Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

damn the MMO hype monkey robbed me again!

124»

Comments

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

You may like a MMO, you may not.

You may be looking forward to a MMO soon to release, you may not be.

But no matter what, now and in the future... never EVER let yourself get suckered by the MMO Hype Monkey. Them evil advertizers genetically engineer them rascals to hypnotize you and drag you off to the Theme Park especially built for us bad peanuts.

Seriously, forget all the hype about new MMOs... it's all marketing spin anyway. Try it, play it, if you like it, good. If you don't, look again for another. Simple. Do your homework and you will know which MMOs you want to try, then try them and keep the best, toss the rest.

Forget the Hype and tell the Marketers to go get bent.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Zetsuei
    Originally posted by airborne1312

Luckily i only paid £44.99 from gamesplanet though!

I was expecting to be blown away...stupid me AGAIN.

I have given it my best 8 hours of playing but feel uninspired AGAIN.

The combat reminds me of warhammer which i hated and the graphics of rift/LOTRO which i hated also AGAIN.

The dynamic events are worse than the quest hubs...absolutely mindnumbingly tedious and repetitive AGAIN.

Perhaps im burnt out on MMOs but this isnt what i expected AGAIN.

The next game i will pay for is WarZ...perhaps sandbox is the way forward.

My final thought on MMOs:

This wil be the last one i ever motherfukin buy!

And i wont be reading this forum again..it is plagued by hidden subliminal messages telling me how great an MMO will be before it is released.

Back to Counterstrike until warz...........

I have a feeling MMO's are not your cup of tea. Maybe stay with FPS's where you can jump in and out any time you want.

I think he first just needs to stay on his meds.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

For you!

imageimage

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514

The combat reminds me of warhammer which i hated and the graphics of rift/LOTRO which i hated also AGAIN.

The dynamic events are worse than the quest hubs...absolutely mindnumbingly tedious and repetitive AGAIN.

And i wont be reading this forum again..it is plagued by hidden subliminal messages telling me how great an MMO will be before it is released.

luckily this time i have not gone into the hype . i am waiting for 3 months before deciding whether to buy it or not .i didnot buy diablo 3 and i am happy that was the right decision . so after that i have made it my policy of see and waiting . we will know within three months if the product (GW2)has delivered or not 

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by eric1000
    Originally posted by xalvi

As of right now GW2 is by far the best MMO in the market in terms of innovation and overall well on every aspect.

Seems to me like you are burnt out, i know this because im burnt out as well. GW2 will be the only mmo i will be playing, i went from hardcore to casual player because i can't seem to like MMO anymore (maybe because im getting more mature and find these things silly now).

It isn't your level of maturity that's the problem.  It's the fact that MMO's have beern simplified and dumbed down so much over the past few years that any intelligent adult finds them extremely boring.  A decade ago MMO's were deep and complex, needing patience and intelligence to advance in them; you actually had to think about how you built your character.  Now any 10 year old can follow the single path and join the dots with little effort.  It isn't a coincidence that the quality of the MMO community took a nosedive as the games got easier either.  WoW has much to answer for. 

I'm sorry I must of missed this complex indepth character building in Everquest 1. I picked a race, a class, and a diety. The only choices I really had was what to put my 5 skill points into each level and even that wasn't very important as skills also increased via usage.

Outside of that I just went from levels 1-50 with out a say in how I'm specced. I had the choice of what kind of gear to equip, but realistically gear was so scarce at times and specific stats ruled all for some classes. So there really wasn't much of a choice.

I explore, group, kill, loot, craft, /dance, and various other activities. Majority of these activities merely took much longer but weren't very complex. The nice thing about old games like EQ you decided where you wanted to go and what you wanted to do that was level appropriate (kind of like GW2 hmm). But again it just took longer.

Combat is a whole other level of bleh compared to modern MMO's in the EQ era. I played one of the more involved classes (Enchanter) and even then my whole job wasprimarily making sure I kept my mez up and let the group know what was mezzed. Oh and handing out crack :)

Don't get me wrong I LOVED EQ1 with a fiery passion, and I still look back at those days fondly. But to say it was more complex while ignoring all of the nuances that modern MMO's have brought to the table is just naive. Modern MMO's have streamlined the process greatly, but in doing so they have also improved many quality of life issues in these games. Perhaps it's just the speed of progression and streamling has truly revealed how shallow most MMO's really are (at least the themepark genre, I won't comment on the sandbox genre :P)

• SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178

I can see how somebody won't enjoy PvE in this game, if he/she is not interested in the game's lore and doesn't bother to talk to all the NPCs standing around, or listen to them, talking with eachother. In that case everything may seem pointless and lacking any kind of purpose or direction, but no game can force the player to actually pay attention and care about what is going on.

Artstyle and graphic are a question of taste and discussing them is pointless.

Combat feels engeiging and refreshing compared to standard MMOs, it is a playstyle that is much more action oriented, less mundane and repetitive.

Animation quality is very high, especially things like bouncing female breasts (or was it just my imagination?? :P)

Anyway, I'm sorry for all the people that don't like it and feel dissapointed...

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

Luckily I got my copy for free, saved me from disappointment. I like how everyone keeps saying it's the new era of mmos, groundbreaking, innovative, etc. Yet it still the same old, showing no signs of being more evolved than the older cousins. And since I'm a graphix junkie, I really have hard time settling with GW2's looks and animations on year 2012. :S

But hey, this time I made the right call and thought I'd skip the whole game. Due to gift copy I still have to give it few more evenings until I'm dragged back to Heroes & Generals.

• bills317bills317 Member Posts: 11
    I am extremely happy with this game , maybe your sore because of another game previously left you bitter.
  • rankor2rankor2 Member UncommonPosts: 115

You might be disappointed in the game. but atleast you own it outright and can give it a shot when bordom hits without signing up for a months sub. 

I love how I don't have to play x amount of hours each week to give it value. 

Blops2 for u op?  

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    Why didn't you play in the beta or stress test to see if you really liked it? Did you prepurchase or something?
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

I've been very sceptical about GW2 and still think that it was much overhyped but after playing it I must admit that it's a well done game although it's story is pure garbage imho. No way I regret buying it for 38 euro (which is cheaper than most spgs) because with no monthly sub it is and will be a good sidegame for me. Just have to find a class I like :)

GW2 is a fun game. Overhyped imho but I also cannot understand people bashibg it.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

I don't play GW2 but just reading these threads is pure entertainment. I thought some of the niche games fans were rabid and unforgiving but apparently the sect-like mentality of fanboism gets worse the more mainstream a game is. Hype is an evil thing, and gamers today are gullible and short-sighted people, rapidly forming lynchmobs when someone says the wrong thing.

The winner argument is "if you don't like GW2 there's something wrong with you" - just LOL. I didn't know GW2 was now the dogma to which everyone have to adapt. I haven't even tried so I don't know if I like it or not, guess I'll have to find out asap just to see whether I'm righteous or heathen... Can't see what's so revolutionary about it though, to me it looks like another hyped-up AAA themepark with a new take on some of the old systems.

The OP can't blame anyone but himself though - he bought the game despite of all the avalaible info. Still, he's entitled to his opinion and the believers will just have to accept that there always will be heretics.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

You robbed yourself by forming false expectations.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Luckily i only paid £44.99 from gamesplanet though!I was expecting to be blown away...stupid me AGAIN.I have given it my best 8 hours of playing but feel uninspired AGAIN.The combat reminds me of warhammer which i hated and the graphics of rift/LOTRO which i hated also AGAIN.The dynamic events are worse than the quest hubs...absolutely mindnumbingly tedious and repetitive AGAIN.Perhaps im burnt out on MMOs but this isnt what i expected AGAIN.The next game i will pay for is WarZ...perhaps sandbox is the way forward.My final thought on MMOs:This wil be the last one i ever motherfukin buy!And i wont be reading this forum again..it is plagued by hidden subliminal messages telling me how great an MMO will be before it is released.Back to Counterstrike until warz...........   

I was going to reply, until I read the OP is not returning to this forum. So, why post this? He should have quietly rode off into the sunset.

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290

How many times does "AGAIN" take to get your point across?. Seriously...

• anemisanemis Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by airborne1312 Luckily i only paid £44.99 from gamesplanet though! I was expecting to be blown away...stupid me AGAIN. I have given it my best 8 hours of playing but feel uninspired AGAIN. The combat reminds me of warhammer which i hated and the graphics of rift/LOTRO which i hated also AGAIN. The dynamic events are worse than the quest hubs...absolutely mindnumbingly tedious and repetitive AGAIN. Perhaps im burnt out on MMOs but this isnt what i expected AGAIN. The next game i will pay for is WarZ...perhaps sandbox is the way forward. My final thought on MMOs: This wil be the last one i ever motherfukin buy! And i wont be reading this forum again..it is plagued by hidden subliminal messages telling me how great an MMO will be before it is released. Back to Counterstrike until warz...........      

Well my friend, If you dont search or investigate enough before purchase any game, than you deserve to be robbed. How can you expected blown away even you dont have an idea about how the game graphics will be. Also how can you not be aware of the combat engine before you bought the game??
    Well.. Thats your fault to buy it gropingly

• HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226
    I'm sorry it isn't what you were expecting or hoping for.  I guess I know how you feel, more or less.

• airborne1312airborne1312 Member Posts: 56

Here again..the original OP

Wipe the rabid froth from your mouths GW2 fanboys and accept a sincere apology

I played it again today and it is beginning to dawn on me that it is actually quite good

Perhaps the 30 mins i gave it wasnt enough...

Playing an elementalist and  the combat is actually very good and the environment and interface.

On par with WOW for its overall polish (werent some of the developers ex WOW?)

Far far better than TERA, RIFT and SWTOR that came delivered and fuked me of my money.

I hated WOW at the start all those years ago so perhaps i was rash in my judgement here.

This is beginning to grow on me....intelligent ppl can be wrong after all ^^

I burned at the stake with my original post but hell im man enought to admit when im wrong.

It is very good..perhaps im not burned out on MMOs after all.

Not a blizzard fanboy but i know a refined MMO when i play one for longer than 30 mins and this gets my seal of approval.

Case dismissed.