Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reddit Thread with Banned Comments...

2»

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Please do not quote these profane examples on our forums. Thanks!
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Ghost12

Looks like we're in Kindergarden here with ArenaNet.

I wonder if they give out gold stars to kids, uhh I mean people who behave properly?

The 3 day instant suspension is outrageous.

On the contrary, the gaming "community" has been forced to live in a kindergarten for years.  I realize that for certain populations, it's really, really, really hard to come up with a name that is not a sample of their maturity level.  Some folks think that the "witter" the name the "wittier" they will appear when they log in and say I pwn'ed your mom, or answer, "your mom," to every query from a "noob" player.

I think what ArenaNet is doing has inspired me to want to play their title.  God knows, if there's one thing immature folks hate, is a gamer who logs in to get a sense of escapism from the real world for an hour or three.  If there's one thing the rest of us hate, is having to wade through a miserable community experience as working adults with families.  We pay for the game too - it would be nice to be able to enjoy it without having to see sillyness - God knows there are plenty of mmo"RPGs" for that sort of thing.

Most mmorpgs won't give an adult player base an heavy RP server on which to have the opportunity to stay away from silly antics and broken communities, yet we still want to play the game - it's very frustrating because I'm sure the silly folks would rather have more silly folks to be silly with.  I'd personally love a strong community because I know that is what it takes to keep an mmorpg healthy for years to come (something most developers have forgotten).

And Ghost12 - I had a chuckle when you typed what you typed - because when I'm at work and I have to tell juvenile offenders to stand in a line because they are acting like ass-hats, the first thing they usually say is, "we aren't in kindergarden."

I am not saying you are x, y or even z, however.   I am just merely pointing out where some folks could be happy about this method of banning/suspending players.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by redman875

Ok...this reddit thread is awesome.

I alway knew that all the people who complained about being banned for no reason where full of it, this proves it without censorship.

However.

I find it very sad that in a mature rated game using swearwords gets you banned.  Lucky reddit doesnt ban for adult language..

I understand when people get racial or go over the top insulting someone to ban them.. some of the sentances being posted as reason for banned is very...PG not rated M or even rated PG13.

Im use to playing sandbox games where you basically need to get over the top racial, using it as an insult, or personally threaten someone or do something serious to get banned...dont think i would last very long in this game given that.  

yeah it sure can be hard to be respectful of others.  cya

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by eyelolled

Ok...this reddit thread is awesome.

I alway knew that all the people who complained about being banned for no reason where full of it, this proves it without censorship.

However.

I find it very sad that in a mature rated game using swearwords gets you banned.  Lucky reddit doesnt ban for adult language..

I understand when people get racial or go over the top insulting someone to ban them.. some of the sentances being posted as reason for banned is very...PG not rated M or even rated PG13.

Im use to playing sandbox games where you basically need to get over the top racial, using it as an insult, or personally threaten someone or do something serious to get banned...dont think i would last very long in this game given that.  

yeah it sure can be hard to be respectful of others.  cya

Well put :)

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Nitth

Sigh, I have a name i want to use, but now im worried someone might miss interprate it.. not that its anyway against their ToS.

So if you know it's a risk and you choose to use it and get banned, will you come here and cry about it?  Or will you man up?  If you  can't man up, then don't to it.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    For me, this is another check mark in Anet's favour. 

I agree!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Nitth

Sigh, I have a name i want to use, but now im worried someone might miss interprate it.. not that its anyway against their ToS.

So if you know it's a risk and you choose to use it and get banned, will you come here and cry about it?  Or will you man up?  If you  can't man up, then don't to it.

I see him pop up a lot around the GW2 forums. He doesn't really say anything directly detractive of the game, rather he keeps this passive aggressive stance. I guess he does it to balance out the overzealous fans around here, but still I don't get it. This is a GW2 forum and people who gather here are supposed to be those who have one thing in common: they like the game and want to talk about it.

• Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684
    Originally posted by Dahkot72

I wonder if they give out gold stars to kids, uhh I mean people who behave properly?

Actually , they don't allow kindergarten classes to act like many of the idiots on the cesspool known as Reddite and SA do.

Arenanet makes me want to spend money in their online store to help support them.

Continue to ban these types AN , and I'll support you for years to come.

Wow. The support of players on this forum and others is kind of scary.

We're talking about an instant suspension. No warning, no nothing.

I dont know what else to say. I support a certain amount of player freedom to do what they want, which includes saying what they want. If players want to curse, then let them curse - it expands that realism. I'm not one to tell players what to do.

You can at least give out a warning. Or give out maybe a 1 day suspension. Something a little less harsh! This is super controlling.

Considering you want to gladly give out more money to Anet is not a total surprise, considering the state of the industry. Everything is about control - including others wanting to control others. I guess that goes in line with the themepark model  - so I'm not totally surprised people support this behavior.

Sad. But, its their game. They can do what they want to do.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Actually , they don't allow kindergarten classes to act like many of the idiots on the cesspool known as Reddite and SA do.

Arenanet makes me want to spend money in their online store to help support them.

I read on the reddit link that they sometimes give leeways and allow the players to change their name and continue playing.

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235

Wow. The support of players on this forum and others is kind of scary.

I dont know what else to say. I support a certain amount of player freedom to do what they want, which includes saying what they want. If players want to curse, then let them curse - it expands that realism. I'm not one to tell players what to do.

You can at least give out a warning. Or give out maybe a 1 day suspension. Something a little less harsh! This is super controlling.

Considering you want to gladly give out more money to Anet is not a total surprise, considering the state of the industry. Everything is about control - including others wanting to control others. I guess that goes in line with the themepark model  - so I'm not totally surprised people support this behavior.

Sad. But, its their game. They can do what they want to do.

I think most of what's being done these first few days is exemplary. If everyone gets a 3-day suspension for foul behaviour, badmouthing or anything else out of line, you are warned. And they stated several times that an F-bomb might happen, but directed insults or just foul language in general that might upset people (within reason of course, I don't think they're the inquisition).

It breaks the mold on the whole culture of accepting those console-gaming headset-wearing kids (yes, I went there... once...) who shout whatever gory language they can think of and then, to add insult to injury, they make the rest of the team exclude you as you're bad/something that should never have seen the light of day.

What does that teach people? Stop acting like a bunch of people escaped from a tourettes-institution (I don't know how else to voice it, no offense meant) and talk decent. Just have fun and act like it, get that stick out of your place where the sun never shines. And if you must insult, try the creative way. I've never gotten banned for calling someone a greasy armpithair :P And it's not even close to what's generally accepted.

One can agree, one can not, but everyone with a decent character must agree that the constant harrassment and insulting is way out of line.

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

However.

Except its not simply using swear words.  I didnt see anyone get banned for something like 'wow that was f***ing awesome!'.  No, its not just people swearing, but people swearing and being asshats while doing it.  

• CurmyCurmy Member UncommonPosts: 18

My account has been blocked, presumably for 3 days, and the only thing I can assume it is is due to a character named 'Mario Walker'. He's a character I let my 3 year old play around with.

The only thing I've said in chat is 'Thanks' and the only thing he has ever said is '++++++'.

If it is the name then cool, I'll happily change it. But let me at least know. It's not as though they don't have my email address.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Curmy

My account has been blocked, presumably for 3 days, and the only thing I can assume it is is due to a character named 'Mario Walker'. He's a character I let my 3 year old play around with.

The only thing I've said in chat is 'Thanks' and the only thing he has ever said is '++++++'.

If it is the name then cool, I'll happily change it. But let me at least know. It's not as though they don't have my email address.

Actually, most of the people who couldn't figure out why they were banned, their account was hacked by gold sellers.

You should contact Arenanet and see what's up, if it's gold sellers they'll help you reset your password and get back.

• vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191

Another possibility is that your account was hacked. Best to contact customer support to find out.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

<3 arenanet 20 kudos for the team.

Nothing worse then a big mouthed scrub calling names to all the people thinking he is a big man.

/report and see you in 72 hours bro.

People need to learn to behave and act to another person as they would be threated.
    Not with shit like what happens in WoW dungeons or / general where ANAL is spammed 24/7 in chat.

standing ovation for Anet.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

You'd be surprised the amount of account thefts that have gone on.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by strangepower  
      You have it backwards, it's the kids who are the ones who feel the need seek attention with offending names and profane language. Adults would be the ones with restraint, consideration for others and a working vocabulary that isn't dependent on adolescent insults and cursing. Not banning offensive behavior would be catering to the kiddies as you put it.
    Age does not define maturity.

Yes, I never mentioned anything about biological age; you quoted me yet deleted who I was responding to making the reply out of context.

I am personally not confused about nor inexperienced with 40 year old children, I work with the public.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    The irish bar owner in Boondock Saints is playing GW2,,,,