Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 hits 400k concurrent users before launch

13»

Comments

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by Angier2758
    Originally posted by William12
    Anyone expecting 2-3 mil sales in the first 60 days is nuts id guess 75% of people who were going to play it already bought it.  Also sales mean NOTHING for GW2 with no subscription model we have no way to determine the revenue the game brings in, but we do know that wow has millions of NA/EU players paying 12-15$ a month.  Also swtor had a million paying subscribers 3 months after launch.   Now can the cash shop makeup for 15m in revenue per month ?  maybe i doubt it.   Make no mistake if you believe box sales/preorders covered the production cost of GW2 you're a fool.

What's your estimate on total cost to produce? 

1 million flat * 60 (assuming everyone only bought the digital copy) = 60 million at the very least revenue.

More likely around 80ish million just from box sales -

What are you estimates for thinking you get every penny when selling something ?   Ever heard of taxes ?  Big companys dont pay much but anet is not a big company better believe they pay taxes on every sale.   You really believe the game cost less then 80m to develop ?   

Also to others swtor had over 1.5 mil preorders just from NA/EU and that doesn't count the digital sales the game sucked but it out sold every new MMO ever and GW2 didnt even come close to matching it.    

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    William

You can't say that until the preorder #'s are released for GW2. Only the prepurchase numbers have been released and "over a million" can means more than exactly one million. Let's wait and see shall we?
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I do agree with you though that sales don't equal quality. The argument seems to be if the excitement here equated in sales. So far I think it has.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by DaezAster
    Didn't guild wars 1 sell like 6-7 million copies. Wouldn't most agree gw2 will be a more well known and bigger game overall. I wouldn't have thought gw1 did those numbers but it would be resonable to assume the sequal will do as good if not better no?

See GW1 was effectively 4 games so 1.5 million players buy all four equating to 6 million also there were constant bundle packs and cheap offer packs as well, so the initial number is probably higher, I bought Nightfall first and then bopught the original game at discount prices though I thought the game was a quality game it never grabbed me like other games so I didn't play for long. GW2 is one game so far and we have to see how they roll out expac content, box or no box, so to think that GW2 will get up to those numbers is not looking at the whole picture. 

Your numbers are a bit wrong. By December 2008, GW1 had almost 6 milion unique accounts.

Makes one wonder what they mean with "unique account" and if buying original and then an "expansion" counts as two accounts or just one.  Anyone with a lack of scruples can manipulate numbers by first counting each as self-contained account, then merging it seconds later, but then typing in the former number in the reports. To avoid the presentation issues, it would have been better to just present how many units of each part of GW1 were sold and how many combination packs were sold. Not that hard, they have the numbers.

Or we can, you know, take of our tin foil hats and not create ridiculous conspiracies.

Well, there has to be an explanation for why that number is so high.  The April 24th 2009 information at http://us.ncsoft.com/en/news/press-releases/guild-wars-surpasses-six-million-units-sold.html states that " Guild Wars franchise has exceeded six million units sold." and "The Guild Wars universe contains three campaigns and an expansion pack: Guild WarsGuild Wars Factions®, Guild Wars Nightfall®, and Guild Wars: Eye of the North®". Do note the words "franchise" and the clarification of what the Guild Wars universe was at that time; that suggests that eachunit for each part of the franchise was counted individually when calculating the "six million units".

Another possible explanation for why the account number was so high is due to possible trial accounts. What would your explanation be that would explain both the "Guild Wars franchise has exceeded six million units sold."  and "GW1 had almost 6 million unique accounts"?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    We will get good and exact numbers of the launch soon enough and hopefully is this game not one of the "one week wonders" we seen plenty of the last 5 years, selling a million or more the first week and then almost nothing after that.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by Aelious
    That link doesn't work right. Also, what is the context of the prediction? Launch, month? Year? I predicted three million the first month I believe. 1 milion from prepurchasers without numbers for preorder or after launch seems to fit. 9 million for the year may seem like a stretch but who knows.

The link works for me but here's some highlights and they are a range from headstart to Christmas, but basically overall sales. Also Atlan99 and Colddog have a bet going and I think Atlan odds on favorite so far.

Gestalt 4 mil

Oldmanfunk 4.5/5 mil

Fiontar 4.36 mil

Colddog 6/9 mil

Lobotomist 3/8 mil

Lord.Bachus 3/6 mil

Fivoroth 5 mil

Hey, be fair. I actually said in my post I was being ridiculous.

Edit: This was a 2 month/year mark as well. So you are misrepresenting what people in that thread were saying.