constantly keeps us updated via facebook, twitter, and reddit (among other sites).  Heck, I'm not really into the whole social media site stuff and don't even have a facebook or twitter account, but I don't mind at all going to the GW2 pages on those sites just for updates.
  • OtashiOtashi Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Haters gotta hate... facebook and twitter is updated 50 times a day lol .. how is that not communicating ! :)
  • FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

I do not use twitter or facebook, I don't have an account for either one of them. All I did was add GW2 twitter and facebook to my RSS reader. I get all the messages and can easily keep up with the current state of the game.

I do wish they had a better way of getting out the most important info...but I do understand that most people have facebook and twitter accounts and use those services constantly, so it probably is the best way to reach the most possible people quickly (from ArenaNet's perspective).

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Eberhardt
    Anet has the best communication with their communit that I have ever seen. Seriously, I've played plenty of MMO's in the past and when things happen they simply tell us "Were working on it" and then leave us be for a month. Anet is giving us updates on their twitter and facebook every 5 minutes or so...It's pretty awesome. A whole-nother level of interconnectivity between player and dev.

Yeah, I'm agreeing with you.  I've seen multiple posts about the mail and trading post from facebook, twitter and even when you log on.  Not sure what OP means worse communication ever... I guess he expects them to call him on his home phone and explain that this is a launch and there are a few minor bugs to work out. 

www.google.com

about 31 700 000 hits.

How cool is that.

compared to one site.

Does that work the other way around too? I.e. does it apply to people who embrace Guild Wars 2's stance of being casual-friendly? I mean, according to you, if they want to be consistent, they have then to want Guild Wars 2 to keep on walking on the beaten path, which means that they have to get a forum and keep information flowing through official 1st-party channels.

Yea, which they've stated that they will.

I've never launched a MMO and have never worked with a team of 250+ people on a software product; if ANet says they want to focus resources on the game instead of the forums right now I guess I'll just take their word for it.

They probably are better informed and in a better position to make that call than someone who sits on forums and whines about how ANet runs their company.

Originally posted by Fozzik

I do not use twitter or facebook, I don't have an account for either one of them. All I did was add GW2 twitter and facebook to my RSS reader. I get all the messages and can easily keep up with the current state of the game.

I do wish they had a better way of getting out the most important info...but I do understand that most people have facebook and twitter accounts and use those services constantly, so it probably is the best way to reach the most possible people quickly (from ArenaNet's perspective).

They are also using many avenues of communication that do not require signing up to view....

• bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380

Surely, I can't be the only person who read that response about leaving the forums down to reduce strain on the infrastructure and ensure "flawless" gameplay and thought it was a line of BS. I would think that if any company intending to maintain a AAA MMO with 1M+ users had serious concerns that hosting official forums would cause instability of their game servers, then they have VERY serious issues with their infrastructure...and from my time with GW2 and experience with it's smooth, mostly lag-free play, I don't think that's  the case.

I think it's more likely that they made the conscious decision to leave their forums down at launch because they realized they were going to have a bit of a rocky start and wanted to minimize the amount of bitching from the vocal minority of their playerbase. The problem is that it sort of backfired, because that vocal minority (and anyone with legitimate issues that just wants to communicate with ANet) now has to take their issues to the internet at large rather than to an official ANet forum with in-house moderation. Could some of the rage-induced "0" ratings on Metacritic have been avoided if a player with a problem had an open line of communication with ANet to quickly resolve their issue? Possibly.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,062
    Originally posted by jdnyc

Having a million plus people playing your game with no in-game support, no phone number to call, no forums, no live chat on your website is a big setback for a MMORPG.  Especially one as huge as GW2 is.  They should of known what was coming and been better prepared to handle the massive influx of players/support tickets.  There's no defense for it.  none.

Third-Party social networking sites as the main resource to communicate with your customers is not acceptable.

That said.  The game is awesome.  Love WvW.  IMHO - I accept that I'm on my own (at least for a few days) if I have a major issue, that's what you get with a no sub MMORPG.  

Youre just going to have to get over that, bud. It's the new norm. Why pay tons of money to set up a dedicated support center when you can do it all yourself and keep contact with facebook. That and it is quite acceptable and very intelligent on their part. Everyone has a facebook, but not everyone visits their homepage. Some people even have FB set as their browsers homepage. So it makes it easy for players to see updates on fixes and things in the works. It's much more work to update your own website with updates than it is to update a facebook page and more feasible. People check their FB more than they check anything else...and younger people live on FB.

I need examples of how it's the new norm for AAA MMORPG's to have FB as their primary means of communication. Also, don't assume everyone uses FB. I can't stand FB, because I don't think anyone needs to know my business, plus potential employers will look at that sort of stuff.

Originally posted by bonzoso21

Surely, I can't be the only person who read that response about leaving the forums down to reduce strain on the infrastructure and ensure "flawless" gameplay and thought it was a line of BS. I would think that if any company intending to maintain a AAA MMO with 1M+ users had serious concerns that hosting official forums would cause instability of their game servers, then they have VERY serious issues with their infrastructure...and from my time with GW2 and experience with it's smooth, mostly lag-free play, I don't think that's  the case.

I think it's more likely that they made the conscious decision to leave their forums down at launch because they realized they were going to have a bit of a rocky start and wanted to minimize the amount of bitching from the vocal minority of their playerbase. The problem is that it sort of backfired, because that vocal minority (and anyone with legitimate issues that just wants to communicate with ANet) now has to take their issues to the internet at large rather than to an official ANet forum with in-house moderation. Could some of the rage-induced "0" ratings on Metacritic have been avoided if a player with a problem had an open line of communication with ANet to quickly resolve their issue? Possibly.

Perhaps the fact that I have had little to no bugs during gameplay thus far is partly due to the fact that ANet used their manpower to reduce bugs rather than to work on forums?

If they get back fire from their choices then they will have to live with that. Why do you care?

Are you a shareholder?

Are you an employee of ANet?

Captain Hindsight to the rescue!!

I think its harder than you or I realize, and there is a reason behind the choices they made. As I've stated previously: I guarantee ANet is better suited to make such choices than me or you.

After all, it is easy to sit here and talk about how ANet should run their company (since we know better than them how to make a game and run a game studio).

Originally posted by nate1980
    Originally posted by jdnyc

Having a million plus people playing your game with no in-game support, no phone number to call, no forums, no live chat on your website is a big setback for a MMORPG.  Especially one as huge as GW2 is.  They should of known what was coming and been better prepared to handle the massive influx of players/support tickets.  There's no defense for it.  none.

Third-Party social networking sites as the main resource to communicate with your customers is not acceptable.

That said.  The game is awesome.  Love WvW.  IMHO - I accept that I'm on my own (at least for a few days) if I have a major issue, that's what you get with a no sub MMORPG.  

Youre just going to have to get over that, bud. It's the new norm. Why pay tons of money to set up a dedicated support center when you can do it all yourself and keep contact with facebook. That and it is quite acceptable and very intelligent on their part. Everyone has a facebook, but not everyone visits their homepage. Some people even have FB set as their browsers homepage. So it makes it easy for players to see updates on fixes and things in the works. It's much more work to update your own website with updates than it is to update a facebook page and more feasible. People check their FB more than they check anything else...and younger people live on FB.

I need examples of how it's the new norm for AAA MMORPG's to have FB as their primary means of communication. Also, don't assume everyone uses FB. I can't stand FB, because I don't think anyone needs to know my business, plus potential employers will look at that sort of stuff.

Yea, it would totally be better if they didn't use anything until they get their forums up, right?

Do you not realize that they are using social media sites as a TEMPORARY solution until they get the forums up?

I would hardly consider that they are using FB as their 'primary' means of communication since they are using MULTIPLE sites to try to stay in touch with the consumers.

• bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380

Perhaps the fact that I have had little to no bugs during gameplay thus far is partly due to the fact that ANet used their manpower to reduce bugs rather than to work on forums?

If they get back fire from their choices then they will have to live with that. Why do you care?

Are you a shareholder?

The "Why do you care?" response? Sorry, I thought these were gaming-related forums intended to be used by people who enjoyed discussing the gaming industry. I didn't know critical thinking was looked down on.

Are you a shareholder?

The "Why do you care?" response? Sorry, I thought these were gaming-related forums intended to be used by people who enjoyed discussing the gaming industry. I didn't know critical thinking was looked down on.

They should have done [insert armchair developer opinion here].

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

They are also using many avenues of communication that do not require signing up to view....

I just explained that I didn't have to sign up for anything. I added their twitter and facebook feeds to my RSS reader. I was trying to be helpful to others who don't have accounts with those services. ;-)

I'm interested, though. What other avenues are they using besides twitter and facebook? I already have their news feed from the main website in my RSS reader...but if there are more avenues I would be interested in adding them. =)