Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what bothers you about this game?

Comments

• HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226

I can't quite put my finger on it just yet, but it does bother me.

I think I was expecting it to be more like Guild Wars.

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246

Besides the fact that it doesn't have one of the NPCs mail my boss a convincing letter explaining why it's vitally important that I stay home and play it instead of coming to work, currently nothing major. 

The only big gripe I had was vanished today once I discovered that the small bank space wasn't a sneaky plan to make you spend money because they had kindly included a HUGE depositable bank for crafting materials.

Other than that, small gripes include:

1. Occasional crashing once there's a lot of action going on (entirely to be expected in the first few days of release and the age of my PC)

2. Longievity issues if I keep overplaying it (again this would be my own fault)

That said it is only the day 5 so I'm sure, being the hard to please human scum that we are, surely other things will present themselves in time. 

EDIT: oh, I forgot one thing. I said this a while ago on this forum and someone thought I was 'trolling' but I largely can't stand the voice acting. I thought this was pretty bad when I played Charr in beta and the utterly bland voices didn't come close to matching the big nasty ferocity of these characetrs but it's even WORSE on the Asura where the voices are just plain irritating and the dialogue is straight out of some 'quirky' US daytime comedy that uses phrases like 'Hellloooo?! Whatever' or 'like totally and stuff'. Thankfully I enjoy the gameplay too much for this to be a problem.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by vee41
    Originally posted by Caldrin

* Very very very very boring heart quests, that have taken the standard kill or collect quests and made them take twice as long and boring. Good job

* So called dynamic events and not really dynamic other than the time they happen. Well this is the case in the first few zones I have been in. Only lvl 25 so far so still got a bit to go. Also some of the dynamic events are just as bad as the heart quests.

Agree on hearts, luckily there should be less and less more you advance in the game. I usually skip them completely.

But dynamic events, sigh. :) I just wrote a blog post why dynamic events are awesome, I recommend you check it out!

Yeah I did say some of the dynamic events hehe :)

I have played through a few that are actually quite fun, but then again I am not sure if i would want to keep donig them over and over. One area i was in crafting yesterday had this dynamic event where these aminal experiments escaped or somthing, so you needed to kill them and when they died they would turn into a slime thing. Anyway myself  I collected well over 20 slime things and i guess other people did a similar thing. OK was fun i guess so i went back to crafting 10 mins later pop exactly the same so called dynamic even popped up.. so i thought what the hell and did it again.. and went back to crafting.. guess what happened yup same event  again.. this time i ignored it.. I have come accross a few like this but then i have come accross some that are have multiple levels to them and are quite fun, also some of the bigger world events are pretty good as well but they are more like raids.. I am hopnig in the higher lvl areas the Dynamic events get better and effect the world a lot more like they where suppose to...

I am not calling them a pile of crap like the heart quests lol but they certainly dont come accross as being any better then the events in WAR or Rifts.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Movement and evade speed.

They are just way to slow its ok as a Asura but a big Race is a pain.

I feel like i am moving in slow motion on my Chaar its very annoying and the side or backwards evading animation looks terrible since its too slow it makes me wonder if the Chaar actually defy gravity and manage to floot a bit in the air before they hit the ground and finish the roll its just that slow.

The slow movement is a prob in fights too they just feel slow and boring even tho they have the potential to be good.

The other thing is that i can not sell Gems by myself i find it shady to only be able to sell them over Anets system(you sell 100 for 26S and if someone buys 100 its 45S thats messed up) and can not put them up at the AH for my own prices.(its also funny they managed to get that in for launch but not the AH tho....) 

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

This is not another flame thread or anything.

I hope everyone enjoys the game just as much as I do. However, this game has some flaws. Probably its just because it just launched a few days ago. My gamebreaken (which is the first), and my problems atm are:

• Playing without your friends - It bothers me alot. Me and my cousin cant play together at all. Even though we are on the very same server, we always get overflowed to our own places. No join possibility or anything. I love the overflow system instead of being able to login, but at least make it so you join the same overflow server ANet!
    • Crafting - I really like crafting. Its fun, and instead of just learning some recipes you have to discover them yourself. However I would have loved, if it required less mats. Vial fo Weak Blood and all those Fine crafting ingredients is a pain to find if you also want to level your character at the very same time.
    • WvW often down - At launch I could allmost instant join WvW. Yesterday I was queued for several hours and never got my invitation for it. I would really love to WvW. But I also wanted to actually join the fight instead of running alone trying to find everyone :P But I guess thats the charm about WvW.
    As said above, whats gamebreaking about these 3 is the first topic. It feels boring and like you have rolled on different servers when you cant see each other at all. Hopefully it will get fixed anytime soon.

To play with your friends you have to be in the party and in the same zone, then right click his portrait and press "join in"...

that transfers you to his overflow, arenanet did think of that you just have to look for it ;)

crafting is actually something I do while leveling, whenever I see something gatherable in the world I get it. When I recieve items I don't need I salvage them, and so on.... So getting mats while leveling is easier way than just farming for mats... Also, whenever you get mats in your inventory you can just deposit them to the bank instantly from your inventory so it doesn't take up your space...

WvWvW isn't down, the fact that you can't join WvWvW doesn't mean that it's not working.... It has a limit of 500 people per server, per map... So unless enough people leaves for you to move up the queue and you do get invited, you won't enter WvWvW. 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Combat: Damn you for being clunky! Its fun but boy... do I feel like I have a lack of control. I blame Tera and the 'arcade style' MMos out there. Sure the 'arcade/mission' style isn't the persistant world like GW2, but playing the game it does make me wish it was a game like that at times where I really felt in control of my character.

Personal Story: I love this, its amazing actually... but then my character opens his/her mouth. Ever hear of gorden freeman? Ever wonder why so many people love him and he is so icon? Perhaps even Link? Its because he didn't say anything to make people dislike him, and it allowed the player to fill in the blanks. It makes playing my character and watching how incredible cocky and self-concieted he/she is just that much more cringe worthy. Don't get me wrong, there are times were I do like this (Order of whispers pirate quest in particular is pretty hilarious hearing my thief slur her words while pulling of a daring rescue in particular) but it just takes out that gap where we can make up our own minds about what our character is like. Whether you pick charming or dignified or whatever, it does nothing at all to help reflect your characters dialog. 

Its less about the 'personal story' I guess and more about the fact your character speaks in it... and the personality of it is far from 'yay thats me' and more like 'oh god, I'd want to shoot myself'. 

There are more thing but those are the top 2 on my mind this second. 

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Failings
    Too much zoning/instancing, no sandbox features outside of PvP, cash shop instead of subscription.

Read my post earlier about personal stories & zoning.

Why would no sandbox features in a themepark game bother you? It was never claimed to be a sandbox. Thats about equivalent to saying it bothers you that you need t have internet to play because you thought it was single player.

Yes theres a cash shop, but you dont need to spend cash. Gems can be bought for in game gold. Also the cash shop offers no real advantages, like equipment upgrades or thats ort of stuff you typically see in cash shops. Mostly cosmetic stuff, character slots, bag/bank space, and XP boost type stuff. BUT all of the boosters, the keys for unlocking chests, etc can also be found as drops or given as rewards for completing certain quests, daily tasks, monthly tasks, etc. Also regarding the keys, its a pretty common thing (nearly every time for some people), that you use 1 key, open the box and along with other cash shop items you also get another key. Just last night I got 1 key from a quest and ended up being able to open 6 boxes in a row due to them continuing to give me keys with the 1st 5. Dont knock the cash shop based on whats in other games, look into how it works for this game yourself.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    I wish there were more benefits to grouping in the open world. Grouping makes no difference in DEs, which I don't mind because in DE's everyone is soft-grouped anyway. I was hoping our group of three could help each other out completing hearts. As it stands right now heart quests can't be accomplished faster by a group because the progress is tied to a player only.
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    I wish there were more benefits to grouping in the open world. Grouping makes no difference in DEs, which I don't mind because in DE's everyone is soft-grouped anyway. I was hoping our group of three could help each other out completing hearts. As it stands right now heart quests can't be accomplished faster by a group because the progress is tied to a player only.

Well thats not technically true about the hearts progress. yes if youre each off soloing 3 seperate mobs, youll progress the same as soloing them out of group. But if you stick together and group up the mobs so you can aoe them all together, or simply all 3 of you focus 1 mob together you all get full credit for each kill of every mob. Faster kills = faster hearts progress.

In cases where you interact with objects which spawn mobs, you can have 1 guy running to the objects and triggering them while the other 2 are constantly aggroing the mobs as they spawn and herd them up and then the objective runner can toss 1 AoE into the group and get credit as the other 2 are finishing them off quickly and continue running to more objectives.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

Originally posted by Hardanger

I can't quite put my finger on it just yet, but it does bother me.

I think I was expecting it to be more like Guild Wars.

Funny. I like the game because its nothing like the original Guild Wars which was pretty bad imo.

Originally posted by korent1991

Originally posted by MikeJezZ

This is not another flame thread or anything.

I hope everyone enjoys the game just as much as I do. However, this game has some flaws. Probably its just because it just launched a few days ago. My gamebreaken (which is the first), and my problems atm are:

• Playing without your friends - It bothers me alot. Me and my cousin cant play together at all. Even though we are on the very same server, we always get overflowed to our own places. No join possibility or anything. I love the overflow system instead of being able to login, but at least make it so you join the same overflow server ANet!
    • Crafting - I really like crafting. Its fun, and instead of just learning some recipes you have to discover them yourself. However I would have loved, if it required less mats. Vial fo Weak Blood and all those Fine crafting ingredients is a pain to find if you also want to level your character at the very same time.
    • WvW often down - At launch I could allmost instant join WvW. Yesterday I was queued for several hours and never got my invitation for it. I would really love to WvW. But I also wanted to actually join the fight instead of running alone trying to find everyone :P But I guess thats the charm about WvW.
    As said above, whats gamebreaking about these 3 is the first topic. It feels boring and like you have rolled on different servers when you cant see each other at all. Hopefully it will get fixed anytime soon.

To play with your friends you have to be in the party and in the same zone, then right click his portrait and press "join in"...

that transfers you to his overflow, arenanet did think of that you just have to look for it ;) 

Me and my friend tried everything. We were also in the same zones, and the "join" function wasnt there 50% of the time. And when it was, nothing happened when neither of us tried to click on this function. So it doesnt help - at least not most of the time

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    so far my biggest issue with this game is the fact that everything is a damn zerg fest. i try to do DEs they are zerged, i go to WvW and that is just one big zerg. the whole damn game is Zerg wars not guild wars.
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf
    so far my biggest issue with this game is the fact that everything is a damn zerg fest. i try to do DEs they are zerged, i go to WvW and that is just one big zerg. the whole damn game is Zerg wars not guild wars.

The game just released, so not sure why everyone zerging the same earlier areas comes as a surprise. At least you can still progress with the zerg, unlike most games where youd be fighting the zerg for any sort of kills and loot. The zerg in PvE will die down as people advance more into other areas, and new players are coming and people reroll to try new toons.

The WvWvW zerg will work itself out too. Its the 1st week, there is no balancing between the servers yet. In time through weekly rotations youll be pitted against more equal pop servers, and people will also grow bored with the zerg and branch off into smaller organized groups to accomplish stuff.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

The game just released, so not sure why everyone zerging the same earlier areas comes as a surprise. At least you can still progress with the zerg, unlike most games where youd be fighting the zerg for any sort of kills and loot. The zerg in PvE will die down as people advance more into other areas, and new players are coming and people reroll to try new toons.

The WvWvW zerg will work itself out too. Its the 1st week, there is no balancing between the servers yet. In time through weekly rotations youll be pitted against more equal pop servers, and people will also grow bored with the zerg and branch off into smaller organized groups to accomplish stuff.

I hope your right about WvW because thats what i want to do more than anything, but man im tired of getting zerged down everytime me and some friends go off to do our own thing. and im not talking just being out numbered by a couple of people its like 20 vs 4 most of the time and that is not fun.

and standing in a zerg of 50 people mashing my aoe key over and over is even less fun.....

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353
    Camera controls, definitely. Mouse smoothnes is over the top and the FoV needs some adjustments. Fix this and I'm happy.

Eat me!

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

For me what bothers me most, is the issue all ThemeParks have, where the world is boxed in and in a carefully controlled environment so that your gaming feels like being on rails rather than in a virtual world. Really takes away from the exploration part and the general excitement into going into the "unknown".

Also don't like strict class based games where it is the class, rather than me, which decides what I can do and how.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Not having a working Auction House.

Seriously thats my only gripe.  I got to 35 last night and ran Ascalon Catacombs on my Warrior (Longbow/Greatsword) and was truely impressed in the scope and depth of what the PvE content can do in this game.  It is defenitely a thinking mans game. 

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by Yamota

For me what bothers me most, is the issue all ThemeParks have, where the world is boxed in and in a carefully controlled environment so that your gaming feels like being on rails rather than in a virtual world. Really takes away from the exploration part and the general excitement into going into the "unknown".

Also don't like strict class based games where it is the class, rather than me, which decides what I can do and how.

GW2 is so far from on rails that it isn't even funny.

Have you even played? Or is this just more of the usual rampant speculation [mod edit]

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

The overflow server grouping problem is fixed now - we had guildies grouping up all evening yesterday and today too. Just form a group, then right click one member and use the "join" option, and you'll be teleported into the same overflow.

Guilds seem to be fixed and running smooth this morning (EU time), so my only "gripe" remains the non working auction house.

PS: if you think GW2 is "on rails" like "other theme parks", then you either haven't played the game at all, or you're playing it wrong thinking the hearts are just like WoW clone quests hubs and that you are limited to your level areas.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

* Very very very very boring heart quests, that have taken the standard kill or collect quests and made them take twice as long and boring. Good job

* So called dynamic events and not really dynamic other than the time they happen. Well this is the case in the first few zones I have been in. Only lvl 25 so far so still got a bit to go. Also some of the dynamic events are just as bad as the heart quests.

Agree on hearts, luckily there should be less and less more you advance in the game. I usually skip them completely.

But dynamic events, sigh. :) I just wrote a blog post why dynamic events are awesome, I recommend you check it out!

You are giving Dynamic Quests far more credit than they deserve. For example you say they have purpose and meaning? How so? They are just like Rift invasions where they just go in circles without really affecting much beside the brief shut down of a village, or whatever. They are not really persistant.

So the main difference between Dynamic Quests and WAR PQs and Rifts is that there are more of them and they are more varied. But the dont have purpose and meaning beside giving you loot and exp. Now if they would actually change the world then those Centaurs taking over a village would raze it to the ground, or use it as a way to conquer the map, none of that happens nor will it ever happen. So Dynamic Quests are again a further dissapointment following PQs and Rifts, they boast to affect the world but the change, if any, is superficial.

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Well thats not technically true about the hearts progress. yes if youre each off soloing 3 seperate mobs, youll progress the same as soloing them out of group. But if you stick together and group up the mobs so you can aoe them all together, or simply all 3 of you focus 1 mob together you all get full credit for each kill of every mob. Faster kills = faster hearts progress.

In cases where you interact with objects which spawn mobs, you can have 1 guy running to the objects and triggering them while the other 2 are constantly aggroing the mobs as they spawn and herd them up and then the objective runner can toss 1 AoE into the group and get credit as the other 2 are finishing them off quickly and continue running to more objectives.

Yeah, but the things you described can be done without forming an actual party. There's no inherent benefit from grouping  other than player tracking and instancing.

Incentivizing grouping while keeping the soft group benefits can also boost community, in my opinion.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

The overflow server grouping problem is fixed now - we had guildies grouping up all evening yesterday and today too. Just form a group, then right click one member and use the "join" option, and you'll be teleported into the same overflow.

Guilds seem to be fixed and running smooth this morning (EU time), so my only "gripe" remains the non working auction house.

PS: if you think GW2 is "on rails" like "other theme parks", then you either haven't played the game at all, or you're playing it wrong thinking the hearts are just like WoW clone quests hubs and that you are limited to your level areas.

I'm glad to hear this. Hopefully it will work tonight for me and my cousin. Yesterday it didnt work at all.

Originally posted by Kost

GW2 is so far from on rails that it isn't even funny.

Have you even played? Or is this just more of the usual rampant speculation you spew all over these forums.

Yes I have played since head start. Granted I am still low level but the advancement is always.

• Open Map and go to each Heart quest, skill challenge and vista. Usually the path is quite linear.
    • Occasionally you will bump into a Dynamic Quest
    • There are story line quests, which are also linear, and they seemed quite lacklustre, and mostly a solo experience, so I did not bother doing them.
    So there is no element of surprise here (short of the occasional Dynamic Quest) because everything is carefully placed on your map and you just need to follow the markers. And the fact that PvP is confined to special zones makes it even more predictable.

If you claim the game is not on Rails then maybe you can explain why it is not?

You are giving Dynamic Quests far more credit than they deserve. For example you say they have purpose and meaning? How so? They are just like Rift invasions where they just go in circles without really affecting much beside the brief shut down of a village, or whatever. They are not really persistant.

So the main difference between Dynamic Quests and WAR PQs and Rifts is that there are more of them and they are more varied. But the dont have purpose and meaning beside giving you loot and exp. Now if they would actually change the world then those Centaurs taking over a village would raze it to the ground, or use it as a way to conquer the map, none of that happens nor will it ever happen. So Dynamic Quests are again a further dissapointment following PQs and Rifts, they boast to affect the world but the change, if any, is superficial.

There's a waypoint in Caledon Forest that becomes unavaiable when the town it's in is conquered by the Nightmare Court. Merchants in that town becomes unavailable as well. As far as I know they don't reset themselves. Players must drive away the Nightmare Court.

There are other places that has this event, not just the one.

• RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155

These are the few things offf the top of my head that have had some negative impact on my experience:

I'm with the OP regarding the excessive material demands for crafting.  IMO it shoudl be possible to level your first two crafting professions of choice in relative lockstep with your character without excessive farming so you can actually make use e of your own crafted items.  They don't need to force trading between "crafters" and "levelers" ... enough people hate crafting that there will be a regular crowd that buys the good stuff other people make.

Given that the bank is shared between your characters, I think there are too few regular slots, even with the collections tab.  Asking people to pay for bank expansion I get, but I think what they've offering right now for non-crafting mats is kind of insulting. 

The Trading Post is a big issue IMO, and ANet has gotten pretty lucky so far in terms of the limited outrage.  Had this been another similarly hyped game, the amount of -----ing over this particular issue would be crazy.

Digital Deluxe Edition items were no longer available to me after I hit 'Take All' on one of my characters, and not realizing it at the time, I later deleted that character to make room for others I wanted to play.  Now I can no longer get my DDE items.  $20 down the can.  I'm still waiting on a response from ANet support, going into the fifth day.

Open world PvE kiting for ranged characters is pretty over-the-top cheesy right now IMO.  At one point I was kiting two bronze raptors from Metrica provice (that should really be at least silver IMO) and several smaller ones for 15 minutes, maybe longer before somebody came by and killed the remaining bronze raptor.  Either the AI or the mechanics that make that kind of kiting possible should be looked at further by ANet IMO.

There's a waypoint in Caledon Forest that becomes unavaiable when the town it's in is conquered by the Nightmare Court. Merchants in that town becomes unavailable as well. As far as I know they don't reset themselves. Players must drive away the Nightmare Court.

There are other places that has this event, not just the one.

Yes and if they would actually raze the town to the ground, that would be persistant. But the fact is that, once they take over the town, they just wait to be slaughtered by players (which they always will because they are designed to be taken down). Rift had the exact same mechanic and it quickly became boring, once players realised that it is not a big thing that a town is being taken over.