Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MO players wondering if any feature actually works

Comments

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by FastSloth
    lol

Talking about contributing to the discussion... Thx for this insightful input.

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700
    Originally posted by CroniteLore
    Originally posted by StarI
    Originally posted by Uhwop

It's almost like the game is developed by a small indipendant studio, go figure.

People should quit arguing, repeated negative posting on the forums can be reported.  There's nothing to be gained from the same individuals repeatedly posting the same thing over and over.  This is the exact same thing that gets posted after every single magor and minor patch that SV puts out; there's really no reason to keep making them. 

It's an obscene rational, in which some individuals think that they can one day point back and say "I told you so". 

It's interesting that MO is still up and running under a subscription model, while big budget developers like Bioware convert their first attempt into a free to play MMO. 

People are constantly lamenting how every MMO comes out looking just like the one that came out prior to it, and then you get a company like SV, with very few hands, and a fraction of the budget of mainstream studios, and a bunch of people want to jump on their every mistake as if they have the experience in building a game and should know better.

MO was never intended to be a mainstream MMO, it was never inteded to draw in masses of people; yet people behaive as if it's a regular studio with all the resources needed to make mainstram game that's supposed to appeal to a majority of gamers.

I come here to see what's going on with MO, instead most of what I find is thread after thread from the same few people posting the exact same thing over and over.  It's old, tiresome, and rather pathetic when you see it's the same people that have been doing it sinse MO began two years ago.  What kind of a person rages over a stupid video game for that length of time? 

+1

This one's even better.

Renaming my bracket to "pathetic people are pathetic."

It's not funny I'm fucking sick of it too - they hold SV to a standard that few if any of the bigger houses could compete with either.  This site is supposed to be for the SUPPORT OF MMO's NOT TRYING TO KILL THEM.  I mean FFS - it's like a fucking bloodsport on this board.

Eventually SV/MO will close down (I hope in many, many, many years) there will be an idiot on this board at that time saying "I told you so".  Your collective predictions of DOOM since Day 1 of launch TWO frickin YEARS ago - have not come true.

can we just suck up some of the bile for sake of one of the few remianing interesting titles out there that isn't cookie cutter shit.

Remeber D3?  How long did that last until the economy was completely fucked?  A couple of weeks?

You all seen what's just happened to GW2?

But oooh noes for some reason SV is a streaming pile. Well go fookin play GW2 or D3 and stop pissing here.

MO would be gone by now if it wasnt for Henrik's Dad pumping money into the company to keep it running. Any real independent studio wouldn't last that long without handouts.

SV has had the time and money to make a decent game but clearly haven't been able to do so (from the subs). The vision wasn't good, it wasnt profitable. The implementation was worse, and is still crippled.

SV has had all the chances in the world to reel people in but have failed to do so. Now the game is starting to age and new titles are being released every few months.

It's time is over despite having never begun.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

This shoudl be repeated around here more often.

I stoped bothering thinking about the reasons why they would do it. It just falls in the bracket  "sad peope are sad".

More like "screwed customers who dont want others to get screwed". 

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by Toferio

This shoudl be repeated around here more often.

I stoped bothering thinking about the reasons why they would do it. It just falls in the bracket  "sad peope are sad".

More like "screwed customers who dont want others to get screwed". 

That COULD have been a case IF:

There was never a  free trial.

There were no youtube vids or other media.

No official forum, where despite some moderation you can still find LOADS of info lieing around describing all the bugs, population and other key factors for ones enjoyment.

Blogs.

Random chater on hundreds of forums - mouth to mouth info.

Years of shit talking it down by a select few on this forums alone.

Even if you shut down mmorpg.com down, It is EASILY possible to know what a game MO exactly is.

Anyone who jumps games without ANY sort of  product pre-investigation for which he/she is about to spend money on is simply dumb and deserves to be taken his money away, moreso has no base for complaining.

And yet that's exactly what many gamers do. In afct it's not a porblem with just MO. It's a pretty wide problem actualy.

p.s. Basing all your knowledge of a game just out of mmorpg.com is also one of the dumbest things a gamer can do when it comes to researching about a game. Mostly because forums are full of emotional driven narrow minded people who spend times on forums mostly out of boredom and are not realy trying to help anyone but themself.

Originally posted by SHOE788

It's almost like the game is developed by a small indipendant studio, go figure.

People should quit arguing, repeated negative posting on the forums can be reported.  There's nothing to be gained from the same individuals repeatedly posting the same thing over and over.  This is the exact same thing that gets posted after every single magor and minor patch that SV puts out; there's really no reason to keep making them. 

It's an obscene rational, in which some individuals think that they can one day point back and say "I told you so". 

It's interesting that MO is still up and running under a subscription model, while big budget developers like Bioware convert their first attempt into a free to play MMO. 

People are constantly lamenting how every MMO comes out looking just like the one that came out prior to it, and then you get a company like SV, with very few hands, and a fraction of the budget of mainstream studios, and a bunch of people want to jump on their every mistake as if they have the experience in building a game and should know better.

MO was never intended to be a mainstream MMO, it was never inteded to draw in masses of people; yet people behaive as if it's a regular studio with all the resources needed to make mainstram game that's supposed to appeal to a majority of gamers.

I come here to see what's going on with MO, instead most of what I find is thread after thread from the same few people posting the exact same thing over and over.  It's old, tiresome, and rather pathetic when you see it's the same people that have been doing it sinse MO began two years ago.  What kind of a person rages over a stupid video game for that length of time? 

+1

This one's even better.

It's not funny I'm fucking sick of it too - they hold SV to a standard that few if any of the bigger houses could compete with either.  This site is supposed to be for the SUPPORT OF MMO's NOT TRYING TO KILL THEM.  I mean FFS - it's like a fucking bloodsport on this board.

Eventually SV/MO will close down (I hope in many, many, many years) there will be an idiot on this board at that time saying "I told you so".  Your collective predictions of DOOM since Day 1 of launch TWO frickin YEARS ago - have not come true.

can we just suck up some of the bile for sake of one of the few remianing interesting titles out there that isn't cookie cutter shit.

Remeber D3?  How long did that last until the economy was completely fucked?  A couple of weeks?

But oooh noes for some reason SV is a streaming pile. Well go fookin play GW2 or D3 and stop pissing here.

MO would be gone by now if it wasnt for Henrik's Dad pumping money into the company to keep it running. Any real independent studio wouldn't last that long without handouts.

SV has had the time and money to make a decent game but clearly haven't been able to do so (from the subs). The vision wasn't good, it wasnt profitable. The implementation was worse, and is still crippled.

SV has had all the chances in the world to reel people in but have failed to do so. Now the game is starting to age and new titles are being released every few months.

Yeah, and you know this for a fact right? So your saying they aren´t independent company because they haven´t gone down? How stupid isn´t that? They are 5 people working on it now. 5!!! Yeah, that ain´t independent at all. That´s Blizzard numbers right there!!! They were more before, but had to cut down, cause well, they don´t have the money that you claim they have to keep on going full force. They had to cut down as well. And now they are floating, and doing OK. For being 5 people working on it they have done, and are doing a amazing job with Awakening. They patch more or less every day since the release of Awakening. While it might seem to be the act of a none independent company, cause that must be all the money they are bathing in that makes them get the patches out this fast right? Well no. They rewrote the ENTIRE code of the game for Awakening to make it more in line with todays MMOs. With the 64 bit client now in place, and new GUI etc. Ofc the bugs would make it into live, since it´s so many more testing it then the focus group.

And they haven´t had "all the time in the world to reel people in". The game was released to early due to them being low on all that cash that you say they got from his dad. And really, who cares if his dad helps his son out? I would have done the same for my kid if I had the money and my kid was burning for something like Henrik is. Good for em. Why on earth would that be a bad thing? You think it´s over. You guys have thought it would end since release. But guess what? It´s still here, and they will continue to disapoint you for yet another year, and years to come. You say other games gets released now etc. Well yeah, plenty of themepark crap is being released. But if you want a modern fantasy sandbox, with nice graphics etc. There really aren´t much out there. So MO will continue to draw a selective few to it. Some will leave, some will stay. It´s as simple as that. But MO will be here to your agony for years to come. But be happy. You can come here and keep on writing on how much MO sux, and that Henriks dad does this and that. So it´s a win-win for all of us!!! YAY!!!

• realnasterealnaste Member Posts: 98
    Originally posted by Lahuzer(...) You think it´s over. You guys have thought it would end since release. (...)

They have been repeating that ever since release, and because they have problems with admitting when they are wrong, they come up with unlimited resources Henrik dad has. I guess it's good they have that, otherwise it would probably be Aliens.

Originally posted by Lahuzer

Yeah, and you know this for a fact right? So your saying they aren´t independent company because they haven´t gone down? How stupid isn´t that? They are 5 people working on it now. 5!!! Yeah, that ain´t independent at all. That´s Blizzard numbers right there!!! 

Newsflash: term indie does not reflect the numbers of a company, but the simple fact if they are backed by a publisher or not and who owns the IP. Just fyi, as you used numbers as argument.

Originally posted by realnaste
    Originally posted by Lahuzer(...) You think it´s over. You guys have thought it would end since release. (...)

They have been repeating that ever since release, and because they have problems with admitting when they are wrong, they come up with unlimited resources Henrik dad has. I guess it's good they have that, otherwise it would probably be Aliens.

You tell me how a company that constantly loses money in every financial report stays afloat. At this point even aliens seems more logical than subscribers. 

p.s. Basing all your knowledge of a game just out of mmorpg.com is also one of the dumbest things a gamer can do when it comes to researching about a game. Mostly because forums are full of emotional driven narrow minded people who spend times on forums mostly out of boredom and are not realy trying to help anyone but themself.

Shrug, with some exceptions (there always are, on both ends) anyone here will tell new people to go try trial and see for themselves.
    Originally posted by Lahuzer

Yeah, and you know this for a fact right? So your saying they aren´t independent company because they haven´t gone down? How stupid isn´t that? They are 5 people working on it now. 5!!! Yeah, that ain´t independent at all. That´s Blizzard numbers right there!!! 

Newsflash: term indie does not reflect the numbers of a company, but the simple fact if they are backed by a publisher or not and who owns the IP. Just fyi, as you used numbers as argument.

Starvault is a indiependant company because they aren´t owned or controlled by a company. But it was "you guys" that said that they weren´t a indie company cause they would be buried now if they were, and because Henriks dad supported his sons dreams for a MMO with some cash. The numbers I threw in there cause that factors in as well. Had they been controlled by a bigger company, like for instance Blizzard, they would have had alot more people working for them. Now they ARE a very small indie company that keeps floating in hopes for their dream MMO to come through. They aren´t there yet, but when Awakening have been implemented well, it´s a huge step forward for them. And with the code rewritten, future updates won´t take as long as it did with Awakening. So it looks brighter now for SV then ever.

• CroniteLoreCroniteLore Member Posts: 99

+1

This one's even better.

Dad envy?

I don't understand the obsesison on these boards with Henrik's Dad... SO friggin what if he helps - although I'm told it's BS and has been repudiated by SV on these boards who gives a shit. I've run a business in the past and whilst it turned out ok at one point I had to ask my family for help - it's what they're for, no? 

The fact that this is bandied about so much here is well.. really pathetic. And very telling too...

"In MO, even the haters are hardcore!" - ltank

• raff01raff01 Member Posts: 453

+1

This one's even better.

Dad envy?

I don't understand the obsesison on these boards with Henrik's Dad... SO friggin what if he helps - although I'm told it's BS and has been repudiated by SV on these boards who gives a shit. I've run a business in the past and whilst it turned out ok at one point I had to ask my family for help - it's what they're for, no? 

The fact that this is bandied about so much here is well.. really pathetic. And very telling too...

Well we all know that Ulf Nystrom is the one funding SV...And unless Henrik has the ability to crap money, then how else would they keep going considering huge losses every single month since they released and considering the size of the company?

• realnasterealnaste Member Posts: 98
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

-Again, all you fangirls are capable of is personal attacks. You seem to be unable to discuss the game itself and constantly derail and attack poster(s)

You scream of personal insults, yet this is your second post in a row starting with "fangirls" which in it self is a way to brand those that enjoy the game as some strange group of blinded by love groupies, and thus a try to make our opinions seem somehow less valid and objective.
     And what's up with sexism? We all know that most playing MO are male, so branding us after females must point to some kind of emotional problem with oposite sex or something, since obviously you are trying to get an emotional response from us. You need to get that checked m8.

D3's economy is alright, in contrast to non existant economy in MO, one of the not working features. I am however curious what just happend to GW2? Last time I checked people were pretty happy with it.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by realnaste
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

-Again, all you fangirls are capable of is personal attacks. You seem to be unable to discuss the game itself and constantly derail and attack poster(s)

You scream of personal insults, yet this is your second post in a row starting with "fangirls" which in it self is a way to brand those that enjoy the game as some strange group of blinded by love groupies, and thus a try to make our opinions seem somehow less valid and objective.
     And what's up with sexism? We all know that most playing MO are male, so branding us after females must point to some kind of emotional problem with oposite sex or something, since obviously you are trying to get an emotional response from us. You need to get that checked m8.

First off, Realnaste this wasnt an attack at you- You (from my memory) are someone who discusses and avoids personal attacks.

Read my post history if you wish and you will see that I generally avoid any sort of mudslinging but the last couple days has been ridiculous with attacks coming at posters while avoiding the topics we arfe trying to discuss. Many deleted threads. Hell, I got my first "speeding ticket" (i.e. WARNING) while responding to one of the attacks with an attack in kind.

-So yeah, its getting ridiculous that we cant discuss anything with MO bots coming here and ignoring the discussion but attacking us and questioning our motives. As I said, I would be glad to discuss WHY I (and others) have such a poor opinion of SV on a THREAD dedicated to that discussion. These derailment tactics seem to be the only way to defend this game.

But again, my "attacks" were not inclusive to everyone playing MO nor defending it- Rather its for those who continue to ignore every topic and resort to personal insults- Anyone discussing the game (good or ill) is contributing IMHO- And from memory you have refrained from dumb attacks. EDIT: I include people like Rohn and Deathshroud (and others) as well. Anyone who discusses things rather than attacks and derails every thread while avoiding the discussion at hand. I am sorry (really) I came across to sound inclusive of everyone defending or supporting the game-

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    This has gone off topic, derailed, and full of personal attacks. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• kastrixkastrix Member Posts: 75

are you guys having a nice time wating for over 3 years for the game to die, you seriosly dont have anything better to do with your time. I think the people paying for mortal online know that they are doing, there is a free tiral, their not scamming people of their money.

The game will never be what you thought it would be, others are happy with what there is, for me guild wars two is really booring, for others the best game ever, let people like what they want.

Anyway, the patches are comming in at a nice pace, things will be fixed.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

You tell me how a company that constantly loses money in every financial report stays afloat. At this point even aliens seems more logical than subscribers. 

A recent poll on the MO forums (about pets being over powered) has, as of right now, only 56 people responding.

I would give that number plus a few more as the actual active player base of MO.  The current pop levels are much, much worse than pre-awakening.  

I logged into Meduli today and it was dead empty (2 naked running around).  The guild that I was in (largest one on the server) has gone from like 30+ actives to less than 10 post-awakening.  Even tindrem is dead empty minus a few thieves.

To go back on topic: nothing is working as intended as far as I can tell.  But SV doesn't actually do any real documentation so you never actually know what is intended with them.

The fact is, every target Henrik has laid out to reach break-even status with subscribers has failed.  The October target will fail too, because Henrik will still be the CEO.  Until they get new leadership that understands how to communicate with customers and treat them with respect, they aren't going to keep many subs.

I also love how all the MO fans posting on here never use their in game names.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

i think the loss of subs has more to do with bugs and the state of the game than Henriks financial dealings or goals. If the patch wasnt buggy as hell then people who are subbed would be playing. The fact that the subs dropped since pre awakening is a sign of a poorly implemented, thought out and coded expansion.

Whilst replacing Henrik with someone else would quite possibly help SV in many areas, i highly doubt they would suddenly get a large financial backing or an increase in subs throguh that action. All the people on here who dislike Henrik with a passion would not immediately sub to MO if he left. They would just continue to bash the game hoping the new CEO makes a mistake.

I think that the only possible good that could come out of SV failing is for a more experienced MMO developer to pick up the title and Sebastion and Matts and continue to develop the game into a proper gaming experience. But i think there is practically 0 chance of any developer/ publisher touching MO after it closes down. There are many MMOs i dont or havent played that get bad raps, like xsyon etc. But i actually would be a little disapointed if one closed down. Because they offer alternatives and they are trying to do things a little differently. So i fail to see how people could think that MO disappearing would be a good thing?

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Originally posted by psykobilly

I also love how all the MO fans posting on here never use their in game names.

MO fans are long gone and the few remain are playing the game. The ones that do come in here wanting anything else but discuss about the game are nothing else than individuals who are somehow afiliated with SV and do have false hopes that they will make a career starting from a broken game and will eventually get into the payroll.

Now back to the topic: i cant really say if anything is working in MO atm since last patch was so crappy and poorly designed that managed to corrupt my gamefiles (as it did happen to many more players) and in any case i will not bother to reinstall the game. Its just a waste of HD space and time afterall. AI is still the worst possible, UI is poorly designed, glitchy and causes more problems than the old one and the NEW code that some people insisting was rewritten from scratch is just as poor as it was the old one: mobs flying everywhere, other PC's and NPC's are flying aswell, the use of inventory bank is frustrating since you simply cannot place items from one to other, trade brokers are useless and broken, node lag is back and many many more issues that does not even worth my time to mention again.

Its funny how do some people still use the argument of the small dev team as an excuse for the total lack of quality and still do present themselfs as fans that do believe things will change in terms of quality and faster developement. I fail to see hows that possible with even smaller dev team (i ve read by the same ones that team members where crippled down to 3) and even less funds since i highly doubt that broken Awakening will have effects as increased subscriptions. 

• xevanonxevanon Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by Amana
    This has gone off topic, derailed, and full of personal attacks. 

MO threads always going into caos, you should know that by now:)

Originally posted by deathshroud

So i fail to see how people could think that MO disappearing would be a good thing?

To be honest I can imagine that it would set an example to future indie mmo devs how not to develop a game, hopefully giving them additional motivation to avoid pitfalls MO didnt. That is however pure speculation and I have no idea what real effect it may have. Might as well backfire and scare people away from indie mmo development.

So i fail to see how people could think that MO disappearing would be a good thing?

To be honest I can imagine that it would set an example to future indie mmo devs how not to develop a game, hopefully giving them additional motivation to avoid pitfalls MO didnt. That is however pure speculation and I have no idea what real effect it may have. Might as well backfire and scare people away from indie mmo development.

Or it could put off potential indie developers from attempting to make a risky mmo. Which imo would be a bad thing. I would rather they attempt and fail than never find out just how far they could of gone.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

Or it could put off potential indie developers from attempting to make a risky mmo. Which imo would be a bad thing. I would rather they attempt and fail than never find out just how far they could of gone.

Highly unlikely, any future indy group referencing Mortal Online would know why it failed.  (surely wasnt because its a risky genre)

i dont know, i mean if they had developed something abit safer they might of been in much better shape. you try pitching the idea of a twitch combat based FPV only seamless MMO running on Unreal engine with full loot full pvp and nudity in it and i doubt any of them would take up those reins. Hell even bethesda said that amking a TES mmo wasnt possible so they had to make s typical mmo with the TES license.

you really think CCP could of pulled osmething like this off? No they couldnt.

EVE was the perfect style game for an indie developer to make. The fact that they understood economics and created one hell of a great market system kept the game afloat through its troubled early life.

CCP set themselves realistic goals considering their developing experience, their budget and their man power. It wasnt all peaches thoguh for CCP it was still a struggle to get where they are today.

SV decided to make the worst type of game they possibly could of chosen considering their experience manpower and budget. A type of game even most large development houses wouldnt dare make.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

i dont know, i mean if they had developed something abit safer they might of been in much better shape. you try pitching the idea of a twitch combat based FPV only seamless MMO running on Unreal engine with full loot full pvp and nudity in it and i doubt any of them would take up those reins. Hell even bethesda said that amking a TES mmo wasnt possible so they had to make s typical mmo with the TES license.

you really think CCP could of pulled osmething like this off? No they couldnt.

EVE was the perfect style game for an indie developer to make. The fact that they understood economics and created one hell of a great market system kept the game afloat through its troubled early life.

Are you joking? Starvault cant code, the game type is irrelevant.

well they cant code this style of game with the limited amount of people they have, but im pretty sure they could code a game with models that have 0 animations to worry about, almost 0 collisions to worry about, LOS issues dont matter in eve and the combat consists of stationary targets firing automatically at each other. Im pretty sure they could code that.

This discussion has been closed.