Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't want a savior of the industry...

I don't want a complete rethinking of questing...

I don't want an end to the trinity...

I don't want dynamic open world pve...

I don't really want any of the things that may or may not have been achieved recently by a game that will remain nameless...

I just want DAoC 2.

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    What were some of the features you liked best about DAoC?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by Hardanger

I just want DAoC 2.

Assuming that an empty box labled "DAoC 2" isn't going to satify you, you need to clarify what you mean.  What's the difference between the current game and your imagined sequel?

Does it matter to you whether or not data/characters from the old game are preserved?

Would a new graphical engine but no actual gameplay changes suffice?

What about the reverse - an expansion pack on the same engine as today but just omitting any need to play through old content?

If something in between, do you imagine a reboot containing all the content/references from all the expansions of the original or are you content to go back to a game of a size and complexity similar to its original launch?

What exactly (aside from a new marketting campaign and possibly everyone starting over with new characters) do you intend to accomplish with a revolution over an evolution?

(er ... I'm not trying to sound discouraging - just trying to understand your expecations)

• rissiesrissies Member Posts: 161

The idea of an MMO savior at all is pretty much ridiculous. Can't we just be satisfied with finding a game that we enjoy playing?

• PravanaPravana Member Posts: 48

I'm really having fun in GW2, but I don't think anyone wants "one game to rule them all". There's no variety or choice with that scenario. So lets hope for innovation across the board instead of an "MMO savior".

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by rissies

The idea of an MMO savior at all is pretty much ridiculous. Can't we just be satisfied with finding a game that we enjoy playing?

Satisfaction is an elusive state ... not everyone can zen out at will.

• EberhardtEberhardt Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by Pravana

I'm really having fun in GW2, but I don't think anyone wants "one game to rule them all". There's no variety or choice with that scenario. So lets hope for innovation across the board instead of an "MMO savior".

Agreed. In fact we've all seen the "one game to rule them all" scenario, World of Warcraft. It ruled the industry for nearly a decade at this point and no other game could compete. So it was pretty much the only good thing to play as everything else was quickly shot down by either its fans or by its lack of quality.

The OP sounds like my co-worker, julie. She plays WoW and loves to sit back and press 3 and 4 during raids. She also loves gathering and crafting for hours on end(nothing wrong with that :D). She tried to play GW2 on my account and the second she realized that mobs hurt and are smart and that she had to be engaged in the game...she was out! She also likes having roles in a raid. She loves blaming her healer, though.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I could care less about saving the genre, I'm more interested in saving the genre for me. Everyone that wants can go ahead and play all the games with OWPvP, loot stealing, greifing, ganking, resource competition, LF heals, LF tank,  Box+sub+CS, gear grind, and elitism.  They can have it.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• EberhardtEberhardt Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    I could care less about saving the genre, I'm more interested in saving the genre for me. Everyone that wants can go ahead and play all the games with OWPvP, loot stealing, greifing, ganking, resource competition, LF heals, LF tank,  Box+sub+CS, gear grind, and elitism.  They can have it.

+10 internets for you! I'm right behind you! Gimme that GW2!

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by eyelolled

Sadly, there's not enough of that to go around. Everything is becoming more skewed towards the opposite direction. If I was you I'd be happy.

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87
    All I want is a decent space sim that's twitch-based and not eve...that's all, why is that too much to ask for, devs, why?!?!? 
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I think I'm just tired of the genre.  The more MMORPGs become "next generation", the less interest I have in playing.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by maplestone

Satisfaction is an elusive state ... not everyone can zen out at will.

Satisfaction is not good enough.  I demand Euphoria!  *grin*

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433

I don't want a complete rethinking of questing...

I don't want an end to the trinity...

I don't want dynamic open world pve...

I don't really want any of the things that may or may not have been achieved recently by a game that will remain nameless...

I just want DAoC 2.

Hundreds of thousands of us want DAoC 2, but EA canned both DAoC related projects already.

And as of now, I don't trust any company working with EA. We'd get a worse version of DAoC than exists now if EA had their hands in a sequel.

Even the original creators of the game can't get other publishers to stay out. TESO's head guys are former DAoC folks, and they spent the first month talking about how amazing public dungeons were (which is true) and why they should be in MMOs.... then Zenimax stepped in and made them put in instances and phasing to appease the WoW kiddies.

So long as publishers rule this genre, we won't get games like DAoC 2. We'll have to settle for something passable like GW2.

If Mythic just rolled back the code to Shrouded Isles and changed nothing except bug fixes and optimizations and buff bots... that'd be great.

No ToA, no /level 20, no artifacts, no instances, no solo rush to level cap, no desolate starter areas, no archers being casters, no tanks being useless, just good, solid, well designed DAoC.

Not when 95% of all big budget MMOs play like clones of one another, and clones of a fairly poorly designed game at that (WoW). All the other millions of players have no game to go to... so unless you're saying "why can't we just be satisfied with nothing" then...

• HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226

Well this meant to be quite a silly little thread, so anybody accusing me of having one attitude or another is being a bit too serious.

My main point is that I wish we could revive the idea of simple, functional, open world faction based pvp.  Why not in the form of DAoC 2?

I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't really know what I'm talking about though.

• vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191

My main point is that I wish we could revive the idea of simple, functional, open world faction based pvp.  Why not in the form of DAoC 2?

I guess the irony is that GW2 is closest think to that there is available. :)

But as your title says, the whole savior thing is stupid. There are different games and different people. Some people like that, some that, some both. There is no race between games that needs to be won, just play and have fun.

Regarding GW2 I guess the whole savior things got started as GW2 does boast lots of innovative mechanics but it's still just a game! Most people do approach these things rationally but in internet vocal minority is always a majority ;)

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    The OP was either 10 or 12 years old when DAoC came out.  I'm not saying that he is not old enough to remember.  But most likely their dad was the one playing, by modem. 

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

Originally posted by Konfess
    The OP was either 10 or 12 years old when DAoC came out.  I'm not saying that he is not old enough to remember.  But most likely their dad was the one playing, by modem. 

Why do you say that? DAoC was one of the most perfeclty designed MMOs ever released.

• HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226

That's true.  I never did play the game during its prime.  I've played it since and talked to people about the way it used to be and so on.  

I admitted to not really knowing what I'm talking about.  *shrug*

That's true.  I never did play the game during its prime.  I've played it since and talked to people about the way it used to be and so on.  

I admitted to not really knowing what I'm talking about.  *shrug*

Nothing wrong with that. There was a reason it was the second most popular MMO of its time. It's a damn good game, one of the best ever made.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Well one thing I will agree with is that you used to know what you got. The last years almost every MMO went F2P, I don't know what I'm getting when I buy the game. Do I get all the content, part of the content, will I need to spend cash eventually, is the cash shop for or not.
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    I don't think something like DAoC would work with the current community. When it was released compared to now the community has changed for the worse.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151
    The OP just needs something to complain about, much like many other MMO players. GW2 is a solid game, sorry it had a successful launch and more people aren't complaining...like you. You're very much a minority here. You're opinion has been heard, but no one cares.
  • TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    I just want the next gen MMO's to come out, time to start using these i5's and i7's for more then rendering video quickly.
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Originally posted by ace80k
    The OP just needs something to complain about, much like many other MMO players. GW2 is a solid game, sorry it had a successful launch and more people aren't complaining...like you. You're very much a minority here. You're opinion has been heard, but no one cares.

Substitute Successful for standard. the game triped and fell flat on its face with the Trade post, Accounts being hacked right out the gate and other things ive heard complained about multiple times.

The start hasnt been successful its been standard. all games stumble out of the gate before running to the finish line.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.