Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Massive Changes Arrive with v5.0.4 Patch

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The World of Warcraft v5.0.4 patch that brings most of the new features and systems online from the upcoming Mists of Pandaria expansion is now live. The update includes new class changes, a redesigned talent system, glyphs, account-wide mounts and achievements and much more.

Area of Effect (AOE) Looting – Looting has never been easier

Theramore’s Fall Scenario – The first two Scenarios (one for Horde and one for Alliance) will be available for players to take on shortly before launch

Cross-Realm Zones – Cross-realm zones are a new technology enabling players to meet up and group with other players in underpopulated areas of the game world

BattleTag Support –Your BattleTag is a permanent, non-unique, account-wide nickname that serves as your identity when staying connected to other players using Battle.net’s powerful social features

Check out the full patch notes on the World of Warcraft site.

Ed note: Title altered slightly to reflect "massive changes" versus the idea that "massive" means literal patch size.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Maybe I'm missing it, but where is the 'massive' patch? It seems quite small really. Only "big" thing is Cross-realm zones and maybe if you want to call it big the world event (which no one ever calls those big). Its just a lot of little things and then the addition of the dumbe down talent system (sorry, we all know it is) and a few other areas dumbed down like weapon slots and all, which really aren't big updates.

"Big" you can get away with, but calling it massive is just silly. 

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

As I understand it, the patch is ~19GB. Pretty massive...

Edit: Includes new talent trees, pets, AoE looting, etc. Check the patch notes for the list.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    WOW is hogging 35 GB on my hard disk already...how more massive it gonna get ;)

Bite Me

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Jaedor

As I understand it, the patch is ~19GB. Pretty massive...

Edit: Includes new talent trees, pets, AoE looting, etc. Check the patch notes for the list.

Ah thanks, so 'prep patch' if anything, updating lots of data files to support changes for the expansion coming. Didn't really think of it in a size update, looking at it in terms of what was actually added which was barely anything. :)

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

OMG...you guys are so literal. Geez.

The sheer number of system changes, file updates to prepare for MoP and new features render it 'massive', not the size of the download.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920
    I've downloaded it, but I've been too busy playing Guild Wars 2 to care much. I'm anxious to see the reaction to this latest incarnation of the game. Blizzard keeps trying to reinvent the wheel and I for one am getting pretty tired of relearning my classes every time Greg Street and his team get a wild hair up their nether regions.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Maybe I'm missing it, but where is the 'massive' patch? It seems quite small really. Only "big" thing is Cross-realm zones and maybe if you want to call it big the world event (which no one ever calls those big). Its just a lot of little things and then the addition of the dumbe down talent system (sorry, we all know it is) and a few other areas dumbed down like weapon slots and all, which really aren't big updates.

"Big" you can get away with, but calling it massive is just silly. 

Yep, they really should just call it the "Dumbed down patch".   Makes the game far too easy.

• zinger71zinger71 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    WoW is one of the least technical games on the market in terms of graphics and overall system requirements, yet Blizzard's patching is among the worst...if not THE. This so-called install "optimization" they run? Pathetic. How hard is it to update and patch this jurassic game? Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on the game. I am a regular player. However, if their plan was to tie up my rig on the 28th of August so I couldn't play GW2 - or ANY game for that matter - mission accomplished. 2% complete. Woohoo. Gonna go install GW2 on my wife's laptop.
  • Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    I had slim hope they were going to bring back open world challenge to the 1- 60 game. :( Oh well I guess it will never happen.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I wasn't impressed at all with this patch.  I tried it on the PTR awhile back, and the changes are way too radical with the glyphs, talents, and the removal & change of the skills.  It's a little ironic though since i'm playing GW2, which is sort of radical in it's design. haha.
  • uller30uller30 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    To relarn how to play a druid, lesser degree a DK and then also to see that some calsses are just Garbage since lvl 60(warlocks).  Glad I stoped them from haveing my money back to the one game I have played for about just as long Guild Wars.  NO healers or tanks just a crack crew of ass Kickers SIGN ME UP.
  • lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by zinger71
    WoW is one of the least technical games on the market in terms of graphics and overall system requirements, yet Blizzard's patching is among the worst...if not THE. This so-called install "optimization" they run? Pathetic. How hard is it to update and patch this jurassic game? Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on the game. I am a regular player. However, if their plan was to tie up my rig on the 28th of August so I couldn't play GW2 - or ANY game for that matter - mission accomplished. 2% complete. Woohoo. Gonna go install GW2 on my wife's laptop.

wow is the most compatible game for literally all computers and laptops . good luck playing with low setting on your wifey's computer

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by SteamRanger
    I've downloaded it, but I've been too busy playing Guild Wars 2 to care much. I'm anxious to see the reaction to this latest incarnation of the game. Blizzard keeps trying to reinvent the wheel and I for one am getting pretty tired of relearning my classes every time Greg Street and his team get a wild hair up their nether regions.

And if they brought zero changes you would complain about how stagnant things are... Come on...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    I finished my download  and i am so excited. Guys you are bored already with wars 2 and have nothing better to do from wow spiting? This is most amazing change in last years.With mop we will have again big clash btw Horde and Ally. After 5 h in that ''other'' game i feel so good to be back again :) And one thing more--21 gb update is not much for one expansion????? lol

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Lackluster, nuff said.
  • KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    I finished my download  and i am so excited. Guys you are bored already with wars 2 and have nothing better to do from wow spiting? This is most amazing change in last years.With mop we will have again big clash btw Horde and Ally. After 5 h in that ''other'' game i feel so good to be back again :) And one thing more--21 gb update is not much for one expansion????? lol

As someone who was in the closed beta for MoP for the last three months, all I have to say is this:

If you thought MoP was going to bring the "war" back to WarCraft. Think again...

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330
    Originally posted by Kost
    Originally posted by bubaluba

As someone who was in the closed beta for MoP for the last three months, all I have to say is this:

If you thought MoP was going to bring the "war" back to WarCraft. Think again...

idk, i bet we might see some massive world pvp near the black markets on populated server's from the small amount ive read about the BMAH, albeit i quit the game 3 months ago and am still paying the next 4 months due to annual pass...i play a bg every now and then when i get super bored tho hehe, i couldnt even play the beta cause of the WoW Error's, but i still remember the massive amounts of skeletons when i got into the beta.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

/yawn

Now, where did I move that "2" icon to?

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    Good news for WoW fans, as for everyone else, nope
  • GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290

I love how Blizzard says drastic changes are coming yet everything Blizzard labels as "drastic change" is only small changes to the game. There hasn't been anything original or new since Burning Crusade Expansion. It's all rinse-rehashed-repeated content.

I'm so looking forward to it...

Not.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

My care cup for Blizzard run empty after D3 and 10 months of starvation in wow where i payed 13 euro a month for.

Uninstalled wow and never looked back.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    new graphics? new combat animations? new worlds to explore? new races to play? third faction? those are massive changes to me in this game.
  • nordyanordya Member Posts: 82
    Logged in tonight, was quite happy to see my achievmenets merged, but then the glyphs and the talents, it was like, again really, have to redo everything. I didn't even want to bother with my warrior, the thought of making a new character was tempting but in the end, I just decided to log off.
  • SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018
    Third faction? It's still just Horde/Alliance.
  • ghostfaeriesghostfaeries Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Originally posted by m0lly
    new graphics? new combat animations? new worlds to explore? new races to play? third faction? those are massive changes to me in this game.

not a third faction. just a new race (pandaren) and new class (monk). still horde and alliance. 

i downloaded wow again after quiting for a month+. mistake? perhaps, but i missed pvping on my shadow priest. unfortunately for me, i have not gotten paid yet to renew my sub. soon enough! i heard i wasn't missing that much because everything is all buggy. go figure.